MBB Recruits 2021

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
garyg

Re: MBB Recruits 2021

Post by garyg »

HofstraMathew wrote:Didn't want to start a new thread for this as I think it relates to recruiting but I was looking at our roster to see how many years of eligibility each player has remaining. Figured I would summarize it here; will go in reverse order of years left:

Cooks & Ray - Nothing left after this year. These will be the biggest pieces to replace. Hopefully Jaquan Carlos steps up to fill part of it.

Simmons - This was the surprise to me as it looks like he only played 3 years of basketball at Penn. So he would have another year after this. Obviously he could choose to just finish his career but before I looked into it I had just assumed this was his last year.

Iyiola & Silverio - One year of eligibility left after this year

Burgess & Estrada - Two years of eligibility left after this year

Cramer, Carlos & Dubar - Three years of eligibility left after this year

Everyone else will have three or four years left depending on if they redshirt this season or not.

Let me know if I have anything wrong here. But the future definitely looks bright.
The future does look bright based on your calculations.....
daHUPride

Post by daHUPride »

garyg wrote:
HofstraMathew wrote:Didn't want to start a new thread for this as I think it relates to recruiting but I was looking at our roster to see how many years of eligibility each player has remaining. Figured I would summarize it here; will go in reverse order of years left:

Cooks & Ray - Nothing left after this year. These will be the biggest pieces to replace. Hopefully Jaquan Carlos steps up to fill part of it.

Simmons - This was the surprise to me as it looks like he only played 3 years of basketball at Penn. So he would have another year after this. Obviously he could choose to just finish his career but before I looked into it I had just assumed this was his last year.

Iyiola & Silverio - One year of eligibility left after this year

Burgess & Estrada - Two years of eligibility left after this year

Cramer, Carlos & Dubar - Three years of eligibility left after this year

Everyone else will have three or four years left depending on if they redshirt this season or not.

Let me know if I have anything wrong here. But the future definitely looks bright.
The future does look bright based on your calculations.....
Cramer, Carlos and Dubar - make for a solid foundation for 3 years - I like that trio
garyg

Post by garyg »

What about Estrada with 2 more years left...he should get better and better
daHUPride

Post by daHUPride »

garyg wrote:What about Estrada with 2 more years left...he should get better and better
YEAH - love Estrada - I think he's our most rounded - versatile players.
I am so confused - so Estrada has this year plus 2 more years - that is awesome!!!!

2022-23 Carlos, Estrada, Dubar, Cramer, ????
2023-24 Carlos, Estrada, Dubar, Cramer, ????
2024-25 Carlos, ??????? , Dubar, Cramer, ????

That is SO Solid - potentially our most stable core.

Big Man for Hire - Apply Here!!!
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

daHUPride wrote:
garyg wrote:What about Estrada with 2 more years left...he should get better and better
YEAH - love Estrada - I think he's our most rounded - versatile players.
I am so confused - so Estrada has this year plus 2 more years - that is awesome!!!!

2022-23 Carlos, Estrada, Dubar, Cramer, ????
2023-24 Carlos, Estrada, Dubar, Cramer, ????
2024-25 Carlos, ??????? , Dubar, Cramer, ????

That is SO Solid - potentially our most stable core.

Big Man for Hire - Apply Here!!!
I like this better with at least Iyiola and Silverio for next year and an up n coming Griffin Barrouk who nobody talks about but who could be a diamond in the rough. Barrouk could fit into these plans very nicely a guard who has size and can shoot the three. We also don't mention Bethea. What is this kids status? He's more of a mystery then an Alfred Hitchcock movie. We know this kid can play so is he hurt, red shirting and transferring out??
Cards

Post by Cards »

Some have wondered if there is any recruiting action taking place. One of the bigs that HU has offered is 2022 6'10" Lual Manyang. He has offers from a nice group of schools. HU must be going after him pretty seriously as Manyang says HU is still recruiting him strongly. He has even taken an unofficial to HU to watch them practice. This is good news.
Though Manyang is just getting back on the court, that doesn’t mean his recruitment has slowed down. He just earned another offer from UCSB recently and holds offers from Hofstra, VCU, Siena, Saint Louis, Bryant, Charlotte, UMass, George Mason, NJIT, Seton Hall, and Manhattan.

When speaking to him about the latest in his recruitment, he talked about his latest offer and who else has been continuing to stay strong with him.

“I’m grateful to earn an offer from UCSB,” Manyang said. “UCSB likes my skill set and the impact I can bring to the game, as well as my height, effort, and energy. Hofstra, La Salle, Siena, and others (continue to stay strong in his recruitment).

Manyang has already taken unofficial visits to Hofstra and Siena, as he got a chance to watch Hofstra’s practice and a scrimmage at Siena. But he also mentioned that there are schools that he will be visiting soon but nothing has been set since he just is getting back from his injury.

But after he takes his visit, it doesn’t seem like the 2022 senior center won’t take much longer in making his decision.

