Lack of HU Sports Advertising/Marketing is UNACCEPTABLE

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
HU95

Re: Lack of HU Sports Advertising/Marketing is UNACCEPTABLE

Post by HU95 »

HUSID80 wrote:Come on! No promotions to welcome the students back...How about a t shirt and free pizza??????? NOTHING??? Even watched the guy who took the halfcourt shot...they put a shirt on him for the shots and THEN TOOK IT BACK! WHATS GOING ON HERE?
I agree with the amazement of how stingy they are with promotions. Last year, there was a T-shirt giveaway for the first x-number of students. There were hundreds of shirts in boxes and maybe only 100 students. When I went to the table with my Faculty ID, I was refused, stating for students only. Even my son (5 years old- wearing his #22 t-shirt) seemed annoyed.

Not that I am saying that you need to coddle everyone, but you should at least try to keep your core audience happy - otherwise, how would expect to build?

Fast forward to this year. My son's cub scout troop went to SB for a game. Everyone walked out with a free mini BB. Driving home, I asked him which game he liked better, the HU game we went to earlier in the year or the SB game. You can guess his answer...as he was bouncing his new ball against his seat. Little things like that go a long way.
HofstraMathew

Post by HofstraMathew »

For midnight madness they did two promotions for students: gave out free t-shirts to the first 1,000 students and gave a certain amount of money (I can't remember the amount) to the club or organization that had the most members there. And I know they ended up with over 1,000 students as an intern at my job (whose a student) went and they had already ran out of t-shirts. I can't imagine this had cost them that much; if they just do this for maybe 4-5 games a year it could start developing a solid student section which is really the base of the home court advantage.
kkan126

Post by kkan126 »

Little perspective from a student:

The lack of home games in the first semester DEFINITELY killed the ability to lure in freshmen to the games and become fans. I know the SBU game last year hooked some (some) fans in, as did some giveaways.

Not saying that should excuse anything...I know when to go to games because I cover them/am a big fan. If I was simply a casual student who would go to games if I needed something to do, I'm not sure I would even have heard of them from campus promotion.

Sad because 1. It has to hurt the seniors that just want to be appreciated on the way out and 2. It has to deter potential freshmen who come to games and see the lack of support.
joeg1

Post by joeg1 »

If there is ever a game where the team needs support, it is Thurs vs uncw with 1st place on the line.
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

kkan126 wrote:Little perspective from a student:

The lack of home games in the first semester DEFINITELY killed the ability to lure in freshmen to the games and become fans. I know the SBU game last year hooked some (some) fans in, as did some giveaways.

Not saying that should excuse anything...I know when to go to games because I cover them/am a big fan. If I was simply a casual student who would go to games if I needed something to do, I'm not sure I would even have heard of them from campus promotion.

Sad because 1. It has to hurt the seniors that just want to be appreciated on the way out and 2. It has to deter potential freshmen who come to games and see the lack of support.
Tell us what should be done to engage the students. Has anyone from Athletics asked?
Wags

Post by Wags »

The Shadow wrote:On another thread, there was a mention of HU should change conferences because the CAAT is going to South Carolina instead of Baltimore. With those attendance totals, what other conference would welcome HU? Do any of you think the A10 would even consider HU? You really cannot make a logical reason for acceptance. These poor numbers are with a team tied for FIRST PLACE at the half point of the CAA season. The numbers speak volumes in the lack of marketing, student interest, and community support. Remember not doing enough is a choice that is made by the administration of the college. The athletic department acts under those guidelines. I hope the next four games show a remarkable change, but I really do not think it will happen. The famous Bill Parcells' quote sums this up: "You are what your record says you are."
You could argue to the A-10 that if Hofstra were playing higher profile teams from a higher profile conference, they might draw more. The Mack has been far different when that has happened, even for games against CAA teams, as well as others (i.e. when Mason visited as the 25th-ranked team in the nation; when ODU visited with a trip to MSG in the NIT on the line; or when Nebraska visited for the NIT). And of course it was packed and loud for the two America East title games.

But there is something else that is definitely going on this year, for whatever reason, which is holding attendance down way more than the level it should be at.

