Rescheduling Games

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
HUSID74

Rescheduling Games

Post by HUSID74 »

So now what does the CAA do now? Why doesn't Hofstra play Northeastern this week, home and home????

Get the games in...it will then free up dates/slots for the make-up games.

Hopefully this Conference and the schools get their acts together and come up with some creative scheduling/options for this season.

Lots of the big time schools have scheduled games on the fly already this year...why can't we????
stuball888

Re: Rescheduling Games

Post by stuball888 »

Because its the CAA Clueless Anytime Anywhere
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

stuball888 wrote:Because its the CAA Clueless Anytime Anywhere
Good one Stu...and so true!
Wags

Post by Wags »

HUSID74 wrote:So now what does the CAA do now? Why doesn't Hofstra play Northeastern this week, home and home????

Hopefully this Conference and the schools get their acts together and come up with some creative scheduling/options for this season.

Lots of the big time schools have scheduled games on the fly already this year...why can't we????
This is what I was thinking - play teams that are the closest geographically (to make it the easiest logistically with travel) who aren't playing other games and don't have Covid issues within their programs.

The thing is, they already did this last year. When games were canceled for a team that had no Covid issues, they scrambled quickly to have that team play a different team that was Covid-free. And that worked out.

Northeastern, home and home, is one good example. Drexel plays tonight but doesn't play again until 1/11. Hofstra could play them Wed 1/5 since travel between NY and Philly is obviously pretty easy. I'm guessing the league is thinking that it's still very early in January, and there's time for makeups, assuming we don't have many further postponements, But I agree, since we have no idea what the future will bring over the rest of this month and in February, shift stuff around and get in as many games as possible now and then deal with trying to get in the rest of the remaining matchups later. They should also consider (as needed) playing on other days on which no CAA games are scheduled rather than sticking to only scheduled days and moving teams around on those days.
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

Wags wrote:
HUSID74 wrote:So now what does the CAA do now? Why doesn't Hofstra play Northeastern this week, home and home????

This is what I was thinking - play teams that are the closest geographically (to make it the easiest logistically with travel) who aren't playing other games and don't have Covid issues within their programs.

The thing is, they already did this last year. When games were canceled for a team that had no Covid issues, they scrambled quickly to have that team play a different team that was Covid-free. And that worked out.

Northeastern, home and home, is one good example. Drexel plays tonight but doesn't play again until 1/11. Hofstra could play them Wed 1/5 since travel between NY and Philly is obviously pretty easy. I'm guessing the league is thinking that it's still very early in January, and there's time for makeups, assuming we don't have many further postponements, But I agree, since we have no idea what the future will bring over the rest of this month and in February, shift stuff around and get in as many games as possible now and then deal with trying to get in the rest of the remaining matchups later. They should also consider (as needed) playing on other days on which no CAA games are scheduled rather than sticking to only scheduled days and moving teams around on those days.
Agree 100 per cent Wags, let's see if the League/schools agree.
Polito

Post by Polito »

In before this thread gets locked down too by the powers that be :P

I still think this is largely unnecessary and an overreaction to what has proven thus far to be a very mild variant. (thankfully), even with the high rate of transmission. Many don't even have symptoms, so that data point isn't what matters most (it's hospitalization and death rate). It's even more-so for this demographic of largely relative youth who are at extremely minimal risk (thankfully).

I'm not following why we can't just have the infected personnel to stay back and quarantine and allow the rest to play? Why is it a full lockdown of entirely vaccinated programs?

It just feels like if all the pro sports and college football could do it with a hundred plus people on a team, loads of coaches and support staff, PLENTY of indoor practices and operations regardless of outdoor games, then it seems like college basketball can figure this out too w/out completely derailing yet another season.

I really don't get this, but who knows, maybe I am off track.
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

What I saw was if you don't have 7 scholarship players and one healthy coach you must not play, so the programs that had to cancel,. i.e. UNCW and Charleston must not have met that criteria.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

At what point do these cancelled games become forfeits? who decides what games are forfeited and which games are made up. I sure hope politics doesnt rear its ugly head in deciding who gets the forfeits and who has to play the makeup games. The Big East has already enforced the forfeit rule so no one can play games later on. Pun intended.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Another one for you John CAA=Clueless About Athletics
Wags

Post by Wags »

stuball888 wrote:At what point do these cancelled games become forfeits? who decides what games are forfeited and which games are made up. I sure hope politics doesnt rear its ugly head in deciding who gets the forfeits and who has to play the makeup games. The Big East has already enforced the forfeit rule so no one can play games later on. Pun intended.
The Big East changed its forfeit rule specifically because Omicron would have already caused so many forfeits that the league decided that wasn't the best policy.

