Game 14 at William & Mary Wednesday December 29 at 7:00 P.M.

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
daHUPride

Re: Game 14 at William & Mary Wednesday December 29 at 7:00

Post by daHUPride »

This was so bad - that will be my only comment on this game.
RollPride15

Post by RollPride15 »

What a nightmare. Unacceptable, too many people that you could blame. Ultimately this falls on Speedy. Figure it out, because these checked-out performances are not going to cut it.
Hofstra

Post by Hofstra »

RollPride15 wrote:What a nightmare. Unacceptable, too many people that you could blame. Ultimately this falls on Speedy. Figure it out, because these checked-out performances are not going to cut it.
Falls on Speedy for not taking Omar out.
cactus
Site Admin

Post by cactus »

Cooks limped off the court at the end btw

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk
Pride97

Post by Pride97 »

Absolutely pathetic. Don’t need 24 hours to think about this. Lost to a winless team. Way worse that the Stony Brook loss.

This team showed no heart or PRIDE. The shot selection was awful and out Coach did NOTHING about it.

The great defense looked terrible as well. Guess they are every part of a mediocre team in the CAA

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

So we go from arguably the best win in program history to what could be one of the worst losses in recent history (based on how bad W&M is statistically) in a span of 3 games….
HU87

Post by HU87 »

Emotional Post Incoming...

I'd rather play 4 on 5 then have Silverio out there another minute.

Watching him drain that long 3 with less than 4 minutes left actually made me think "Oh No!" even after it went in... those made 3's will just be traded off with 10 more misses over the course of the season.

Seeing him get the ball with 15 seconds left, it was again just too easy to see that he'd cough it up and cost us the game.

It seems we're ravaged by injury... I get it. But we need to figure it out, because having Carlos and Silverio out there in crunch time is just not going to win us games this year.
cactus
Site Admin

Post by cactus »

ProudofPride wrote:So we go from arguably the best win in program history to what could be one of the worst losses in recent history (based on how bad W&M is statistically) in a span of 3 games….
That level of inconsistency is a sign of either:

- a very talented team with bad coaching, or
- a not very talented team with great coaching
RollPride15

Post by RollPride15 »

Fact of the matter is we had 5 assists and god knows how many turnovers. The offense was absolutely putrid, like it should call this entire coaching staff and team into question. A lot of kids who grew up thinking they're the next Curry and in reality they couldn't hit water from a boat.

Speedy needs to put the offense in positions to succeed, more movement, more attacking the interior. I hope he knows he needs to change or his tenure here is not going to last very long. Just a totally inexcusable performance. You could put it on a bunch of players, Silverio especially, but ultimately it's Speedy's fault for not adjusting and for even finishing the game with TWO TIMEOUTS. Mind-bogglingly bad.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

HU87 wrote:Emotional Post Incoming...

Watching him drain that long 3 with less than 4 minutes left actually made me think "Oh No!" even after it went in... those made 3's will just be traded off with 10 more misses over the course of the season.

Seeing him get the ball with 15 seconds left, it was again just too easy to see that he'd cough it up and cost us the game.

It seems we're ravaged by injury... I get it. But we need to figure it out, because having Carlos and Silverio out there in crunch time is just not going to win us games this year.
Yes after watching this nightmare Silverio feast or famine and Carlos getting beat on defense and not giving us any scoring. Just another embarrassing loss. Where was Dubar injured as well??
Hofstra

Post by Hofstra »

triplec2195 wrote:
HU87 wrote:Emotional Post Incoming...

Yes after watching this nightmare Silverio feast or famine and Carlos getting beat on defense and not giving us any scoring. Just another embarrassing loss. Where was Dubar injured as well??
I dont think Carlos was the problem tonight. He's a young freshman who is getting better. The problem tonight, and in so many losses was Omar.

Unsure what happened to Dubar. I hope he is ok. He is having a great season. We really missed him down the stretch.
Dooku25

Post by Dooku25 »

Wow. Talk about playing down to the competition. What exactly was tonight's game plan? Just show up and shoot 34 three's and win? Team had no energy tonight. All conference games on the road are tough. Respect your opponent and take it to them. They weren't interested tonight. Pathetic.
cactus
Site Admin

Post by cactus »

cactus wrote:This is one of the worst offensive games I've ever seen hofstra play and that's saying a lot
6-34 from 3
6-18 on layups
6:12 assist: turnover ratio
against a non athletic defense where most possessions they just stood around the 3 point line and took a step back 3 at the end of the shot clock
I've turned games off before but this was like watching a car wreck
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Carlos a freshman but was constantly getting beat off the dribble no scoring from him and he misses the front end of a one and one. He was definitely a part of the problem but there were a lot of problem areas in this game and with the lead and the ball there's no way you lose to this team. The fact that we came back to get the lead compliments of Ray was a miracle. Then you throw it away. Deja-vu Houston and Maryland, UGLY!!
Polito

Post by Polito »

LOL it’s all ya can do after crap like that. W&M is one of the worst teams in the nation. Pretty embarrassing staff - this is on you - step it up for goodness sake, it’s conf season.