THIS should never happen this year, and this is exactly what the marketing department needs to dive into to figure out why it's happening, or at least look at this and and look in the mirror as to why this happens:

Drexel: 9th place, 3-18 overall, 1-9 in the CAA, plays in basically slightly a spruced-up, small high school gym
Hofstra: tied for 1st; 16-6 overall, 8-2 in the CAA, plays in a pretty nice, 5,000-seat basketball arena

1/14, Drexel at Hofstra; attendance: 1,102
1/30, Hofstra at Drexel; attendance: 1,510

Given where those two teams are this year, and the two different arenas they play in, even switching those two attendance numbers around would be embarrassing from a Hofstra standpoint. But for Drexel to outdraw Hofstra in the two games against each other THIS year? I don't even know what to say about that.

If this year's Drexel team is drawing 1,510 for Hofstra, this year's Hofstra should be drawing TWICE that against Drexel and exceeding that, up to 3,500 or 4,000, for much bigger games. Yet based on what we've seen this season, something tells me that even a first-place showdown with UNCW on Thursday night will have a hard time beating out what Drexel drew against Hofstra this weekend. And that would really suck, because 4,000+ in a loud, electric environment is what Hofstra, UNCW, their fans and the CAA all deserve on Thursday night. And it would and should be a special night. But the track record sadly doesn't suggest that will happen.
Dooku25

Post by Dooku25 »

We are officially the forgotten program. Heard the last few 20/20 updates on WFAN this morning. They announced a lengthy list of local college hoops scores from yesterday. Seton Hall, Fordham, Monmouth, Sacred Heart, LIU, Fairleigh Dickinson, Wagner, St Francis Brooklyn.... And of course NO HOFSTRA. Back in the day we were always on the 20/20 updates. You would think somebody at the school would call the WFAN and enlighten them. Nobody in our athletic department is probably listening though.

We continue to be a great team that nobody knows about except for the fortunate few on this board and those who attend the games.
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

In all fairness we were mentioned on CBS-880 sports updates.
Dooku25

Post by Dooku25 »

HUSID80 wrote:In all fairness we were mentioned on CBS-880 sports updates.
Glad to hear that, but I rather be mentioned on an actual sports talk radio station especially while the ratings king Francesa is doing his show. That is the audience you would prefer hearing a Hofstra score if you were the administration I would think.
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

Dooku25 wrote:
HUSID80 wrote:In all fairness we were mentioned on CBS-880 sports updates.
Glad to hear that, but I rather be mentioned on an actual sports talk radio station especially while the ratings king Francesa is doing his show. That is the audience you would prefer hearing a Hofstra score if you were the administration I would think.
Especially if Francesa happens to be wearing his Hofstra Football windbreaker like he often does. No excuse to "forget" about Hofstra then.
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

I REALLY HOPE the school does some special promotions for the Thurs game...no excuses, battle for first place, students in school, no weather issues.

They should be over in the MACK RIGHT NOW planning the giveaways, advertising, promotions that will GET PEOPLE IN THE BUILDING!
Wags

Post by Wags »

Dooku25 wrote:We are officially the forgotten program. Heard the last few 20/20 updates on WFAN this morning. They announced a lengthy list of local college hoops scores from yesterday. Seton Hall, Fordham, Monmouth, Sacred Heart, LIU, Fairleigh Dickinson, Wagner, St Francis Brooklyn.... And of course NO HOFSTRA. Back in the day we were always on the 20/20 updates. You would think somebody at the school would call the WFAN and enlighten them. Nobody in our athletic department is probably listening though.

We continue to be a great team that nobody knows about except for the fortunate few on this board and those who attend the games.
That's ridiculous. Hofstra is better than most of those schools, plays in a better league than most of them, and of course beat one of them (Sacred Heart) this season.

There really seems to be something behind the scenes that we don't know about. I know men's college hoops is the one sport Rabinowitz always cared about (because he certainly didn't care about football at all), but there were also rumblings in the past that as long as the med school was built and the focus was on academics first (which, it should be), then the heck with athletics at Hofstra (which should never be; there can be a balance between the two). I know this is very conspiracy-ish, but I'm starting to wonder if this is all somehow intentional and the very top is just fine with it. There is no way in a season like this, Hofstra shouldn't be mentioned in the 20/20 updates or draw less vs. a lousy Drexel team than what that same Drexel team drew against Hofstra, and we very little or no advertising for the team and its games all season. When that happens, you start to think that perhaps what was said in the past might be true.
Wags

Post by Wags »

HUSID80 wrote:I REALLY HOPE the school does some special promotions for the Thurs game...no excuses, battle for first place, students in school, no weather issues.

They should be over in the MACK RIGHT NOW planning the giveaways, advertising, promotions that will GET PEOPLE IN THE BUILDING!
Well this will be the true test, won't it?

