University of Hartford

Discussions about the rest of the college sports world
ProudofPride

University of Hartford

Post by ProudofPride »

Voted today to transition from D1 to D3, looks like it’s pretty much official, after the school files the intent with the NCAA.
I understand why, but feel for the student athletes there. I grew up fairly close the school and attended many athletics events there.
Wags

Re: University of Hartford

Post by Wags »

They made it official tonight. Sucks, as Hartford's MBB just reached the NCAA tourney for the first time this year.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

That will leave the America East with only public schools. The Hartford area still has a major in Connecticut and a mid-major in Central Connecticut State.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

With Hartford now gone What is keeping Northeastern in the CAA Could NU be looking to change conference I know the patriot would be their first choice but they would be blocked by BU Could they be looking to go back to the AE or possibly the A-10
Wags

Post by Wags »

stuball888 wrote:With Hartford now gone What is keeping Northeastern in the CAA Could NU be looking to change conference I know the patriot would be their first choice but they would be blocked by BU Could they be looking to go back to the AE or possibly the A-10
I don't see why they would want to, at least in terms of men's basketball - they've played in five of the past nine CAA title games, winning two, losing one in OT.
HofstraPride1

Post by HofstraPride1 »

I don't see Hartford move in any way impacts Northeastern possibly leaving CAA and as Wags said no reason for them to want to leave given all the success unless they want better geographic fit. As far as who America East replaces Hartford with my best guesses would be Central Connecticut State or Sacred Heart if they want another CT school. On separate note, I feel sick for Hartford alums and hope somehow this move gets reversed, perhaps if team makes March Madness again next year and wins a game.
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

HofstraPride1 wrote:I don't see Hartford move in any way impacts Northeastern possibly leaving CAA and as Wags said no reason for them to want to leave given all the success unless they want better geographic fit. As far as who America East replaces Hartford with my best guesses would be Central Connecticut State or Sacred Heart if they want another CT school. On separate note, I feel sick for Hartford alums and hope somehow this move gets reversed, perhaps if team makes March Madness again next year and wins a game.
My guess would be University of New Haven, which has just started the process to become division 1.
HofstraPride1

Post by HofstraPride1 »

ProudofPride wrote:
HofstraPride1 wrote:I don't see Hartford move in any way impacts Northeastern possibly leaving CAA and as Wags said no reason for them to want to leave given all the success unless they want better geographic fit. As far as who America East replaces Hartford with my best guesses would be Central Connecticut State or Sacred Heart if they want another CT school. On separate note, I feel sick for Hartford alums and hope somehow this move gets reversed, perhaps if team makes March Madness again next year and wins a game.
My guess would be University of New Haven, which has just started the process to become division 1.
I didn't realize that. Yes New Haven would also make sense then either for America East or Northeast Conference.
HofstraHockey

Post by HofstraHockey »

Wags wrote:
stuball888 wrote:With Hartford now gone What is keeping Northeastern in the CAA Could NU be looking to change conference I know the patriot would be their first choice but they would be blocked by BU Could they be looking to go back to the AE or possibly the A-10
I don't see why they would want to, at least in terms of men's basketball - they've played in five of the past nine CAA title games, winning two, losing one in OT.
Travel, for one. That, and many of the AE teams are Hockey East (which is by far their #1 sport) rivals of theirs as well (Maine, Vermont, New Hampshire, UMass Lowell).