MBB @ Drexel, Thursday, 2/10/22, 7 PM

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
Wags

Re: MBB @ Drexel, Thursday, 2/10/22, 7 PM

Post by Wags »

Estrada was Estrada, great as usual. Played the full 40 minutes. Never had a 30-point game in his career before the home win over Delaware. Now he's had four in his past nine games. His 32 pts tonight were efficient (14/21 fg, 4/6 from 3). He's 23/41 (56.1% from 3) after starting the season 25/101 (24.7%) from 3. Estrada's game is quickly growing to even greater heights before our eyes.

BUT, we expect that by now from Estrada. This game was won because of Ray. THAT is the Jalen Ray I've been looking for. I've pointed out his several no-shows here. Tonight, he was the Jalen Ray Hofstra needs the rest of the way, and I hope this is a turning point for him in terms of consistency. As efficient as Estrada was in having a great game, Ray was even more efficient: 20 pts on only 7 shots, a perfect 3/3 from 2 and 3/4 from 3, and even though he missed a couple of FTs, he got to the line 7 times (5 before Drexel fouled late to stop the clock), something he's barely done all season (he had just 3 total FTA in his prior 7 games).

Now, one last step... Cooks, great in the 2nd half in the last game, a no-show himself tonight offensively. So they need to somehow get all three of them finally being productive at the same time. Estrada's been consistent, but Ray and Cooks take turns. It's hard with three guys who can score and only one basketball, so kind of just the nature of it. But if they can figure that one out, with Dubar, Iyiola, others adding more modest contributions, they'll be unbeatable in this league.

We are now starting to see the separation on who will probably be in the CAA semis, the same four at the top right now:
UNCW 10-2, Towson 9-4, Hofstra 8-4, Delaware 7-4.
And then no one else above .500 in CAA play at fifth-place or lower.
Hofstra

Post by Hofstra »

Didnt see tonights game, but I am thrilled that we won going away. Nice to see.
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

For what it's worth, attendance appeared low and subdued. I always liked the DAK because the students were right on the court, across from the visitors' bench, where they could razz their opponents all game long. I did not notice much of that tonight.
Wags

Post by Wags »

Jojogunne wrote:For what it's worth, attendance appeared low and subdued. I always liked the DAK because the students were right on the court, across from the visitors' bench, where they could razz their opponents all game long. I did not notice much of that tonight.
Visual proof of your point:
https://twitter.com/antjroberts/status/ ... 6587592707

The DAK is a cool, intimate setting, and like you said, tough for opponents in theory (but over the years, I'm not sure I've seen highlights or TV games of any Drexel home games without a good number of empty seats). It's too bad they were never able to execute that plan to convert the armory into Drexel's new arena. The concept sounded amazing, the perfect blend of old-school college basketball field house and state-of-the-art modern amenities. The artist renderings looked great.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Were fans required to mask up for the game at Drexel Attendance was only 838
garyg

Post by garyg »

What's the story with J. Carlos ??
Pride97

Post by Pride97 »

garyg wrote:What's the story with J. Carlos ??
Its interesting how he just fell out of the rotation. Could have been playing more due to injuries earlier or staff feels he's not up to speed yet.

Honestly, i think Speedy has decided that Burgess deserves more minutes (i agree) and that has pushed Carlos to the bench. Burgess is a good ball handler, good distributor and doesn't make too many mistakes. As Speedy has said, he's their best defender and i thought did a good job on Wynter lats night.
HofstraMathew

Post by HofstraMathew »

Carlos is a freshman and definitely still getting used to the college game. I am sure he will be a player for us next year and after that. His minutes have essentially gone away when Ray and Cooks are both healthy. Also with a bit more health at the big man level it has allowed Silverio to play the 3 at times with Dubar on the court which cuts into minutes for the other guards. And as mentioned Burgess has gotten more minutes recently.

I would like to see us get a blowout win or two down the stretch where Speedy can bring him in for some minutes at least.
Wags

Post by Wags »

How many guys can you play? They're already playing eight guys significant minutes, and that's without Cramer in the mix of late. And they're on a three-game winning streak as one of the top teams in the conference that way.

I know this board seemingly always wants the entire roster to play every game, but most coaches at every level seek to shorten, not lengthen rotations as much as possible.

