Transfer Portal

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
triplec2195

Re: Transfer Portal

Post by triplec2195 »

Jojogunne wrote:Iona just added Missouri PG Anton Brookshire from Kickapoo (MO) HS.
Are you saying this is a good get for Iona? He didn't play much for Missouri but had nice HS numbers.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

So Tykei Greene has transferred from Stony Brook to Kansas State. He was their second leading scorer getting 14 pg and 8.1 rebounds. Kansas state is poaching players from the CAA.I guess we must have some talent in this conference!!
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

Yeh, brave new world out there..wonder if they are offering Name and Likeness deals for these kids which akin to paying them...that's what I suspect happened with our guy.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

After losing Burgess, Silverio, Cramer and Bey this year and Coburn and Kante we are no longer immune to the transfer bug. It's like a revolving door and we have been able to get replacements but it would be nice for players to stay together and have some cohesiveness. It does work for P5 schools who lose players after one year to the NBA etc.
daHUPride

Post by daHUPride »

triplec2195 wrote:After losing Burgess, Silverio, Cramer and Bey this year and Coburn and Kante we are no longer immune to the transfer bug. It's like a revolving door and we have been able to get replacements but it would be nice for players to stay together and have some cohesiveness. It does work for P5 schools who lose players after one year to the NBA etc.
I am torn - and I get it from the players/student point - why should the player/student be tied to a school/team and not be able to leave like every other non-athletic student or coach.

Selfishly - for me as a fan - I fully agree with you; it'd be "nice for players to stay together and have some cohesiveness".

I know we we win some when we have gotten - Estrada, Katne, Coburn, Taylor, Koon, Bernardi, Green, Tanksley - good players that (mostly came down from bigger schools - to actually play here at Hofstra) and of course we lose some players too.

The one player that wound up being a huge win/win for the university/player - because of the old rules (he'd have to sit a year-if he transferred) was JFW. JFW - was buried on our bench his freshman year - old rule - fear of sitting a transfer year - gives HU another chance and lights it up and becomes THE MAN for the next 3 years at Hofstra - gets DRAFTED!!!
Hypothetically - new rules - immediately eligible - leaves Hofstra - goes to (just sayin') St Johns - does get the playing time/doesnt become THE MAN - does he get the props at a say St Johns and doesnt get drafted - I dont know (or I do NOT think so).
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

daHUPride wrote:
triplec2195 wrote:After losing Burgess, Silverio, Cramer and Bey this year and Coburn and Kante we are no longer immune to the transfer bug. It's like a revolving door and we have been able to get replacements but it would be nice for players to stay together and have some cohesiveness. It does work for P5 schools who lose players after one year to the NBA etc.
I am torn - and I get it from the players/student point - why should the player/student be tied to a school/team and not be able to leave like every other non-athletic student or coach.

Selfishly - for me as a fan - I fully agree with you; it'd be "nice for players to stay together and have some cohesiveness".

I know we we win some when we have gotten - Estrada, Katne, Coburn, Taylor, Koon, Bernardi, Green, Tanksley - good players that (mostly came down from bigger schools - to actually play here at Hofstra) and of course we lose some players too.

The one player that wound up being a huge win/win for the university/player - because of the old rules (he'd have to sit a year-if he transferred) was JFW. JFW - was buried on our bench his freshman year - old rule - fear of sitting a transfer year - gives HU another chance and lights it up and becomes THE MAN for the next 3 years at Hofstra - gets DRAFTED!!!
Hypothetically - new rules - immediately eligible - leaves Hofstra - goes to (just sayin') St Johns - does get the playing time/doesnt become THE MAN - does he get the props at a say St Johns and doesnt get drafted - I dont know (or I do NOT think so).
Good point about JWF if he transferred to a bigger school we know he's going to get plenty of minutes because he's a great player but does he get free reign like he did here and get the same number of minutes. It's good he stuck it out he was an exciting player to watch.
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

Looks like Isaac Kante is leaving LIU apparently because their coach Kellogg was recently fired.

There's some speculation St. John's go after him to bolster a fairly weak frontcourt.

