MBB Game 5 - @ Saint Mary's College, 11/19/22, 8:30 PM EST

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
Pride97

Re: MBB Game 5 - @ Saint Mary's College, 11/19/22, 8:30 PM E

Post by Pride97 »

Just not their night shooting against an excellent defensive team.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Wags

Post by Wags »

Estrada showing well: 16 pts on 8/13 fg, but his teammates only have 13 pts on 5/22 fg.

Still no 3s made (0/10) and no assists after 28+ minutes.

Still more TOs (14) than baskets (13).
Wags

Post by Wags »

Pride97 wrote: Just not their night shooting against an excellent defensive team.
But it's also the approach. How do they not have a single assist yet on 13 buckets?
Wags

Post by Wags »

Wags wrote:
Pride97 wrote: Just not their night shooting against an excellent defensive team.
But it's also the approach. How do they not have a single assist yet on 13 buckets?
Finally got one on the next bucket. Okay, now someone else say it and it'll happen again.
Pride97

Post by Pride97 »

10 3s in a row

Wags

Post by Wags »

Pride97 wrote: 10 3s in a row
Not sure what this means. HU didn't take close to 10 3s in a row and SMC has only made eight all game.
Pride97

Post by Pride97 »

I was putting it into the universe - i guess I should have started by saying one made 3

Hofstra

Post by Hofstra »

Just a bad game. Brush it off. Let it humble them, and come out strong next game. Ugly night.
Wags

Post by Wags »

Pride97 wrote:I was putting it into the universe - i guess I should have started by saying one made 3
Haha, oh my bad. I was only asking for another assist, but hey, 10 straight 3s was worth a try. LOL
cactus
Site Admin

Post by cactus »

Very much outclassed. Can't win a game like this if you can't rebound. And they need more offense than handoffs and drives into traffic.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk
Wags

Post by Wags »

Estrada: 16 pts on 8/17, Boachie-Yiadom: 10 pts on 4/5 fg
Everyone else: 22 pts on 7/32 fg

Wondering if a combined total of 3 made 3s/assists is HU's lowest ever for those two categories, combined.

Tonight made that second half in San Jose all the more important for the current record, for the good feelings built up from starting 3-0 before California, and for the overall season outlook at this point.

Well, on to Canada.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

It was 76-48. Saint Mary's became the first team from 2010-2011 to now to make at least 50 percent of their three-pointers with at least 16 attempts, make 25 percent or fewer of their free throws with at least 8 attempts, and win by at least 28 points.
Polito

Post by Polito »

Performance: a capital F.

Willingness to play games like this: A+.

Look there’s no shame in losing to Saint Mary’s, and this team in particular looks to be tremendous - easily a top 25 team and should be for the remainder of the year. That said Speedy and the staff need to figure out how to have an offense when they can’t shoot threes all the time. This is the same crap that we’ve seen under Mahalic continuing under the staff. You are not winning championships and you’re not making NCAA tournaments with only having the three ball.

I really don’t know how many times this program has to beat its head against the wall to figure this out. Again it’s not rocket science.

But all in all not an unexpected result, especially with no post game and being a bit shorthanded. Team and staff need to learn from this, grow from it, and get better.

Rest up and go win this Canada tournament!
Hofstra

Post by Hofstra »

Any word on Williams? We can really use him moving forward.
Wags

Post by Wags »

Polito wrote: Speedy and the staff need to figure out how to have an offense when they can’t shoot threes all the time. This is the same crap that we’ve seen under Mahalic continuing under the staff. You are not winning championships and you’re not making NCAA tournaments with only having the three ball.

I really don’t know how many times this program has to beat its head against the wall to figure this out. Again it’s not rocket science.
Mihalic * - but other than the start in San Jose (which DID look like what you're saying), I don't think it's really been the same as in the past so far this season.

Princeton - they didn't take that many 3s, and two that they made (Carlos' last two), they needed to win that game. They shot a good (not great, but good) percentage from 3 (41%) taking fewer 3s than Princeton, which shot a bad 25% from 3. Only 26% of their 66 shots were from 3 whereas 34% of Princeton's 59 shots were from 3, when Princeton shot a worse percentage (made 25%). If anything, Princeton relied on the 3 too much that game, but Hofstra took a reasonable amount and used it to win.

Iona - 53% of their 55 shots were from 3. That's a lot, usually way too much, but not when you're making them. They made about half (14/29) and as Pitino credited them after that game, they were almost always taking the right ones. That's fine. I am with you and others on avoiding an overreliance on the 3 (I think I might have actually been in the severe minority on this board saying it years ago before it became more popular to say it here), but if you're taking and making the right ones, take all the 3s you want. This game was an example of that.

GW - same thing as Iona. 41% of their 63 shots from 3, but they went 14/26 from there, often with good looks either early in the possession or after good ball movement. So again, if the right 3s, and you are making them, keep firing away.

Tonight - they didn't lose because of an overreliance on the 3. Granted, it was on 20 fewer shots (54 vs. 74) than SMC, but they took the same amount of 3s as SMC. It's just that SMC is great at defending everything, including the 3. So, while they took the same amount, SMC made half (8/16) and HU made virtually nothing (1/16).
The 16 attempts out of the 54 total shots were only 29% of their total shots. I think this one you just chalk up to going against the type of D that was out of HU's league for HU's offense, rather than HU taking too many 3s when they could've had a different approach. I don't think there was any viable approach against a D like that for a team like Hofstra.

