MBB vs. Elon, 1/28

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
Wags

MBB vs. Elon, 1/28

Post by Wags »

Should be a fairly easy win, but Hofstra really struggled with Elon (which at 3-5, sits in 8th place) on the road earlier this month, before barely getting by the Phoenix, 80-76.

So, can't take anything for granted because there's a lot at stake in this one:

1) Continue to build on the momentum of two great wins at Northeastern and against William & Mary.
2) UNCW will play at JMU simultaneously, so a win not only means remaining in a tie for 1st place with the winner of that game, but also means moving one game ahead of the loser of that contest.
3) A chance to close out the first half of the CAA schedule with three straight wins and a very solid 7-2 record prior to starting the second half at Drexel, and then guess who? ... UNCW at home, followed by a trip to JMU (on Super Bowl Sunday).
HofstraMathew

Re: MBB vs. Elon, 1/28

Post by HofstraMathew »

Definitely two must wins coming up on the schedule before a tough 3 game stretch (UNCW @JMU @W&M).

If they keep the focus they should have no problem getting the W here. Will be interesting to see if Nichols plays or is on the bench. Even if we see him on the bench and he is walking around ok that would be a great sign.
Hofstra

Post by Hofstra »

I agree with the OP on this one.. This win should be easy peasy. Anything less, will really be unfortunate. The team is ROLLING right now, and have to continue to put the pedal to the metal.

Hoping to remain tied for first at the end of the night. This is also a game where we can really measure ourselves. If it is a blowout, run away game, maybe this team really turned the page on their sluggish play.

I am actually making the trip up after work from Staten Island. Second game of the year, can't wait.
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

We open as 11.5 point favorites.
Flying Dutchmen

Post by Flying Dutchmen »

Elon has an injury to freshman guard Steven Santa Ana, broken hand, so I think he'll be out for tomorrow's game.

Weird fact, Elon hoisted up 29 three point attempts in four of their last five games. If we shut them down from the perimeter, it's going to be a big win for us.

Obviously, I'm very curious to see how the rotation changes now that Malik is out, we have to find a way to replace his defensive intensity.

Overall, the team is playing very well on both sides of the ball and our shot selection has been very strong since the CoC loss. If the shots keep falling like they were in the William and Mary game, it will be a comfortable win. Here's hoping the students come out for this one.
Polito

Post by Polito »

Just remember, Elon is not a total pushover like they once were... and HU still hasn't shaken that rep of playing to the opponents level - want to see them maintain a very high level of play, and bury them if possible

this late in the year the team doesn't need any nail biters against teams they shouldn't struggle against - rest of the season is an ode to Nichols, so take care of biz fellas!
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

ProudofPride wrote: We open as 11.5 point favorites.
I'm surprised it's that much. Here is what the Sagarin and its components say:

Overall: Hofstra by 10.57
Predictor: Hofstra by 10.36
Golden_Mean: Hofstra by 10.24
Recent: Hofstra by 11.65
Wags

Post by Wags »

Flying Dutchmen wrote:Elon has an injury to freshman guard Steven Santa Ana, broken hand, so I think he'll be out for tomorrow's game.

Weird fact, Elon hoisted up 29 three point attempts in four of their last five games. If we shut them down from the perimeter, it's going to be a big win for us.
Easier said than done. The 3 ball was the only thing that kept Elon in the game two HU road games ago, and the same for Northeastern in HU's last road game.
Polito

Post by Polito »

I would REALLY like to see AW, JWF, and DB get serious minutes in this game in preparation for the tougher conf opponents still on the plate - get these guys into a real groove asap.

Of course, that likely won't happen because it's what I think is the best plan to effectively navigate MN's injury :roll: based on this season, can prob count on the exact opposite to happen and they somehow get LESS minutes!! LOL :?
HofstraMathew

Post by HofstraMathew »

Polito wrote:I would REALLY like to see AW, JWF, and DB get serious minutes in this game in preparation for the tougher conf opponents still on the plate - get these guys into a real groove asap.

Of course, that likely won't happen because it's what I think is the best plan to effectively navigate MN's injury :roll: based on this season, can prob count on the exact opposite to happen and they somehow get LESS minutes!! LOL :?
I think AW's minutes will be directly related to RG's foul trouble. If RG isn't in foul trouble and is playing a solid game then he could be in there 35 minutes; not necessarily saying its the right decision just what I think will happen.

I think DB will get the same amount as he has been getting and we may see JWF in the 5-10 minute range (probably closer to 5) depending on foul trouble and how everyone else is playing. Like if AT or DK needs a rest it won't be AW coming in but most likely JWF. Just my opinion.
HU87

Post by HU87 »

Anyone else feel like we're underestimating Elon a bit right now? They have wins @Charlotte, @JMU, and @CofC. They also gave us a great game last time we played. I think we'll win, and I'm going to the game, but I'm just surprised that people are referring to this as a cupcake game. At this point in conference play, if we're not playing Drexel or UD, we're playing an RPI top 125 team with provens wins on their resume.
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

I expect JG, BB, AT, DK and RK to start tonight. If RK tires or picks up two early fouls, I think JAM will move AT over to center and bring in DB. I don't think AW or JWF will see much PT. And, of course, MN, JR, DP, HS and ID won't get in the game at all.