If deserved, Carlos will eventually get his chances in the future. May not be this year, and if not, that's perfectly fine.
Polito

Post by Polito »

Tell ya what, Estrada isn’t flashy or explosive or ‘loud’, but that young man is smooooooooth as silk. What a player he’s developing in to - he’s got that quiet workman like approach, and has become incredibly dangerous - creates his own space, can drive the lane, hit the mid range, nail from deep, only needs an inch to bury you, he’s the full package

So few players today understand or value the power of the mid range game - too hyped up about the 3 ball and dunking. It can make you a game changer today.

Dubar continues to impress - the more I see the more I like - wings like that are impact players at this level, he’s got even bigger potential from what he’s starting to show

I would agree wags on Ray, IF he can find his way this final stretch through the CAAT, then this could be what gets them to the top - I’m hoping he turns it on using his vast experience during crunch time

Forget it if he and Cooks figure out how to play together with Estrada - but I don’t think that’s going to happen - I think we’ll continue to see them trade off - it if they can settle in together at least with the way Estrada is playing, that just might do it. Still a tough road but it’s possible.

As I said weeks ago, was over it in Jan, they were not ready and frustrating to follow, and would be back in Feb to see what this group is ready to do - now is when it matters most - good road win, need to build on it all the way through
HofstraMathew

Post by HofstraMathew »

Wags wrote:How many guys can you play? They're already playing eight guys significant minutes, and that's without Cramer in the mix of late. And they're on a three-game winning streak as one of the top teams in the conference that way.

I know this board seemingly always wants the entire roster to play every game, but most coaches at every level seek to shorten, not lengthen rotations as much as possible.

If deserved, Carlos will eventually get his chances in the future. May not be this year, and if not, that's perfectly fine.
Agreed; we have gone deeper into our bench this year than Mihalich ever did.
ZMAN3

Post by ZMAN3 »

A VERY GOOD WIN - teams are pretty even and Estrada easily the difference - I'm to the point where I'm surprised when he misses. Be wise for opposition to take the ball out of his hands. On the negative side the D is and wasn't as solid as necessary to take the CAA tourney. Drexel got to the basket countless times only to miss layups and putbacks and they scored a large majority of their points in the paint. D needs to be shored up because we won't always shoot 56 from 3 and 58 overall.
Other negative is shot selection - too many poor, go for myself shots by Cook and Silverio (and in other games by Ray) Believe it or not that could have been an easier W. - but A VERY GOOD WIN!
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

HofstraMathew wrote:
Wags wrote: How many guys can you play? They're already playing eight guys significant minutes, and that's without Cramer in the mix of late. And they're on a three-game winning streak as one of the top teams in the conference that way.

Using nine or ten guys is a lot more common than having seven guys play at least 20 minutes like we did last night. Carlos shoots poorly, but he won't be better next season by not playing now. Estrada is now our only player in the top 10 in the CAA in minutes per game. The last time we had only one player in the top 10 was Zeke Upshaw in 2013-2014.

Estrada leads the CAA in almost as many of the thirteen statistics as he's not in the leaders for. He leads in points, assists, and free throw percentage. He's not in the leaders in field goal percentage, three-point field goal percentage, blocked shots, and offensive rebounds. He plays 0.4 minutes fewer than Wynter, so Estrada could lead in four categories. It's rare for anybody to get points, rebounds, and assists like he does. JMU's Matt Lewis was similar last season.
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

Body language says a lot. Carlos sits with the redshirts on the bench. If that were me, I'd be sitting as close to the coaches as possible. I'd be surprised if he gets much PT next season, if he's here at all.
Wags

Post by Wags »

HofstraMathew wrote:
Wags wrote:How many guys can you play? They're already playing eight guys significant minutes, and that's without Cramer in the mix of late. And they're on a three-game winning streak as one of the top teams in the conference that way.

Who, by the way, led Hofstra its only CAA tournament title that way, with virtually no bench.

