MBB Roster for 2022-23

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
triplec2195

Re: MBB Roster for 2022-23

Post by triplec2195 »

Check this portal report and who they think will start on this team. Interesting! https://theportalreport.com/2022/07/05/ ... mas-dubar/
HU87

Post by HU87 »

Great find and thanks for sharing!

I'd predict we stick to the 4-out offense we classically run and have Dubar play the 4 and JC run the point. What are other's guesses for our starting 5 now that the roster took shape?
ZMAN3

Post by ZMAN3 »

triplec2195 wrote:Check this portal report and who they think will start on this team. Interesting! https://theportalreport.com/2022/07/05/ ... mas-dubar/

Looks like I'm not the only one who thinks Estrada is the PG ;)
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Might be a better team with him at the point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
cactus
Site Admin

Post by cactus »

sounds like the rotation will look something like:
PG Estrada | Carlos
SG Thomas | Washington | Plotnikov
F/3G Dubar | Plotnikov | Estrada
F Boachie-Yiadom | Dubar
C Williams | Manyang

outside looking in:
G Griffin Barrouk 6-5 RFR
G Khalil Farmer 6-3 FR
G Amar'e Marshall 6-4 RFR
F Christian Tomasco 6-9 RFR
ZMAN3

Post by ZMAN3 »

Would be nice if they posted the current roster instead of last years. Can always update if necessary.
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

Soon ... the women's roster is up.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

ZMAN3 wrote:Would be nice if they posted the current roster instead of last years. Can always update if necessary.
They're always late to the gate with this. So many schools have their rosters posted for this year.
garyg

Post by garyg »

Jojogunne wrote:Looks like only five players are returning from last year's roster:

0 Dubar
4 Estrada
11 Carlos
12 Barrouk
24 Marshall
garyg

Post by garyg »

What makes you think Tomasco not on roster ??
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Someone said they didn’t see him during the practice that was posted here??

Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

Speaking of rosters, Isaac Kante is still on the roster at LIU. One year at UGA, three at Hofstra and last year at LIU. How does he qualify for a sixth year?

https://www.liuathletics.com/sports/men ... kante/3304
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Jojogunne wrote:Speaking of rosters, Isaac Kante is still on the roster at LIU. One year at UGA, three at Hofstra and last year at LIU. How does he qualify for a sixth year?

https://www.liuathletics.com/sports/men ... kante/3304
He only played 2 years at HU. He sat out Hofstra from 2018-19, played 2019-20 through 2020-21. Correct he sat out the first year after he transferred from Georgia..
Last edited by triplec2195 on Fri Jul 08, 2022 10:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
cactus
Site Admin

Post by cactus »

Right, and with the covid extra year he has 6 years to play 4 seasons.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

cactus wrote:Right, and with the covid extra year he has 6 years to play 4 seasons.
With the Covid year included he can play 5 seasons just like Jalen Ray.
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

triplec2195 wrote:Someone said they didn’t see him during the practice that was posted here??

I said I thought I saw him in the video...it's not gospel though.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

HUSID80 wrote:
triplec2195 wrote:Someone said they didn’t see him during the practice that was posted here??

I said I thought I saw him in the video...it's not gospel though.
He’s more then likely still here.
Polito

Post by Polito »

lol this boards obsession with forcing Estrada to be the PG is only matched by an equal yet even more baffling obsession with Tomasco's role - guys, for goodness sakes, he's a ROLE player. I feel like every year there's a need around here to make bench guys the next 'guy'. Support IS the role.

All in all, Speedy and Co. crushed the recruiting effort yet again this year - super additions, tons of skill and size. Great offseason, very proud and impressed with this staffs work on the trail. Talent wise this team can take the crown. And no excuses on them being all new again. That's the case for literally everyone - that's the college game today - the new reality is it's a new roster every year for just about every program in the country - overcome it and win. Because whoever does is in the same boat.