What do you all think?
Wags

Post by Wags »

Jojogunne wrote:I expect JG, BB, AT, DK and RK to start tonight. If RK tires or picks up two early fouls, I think JAM will move AT over to center and bring in DB. I don't think AW or JWF will see much PT. And, of course, MN, JR, DP, HS and ID won't get in the game at all.

What do you all think?
Tough to go completely by recent trends with MN no longer available. But I agree with the above. No way the starting lineup would change now just because HU lost its 6th man. That starting lineup is set for the rest of the year as long as it stays healthy (no jinxes, please, now that I just said that!). JAM has strongly favored Buie as the 7th man over anyone else recently, and I expect he still will, now as the 6th man, without going too far beyond that.

Even with Malik playing only 12 min (because of 4 fouls) -- 6 below his season average -- JAM still didn't play AW, gave only 1 min to JWF and played Buie for 13 min in HU's last game against Elon.

Speaking of that game, HU really has to keep tabs on Tanner Samson on the perimeter, on every Elon half-court possession tonight. He went 7/9 from 3 vs. HU last time.
Flying Dutchmen

Post by Flying Dutchmen »

Jojogunne wrote:I expect JG, BB, AT, DK and RK to start tonight. If RK tires or picks up two early fouls, I think JAM will move AT over to center and bring in DB. I don't think AW or JWF will see much PT. And, of course, MN, JR, DP, HS and ID won't get in the game at all.

What do you all think?
I fully agree. You and HofstraMat are spot on with the rotation for tonight's game. Hoping to see more of AW and JWF, but we probably won't see too much more of them, probably more minutes for Rokas and AT. Koon can't play much more minutes, he's going 35+ seemingly every game.

I think Elon is a good team, I just feel it comes down to us hitting our open shots.

We ride the wave with Mihalich more than any team I can remember. If we hit shots, it allows us to get set in our defense, and the opposition's shooting percentage goes down, and we get in more fast break opportunities, where we have had a lot of success. When we miss the open shots, we end up getting caught in transition a lot, leading to easy buckets, and we lose the fast break opportunities. I mean, that's basketball in a nutshell, but I feel like our teams are highly susceptible to big point swings.
joeg1

Post by joeg1 »

What do you all think?
Maybe MN will pull a Willis Reed.

Also, I think JM will wear a tie.
HofstraMathew

Post by HofstraMathew »

HU87 wrote:Anyone else feel like we're underestimating Elon a bit right now? They have wins @Charlotte, @JMU, and @CofC. They also gave us a great game last time we played. I think we'll win, and I'm going to the game, but I'm just surprised that people are referring to this as a cupcake game. At this point in conference play, if we're not playing Drexel or UD, we're playing an RPI top 125 team with provens wins on their resume.
They are a good team but Hofstra should be the better team. Anyone can beat anyone in this conference; even Drexel was up 8 against UNCW late in the game Sunday. But with that said if Hofstra can come out and play there game plan I don't see any reason why we shouldn't win this.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

http://stats.statbroadcast.com/broadcast/?id=105889&a=1 will have statistics. Hofstra is starting Green, Tanksley, Gustys, Koon, and Bernardi. Elon is starting Luke Eddy (guard), Dmitri Thompson (guard), Tanner Samson (guard), Christian Hairston (forward), and Tyler Seibring (forward). http://caasports.com/custompages/stats/ ... m#team.ind has Elon's statistics.
dutchiedoright

Post by dutchiedoright »

I am not sure why, but i don't like us in this spot. I am leery of Elon.

Even though Elon shot the lights out from the arc in the first game, they were also "tougher" than I thought they would be.

I'd like to see us come out with some "dog" in us and grab them by the throat from the jump. Then, I might feel a little more at-ease....

I'm hoping that the MN news gives the boys fire and is not a distraction.....
Wags

Post by Wags »

dutchiedoright wrote:I am not sure why, but i don't like us in this spot. I am leery of Elon.

Even though Elon shot the lights out from the arc in the first game, they were also "tougher" than I thought they would be.

I'd like to see us come out with some "dog" in us and grab them by the throat from the jump. Then, I might feel a little more at-ease....

I'm hoping that the MN news gives the boys fire and is not a distraction.....
The way the often operate, it could be both. They're the type of team that might let it be a distraction in the first half and then have it motivate them a lot in the second half.
Wags

Post by Wags »

Walker was warming up with his warm-ups off. He at least LOOKED like he expected to get some more playing time tonight. We shall see.