MBB Recruits 2018

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
Jojogunne

MBB Recruits 2018

Post by Jojogunne »

Is this our first offer to a member of the Class of 2018?

"... St. Raymond freshman Omar Silverio received scholarship offers from Iona and Hofstra on Wednesday."

http://nypost.com/2015/04/18/chris-mull ... hallenges/
ZMAN3

Re: MBB Recruits 2018

Post by ZMAN3 »

Ridiculous!
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Is Iona and Hofstra joined at the hip. We seem to go after the same players. I guess its the similar offenses of both coaches.
cactus
Site Admin

Post by cactus »

7/21/2015 - 2018 PG Tyler Bourne (5-8, 140, 2★) has received an offer from Hofstra (VerbalCommits)
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

Well at least he'll have some time to grow! 5-8 140???????????
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Chaz williams was 5ft8 but 185 lbs. He is very young and should fill out.
cactus
Site Admin

Post by cactus »

I was 6'0 140 at his age :)
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

But could you ball at that age. So you were really a stringbean then.
cactus
Site Admin

Post by cactus »

Yes I was a stringbean at his age. Adding weight and muscle is much easier in today's day and age and he's got a long time to go. i wouldn't worry about his weight heading into his sophomore high school season.
Wags

Post by Wags »

Too bad we're not in the mix (yet) for this kid (and St. John's is):

http://zagsblog.com/articles/2018-wing- ... st-offers/

Talented 6-8 wing from right here in Suffolk County. I have been good friends with his Dad for the past 10+ years and I have seen Isaiah play since he played in a kids game at MSG when he was about 7 or 8 years old.

His Dad played at Alabama A&M and at Molloy CC (who is of course, ironically on our schedule for the first time ever this year) before he had injury issues that curtailed his career; Isaiah's Dad has brought him up the right way, with developing him on the court and in the classroom. Jerry Powell (from here on LI, for those of you who know him) has worked a lot with him, from an early age.

I think Isaiah's going to be real good and he's a good kid. I actually mentioned his name on the CAAZone board several years back. It's all coming to fruition for him now, years later.
Wags

Post by Wags »

Wags wrote:Too bad we're not in the mix (yet) for this kid (and St. John's is):

http://zagsblog.com/articles/2018-wing- ... st-offers/

Talented 6-8 wing from right here in Suffolk County. I have been good friends with his Dad for the past 10+ years and I have seen Isaiah play since he played in a kids game at MSG when he was about 7 or 8 years old.

His Dad played at Alabama A&M and at Molloy CC (who is of course, ironically on our schedule for the first time ever this year) before he had injury issues that curtailed his career; Isaiah's Dad has brought him up the right way, with developing him on the court and in the classroom. Jerry Powell (from here on LI, for those of you who know him) has worked a lot with him, from an early age.

I think Isaiah's going to be real good and he's a good kid. I actually mentioned his name on the CAAZone board several years back. It's all coming to fruition for him now, years later.
Disappointed to see we still don't have our name linked in any way with Isaiah. If St. John's is targeting him, we should likewise be on the forefront of doing the same, considering he's from right here on LI (even though he's still a few years away). Winning the CAA regular season and tourney, and maybe even a game in the NCAA tourney this year would help pique his interest in us (as would a strong showing against Kentucky next year). If HU has a good season this year, I'm going to talk to his Dad about considering HU!
Wags

Post by Wags »

We should also find out where this kid is from (and if he'd play in college here rather than go pro early). Really thin, but maybe the next Porzingis?

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=14107738
Polito

Post by Polito »

Wags if you can make that happen brotha that would be incredible!!! PLEASE! Kid would be a program changer for HU

Now, to be fair here, I think you need to realize his caliber

He's only a 2018 and already:
- has offers from SJU and Wake (power schools)
- is 6'8 and plays multiple positions
- is a 4 star kid and could be 5 next yr
- is a top 30 recruit IN THE NATION

Still curious why HU may not be all over him? lol :D hey, I'm pumped and expecting the day when HU lands this kind of talent, I just think for right now in this particular case we may need to be a bit more patient

But like I said, if you can get some influence with the family then you have my permission to go FULL FORCE and land this dude!! He would likely = NCAA tourney on his own!
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

Wags wrote:We should also find out where this kid is from (and if he'd play in college here rather than go pro early). Really thin, but maybe the next Porzingis?

Speaking of Porzingis, where do you think he would rank among college freshmen this year?
Wags

Post by Wags »

Jojogunne wrote:
Wags wrote:We should also find out where this kid is from (and if he'd play in college here rather than go pro early). Really thin, but maybe the next Porzingis?

Speaking of Porzingis, where do you think he would rank among college freshmen this year?
Well, four double-doubles in his first 9 NBA games, at 7-3? He'd be up way there among college freshmen, for sure (if not the best right now).
Wags

Post by Wags »

Polito wrote:Wags if you can make that happen brotha that would be incredible!!! PLEASE! Kid would be a program changer for HU

Still curious why HU may not be all over him? lol :D hey, I'm pumped and expecting the day when HU lands this kind of talent, I just think for right now in this particular case we may need to be a bit more patient

But like I said, if you can get some influence with the family then you have my permission to go FULL FORCE and land this dude!! He would likely = NCAA tourney on his own!
Yeah, could be a reach, but if we'd ever get a player like that, the time is when it's a local kid, born and raised on LI, three years before he's ready for the college game. In the next 1-2 years, it would certainly be too late. I first mentioned him on the CAAZone board years before it was even legal for any college team to vet him though. lol
garyg

Post by garyg »

Do what you can Wags you never know...Jeff Ruland was a high school All-American out of Sachem here on the island...he was recruited by all the biggies including Kentucky...he chose Iona and after Iona went on to have a good NBA career that was shortened by injuries
Polito

Post by Polito »

And you're right Wags, the scenario where HU is able to land a guy like that is def where it's a local product who grows up right, has positive vibes with HU throughout and wants to stay local and be a franchise type guy so to speak

And it just takes one big yr to land that first big time guy (and I mean that 4 star top 100 guy) - catching that lightening in a bottle can change a lot of things - winning, the dance, and big exposure is what attracts top recruits - they want the chance to shine, to play on a national stage, to make the NCAA's, and to have a realistic shot at the league if they're good enough

I firmly believe HU can be that and is beginning to show signs of being on that path - it's not easy, takes time money and effort, but it CAN be done, because it's been done by other mids before

'15 an '16 are MONSTER years for the future of HU basketball
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

The time is now to deliver on the potential.
Wags

Post by Wags »

Polito wrote:Wags if you can make that happen brotha that would be incredible!!! PLEASE! Kid would be a program changer for HU

New clip on Isaiah Mucius sent to me by his Dad today: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=imcX7ie ... e=youtu.be

Again, would be nice if we hear anything at all that Hofstra had its eye on him. Looks great in this clip.