The CAA didn't have forfeits last season, with all men's hoops teams playing between 7 and 14 conference games instead of the 18 each was supposed to play, and the league seeded based on that. If they did that last year, they're very likely going to do the same instead of having any forfeits this year.
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

Looks like the UNCW game has been rescheduled for Friday, Feb 7 at Hofstra and the Elon game has moved to Tues. Feb 15 a Tuesday at Elon. Both games are at 7 pm.

Looks like we'll be idle until the JMU game on Jan 9.
Last edited by HUSID74 on Tue Jan 04, 2022 1:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Look at the schedule for February We play 4 games in 8 days
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

John dont we play JMU on the 9th
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

stuball888 wrote:John dont we play JMU on the 9th
Stu, you're right, it's the 9th at 4 pm....my bad!
cactus
Site Admin

Post by cactus »

A home and home against northeastern as sid mentioned, a school that also has a vaccination requirement for staff and students, with both teams not currently required to quarantine, would have been prudent to get some games in. The next few weeks are going to be rough with lots of potential to make a real mess of the schedule, and the league should have had some foresight and been better prepared. This variant may be milder but is not mild (with some evidence it is actually worse for younger people than previous variants), and the gross # of cases due to its transmissivity looks like it is going to cause major problems. Some states like Maryland have already declared a state of emergency with hospitals overloading and staff shortages. NY hospitalizations are at a 20 month high as of today and climbing, but unvaccinated persons currently make up 14x (!) the covid admissions of those who are vaccinated (some quick math, somewhere around 1 in 300 unvaccinated NYers are in the hospital right this second, which is just crazy). JMU doesn't have a vaccination requirement (although over 90% staff and 93% students are), but still would not be surprised if that one gets moved as well.

Was hoping that we'd be able to move off the covid conversation and get back to basketball but not looking good right now.
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

Agree Cactus. With Covid running rempant you would think the League would have scheduled games this week among schools that were able to play....if more games get cancelled within the next couple of weeks, and surely there will be, the schedule going forward will look like the NBA,
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

I have an idea just extend the season March madness becomes April madness Dont pile all the games up in February where travel will still be an issue
Wags

Post by Wags »

stuball888 wrote:I have an idea just extend the season March madness becomes April madness Dont pile all the games up in February where travel will still be an issue
They talked about this in 2020 as an alternative to canceling the tournament. Didn't happen then, so I don't think it'll happen this year even though the circumstances are very different now vs. then. If it did happen, the name should change to April Anarchy or something. However, there are a lot of factors to prevent that idea from happening that most people don't consider, like CBS (in conjunction with its TNT/TBS/TruTV NCAA tourney partners) always wanting the Final Four and championship game to lead into The Masters, for one.
Wags

Post by Wags »

Assuming no other changes for HU (yes, a big assumption right now), Hofstra would have the rare oddity of playing the final 2/3 of the CAA slate alternating three-game road swings and three-game homestands. With the UNCW and Elon home games and the Elon road game moved to February, the Pride would close like this:

1/22 @ Northeastern
1/27 @ Charleston
1/29 @ UNCW

2/3 vs Towson
2/5 vs JMU
2/7 vs UNCW

2/10 @ Drexel
2/12 @ Delaware
2/15 @ Elon

2/19 vs Northeastern
2/24 vs Elon
2/26 vs William & Mary

That still leaves them one home game short (no makeup date for a Charleston home game yet, to make up the one they would've played tonight). If that's made up after 1/11 (when they're at Towson) and before 1/22 (when they go to Northeastern after they host Delaware on 1/15 and Drexel on 1/17), then it'll be that three road/three home pattern over the final 15 CAA games (instead of the final 12).
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

This seems like a no rest for the weary schedule and teams with deeper benches could be in a better place with all these games near each other. Every week you will have to prepare for three different opponents. Of course everyone is at the same disadvantage. Hopefully after this pause we are COMPLETELY healthy and at FULL STRENGTH.