Jon this team can play with anyone in the country Every game is winnable
CTDutch

Re: Mens Soccer 2021

Post by CTDutch »

Totally agree Stu. Looking for a win on Sunday
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

You have to pay Penn State at least $9.95 for a month to watch.

As expected, NCAA.com reporter Natalie Bode predicted us to beat Lipscomb and lose to Penn State.
Cards

Post by Cards »

HU up 3-0 at halftime! WOW

The link on HU website is showing game live.
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

4-0, just seconds into the 2nd half!
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

Thank you for saying it's free, which is how it should be for the postseason. https://www.bigtenplus.com/en-int/playerpage/1077678 is the link. They have a great option when you open it of going to live or the beginning. Most streams don't let you start from the beginning, or you can start from the beginning but have to cover the screen to avoid the current score.

Ryan Carmichael scored 2:48 in. Nobody would have expected Hofstra to score that soon and keep the lead, but hopefully that will happen. Francesco Perinelli scored 23 seconds into the second half according to https://gopsusports.com/sidearmstats/ms ... pe=Scoring but the clock stopped 26 seconds in. That made it 4-0. Hendrik Hebbeker scored the second goal, and Matthew Vowinkel scored the third goal. Penn State and Pittsburgh, who we face if we hold on, both use SIDEARM Live Stats, which I do not like as much as StatBroadcast that all CAA teams use.

Seeded teams are 6-1 so far. The other two seeded teams in progress are winning, so the current scores would make seeded teams go 8-2, and 6 games haven't started yet. The last game starts at 9:00 P.M. and is St. John's at 1 seed Oregon State. 16 seed New Hampshire proved they deserved a seed with a 4-1 win over North Carolina. Pittsburgh easily beat Northern Illinois 5-2, so Hofstra could spend consecutive weekends in western Pennsylvania. I am assuming, Wake Forest, who was unseeded and is in progress against 13 seed Florida International (FIU), is seeded above us because they faced a worse seed. In that case, we cannot host a game unless we beat Penn State and Pittsburgh, and Villanova comes back from down 2-0 at Notre Dame and beats FIU or Wake Forest.

Edit: Roc Carles scored twice to go up 6-0. We were the only team to score 4 in the First Round, and we are the first and hopefully only team to score 6 in the Second Round.

Edit: Hebbeker scored to make it 7-0. The bottom line of my screen shows the score from the statistics window I have open and told me the seventh goal before the video showed it, which is a risk with online streaming. If you watch a sport with frequently scoring like either gender basketball on Flo, and you want the statistics open at the same time, you need to make the video take up the entire screen, only check statistics during timeouts, and don't look for too long or else the statistics will tell you what happened when play resumed before you can see it.

Edit: https://gopsusports.com/sidearmstats/ms ... s;period=F has team statistics. The bottom line has "goals allowed" and "shots faced," which are redundant because they come from "goals" and "shots on goal" that are above. Shots are 15 to 7, and shots on goal are 10 to 2. Penn State has 1 more corner kick, 4 to 3, and there are 9 fouls each.
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

We are destroying the 12 seed Nittany Lions 7-0!

Richie, call off the dogs!

Update 8-0...THIS WIN COULD BE HISTORIC!
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

Holger Maaloe scored. Many goals were from in front of the goal. I wonder when the last time (if ever) a team led an NCAA Tournament game 8-0 with 11 or fewer shots on goal. Penn State had a bunch of corner kicks to lead them 8 to 4.

Edit: Penn State scored to lose 8-2. An announcer said:
"The best kept secret in college soccer has been let out of the bag."

I wonder if Pittsburgh is scared.

If we beat Pittsburgh, 1 seed Oregon State beats St. John's and 16 seed New Hampshire, and 3 seed Georgetown beats Providence, we will be the only Quarterfinalist for the northeast, which I define as north of D.C. up to New England. The eleven states Connecticut, Delaware, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, and Vermont have about 20 percent of the country's population.
Last edited by EvanJ on Sun Nov 21, 2021 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

Whoever runs the Penn State men’s soccer account is a little bitter

https://twitter.com/PennStateMSOC/statu ... 46316?s=20
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

I bet Penn State wishes we were seeded.

Shots were 18 to 15, shots on goal were 11 to 7, and Penn State had more corner kicks, 11 to 4. They don't have possession percentages in college.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

This is Richard Nuthalls best team ever at Hofstra. The quality and depth of this team has shown in the tounament. the first 5 goals in this game were scored by 5 different players. The team really enjoys playing for Richard and his staff and are unselfish. The strength of this team I believe is their midfield the unsung heros.
RollPride15

Post by RollPride15 »

Now that's a statement win! Really makes the selection committee look foolish for not seeding us -- we were at 10th in Massey Rating BEFORE today's win, Penn St was 21st.

No chance Pittsburgh will be caught off-guard after that one. Pitt has maybe the best offense in the country, should be fun.
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

HUGE win for Hofstra. Congratulations to Coach Nuttall, his staff and the team.

At the end of the game, the PA announcer proclaimed the final score as "Penn State 2, Hofstra 8." Don't you usually lead with the winning team?

EDIT: Penn State's goalie played the entire match.

Here's are some links:

Highlights:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q1iyAA7RDYM

Final Seconds:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Srpx2yZcoEM

Coach Nuttall Comments:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AQqv32BjHMQ
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

Who says we don't get any love from Newsday? There's a 200-word story on newsday.com:

"Hofstra men's soccer routs Penn State to advance in NCAA Tournament"

https://www.newsday.com/sports/college/ ... 1.50430033
Polito

Post by Polito »

This is A W E S O M E !!!!! Huge congrats to Coach Nuttall and the entire HU mens soccer team / program! Sweet 16, holy cow, that is BIG TIME!

First time ever, correct?? And is this the first athletic team to make a Sweet 16 in anything?? What was Men's Lax top year? I know a different setup / number of teams, just curious how to compare.

Feeling greedy, how far can this group go?!?!?
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

No limit if they continue to play to their potential like I said before they can play with any team in the tournament
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Pretty sure Mens lax made it to the elite 8
HofstraPride1

Post by HofstraPride1 »

This was a historic win on so many levels and one of biggest in any Hofstra sport! Huge congrats to Richard and his staff, who have been knocking on the door for awhile and finally were able to push through this fall.
cactus
Site Admin

Post by cactus »

Impressive win, they've got my attention with that one

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

Hope this next match will be on TV.