“I will decide after my official visits.”
Are we still using this 2021 recruiting topic, or should everything now go under the 2022 topic??
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Cards wrote:Some have wondered if there is any recruiting action taking place. One of the bigs that HU has offered is 2022 6'10" Lual Manyang. He has offers from a nice group of schools. HU must be going after him pretty seriously as Manyang says HU is still recruiting him strongly. He has even taken an unofficial to HU to watch them practice. This is good news.
Though Manyang is just getting back on the court, that doesn’t mean his recruitment has slowed down. He just earned another offer from UCSB recently and holds offers from Hofstra, VCU, Siena, Saint Louis, Bryant, Charlotte, UMass, George Mason, NJIT, Seton Hall, and Manhattan.

When speaking to him about the latest in his recruitment, he talked about his latest offer and who else has been continuing to stay strong with him.

“I’m grateful to earn an offer from UCSB,” Manyang said. “UCSB likes my skill set and the impact I can bring to the game, as well as my height, effort, and energy. Hofstra, La Salle, Siena, and others (continue to stay strong in his recruitment).

Manyang has already taken unofficial visits to Hofstra and Siena, as he got a chance to watch Hofstra’s practice and a scrimmage at Siena. But he also mentioned that there are schools that he will be visiting soon but nothing has been set since he just is getting back from his injury.

“I will decide after my official visits.”
Are we still using this 2021 recruiting topic, or should everything now go under the 2022 topic??

But after he takes his visit, it doesn’t seem like the 2022 senior center won’t take much longer in making his decision.

2022 sounds appropriate. This kid has the same size/body weight as Bey. He's going to need to put on some muscle but hope we can land him since 6'9 240 pound monsters seem to elude us.
rood

Post by rood »

triplec2195 wrote:
Jojogunne wrote:The Gaeckler teams were loaded with talent. Kammerer and Rood still come to games.
Yes Jojo and I've talked to both of them on more then one occasion you probably also. Rood used to post on the forum until I think somebody beat him up here on his comments.
Rood is back!

Been quarantined out East since COVID, and couldn’t log on for some reason.

Really miss my Brother Pat Kammerer - he was our rock!

And Coach Mihalich- he is my friend!!

As for the 2022 Pride, Speedy has some talented scorers in the backcourt, but they are still learning how to play together.
Would like to see Estrada be more of a coach on the floor the way Speedy was for Jay.
Ray needs to be assertive on offense and not settle for 3’s - I relate to his game and want to see him play off of Estrada the way Laurel and I did…..
Believe that Speedy’s self confidence will rub off on them in March!
rood

Post by rood »

triplec2195 wrote:
Jojogunne wrote:The Gaeckler teams were loaded with talent. Kammerer and Rood still come to games.
Yes Jojo and I've talked to both of them on more then one occasion you probably also. Rood used to post on the forum until I think somebody beat him up here on his comments.
You guys were too rough on my team!
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

rood wrote:
triplec2195 wrote:
You guys were too rough on my team!
Never rough on this team Kenny and it was the first team I remember seeing after I graduated. Nice to see you back posting and stay in the mix. Love to have feed back from former players and that team was a special one. Just think of what could have been if the three point shot was in effect back then. You probably dream of that. Be well!! Yes losing Pat was a tough one!!
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

rood wrote:
triplec2195 wrote:
Rood is back!

As for the 2022 Pride, Speedy has some talented scorers in the backcourt, but they are still learning how to play together.
Would like to see Estrada be more of a coach on the floor the way Speedy was for Jay.
Ray needs to be assertive on offense and not settle for 3’s - I relate to his game and want to see him play off of Estrada the way Laurel and I did…..
Hope u r right about his confidence rubbing off on them. They seem to be on a slippery slope right now!
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

Welcome back, KR! I saw you make many long-distance shots back in the day.
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

rood wrote:
triplec2195 wrote:
Rood is back!

Kenny, welcome back! Hope all is well! I'm in FLA...let'r talk soone!
Polito

Post by Polito »

Always great to have a living legend around, thumbs up to you KRood
Wags

Post by Wags »

Jojogunne wrote:Newsday just published an alphabetical list called the "Top 100 boys basketball players on Long Island for 2021-22 season."

I wouldn't mind us recruiting some of Hutchinson's teammates:

Jayden Reid, Long Island Lutheran, 5-11, G, Jr.
The Westbury native has interest from schools such as Virginia, Minnesota and Stony Brook, according to his coach. He shot 40% from beyond the arc and 85% from the foul line as a freshman.
https://twitter.com/jaydenreid0/status/ ... 3789734919
Polito

Post by Polito »

Ooohhhh great find, I likey this offer a lot - not sure about a 5'11 kid per say, BUT what I'm all in on is I desperately want HU to recruit locally especially LuHi - HU HAS to build key relationships and pipelines in local powerhouse programs like that, and LuHi has been THE most important one that HU has failed to mature in the past

It's hard, that program is a P5 factory, so I get it, but it's a MUST - HU needs to get talent from places like that every couple of years. A kid like this could be the start, esp if he pans out. DEF do not want him at SBU, that's for sure.

Relevant / recent offers from VCU, Dayton, St Bona, and FGCU is very solid, even at his size. Solid 3 star kid, top player in NY... reports sound like a tough hard nosed gritty 'old ny' style guard - not only gets bucket he's also a known DEFENDER - a '23 so could also grow a bit still - he posted a pic of JWF which is a great sign... Could be our PG of the future?!?