MBB attendance VS performance

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
Flying Dutchmen

Re: MBB attendance VS performance

Post by Flying Dutchmen »

Polito wrote:NO. There is ZERO chance of this guys. Please, let's stop even entertaining this idea - that's how bad rumors get started. That has never been even a discussion IMO unless someone with real cred can show me PROOF otherwise. HU is all for having a quality D1 dept, and they do. They NEVER would've bothered with JM and vice versa if anything other than that was true. Now it's about getting them to commit FULLY - to make that 'all in' type move and make this an absolute priority.

I know what you're saying FD, but allow me to help clarify - it is not all about having a great product. That helps, BUT it's really about marketing the absolute hell out of what you have - FEATURES and BENEFITS - if it was just a good product how could McDonald's be what it is?

Why does Coca Cola even bother anymore? They are in basically every country in the WORLD, and you'd have to travel to the depths of a remote 3rd world jungle to find a human who either has never tasted it or never seen their logo - it's the most recognized brand on the entire planet. No need to market anymore right? Obviously wrong. Coca Cola spent almost 3.5 BILLION (< yep that's a B) in 2013 on advertising - crazy right? Wanna know what their plan was going forward? To INCREASE it...by *1 BILLION* by 2016.

The most famous brand in the known world who puts out a great product and has global recognition is putting MORE into marketing. But we think HU supporters should just 'show up' ? LOL, um, no.

The scandal is so far old news I bet 85% of the campus doesn't even know it happened - that's a non-factor. And it's DEF a non-factor for the community. What IS a factor is that most people don't even realize there is a high quality *D1* program at HU with next level talent and a shot to make national noise in their own backyard, playing in a beautiful facility and costs nothing more than a couple of bucks

I can't think of a better sporting event to keep your kids occupied with family fun for any cheaper - or watch top notch D1 ball - or continue following top local players - or support your community - or get a break from whatever - or just about a million things that can be marketed about this

I was there NYE game with the Mrs, and we took our 2 1/2 yr old twins... and they had a blast - as did we. And it was a joke $ wise. But see I KNOW that already - HU has GOT to educate the rest of Long Island - There's about a million and half in Nassau and Suffolk, plus another 1.5-2.5 million each in Queens and Brooklyn (if not more) - there is no excuse for this winning quality program to not avg a measely 2500 fans a game.

I GUARANTEE a quality marketing firm could accomplish that as soon as THIS season, and at worst NEXT with the proper ideas and appropriate budget. Ain't that tough, just have to actually CARE about it.

I ultimately agree with you Polito, but I would argue you have to sell a product people want to buy, and that's the issue with our program. Even this year, when we're pretty good, the program still has to show that they are a winner.

So when we take the title this year, hell yea, let's ramp up ticket sales marketing in the off-season, I think we have the pieces in place worth investing marketing money into.
garyg

Post by garyg »

Hey Polito...maybe they should name you director of marketing...LOL...I agree with most of what you said...you put quality product on floor and then market the heck out of it...alumni,students, friends and the community need to be made aware that quality, exciting, entertaining D-I basketball is right in their backyard at very affordable prices....
RollPride15

Post by RollPride15 »

There's a big disconnect between most students and the basketball players. They should do some things to give students an actual reason to root for the players besides the name on the jersey. It wouldn't take much, just show up to the Student Center with a mini bball hoop "Beat Brian Bernardi in a three point contest and win a free lunch!" or something. A big reason why most students aren't interested is because the team isn't good enough to be known for it, they're busy with internships and homework and whatever else, and they don't know the players. College basketball attendance is declining across the country, so it isn't just a Hofstra problem, but it would help, from a marketing standpoint, to make the players likable and more approachable.
Dooku25

Post by Dooku25 »

There must be something in the water at Hofstra. Most students didn't care much about the team when I was there and that was when a future NBA first round draft pick was dunking on people. I was a commuter and from my standpoint, the school did a bad job promoting him and the team back then as well. I had to discover the team on my own.

