Charles Jenkins Pep Talk

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
triplec2195

Charles Jenkins Pep Talk

Post by triplec2195 »

Charles stopped by the Mack yesterday to give what I believe was a well needed motivational speech to the team. Everything from hard work to communicating on the court a perfectly timed and well needed talk to this team that seems to be floundering for a bunch of different reasons. Hope that it helps! https://twitter.com/HofstraMBB/status/1 ... 3325915144
HUSID74

Re: Charles Jenkins Pep Talk

Post by HUSID74 »

Charles did an unbelievable job with the talk IMO...well timed and needed!

Let's see if it translates onto the court!
Pride97

Post by Pride97 »

Wow - what a great talk! The expression on Speedy’s face and his small interjections say it all. He clearly doesn’t feel the team is putting in the time or playing to their potential.

Have to wonder now when the players who we think are our best players have long stretches on the bench if there are other reasons than rest or injuries for that. One of our scoring stars spent a lot of time on the bench in the Towson loss when we desperately needed scoring. I figured it was injury related but watching this was eye opening for me. It’s easy to blame the coaches when players don’t perform, but if they aren’t willing to put in the work then there are limitations to what coaching can do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
HofstraMathew

Post by HofstraMathew »

On instagram Carlos posted to his story a picture of him in the practice facility at 11:06pm with the following words on the screen:

"I will never forget that they counting me out"

Not sure if this is related but figured this might be a good spot to post this. Hopefully the they he is referencing isn't Speedy and the coaching staff.
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

Sounds like he's thinking of transferring.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

It's nice that Jenkins still cares about the team.

Five of the ten players we used are seniors or graduates. Even if they have eligible to play for us as graduates next season, we can't count on it. Those five have played 51 percent of our minutes, and it would have been more without injuries. If all five of them and Carlos leave, the most players we could return next season are two starters (Estrada and Dubar), and two players who are playing less than last season (Burgess and Cramer). Because of players who transfer, I'd expect the rate of players reaching milestones like 1,500 points with one team is decreasing, not to mention how many more players would do that if all players had to play four seasons before going pro.
Wags

Post by Wags »

I like this part:

"I've played on teams (in Europe) where guys didn't speak English at all and we found a way to communicate... somehow, we managed to win because basketball's a universal language."
HU87

Post by HU87 »

No doubt that Speedy spoke to Charles beforehand and told him what he'd like him to speak to.

With that assumption, not hard to also assume that this team is having its fair share of leadership, communication, and work ethic issues behind the scenes. Charles seemed to go hard on trusting your teammates and putting in the work.
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

Good to see Charles and JWF at the game yesterday. I wonder how many of our current players know how good they were?
Wags

Post by Wags »

Jojogunne wrote:Good to see Charles and JWF at the game yesterday. I wonder how many of our current players know how good they were?
I'm pretty sure that they either already knew or it was made abundantly clear when they were recruited (whether out of high school, prep school or as a college transfer) how good those guys were. How could you be a mid-major program like Hofstra and not mention your two NBA draft picks as a recruiting tool to tell your recruits: Hey, that could be you too, if you think you're good enough, if you come to HU and if work hard enough to achieve the same.

BTW, when is JWF finally joining Charles and Speedy in the rafters and getting his number retired? Long overdue.
Flying Dutchmen

Post by Flying Dutchmen »

Great pep talk from Charles. Tremendous asset to have such a class act part of our program.

I haven't commented about this team this year, but they lack identity. It's a new coaching staff, major roster turnover, inherent deficiencies in the frontcourt, etc. so I expected it would take some time to gel, but too many opportunities to close out games have been missed. There is too much offensive talent in the backcourt on this team to be middling in the CAA. Hopefully having Charles, JWF, Juan'ya around this week has a positive impact on this team's focus down the stretch, the league is pretty soft, it's anyone's for the taking.
Polito

Post by Polito »

CJ is a national treasure - a LEGEND - and that man played on some AWFUL HU teams. A mans man who honored his commitment, put in the work, stayed humble, and earned every bit of success he's had up to this point. An American Hero 8-)

What a winner to come and give back - kudos CJ, you are the epitome of Guard U
There is too much offensive talent in the backcourt on this team to be middling in the CAA. Hopefully having Charles, JWF, Juan'ya around this week has a positive impact on this team's focus down the stretch, the league is pretty soft, it's anyone's for the taking.
100% agree.

Sadly, this pep talk did little to impact their play in the JMU game. Wondering if it even sunk into the guys it needed to. As Z said, WAYYYYY too much hero ball on this squad. And that crap literally NEVER wins. No idea where they even get the inkling it will help them. It won't. Estrada continues to do it on his own. Cooks and Ray are an ongoing issue. Sometimes in tandem, sometimes alone. I sometimes wonder why Ray even came back with some of his play... or lack of. Time to man up dude and be the leader you're on scholly to be - nagging injuries or not, that's part of the game, it's time to cowboy up.