And the way that is done is exactly what Speedy so eloquently noted, and something I've harped on to no end from the top of my lungs for literally years: LEADERSHIP. Someone needs to make this group of individuals a unified TEAM. Last years group, like so many of HU's in the past sadly, didn't have it. We need to stop caring so much how many double figures guys we have, and start putting value on leadership, efficiency, and productivity. True floor leadership is what makes a champion.

And if all HU is ever going to do is stick 4 guys on the perimeter and chuck 3's all season, count me out. I want to see an actual offensive strategy and playbook this year. Let the guards play their game, but give them the parameters and guardrails to play within. There is such thing as too much freedom - I want to see Speedy and staff show they are in control, not the players. You can develop disciplined play and still be creative, have fun, and play loose. There's a difference between playing unweighted and playing completely out of control. Let's see it.

And this 'silent leadership' concept is nonsense. We need a vocal floor leader. Yes, leading by example is absolutely part of it, but that can't be the only thing they bring. Teams need strong leadership on the floor in game and in practice - this is a must, not a nice to have to be #1.

You guys are adamant this is Estrada. I am not. Just my opinion. He is not a floor general to me. Sure he can fill a PG role at times, and I'm sure he will, but a Buie he is not - and I don't want him to be - I want him as a 2 or 3 guard with the ball in his hands to make his plays, not to worry about running an offense, vocally leading everyone on the floor, and creating opportunities for others. Others are there to create for HIM.

To me, JC is our key. He is the PG of the future, and the future is now. I want him leading the way, most of the time, and mixing in varying lineup looks with others, even yes Estrada, running point a few minutes a game.

As far as Dubar, he's a 4 ALL DAY LONG. Can of course play some 3, but his sweet spot is the stretch 4 role. I really think this kid is a sleeper star - he's developing a fantastic skill set, he's SO versatile, I hope they build some game plan for him specifically - he can be a major difference maker.

Very excited to see Williams and Thomas. Any news on Barrouk?? Prefer to avoid anymore Zion situations.

So I think the primary lineup might / should be something like:
PG: JC
2G: Estrada
3G: Thomas
F: Dubar
C: Willams

With everyone else mixing in depending on the matchups, game scenario, development, hot hand, etc. HU's bench is quite talented, would be very confident with guys like Washington, Plotnikov, Boachie-Yiadom, etc. coming off the bench - potential starters in their own right. Pumped to hear about more practices, excitement is brewing!
cactus
Site Admin

Post by cactus »

triplec2195 wrote:
cactus wrote:Right, and with the covid extra year he has 6 years to play 4 seasons.
With the Covid year included he can play 5 seasons just like Jalen Ray.
Correct, 6 years to play 4 seasons, with that covid year not counting in the 4 seasons whether he played or not.
daHUPride

Post by daHUPride »

Polito wrote:lol this boards obsession with forcing Estrada to be the PG is only matched by an equal yet even more baffling obsession with Tomasco's role - guys, for goodness sakes, he's a ROLE player. I feel like every year there's a need around here to make bench guys the next 'guy'. Support IS the role.

All in all, Speedy and Co. crushed the recruiting effort yet again this year - super additions, tons of skill and size. Great offseason, very proud and impressed with this staffs work on the trail. Talent wise this team can take the crown. And no excuses on them being all new again. That's the case for literally everyone - that's the college game today - the new reality is it's a new roster every year for just about every program in the country - overcome it and win. Because whoever does is in the same boat.

And the way that is done is exactly what Speedy so eloquently noted, and something I've harped on to no end from the top of my lungs for literally years: LEADERSHIP. Someone needs to make this group of individuals a unified TEAM. Last years group, like so many of HU's in the past sadly, didn't have it. We need to stop caring so much how many double figures guys we have, and start putting value on leadership, efficiency, and productivity. True floor leadership is what makes a champion.