Wonder if we would have brought him back if we did not get Williams?
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

HUSID80 wrote:Looks like Isaac Kante is leaving LIU apparently because their coach Kellogg was recently fired.

There's some speculation St. John's go after him to bolster a fairly weak frontcourt.

That's a good question but maybe a better one would he have wanted to come back?? Not sure exactly what transpired when he left here. A lot of conjecture on our parts not knowing what exactly went down.
daHUPride

Post by daHUPride »

HUSID80 wrote:Looks like Isaac Kante is leaving LIU apparently because their coach Kellogg was recently fired.

Hmmmmmm-another-4 school hoopster- UGa; HU; LIU and (maybe) StJ
Polito

Post by Polito »

Sigh... what could've been. Off into oblivion you go. St John's could def use the solid fill in from a guy like that - he'll get 5-10 min max of burn if he's lucky - great for them, meaningless for him. Sorry to say, but there are consequences to decisions, and this feels like the near-final fall off for Kante's once-promising career. HU is a helluva still highly underrated place to build your future and make some nice coin in a level of pro ranks. He had it on the tips of his fingers.

Bottom line: College athletes need MUCH better mentorship in this new world.
Wags

Post by Wags »

Thought this was interesting (per @TP4PT) regarding all of the movement with the portal - very few who transfer, transfer to a better program and despite many getting to play right away, almost half of all transfers will still have to sit out next season:

1 out of 12 players who transferred this year went up in the portal, the rest transferred lateral or down.

46% of NCAA players who entered the portal this year will not play NCAA basketball in the upcoming 2022-23 season.
cactus
Site Admin

Post by cactus »

Wags wrote:Thought this was interesting (per @TP4PT) regarding all of the movement with the portal - very few who transfer, transfer to a better program and despite many getting to play right away, almost half of all transfers will still have to sit out next season:

1 out of 12 players who transferred this year went up in the portal, the rest transferred lateral or down.

46% of NCAA players who entered the portal this year will not play NCAA basketball in the upcoming 2022-23 season.

Hasn't really been since Pecora left where guys transferred up from here, but still welcome info for teams like Hofstra, and hopefully the norm going forward regarding the flow of movement with the one time transfer rule.
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

Isaac Kante signs with UMass. Guess we'll see him in Brooklyn.
dutchalum01

Post by dutchalum01 »

HUSID80 wrote:Isaac Kante signs with UMass. Guess we'll see him in Brooklyn.
how many schools is that for Kante now? Seems like A LOT.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
cactus
Site Admin

Post by cactus »

dutchalum01 wrote:

Georgia - 1 yr
Hofstra 1 ineligible year + 2 playing years
LIU - 1 yr
UMass - 1 yr
daHUPride

Post by daHUPride »

cactus wrote:
dutchalum01 wrote:

Georgia - 1 yr
Hofstra 1 ineligible year + 2 playing years
LIU - 1 yr
UMass - 1 yr
UMass - has some solid bigs on their roster - some of them transfers from SC that came with Coach Martin - cant see him getting the playing time that he got at HU or LIU
Polito

Post by Polito »

Wow, this dude gets around. Yep, we'll see him again. UMass is building, he may get some burn because Kante is def a player. How much, uncertain. This should be a good game.
Pride97

Transfer Portal

Post by Pride97 »

Omar Silverio’s new team fires coach weeks before the season starts. Wow!

Reports are 6-7 players are transferring out including the MAAC Preseason Player of the Year, Jose Perez.

https://twitter.com/nypost/status/15849 ... szr4yRKiGA

Polito

Post by Polito »

WOW, that's a mid major shocker right there, something definitely went down in Jasperland. 2 weeks before the season, YOUCH, no way that's hoops related, that's a big blow.

Perez is already getting P5 interest, gonna work out for him pretty well it seems - I'm down for anyone that can help us if it makes sense. Not sure it will as the majority of that team is fifth years and seniors.
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

Agreed Polito, this was not basketball related...Manhattan was projected to be second in the MAAC....Hearing some rumors about s.... harrassment but nothing concrete.