Scheduling Question

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
Polito

Scheduling Question

Post by Polito »

For those who know better than me:

My question is what kind of possibility would exist for HU to schedule some regional big guys, like St Johns, UConn, Rutgers, Seton Hall, 'Cuse, etc. for 3 game deals where 1 game is at HU, 1 at theirs, and 1 neutral at either the Garden or Barclays?

I'm curious if that would satisfy their 'requirements' to have the better end of the deal - every big team want's to get in those arenas anyway for basically any reason simply for the positive attention marketing local alumni bases and recruiting - they can even be the 'home' team and would still draw the bigger crowds, but at least for HU it's still considered neutral, HU fans can go just as easily, and wouldn't be a hornets nest 2/3 years

I think that would be awesome, and still completely acceptable/beneficial to HU - anyone know if that would be satisfactory to schools like that?
HofstraFan101

Re: Scheduling Question

Post by HofstraFan101 »

While that might be appealing, I don't understand why they would do that because if they are a larger team they would be the ones with ties to MSG and Barclays not us. What leverage do we have on the Garden or barclays? It's not like we have a deal with them to give us games
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

We apparently do have some sort of leverage with MSG, since Hofstra is hosting the NCAA wrestling championship there in March. Not sure if that relationship would help out the basketball team at all though.
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

Polito wrote:For those who know better than me:

My question is what kind of possibility would exist for HU to schedule some regional big guys, like St Johns, UConn, Rutgers, Seton Hall, 'Cuse, etc. for 3 game deals where 1 game is at HU, 1 at theirs, and 1 neutral at either the Garden or Barclays?

I'm curious if that would satisfy their 'requirements' to have the better end of the deal - every big team want's to get in those arenas anyway for basically any reason simply for the positive attention marketing local alumni bases and recruiting - they can even be the 'home' team and would still draw the bigger crowds, but at least for HU it's still considered neutral, HU fans can go just as easily, and wouldn't be a hornets nest 2/3 years

I think that would be awesome, and still completely acceptable/beneficial to HU - anyone know if that would be satisfactory to schools like that?
They will not play us for several reasons... first there is no upside for them to play us... if they win it's expected, if they lose it's an embarrassment. Second there is no real money in playing us... they don't want to lose an early out of conference home date where they can make lots of money. And finally, the big arenas don't really want us, as we don't bring people...
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Sometimes the truth hurts and HUSID80 is spot on
Cards

Post by Cards »

Case in point - Back in the day, I played scholarship baseball at Adelphi U. Every spring, we had 1 sometimes 2 games against St Johns. At the time, some of the top players from LI played at Adelphi. During my years there, there were several wins against SJ. Needless to say, after I graduated, SJ dropped all games against Adelphi.

As was stated earlier, SJ had nothing to gain. Wins were expected and losses were considered a disaster!
Polito

Post by Polito »

Thanks for the input HUSID, some fair points of course - I don't discount the main issues, and granted my thought is HU biased and a long shot, BUT it's also not impossible.

Mids play bigs every year, and they've done it repeatedly IN THE CAA - except HU. NE gets MICHIGAN ST and UD got UVA ... AT HOME!! There is absolutely no reason HU can't accomplish this. Certainly not like they're only 'afraid' to play HU - LOL, c'mon - lame excuse that's still being used, it's tired, untrue, and needs to go. What was it? A 2-1? A 3-1?? A special deal involving other key sports??? Who friggin cares, whatever it is find out and do it here - my only point is HU needs to stop making the no one will play us whiney excuse (because it's complete BS), and get aggressive get creative and MAKE something happen.

And I also believe those arenas would completely be open to a UConn or 'Cuse game - my goodness they have HU vs App St at the garden, I mean give me a break lol - UConn would bring more fans than both those schools combined - it's doable, it can work, it just needs to be aggressively pursued.

Put together a power team tourney, attach it to a supreme charity, connect it with the HU med school somehow, and get HU in the matchups - just don't see it being that difficult to come up with a feasible desirable idea - coordinating it to come to fruition would be a monster, fully aware - but at least put out the IDEAS!! I mean a *KID* did this for his mom (RIP), Alex Kline - it's become one of THE premier HS showcases - surely if a friggin teenager could figure it out, HU could too. And I find it hard to believe no biggies would bite if there was only one mid to worry about...and it was part of an amazing cause - there are too many to count out there...kids, military, illness, homelessness, hunger, disaster relief, etc - how about Bigs Against Bullies ?? I mean c'mon that took me 4 seconds to think of, and that's one of the hottest areas of awareness right now - anyway, you get my point 8-)

Dream rant over :D
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

They probably scheduled those games for student recruitment, or for alumni reasons... to bring in big donations from the area's well heeled grads.
HofstraHockey

Post by HofstraHockey »

Check back in 2017 when the new Coliseum opens up. If HU makes a run like I think/hope they will, then maybe they can get something there.
HofstraFan101

Post by HofstraFan101 »

Polito wrote:Thanks for the input HUSID, some fair points of course - I don't discount the main issues, and granted my thought is HU biased and a long shot, BUT it's also not impossible.