Anyway, I nominate Cactus to head the HU Hoops Marketing Department!
Flying Dutchmen

Post by Flying Dutchmen »

RollPride15 wrote:A big reason why most students aren't interested is because the team isn't good enough to be known for it, they're busy with internships and homework and whatever else, and they don't know the players. College basketball attendance is declining across the country, so it isn't just a Hofstra problem, but it would help, from a marketing standpoint, to make the players likable and more approachable.
LOL come on man!

Sure, I was busier than most when I was in school ('09), but nobody's at an internship at 7pm on Saturday night, just bring the pregame to the Mack!!

But you bring up a great point RollPride, attendance is down nationally. Personally, I think it's just all the distractions readily available at everyone's disposal, it creates collective action issues in all aspects of our society. But to be cliche', you really only get to live the college life for four years, I feel like it's worth investing into the school community while you're there. Student support for the men's hoops team needs to be driven by the students, not the school. The school will respond to the demand, by providing buses to the CAAT, and fun giveaways at the games, we even got a pregame dinner/peptalk with Tom Pecora set up before the George Mason game in '06. Hoops brings people together, seriously, I met some of my closest friends to this day following the team's run in '06, good ass times.
HU87

Post by HU87 »

I think it all comes down to sustained success, and always will. I remember packing the old gym during Speedy's first years, and then packing the Mack for the AE finals. It's no coincidence that our last major sustained attendance runs were 1998-2001, and 2004-2006. Those were dominant, winning years, and the stands reflected that. There were students in the student section, and the team would thank them after every game.

If we go on a run in CAA play and make some noise, the students will come.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Again I am not saying we should be packing the MACK but can we at least get 2,000 on a regular basis. The men are drawing what a mid major womens team draws. The women unfortunately are drawing high school crowds.Truthfully I think by next year if the men dont avg 2,500 and the women dont draw 1,000 avg then heads should roll.
The Shadow

Post by The Shadow »

How about looking at other metropolitan New York Teams. Fordham defeated LaSalle at Rose Hill to go 10-3. The attendance was listed as 1024 for an A-10 league game. Columbia defeated UMES at Levian to go 9-6. The attendance was listed as 868. The poor attendance at these events reflects what is really a local area effect. Many casual fans do not know or really care that these colleges play at a D-1 level. They are aware of the Big East, ACC, or other power conferences. There is lack of knowledge for other programs until the NCAA tournament. This usually runs out about the time that 16 teams remain. How many George Mason or Florida Gulf Coast fans remain. The NIT and the Holiday Festival are shells of what they were in past decades. That is really the point. Newspaper ads in Newsday will only go as far as the dwindling circulation. Radio broadcasts are also not as popular because of the use of internet feeds. Most overly stressed people would rather just flip through the sports channels on TV rather than get themselves to a game in person of some colleges that hold little interest to them. It is just not going to happen. You have to have the "HOT" ticket to create any outside interest. I think we all are open to any reasonable and cost effective new ideas. Why don't we as fans come up with some? Hey, a good new idea is better than trying what has been proven not to work.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Bumped to the top . Now that both teams coming off of wins are now in first place in the CAA. Lets see if the students and the fans come out.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

Over the weekend our Men's Basketball opponent and Women's Basketball opponent each made 5 out of 13 free throws in games Hofstra won by 4.
Polito

Post by Polito »

I guarantee, all things equal with talent and wins, if I had an appropriate budget and the ability/autonomy to do some cool things I would get that team avg 2k plus in YEAR 1. 2500+ year 2.

And as a bonus, with an appropriate Mens Lax HC (...ahem...Amplo) I would have that team avg. 2k plus with a couple of big game 8+k games mixed in for good measure.

Then, once it became clear I was a promo fan excitement marketing maverick, I'd be paid handsomely to head up a team dedicated to attendance across all sports. Then I'd be literally handed the AD role due to overwhelming results for being incredible at all things HU athletics.

