Transfers and Other Player News

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
daHUPride

Re: Transfers and Other Player News

Post by daHUPride »

triplec2195 wrote:This is just mind blowing how you know what you have but clearly don't know what you will wind up with. He was trying to go pro but in the meantime HU goes out and gets two post players then when his pro aspirations doesn't pan out he has burned his bridges(innocently) with no malice but can't come back here. I'm sure he regrets this decision in 20/20 hindsight and wishes he would have stayed the course. As far as scholarships are concerned he was getting a scholarship here that wasn't going to count towards the 13 max I believe but this is more of a awkward place for him because he could've come back here but his position had already been accounted for. I'm sure he wasn't going to come back knowing that we had promised playing time to two other transfers. Do people agree with this assessment of the situation??
WOW!
Triplec2195 I think a lot of what you say here is accurate.
To add to your points - I wonder if IKs style might not fit the "Speedy Style" of player - I think we are going in a direction of - long-lean-athletic-versitile player. Once IK decided to leave - pro; family; new school; whatever - it opened the door to offer other bigs spots here and those bigs are a different make up then IK.
Personally I liked IK - I liked him a lot - in 2019-20 he improved game after game - I wish him luck but like others - not sure he made a good decision.
WOW
Last edited by daHUPride on Tue Aug 10, 2021 4:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Of course wish him much luck at LIU a real stand up kid who played really well for us but to trade down was a bad decision for him. I remember a kid here years ago who also transferred to LIU because he wasn't getting the playing time after JWF started to shine Jamal Robinson. These are two totally different situations AGREED because Kante was a starter here Jamal wasn't anymore even though he had a really good freshman year. It seems to me that Isaac waited too long to go into the transfer portal severally limiting his options and now had to settle for LIU?? Ugh what could have been but is this good for us or bad or maybe just a wash??
Cards

Post by Cards »

Funny how the reported size of players (height and weight) can be so different, depending on the source.
HU roster has Carlos at 6', while other source have him at 5'9 to 5'10". Easy to understand why HU would list him a tad taller!
More concerning however to me is that "verbal commits" has Iyiola at 230 lbs, which is a good weight for CAA bigs. However, the HU roster has him listed at only 215 lbs. At 6'9" and 215 lbs he could be pushed around quite a bit. Has anyone seen him in person or at a practice (Husid??)? is he really that lean?
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

Cards wrote:Funny how the reported size of players (height and weight) can be so different, depending on the source.
HU roster has Carlos at 6', while other source have him at 5'9 to 5'10". Easy to understand why HU would list him a tad taller!
More concerning however to me is that "verbal commits" has Iyiola at 230 lbs, which is a good weight for CAA bigs. However, the HU roster has him listed at only 215 lbs. At 6'9" and 215 lbs he could be pushed around quite a bit. Has anyone seen him in person or at a practice (Husid??)? is he really that lean?
He's pretty lean...no Kante, that's for sure but he was banging with Simmons, who looks considerably stronger size wise.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

HUSID74 wrote:
Cards wrote:Funny how the reported size of players (height and weight) can be so different, depending on the source.
He's pretty lean...no Kante, that's for sure but he was banging with Simmons, who looks considerably stronger size wise.
You've seen plenty of pictures of him and he's a thin version of Jacquil Taylor based on what the pictures show. He has played against top notch D-1 talent and his numbers have been consistently the same over the years scoring,rebounding and blocked shots. In 2018-2019 Stetson showed him weighing 210 lbs. however Arkansas listed him at 230? We use to list JWF at 6'2" if I'm not mistaken. I don't think because he's thin you can automatically assume he can be pushed around depending on his upper body strength IMO.
Polito

Post by Polito »

Whole Kante thing stinks - wasn’t pleased with his exit from the minute it came out - this whole thing is pretty fishy and really crappy for both sides. Def curious to the real story here...

Sure he’ll do well in the NEC, he’s always one of us, all the best to him.
The Shadow

Post by The Shadow »

According to Verbal Commits, Kalil Farmer, 2 star 6'3" SG out of Philadelphia Roman Catholic HS, committed today to HU for 2022-23. Looks like the first for Speedy's new class.
Wags

Post by Wags »

The Shadow wrote:According to Verbal Commits, Kalil Farmer, 2 star 6'3" SG out of Philadelphia Roman Catholic HS, committed today to HU for 2022-23. Looks like the first for Speedy's new class.
Philly, huh? Hopes he's good. We owe Drexel one for the Dragons taking Cam Wynter from Hempstead.
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

Congrats to Speedy on this year's first recruit. Now can we have a few big men please!
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

HUSID74 wrote:Congrats to Speedy on this year's first recruit. Now can we have a few big men please!
Amen to that!
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Just an FYI looking at the Johnnies stats Coburn getting 14.3 minutes averaging 4.6 points a game. Played in 9 of 12 games. Injured? Also Schutte has not stepped onto the court for Incarnate Word not sure what that's about?? Kante at LIU playing almost 30 minutes a game averaging 13.3 and getting 7.8 boards on a team that is 3-9. He's playing well and get this he has attempted 17 three's and made 3 or .176. Just thought I would throw that in surprised that he even has attempts.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

Coburn missed games four, nine, and twelve, so they weren't consecutive games.
The Shadow

Post by The Shadow »

Just saw on Verbal Commits that Zion Bethea will be transferring.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

No suprise there
Hofstra

Post by Hofstra »

The Shadow wrote:Just saw on Verbal Commits that Zion Bethea will be transferring.
Who?
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

I've been saying that for a while now a real shocker. I would have loved to see him in a few games getting minutes because he had good ratings coming out of H.S.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

While we're on the subject Vukasin Masic playing for Maine 5-20 getting 28 minutes a game is tied for the leading scorer on the team at 9.8 points a game. He's shooting 38% from beyond the arc and 83% from the FT line. Certainly respectable numbers.
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

Bethea never showed us anything. He'll probably end up in Div 2 or some low major. Best of luck to him, hope he finds a place where he can play.
garyg

Post by garyg »

Hopefully we can use his scholly for an impact player
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

HUSID74 wrote:Bethea never showed us anything. He'll probably end up in Div 2 or some low major. Best of luck to him, hope he finds a place where he can play.
Honestly haven't seen enough of him big mystery but I think he's better then a D2 player but we'll see how it shakes out.