Mids play bigs every year, and they've done it repeatedly IN THE CAA - except HU. NE gets MICHIGAN ST and UD got UVA ... AT HOME!! There is absolutely no reason HU can't accomplish this. Certainly not like they're only 'afraid' to play HU - LOL, c'mon - lame excuse that's still being used, it's tired, untrue, and needs to go. What was it? A 2-1? A 3-1?? A special deal involving other key sports??? Who friggin cares, whatever it is find out and do it here - my only point is HU needs to stop making the no one will play us whiney excuse (because it's complete BS), and get aggressive get creative and MAKE something happen.

And I also believe those arenas would completely be open to a UConn or 'Cuse game - my goodness they have HU vs App St at the garden, I mean give me a break lol - UConn would bring more fans than both those schools combined - it's doable, it can work, it just needs to be aggressively pursued.

Put together a power team tourney, attach it to a supreme charity, connect it with the HU med school somehow, and get HU in the matchups - just don't see it being that difficult to come up with a feasible desirable idea - coordinating it to come to fruition would be a monster, fully aware - but at least put out the IDEAS!! I mean a *KID* did this for his mom (RIP), Alex Kline - it's become one of THE premier HS showcases - surely if a friggin teenager could figure it out, HU could too. And I find it hard to believe no biggies would bite if there was only one mid to worry about...and it was part of an amazing cause - there are too many to count out there...kids, military, illness, homelessness, hunger, disaster relief, etc - how about Bigs Against Bullies ?? I mean c'mon that took me 4 seconds to think of, and that's one of the hottest areas of awareness right now - anyway, you get my point 8-)

Dream rant over :D
With what you said about potentially playing a uconn or syracuse at MSG as part of a 1-1-1 type deal, I don't see the benefit to them playing us there. They'd be the ones MSG/Barclays wants and it'd be up to them to decide who they want to play. It's not like they need us to be able to play there. Plus were only playing App State at MSG because St.Johns is playing after. And then with the Mary Kline Classic, it doesn't really apply to this at all. It would actually help show the difficulty in playing at a large stadium as while it's one of the top games it's still played at West Ornage HS and holds maybe 1000 people.
Polito

Post by Polito »

Certainly fair points, just a few ideas - honestly, I really expected Hathaway to make UConn a near regular on most major sport teams schedules... pretty disappointed he hasn't brought that to the table.

Def agreed a 'new' NC could be big for HU - hopefully they are on top of that

I know it's not easy, don't get me wrong - scheduling is a challenge for a mid - but others are getting it done, so the HU excuses need to go. The bottom line is, it needs to improve, and I'd like to see HU get aggressive and creative in making some cool/unique things happen. And my hope is that a return to the NCAA's will allow HU to re-position themselves and open up better doors.
pridehoops2015

Post by pridehoops2015 »

Why would it happen with uconn? Didn't he get fired or leave on bad terms?
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

Expect some good scheduling news in the future re: Hofstra and the Coliseum...Also another point I forgot to mention...NONE of the locals or even some bigs wanted to plays us this year because they feel we are LOADED! Why would a Manhattan or an Iona risk losing to us big as we are recruiting against each other in this area...just another reason why according to Joe...scheduling is the toughest part of his job....Thank goodness for conferences!
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

Jim Baumbach
Hofstra's men's hoops team will play Kentucky in the new Nassau Coliseum's first sporting event, according to documents obtained by Newsday.
https://twitter.com/jimbaumbach/status/ ... 1222080512
Wags

Post by Wags »

ProudofPride wrote:Jim Baumbach
Hofstra's men's hoops team will play Kentucky in the new Nassau Coliseum's first sporting event, according to documents obtained by Newsday.
https://twitter.com/jimbaumbach/status/ ... 1222080512
Was just reading the article (http://www.newsday.com/sports/college/h ... 1.11113453).

The game will be at Barclays if the refurbished Coliseum isn't ready by then.
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

Told you all
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

The article says that Coach Calipari pushed for the game to be against Hofstra. Kentucky will receive $350,00 from the Naussa Events Center, the group in charge of the coliseum, and we receive $25,000 from Kentucky. That's money for both schools, and Kentucky essentially wanted to play us in our backyard. I like that this game has the potential to be part of a doubleheader on ESPN.

Jim Baumbach
John Calipari: "Ever since my good friend Joey Dunleavy was an assistant for Coach Van Bred Kolff, I’ve been a fan of Hofstra. (Cont)
https://twitter.com/jimbaumbach/status/ ... 1251192832
Jim Baumbach
More Calipari on Hofstra: "Great school, great tradition and history.”
https://twitter.com/jimbaumbach/status/ ... 9868721152
Polito

Post by Polito »

No *T H A T* is what I'm talking about!!!! This is absolutely SICK -

Exactly what this program needs - not just playing an away game, but playing the biggest baddest of them all in your neighborhood...AND getting paid for it! Solid scoop there HUSID, and I just have to say, like I have been saying there ARE opportunities it just takes work and creativity to make it happen

MAJOR props/kudos/congrats to the entire HU admin staff etc who made this come to fruition - this is HUGE - and the comments from Calipari are really something, I mean I def would not have expected that at all - and quite frankly he didn't need to say much really, this is a monster look for HU, so the fact he made it a point to praise HU like that is pretty awesome

Talk about salivating... picture an NCAA run this yr and the UK game on tap for next and how that will impact the fall '16 class :shock: :shock:

The fact that HU is getting $25k for this is icing on the cake :D

The fact that UK is getting 1/3 of a million buck is incredible - certainly pays to be the king ! LOL