So, it's really about shot selection not shot volume with the 3s they're taking. And, for the most part, they've been better with that this year than in the past.
Polito wrote: Rest up and go win this Canada tournament!
No tourney to win, just the six teams each playing three games.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Geez and I thought this game would be close. Imagine we shoot 1-16 from 3 and the only player to hit a three was Barrouk probably at garbage time with a backup D on the court for them. Clearly a night to forget all around and certainly for D-Stone who didn't even get on the board. Stats speaking volumes getting out rebounded 45-32. They had 18 second chance points to our 5. Their only weakness at least in this game was from the charity stripe where they shot 25% 2-8. Imagine that for a stat. In a close game that could have doomed them. To some extent cream rising to the top with Estrada showing up and Nelson as well. Nice game for him 10 pts. and 8 boards. Clearly getting outclassed by a better team but we're not as bad as the score would indicate.
daHUPride

Post by daHUPride »

Brutal Score - (Realistically I) Expected Loss.

Cant imagine that St Mary's would've been looking past us - they are a well prepared - "cream of the crop" mid major.

Besides us shooting 1-16 from 3's and out-sizing us - St M's outrebounded (offensively) 15-4 - we also committed 16 turnovers (to their 7).

St Mary's - as previously mentioned - has a few Aussies on their squad - but the international flair doesn't stop with the down-unders - Augustas Marciulionis is from Lithuania, but more notably is that Marciulionis is the son of retired NBA - Sarunas Marciulionis - Sarunas was a solid tough player who is enshrined in Springfield Hall of Fame.

St Mary's was - in my eyes - a really tough match up for Hofstra and I am over this loss - we continue this brutal stretch of 7 more games on the road - and of the 9 games IF we come out (we are already 2-1) 5-4 - I would not be unhappy. In Canada - beating Mid-Tenn and/or UNCG would nice W's and will be true tests of who we are.
ZMAN3

Post by ZMAN3 »

Result doesn't surprise me at all - St M's a whole different level - especially on their court. They are a tremendous defensive team - incredibly disciplined and well coached. Really needed Williams for the first time this year. Hopeful we show out well in Canada - MTSU another very tough game.
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

Never thought we would actually WIN this game...too tough a team and tough environment but I thought we would compete...play tough and ultimately lose by somethig like 20.
But this was a BEATDOWN, after the first few minutes we were never in this game...their size and defense overwhelmed us, especially inside...we are a flawed team without our bigs and is showed tonight.
Not looking at Williams as a savior but he is DESPERATELY needed!
Polito

Post by Polito »

I was optimistic, but clearly misplaced lol :lol: oh well! Love that they play these games.

This was just an awful game for HU - unfortunately this was a HUGE opportunity to put this program on the map this season, the hoops world was watching and would've been all over an HU win. Didn't even need to win, just play them tough! HU completely blew that - getting annihilated sucks, and did nothing to help the optics of this program, regardless of how good SMC is - and they are of course very good. They are also a terrible matchup for HU. But none of that matters, it's all W or L.

Hopefully this team and staff learn what a true lockdown defense is like and just how much it can impact your success. They don't have 5 stars, just DAMN good coaching.

I love the confidence Speedy is trying to instill, but it is cringy when he spouts his tough talk about "we ready" and then they fall flat on their face in embarrassing fashion. :roll: Meanwhile CofC, who by the way as I said last year has a SUPER staff, is putting together a very good team and just won their Classic taking down ACC foe VT tonight - sure on their floor, but the Hokies are a very good P5 squad again this year, that's a big W, and they now have the hype that HU should have had today. That stuff irks me.

My concerns STILL remain guys. It reared up vs SJU and you all hated my rant, and yet here we are again - this team has NO PLAN to win a game when it can't hit 3's. WHERE IS THE SMALL BALL GAME? WHERE'S THE MID RANGE JUMPER GAME? WHERE'S ATTACKING THE LANE AND FINISHING?

I don't mind the 3's they take, no issue there, I think they are taking much better shots this year, and its not too much. But when they don't fall what are you going to do?? I've seen literally ZERO plan. Just keep taking them. Is that all this team has?? That's it?? Because that's not going to win this league or go dancing. And Speedy can be delusional all he wants if believes that - ain't happening. Hope he doesn't have to learn the hard way and we all have to suffer for it.

Our post game is obviously still sitting on the bench, and that stinks. I mean how bad did this guy get hurt in practice?? Get him ready and get him on the floor! Can't wait until Jan, he needs game reps NOW to prep for the CAA season. Kudos to Nelson for holding his own again though, this shellacking was not on him.

Dubar?? Geez.. HUGE fan but that was a gross display. 0 from a starter with size and skill is fully unacceptable in ANY game - you HAVE to get on the board. Thomas and German? Ooof. Zero help. Speedy you can't let your main guys bomb like that against an unranked opponent - get your team ready to produce and have SOME impact.

It was nice to see Washington and Barrouk get in a game. No idea what's going on there either. Figured Barrouk would be a MUCH bigger factor this year - disappointing.

Anyhoo, I understand the L, not disgruntled about losing to SMC, it was a buzz saw and it happens, but I'm still frustrated at things they can and should be better at now in year 2. Gotta chalk this particular game up as not their night and move on - but now they need to start displaying better X's and O's - they need to go win these 3 straight to get back on track and show everyone you are still for real.