If we see/hear of a ramped up effort in terms publicizing this game on campus and in the local media, then we know they care.

If on the other hand, it's business as usual, then as I said above, maybe some of those past rumors might be coming to fruition now. That, or they DO care, DO want it to succeed, or are just completely clueless or lazy as to how to go about backing that up.
RollPride15

Post by RollPride15 »

This should be an easy sell...16-6, first in the conference, clear star players and a charismatic coach. I feel like you could take a savvy PR undergraduate and get better results. It feels like there's no effort to engage the students or community at all. The fact of the matter is that students won't just show up to games because the team is good, there are too many other potential uses of their time. You need to sell it.

For students, offer a serious promotion, get a big kickass poster of Juan'ya or someone in action, put it in the student center. Reach out to groups, the frats and different clubs (there are only ten million on campus) specifically in addition to an e-blast. I think we'll be good for years to come, and it's a building process, so get fans in there now. Make it the thing to do on a Saturday/Thursday.

For the community, I can only say the same thing we've been saying...Use the radio and papers to get news out to some people. And get some viral-type recognition with a highlight vid, Instagram JWF's practice dunks, something.

It's not rocket science, and that's why it's frustrating to watch the incompetence unfold.
pridehoops2015

Post by pridehoops2015 »

Dooku25 wrote:We are officially the forgotten program. Heard the last few 20/20 updates on WFAN this morning. They announced a lengthy list of local college hoops scores from yesterday. Seton Hall, Fordham, Monmouth, Sacred Heart, LIU, Fairleigh Dickinson, Wagner, St Francis Brooklyn.... And of course NO HOFSTRA. Back in the day we were always on the 20/20 updates. You would think somebody at the school would call the WFAN and enlighten them. Nobody in our athletic department is probably listening though.

lets relax. it was probably the idiots fault doing updates on a sunday morning. i heard them all yesterday after our game.
Pride97

Post by Pride97 »

This is probably an oversight today. I listen to The Fan a lot and have heard Hofstra on the 20/20 many times this year even when it's just listing the locals who won (no scores, just a list of teams). I think some on this board are taking it a little far. I understand and completely agree the attendance is a big problem, but I don't think they are calling WFAN to tell them to leave Hofstra out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Flying Dutchmen

Post by Flying Dutchmen »

Not particularly concerned if we're on WFAN's 20/20 update in general, but I've noticed they do forget to put us and Stony Brook on there, depending who is reading the update.

Sometimes it feels like there is some type of de-emphasis of sports going on, just how there was a strange lack of promotion for the football team the last few years of the program, but the school did just spend a lot of money upgrading our basketball facilities! Why would you spend millions of dollars upgrading our facilities, just to drop the program to D-III?

Maybe the reality is that the school doesn't really care if 1500 or 3000 people show up for the game, it's not going to change the fact it will never be a profitable program. Maybe spending more money on newspaper/TV/radio promotions just leads to a larger net loss, whether attendance goes up or not.

Also, we have a great athletics website, CAASports is a great website, and we have a great communications school that makes our athletics program incredibly accessible for anybody who is interested. I feel like we are ahead of many of our peer schools on that front. Most people 40 and younger get most of their information through the internet anyway, I just don't feel that people my age will see an article in the Newsday or hear a commercial on WFAN (which do exist for Hofstra Hoops, I've heard them this year) and say "I should really go to a Hofstra game!" If anything, showing up on the ESPN top ten, or getting a big social media blast for that Koon dunk will get people inquiring about the program.

The only thing that really bothers me is that the students are barely showing up. Word will get around town if we're a winning program, and attendance will go up, but the student section should be a constant. Ramp up the T-shirt promotions at the very least, that always gets people in the door.
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

The women are also playing for first place, Friday night at home against JMU. That makes 2 consecutive games at Hofstra with first place on the line, probably one of the most important stretches of basketball the school has hosted in several years. NOW is the time for the school to start promoting these 2 games. Both teams really need the support.

Jerry Beach tweeted that this is the first time in the 23 years he's been attending HU games that both teams are playing at home with first place on the line.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

So the womens team with a 16-4 record and 7-2 in conference played in front of 245 today. According to the Hofstra website that brings their attendance avg to 372. This is after a 1,875 one time promo crowd the last game. Our worst attendance since the MACK opened is 391. there are only I think three games left to get the attendance over 391. SBU just drew 918 for their womens game on saturday.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Just finished watching the replay of the Hofstra-Drexel game on SNY. Right after the game was over, BOOM a commercial for Fairfield basketball.