Ain’t winning 3 in 3 by only shooting 3’s. How many times do you all need to fail to get this through your thick heads??

Said this for literally years - you have to have a different offensive game plan when you can’t hit from deep. Have you seriously learned nothing from the JM years Speedy?? I mean cmon dude, this isn’t rocket science.

But sure, keep chucking, keep forcing it when it isn’t working, should work out great just like the last umpteen years. You’ll make the dance once every 2 decades like the rest.

Yawn. This is the same BS as before Speedy - win one big game and then force trash game plans as if you don’t know any other way. Expecting MUCH better, first year or not. HU should destroy this soft conf.

Granted it’s been a crazy year in the NCAA with top and bottom teams playing see saw with each other, this isn’t the end of the world, but my goodness man show us you’re not going to repeat the same BS we’ve seen for years and that this program will actually evolve into a true top tier mid, instead of being a one trick pony all the friggin time.

My gosh man it’s infuriating. Aren’t you sick of it? Friggin raise the damn standard and fix this crap.
Wags

Post by Wags »

Will the real Hofstra Pride please stand up? I've seen some enigmatic HU teams in the past, but I think this team has been the biggest enigma I've seen yet. I guess they just play to the competition. They can push Houston and Maryland to the brink and beat Arkansas and Monmouth, but somehow get outscored by 20 in the second half at Stony Brook and lose at W&M. Really hard team to figure out. The biggest thing is that if they're going to really do something in the CAA this year, W&M was the type of team they need to sweep, even if one of those was close on the road. It was close, but just can't lose to a team like that. So I guess it's back to the drawing board.

But it's the overdependence on the 3. Gotta find other ways to score when they're cold from there and they often don't. Estrada 1/9, Ray 4/12, Cooks 0/4, Silverio 1/8 from 3. That's just brutal. The problem is it's not an aberration. They've been this cold before despite being hot from 3 in other games. They're just very streaky and that's a problem.

This shouldn't all be on Ray by any stretch, but here we are yet again. I got some pushback here after his 1/11 at Stony Brook for pointing out that these types of games are too frequent from Ray for the type of player we expect (really, hope) him to be, here were are again - 4/12 from 3, only two 2-point attempts and 6 FTs (good that he made them all, but not enough trips to the line when settling and missing from deep like that). Expected more from him tonight in one of his last trips to his home state. But he is who is he. One of the better ones at HU all-time but not one of the best. When other guys are off and they need him to pull out a close game, he has to be the leader to lift them up this year, especially in his fifth year. Tonight, he didn't do that even though he made that go-ahead 3 in the final minute and assisted on Silverio's only 3 late. Not enough. He's going to have to become a true dependable leader if they're going to get where they want to go this season. I mean, games like tonight, the Stony Brook game, that's not why you take advantage of a very special opportunity with the Covid rule and come back as a super senior. He has to do more with that very rare and special kind of opportunity.

On the plus side, they figured to lose ground to no one in the big picture since the CAA was (as it often is) crazy tonight. Chances are, they'll be battling teams like Delaware and Northeastern at the top rather than teams like UNCW, W&M or Elon later on. And, go figure, tonight not only does W&M beat HU, but UNCW beat Delaware at home 70-68 and Elon beat Northeastern easily at home tonight, 79-62.
Dooku25

Post by Dooku25 »

Just saw Speedy's post game presser. He basically said some of the things I mentioned earlier. They didn't respect the opponent. He thought they learned their lesson after the SB game but apparently not. He also wasn't happy with their ball screen defense. Cooks and Dubar both have ankle injuries. The severity is unknown right now. They could be out Friday against Elon who blew out Northeastern tonight. This road trip to start conference play could turn out to be a disaster if it isn't already.
Wags

Post by Wags »

Dooku25 wrote:Just saw Speedy's post game presser. He basically said some of the things I mentioned earlier. They didn't respect the opponent. He thought they learned their lesson after the SB game but apparently not. He also wasn't happy with their ball screen defense. Cooks and Dubar both have ankle injuries. The severity is unknown right now. They could be out Friday against Elon who blew out Northeastern tonight. This road trip to start conference play could turn out to be a disaster if it isn't already.
Dubar was playing well recently. To have him and Cooks both limited for a noon Friday tip against a confident Elon team after losing on a Wednesday night is a tough task.
Dooku25

Post by Dooku25 »

Wags wrote: Dubar was playing well recently. To have him and Cooks both limited for a noon Friday tip against a confident Elon team after losing on a Wednesday night is a tough task.
Dubar has been good all season and is one of the best players on the team. It would be a huge loss if he misses significant time. Hopefully that's not going to be the case.
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

NOTHING MORE TO SAY EXCEPT THAT THIS WAS THE WORST CAA PERFORMANCE I CAN REMEMBER! Thought we turned the corner after the SB loss and victories over Arkansas and Monmouth but NO....lost a lot of faith in this team last night and now with Cooks and Dubar potentially out we are officially IN TROUBLE