And if all HU is ever going to do is stick 4 guys on the perimeter and chuck 3's all season, count me out. I want to see an actual offensive strategy and playbook this year. Let the guards play their game, but give them the parameters and guardrails to play within. There is such thing as too much freedom - I want to see Speedy and staff show they are in control, not the players. You can develop disciplined play and still be creative, have fun, and play loose. There's a difference between playing unweighted and playing completely out of control. Let's see it.

And this 'silent leadership' concept is nonsense. We need a vocal floor leader. Yes, leading by example is absolutely part of it, but that can't be the only thing they bring. Teams need strong leadership on the floor in game and in practice - this is a must, not a nice to have to be #1.

You guys are adamant this is Estrada. I am not. Just my opinion. He is not a floor general to me. Sure he can fill a PG role at times, and I'm sure he will, but a Buie he is not - and I don't want him to be - I want him as a 2 or 3 guard with the ball in his hands to make his plays, not to worry about running an offense, vocally leading everyone on the floor, and creating opportunities for others. Others are there to create for HIM.

To me, JC is our key. He is the PG of the future, and the future is now. I want him leading the way, most of the time, and mixing in varying lineup looks with others, even yes Estrada, running point a few minutes a game.

As far as Dubar, he's a 4 ALL DAY LONG. Can of course play some 3, but his sweet spot is the stretch 4 role. I really think this kid is a sleeper star - he's developing a fantastic skill set, he's SO versatile, I hope they build some game plan for him specifically - he can be a major difference maker.

Very excited to see Williams and Thomas. Any news on Barrouk?? Prefer to avoid anymore Zion situations.

So I think the primary lineup might / should be something like:
PG: JC
2G: Estrada
3G: Thomas
F: Dubar
C: Willams

With everyone else mixing in depending on the matchups, game scenario, development, hot hand, etc. HU's bench is quite talented, would be very confident with guys like Washington, Plotnikov, Boachie-Yiadom, etc. coming off the bench - potential starters in their own right. Pumped to hear about more practices, excitement is brewing!
So much to agree with Polito.

Also believe that your starting 5 will likely be our starting 5.

Estrada can do a lot of things - but we need him scoring as a wing (2 or 3)- not playing the "point" - certainly when we are having Carlos on the floor
Carlos - Ive said since season end - JC is going to be our PG; no question - (Cooks graduation, Burgess transferring cant see why Burgess would have left when he has years left/and started for us at PG - CB knew the future "game plan" was to have Carlos as our PG and thats the main reason he transferred) - Carlos success this is key to our season
Dubar - is the ultimate swiss army knife - with this roster he is a stretch 4 - but a year from now we might be seeing him as a 3 - that said DD was my favorite player last year - he does not always have stats that jump of the page but he does a lot of the "little" things and I think he can so do more -

Carlos - Estrada - Dubar reminded a bit of (maybe a lot - BUT with still more then somethings to prove) - Buie - JFW - Pemberton (-Ray)
DB, JFW, EP (-JR) grew - from Fr to Sr's - to be a 3 head-monster that was a force to be reckoned with - this group "grew up" together and gelled to be "one" and night in night out one-two-three of them would kill ya - BUT they became a better group/team when we added key part Taylor/Kante and Coburn
JC - AE - DD - because of transferring are not going to have the years to gel - so we need to force feed their development - but I think we can do some of (similar) same offensive scoring as we got out DB, JFW, EP (-JR) - and it remains to be seen if - Thomas; Williams (Washington, NBY, Manyang) can do what Taylor, Kante, Coburn brought to the party

A big difference is - the growth and continuity of having key players together for 4 years (Buie, JFW, Pemberton, Ray) - learning, building relationships (on and off the court), trust and then adding (transfers) players to enhance, stabilize a roster
But now - with the new transfer rules - of our preseason projected starting 5 only Carlos is "homegrown" - and I am guessing IF we go with a 7 man rotation - again, speculating our top 7, 6 of them will incoming transfers to Hofstra.

The sooner they gel - the better and I think we can be pretty good.