Soon after, HU unveils a D1 *FBS* level football program with a sick 50k seat stadium (to start) and cool regional home games like Army, Rutgers, Temple, PSU, 'Cuse, UConn, Buffalo, Maryland, Pitt, BC and of course ND because that places OWES NY everything for landing on Channel 4 every friggin Sat, forcing themselves down everyones throats even though no one around here could give 2 rips about the 'Fightin Irish'

HU would also institute a massive marching band to create the rocking atmosphere needed - all under my leadership of course.

Then after a whirlwind 5 yr run producing a dept that dominates LI (c ya wolves), is a big dog in the ti-state, and relavant on the national scene, I'd receive tremendous compensation due to the skyrocketing attendance, increased student population, ever present rising costs in general, and retire young and live life to the fullest with my beautiful family.

The end.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Then Polito wakes up and realizes it was all one big wet dream. LOL! precursor is that Rabinowitz wakes up and is given a judgeship and resigns as Hofstra president. hofstra then announces its new president a week latter. It is none other than ex NY Knick and ex NJ congressman Bill Bradley.
HU95

Post by HU95 »

Sorry for reposting this but unfortunately while waiting to be approved as a new member, this post got buried...
HU95 wrote:Long time reader over on the old CAAZone...just had to comment on the attendance issue. Sorry if long-winded.

Unfortunately, HU has always had the attitude that people would come just because we're Hofstra. The sad reality is that I have never seen any attempt to reach out to the community to get them interested in Dutch (sorry) sports. Just to give you an idea, as you can tell from my name, I go back to the Mary Beth Cary commercials.

On the other hand, I currently live out in Suffolk County. Although I have brought my son to the Mack multiple times for BB, when we go to our local McDonalds, on each tray is a paper with the Stony Brook Men's & Women's schedules & a coupon for Buy 1 get 1 tix. My son has now been asking me to take him to SB for a game. Obviously, advertising works.

Additionally, in the fall, SB had a booth set up at the local town fair. This is something the HU can easily do at local events. In the absence of accomplishing anything (NCAA appearance), you need to make people WANT to come.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

HU95 welcome aboard. No pun intended. I have been saying this for years. The bellmore Street fair, one of the oldest in Nassau county gets between 50,000 to 75,000 visitors during a weekend in the early fall. Cost of a booth or table is under $1,500. There are 10 similar fairs during the summer and fall. You are talking about reaching almost a half million potential fans. besides Mc Donalds how about those place mats that are in every diner. While waiting for your food you have a captive audience. Want other forms of advertising . How about at movie theaters with advertising on screen before the film comes on.
Wags

Post by Wags »

HU95 wrote: Long time reader over on the old CAAZone.
Dutch (sorry) sports.
Welcome back! You NEVER have to apologize for using Dutch over Pride (especially here, given the name of this board!).
HU95 wrote: when we go to our local McDonalds, on each tray is a paper with the Stony Brook Men's & Women's schedules & a coupon for Buy 1 get 1 tix. My son has now been asking me to take him to SB for a game. Obviously, advertising works.

Additionally, in the fall, SB had a booth set up at the local town fair. This is something the HU can easily do at local events. In the absence of accomplishing anything (NCAA appearance), you need to make people WANT to come.
Perfect examples, especially the McDonald's one. Absolutely no reason why these things (along with advertising in the Newsday sports section, as I suggested earlier in this thread) shouldn't be done.
garyg

Post by garyg »

Do not be surprised of Stony Brook average attendance is close to 4500 in 2 years as their program continues to evolve
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Gary their new arena only sits about 4,100.
Wags

Post by Wags »

I think the makeup of who lives out there has a lot to do with comparing SBU and HU. Just a different demographic, more like the feel you'd get in Midwest towns, where it's more of "a thing" to go to the game with family and friends out there than it is in Hempstead.