I think we get way too caught up in advocating for the end of the bench to play. Maybe because just about every recruit discussed here is initially touted as the next coming. But it doesn't always work out that way. If players are deserving of the time and can be helpful in getting wins, they'll get the time. If not, no need to force it.
Wags

Post by Wags »

ZMAN3 wrote: A VERY GOOD WIN - teams are pretty even and Estrada easily the difference - I'm to the point where I'm surprised when he misses.
This is why I think Ray was the difference last night, because we can count on Estrada every game, and lately, to the point where it's about 50/50 if he'll reach 30 points. Ray, not so much, be he showed up great last night.
ZMAN3 wrote: On the negative side the D is and wasn't as solid as necessary to take the CAA tourney.
This is a WAY bigger issue than who plays or doesn't play at the end of the bench, yet discussed a lot less than that. This won the CAA tourney for them two years ago and will be needed again to repeat the same this year. Also, rebounding and giving up second chances - the biggest reason Elon eliminated HU in the CAA tourney last year.
ZMAN3 wrote: Other negative is shot selection - too many poor, go for myself shots by Cook and Silverio (and in other games by Ray) Believe it or not that could have been an easier W. - but A VERY GOOD WIN!
This is true, but although this makes it harder on themselves offensively than they need it to be (especially with a lot of offensive weapons, if they would just move the ball and move without it a little more), they generally find a way (thanks mainly, to Estrada leading the way) to find enough scoring. Still comes down to getting enough stops and securing their own glass at the other end, and it likely will in the CAA tourney, too.
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

Jojogunne wrote:Body language says a lot. Carlos sits with the redshirts on the bench. If that were me, I'd be sitting as close to the coaches as possible. I'd be surprised if he gets much PT next season, if he's here at all.
JOJO, look at Justin Buie, they hardly played at all their freshman years and Jenkins was red-shirted. If Carlos is SERIOUS about becoming a great player he will stay and work his arse off under Speedy.

If not, good riddance!
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Pride97 wrote:
garyg wrote:What's the story with J. Carlos ??
Its interesting how he just fell out of the rotation. Could have been playing more due to injuries earlier or staff feels he's not up to speed yet.

Honestly, i think Speedy has decided that Burgess deserves more minutes (i agree) and that has pushed Carlos to the bench. Burgess is a good ball handler, good distributor and doesn't make too many mistakes. As Speedy has said, he's their best defender and i thought did a good job on Wynter lats night.
This does say it all now doesn't it. I would be the first to admit and I'm not alone to say how disappointed I'm at what JC hasn't done this year. He had plenty of opportunities to show everybody something when he got minutes and he got plenty of them in different games. He has shot 1-15 from beyond the arc. His presence on the court when he's there has been a negative. He doesn't score not great with the ball and gets beat on D. So as much as a lot of us wanted him to succeed he has fallen short.I would love to see him come back with a vengeance and wreak havoc in this league but I somehow feel the jury is out on this. People want to give him a pass here because he's a freshman but plenty of kids putting up good numbers as freshman. The way that Burgess has been playing it's going to be tough for JC to get any minutes and that's the way it should be until he proves he deserves to be on the court. In his corner though and would love to see him be a star here.

HUSID we have had this discussion before and where JWF played 4 minutes a game JC is averaging almost 10. Buie played 12 minutes and had at least a resume getting three points a game. JC's body of work has been non existent for the most part let's be honest. Again the ball is in his court(pun intended) so let's see what he does with it.
Wags

Post by Wags »

HUSID74 wrote:
Jojogunne wrote:Body language says a lot. Carlos sits with the redshirts on the bench. If that were me, I'd be sitting as close to the coaches as possible. I'd be surprised if he gets much PT next season, if he's here at all.
JOJO, look at Justin Buie, they hardly played at all their freshman years and Jenkins was red-shirted. If Carlos is SERIOUS about becoming a great player he will stay and work his arse off under Speedy.

If not, good riddance!
If Charles, himself, telling this very thing to the whole team last week, and Speedy, who walked in Charles' shoes long before, now as head coach of the team, echoing Charles' words doesn't make this abundantly clear to Carlos or any other player on that roster, what would?!?!
Wags

Post by Wags »

EvanJ wrote: Using nine or ten guys is a lot more common than having seven guys play at least 20 minutes like we did last night.
But good teams? Good teams have good starters and try to let them play as much as they can handle, especially if they have good conditioning. Worse teams normally play their benches more for a reason -- because they have to, because their starters are lacking. There are always some exceptions and some teams are just talented and deep, but that's normally an upper-echelon team, like how Calipari can recruit ten very talented guys for Kentucky. That's not normally the case with most good teams, especially good mid-major teams with good starters.