Cooks, learn team play or you're not going far, on the court or in life. Carlos? Not sure what he's thinking, not looking to spread any rumor. But in the event he's frustrated, welcome to D1 - stay humble work hard and you'll literally be a superstar in 1-2 years and on your way pro somewhere, like numerous other HU greats. Not hard to figure out, need to listen to the right people.

The team has a big chance against the W to show things are sinking in... we'll see.
Wags

Post by Wags »

Happy Twosday - 2.22.22 on Tuesday.

A good day for the best No. 22 in Hofstra hoops history.
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

How many have we won in a row since the pep talk????
Wags

Post by Wags »

HUSID80 wrote:How many have we won in a row since the pep talk????
The entire six-game winning streak. I think it helped to a degree, but I think the streak is mainly coincidental, given they were pretty good (but not great) in struggling to beat JMU in OT the next day and were outplayed by Northeastern and needed a late miracle to win that one.
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

Wags wrote:
The entire six-game winning streak. I think it helped to a degree, but I think the streak is mainly coincidental, given they were pretty good (but not great) in struggling to beat JMU in OT the next day and were outplayed by Northeastern and needed a late miracle to win that one.
Then again we handled Delaware pretty well and blew out Elon...was the glass half full or half empty?

Bottom line is that since the talk we're 6-0!
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

HUSID80 wrote:
Wags wrote:
Then again we handled Delaware pretty well and blew out Elon...was the glass half full or half empty?

Also during this 6 game win streak coincidental or not (I think not) beginning with the O/T game against JMU either Ray or Cooks scored in double figures but not both. Estrada of course was consistent in every game like he has been for a good part of the year. So the Jenkins speech clearly didn't hurt probably helped and the one take away in every one of these wins were contributions from either Ray or Cooks. If both of them have a flat game it might be tough for us to win unless we're getting a solid game from Omar. True??
Wags

Post by Wags »

HUSID80 wrote:
Wags wrote:

They blew out Elon because Silverio made 11 3s. Did he do that because Jenkins spoke to the team? Eh, not buying that. That kind of talk can help with intensity on defense, with rebounding, getting 50/50 balls. But with shooting? Not so sure it played any role at all in whether Silverio was 11/16 from 3 at Elon or whether he was 0/5 from 2 (1/6 overall) the next game. That's likely all Silverio both times.

Did the talk help the team (or were they even thinking about it at all?) when they closed 11-0 to beat Northeastern after getting outplayed until that point by a team they beat by 22 in Boston long before Jenkins spoke to the team? Doubtful.

That kind of pep talk can only help, it never hurts. So always do it when you can. But I'm not so sure it's responsible for this streak. To some small extent in helping the team refocus, maybe. But I think they might very well be on this current streak -- which could have easily been 4-2 or 3-3 as much as 6-0 (JMU, UNCW, NU home games) -- regardless. In fact, they've played much better on the road during this streak (winning by 10, 14 and 33). If they truly took Jenkins' words to heart, why relax so much at home and barely win three games there during the streak? If motivated by the pep talk, why not have some home court pride and match the same good play at home that they showed for three games on the road?
Wags

Post by Wags »

But as long as we're talking about Charles, here's some great news about him today:

https://twitter.com/HofstraPride/status ... 0424242192
https://twitter.com/HofstraPride/status ... 9182869511

But too bad it wasn't yesterday, on 2/22/22, for No. 22!
Wags

Post by Wags »

HUSID80 wrote: Bottom line is that since the talk we're 6-0!
Wags wrote: They blew out Elon because Silverio made 11 3s. Did he do that because Jenkins spoke to the team? Eh, not buying that. That kind of talk can help with intensity on defense, with rebounding, getting 50/50 balls. But with shooting? Not so sure it played any role at all in whether Silverio was 11/16 from 3 at Elon or whether he was 0/5 from 2 (1/6 overall) the next game. That's likely all Silverio both times.

Did the talk help the team (or were they even thinking about it at all?) when they closed 11-0 to beat Northeastern after getting outplayed until that point by a team they beat by 22 in Boston long before Jenkins spoke to the team? Doubtful.

That kind of pep talk can only help, it never hurts. So always do it when you can. But I'm not so sure it's responsible for this streak. To some small extent in helping the team refocus, maybe. But I think they might very well be on this current streak -- which could have easily been 4-2 or 3-3 as much as 6-0 (JMU, UNCW, NU home games) -- regardless. In fact, they've played much better on the road during this streak (winning by 10, 14 and 33). If they truly took Jenkins' words to heart, why relax so much at home and barely win three games there during the streak? If motivated by the pep talk, why not have some home court pride and match the same good play at home that they showed for three games on the road?
Now you see what I mean about being a much better road team and relaxing at home this season. I think that'll be different on Saturday because what Elon did to them with returning the favor, they'll want to do to W&M on Saturday, plus it's Senior Day. And then they should want to jump on Charleston on Monday because they may end up playing them twice in a row, next, in the CAA quarters. But who knows? Yeah, the home record is good. But there were way too many red flags at home this year and tonight, it caught up with them big time. They have largely played much better ball on the road this season. That might actually be a good thing for D.C.