It just seems more family oriented, with younger kids out there, and less to do other than shop or eat out there... whereas, from Nassau, you can much more easily get to Manhattan or elsewhere in the NYC area. So more to pull more people away from attending HU basketball games in Nassau.

I think that's exactly why Ducks games still remain pretty popular where they play, and why (after the initial novelty wore off) I don't think they'd get the same kind of draw if they had built the minor league park they were talking about as part of the Lighthouse project or similar plan.

So I think it's more about that than anything else -- BUT, the fact that SBU does things like the 2-for-1 on a tray in a local McDonald's or advertising elsewhere, and that HU seems to willingly pass up many of those advertising opportunities also factors into make the SBU and HU attendance numbers what they are.

SBU has also been building toward something, coming close to the NCAA Tourney year after year, and that creates buzz, which feeds attendance in successive years. HU is only now turning around a program that let's face it, isn't that far removed from one that had as many player arrests as D-I wins. So that takes some time to re-create the type of buzz that The Mack (then Hofstra Arena) once had. But have success, get to the dance, keep building in the CAA in the same way SBU has in the AE, and it'll happen, and HU will surpass SBU in attendance no matter what SBU does.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

wags here I disagree. basketball is a city sport. Hofstra much closer to the city means we should get bigger basketball crowds. Football I will give you but Suffolk county is not the midwest. We have about 2 million people in nassau county while Suffolk has about 1.5 spread out over 4 times the area. Tougher to get to means less attendance not more. Suffolk has Malls too. Its time to stop making excuses. If its too hard to draw fans should we just give up and go div3. Of course not. This is where the school has to really PROMOTE sports in every way possible. I remember one asst AD a while ago telling me they blast e-mails to all the students. Today that is just spam or to us old fossils junk mail. Goes right in the trash bin. Liike Polito said how many students really know about or care about the theft scandal. For Hofstra its time to put up or shut up about its sports. You have heard what SBU does to promote. Talk about tradition, how long has SBU been div1 . I think it started in the 1990s in basketball while we have been div basketball since when the 70s? We are averaging 1,314 so far. If we cannot avg 2,000 for mens we might as well play in the PFC and save the cost of opening the arena.
Wags

Post by Wags »

stuball888 wrote:wags here I disagree. basketball is a city sport. Hofstra much closer to the city means we should get bigger basketball crowds. Football I will give you but Suffolk county is not the midwest. We have about 2 million people in nassau county while Suffolk has about 1.5 spread out over 4 times the area. Tougher to get to means less attendance not more. Suffolk has Malls too. Its time to stop making excuses. If its too hard to draw fans should we just give up and go div3. Of course not. This is where the school has to really PROMOTE sports in every way possible. I remember one asst AD a while ago telling me they blast e-mails to all the students. Today that is just spam or to us old fossils junk mail. Goes right in the trash bin. Liike Polito said how many students really know about or care about the theft scandal. For Hofstra its time to put up or shut up about its sports. You have heard what SBU does to promote. Talk about tradition, how long has SBU been div1 . I think it started in the 1990s in basketball while we have been div basketball since when the 70s? We are averaging 1,314 so far. If we cannot avg 2,000 for mens we might as well play in the PFC and save the cost of opening the arena.
I'm not saying it can't be done. We've seen it several times since Hofstra Arena/The Mack. Like I said, I think HU can and should be doing more to advertise, some of which should be along the same lines of what SBU does. And those right now, are missed opportunities.

We'll agree to disagree on this part though: but I think even in hoops, I think the demos that make up each area, and the relative proximities to the city and other options make it easier for SBU to draw. A friend of mine, a pure college hoops junkie, who I got to know when I used to be an HU season ticket holder for several years (his seat was next to mine year after year) has actually remained a season ticket holder of both HU and SBU for the past several years. I'll ask him to weigh in on this. He can probably offer a good perspective as to why the attendance numbers are what they are for each team.