Transfers and Other Player News

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
cactus
Site Admin

Re: Transfers and Other Player News

Post by cactus »

Thought there would be more continuity with speedy (and even more with Mike who wouldn't have brought in this many transfers) but the new transfer rules change a lot of things - these are late decisions so it's not because of the choice of speedy, it's because speedy is bringing in all these guys who are now immediately eligible and playing time looks scarce. And they can go and play right away somewhere else.

Green is a tough loss, but Carlos and Cramer staying and Ray returning is the continuity that really matters, assuming Kante would have left regardless of who the coach was.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Captain wrote:More changes coming!
My reliable source tells me that in addition to Kante, Masic, Schutte leaving, Coburn and Trueheart done, that Zion, Green and Omar are leaving as well.
It's just a unique time in college basketball. Sounds like we need all the guards we brought in. Wonder if Estrada is immediately eligible.
That's all I heard.
OK so if all this plays out we now have 10 recruits with only 9 of those scholarships counting towards the 13 we're allowed to have leaving 4 scholarships still left to offer. Having Kante leave to play pro ball hurts but would have been more stinging if he was transferring. Zion Bethea with all the time he missed due to injuries and the death of his father is unfortunate. You have to wish him the best of luck moving forward but honestly his potential impact here is hard to determine. Omar has been such a Jekyll and Hyde player that with all the new recruits here his playing time probably would have been minimal. I actually once thought he would be a starter on this team. Green came here with a lot of promise and at times he had his moments but at other times was almost invisible. I'm a little shocked over his departure but with Dubar now here it also seems that Green wouldn't be getting substantial minutes. I like to feel that we're loyal to the players that we recruit but by the same token this is a business on an amateur level and the bottom line is about winning. This doesn't come as a surprise to most of us nor does it come a surprise to the coaching staff. The team will be in a better place once all the smoke clears and maybe these players will also be in a better position as well. Let's see how this coaching staff responds to the challenge of reeling in some post players clearly we have a lot of guards and may at times be playing with a 4 guard offense.
joeg1

Post by joeg1 »

One thing with Kante...he probably saw the writing on the wall that he was not an nba big, but could make good money overseas, so why not start that asap. Again, he will forever go down in Hofstra lore as a champion, and for that, thank you, and godspeed.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

This basketball landscape is different than any in history. Frankly was not that impressed with Green and his propensity to chuck up threes. Bethel who knows...Silverado good riddance.

The key here is the departure of Isaac but I respect him and his decision.

Best of luck to him and his family/career decision.
maske

Post by maske »

Dear basketball and HOFSTRA fans,
As the order dictates, I will comment on the decision for Vukasin to leave Hofstra.
It was a strange year, caused by covid 19 and therefore unfortunately for Hofstra it was not successful.
The decision to change Vukasin's college was not simple, and it was made before the coach was changed.
If he had known that, he would probably have stayed, because SPEEDY was the one who brought him in some way.
What was crucial was that the position he was told would play and that is position 1 and position 2, and which recommended him to high school games, was not achieved but he was constantly playing at 3.
In a conversation at the end of the season, now with the former coach, he was told that nothing will change and that he will continue to stay at 3 in the new season.
V ukašin has never played 3, neither in the Red Star nor in the national team. It is, as you know, a position that means getting balls and shooting. That is an impossible mission in Hofstra. You know who is in charge of shooting in Hofstra and such a game did not suit him, nor did the people who take care of him, that is, his basketball maturation.
He decided to change the environment and received a firm guarantee that he would play 1 and 2 for a minimum of 25-30 minutes.
And that is that
Believe me, he did not make this decision easily.
Hofstra and the people around her accepted him nicely, but as Polito said, it happens. As a father, I supported his decision, he is mature enough to take the decision.
I know you won’t all agree with his thoughts and decisions, I know some are happy too, but in a situation where all the seniors stay on the team, his role would be minor, and waiting another year to win might not really gain in importance .
I hope you understood me, especially him.
If you allow me, I will go to this forum and follow Hofstra and the fight for the best results.
I thank you all for your kind words for my son, and I wish you all personal success in life.
STAY HEALTHY
Zoran Masic
cactus
Site Admin

Post by cactus »

maske wrote:Dear basketball and HOFSTRA fans,
As the order dictates, I will comment on the decision for Vukasin to leave Hofstra.
It was a strange year, caused by covid 19 and therefore unfortunately for Hofstra it was not successful.
The decision to change Vukasin's college was not simple, and it was made before the coach was changed.
If he had known that, he would probably have stayed, because SPEEDY was the one who brought him in some way.
What was crucial was that the position he was told would play and that is position 1 and position 2, and which recommended him to high school games, was not achieved but he was constantly playing at 3.
In a conversation at the end of the season, now with the former coach, he was told that nothing will change and that he will continue to stay at 3 in the new season.
V ukašin has never played 3, neither in the Red Star nor in the national team. It is, as you know, a position that means getting balls and shooting. That is an impossible mission in Hofstra. You know who is in charge of shooting in Hofstra and such a game did not suit him, nor did the people who take care of him, that is, his basketball maturation.
He decided to change the environment and received a firm guarantee that he would play 1 and 2 for a minimum of 25-30 minutes.
And that is that
Hofstra and the people around her accepted him nicely, but as Polito said, it happens. As a father, I supported his decision, he is mature enough to take the decision.
I know you won’t all agree with his thoughts and decisions, I know some are happy too, but in a situation where all the seniors stay on the team, his role would be minor, and waiting another year to win might not really gain in importance .
If you allow me, I will go to this forum and follow Hofstra and the fight for the best results.
I thank you all for your kind words for my son, and I wish you all personal success in life.
STAY HEALTHY
Zoran Masic

Thanks Zoran - I hope Vukasin ends up happy with his decision and wish him the best in the future.
The Shadow

Post by The Shadow »

Thanks Zoran, Good Luck to Vukasin at Maine. It must have been a difficult decision for a young man to make. You are always very welcome here on the HU boards. All the best to you and your family.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Thanks Zoran only the best for Vuskasin. You are always welcome here. Yes it was a tough decision but I am sure he will be happy playing for Maine. Hofstra used to play Maine when we were in the America East conference. If your son has a chance tell him to reach out to Andy Bedard. He was Maines point guard who had classic battles with Speedy Claxton. I am sure he will be a big help to your son. Also wish your wife a Happy Mothers Day from everyone on this board.
maske

Post by maske »

Thank you for your kind wishes to Vukasin and my family. It's nice to know that somewhere far away,
there are people who are united by a love of basketball
you're wonderful
Mikey77

Post by Mikey77 »

Zoran - I lived in Maine for a year and have visited often. The winter's in Orono can be tough, but you and you family need to visit Camden, Acadia National Park, Baxter State Park, and of course Pat's Pizza (an Orono mainstay for generations). UMaine is a great place and I hope you and your son enjoy his time there. Go Black Bears!
maske

Post by maske »

Oh yes, my plan was to see a BIG APPLE, but the damn CORONE ruined everything.
I hope to jump to you and Maine this year or next and see how it is with your
Hofstra

Post by Hofstra »

Not shocked to see Omar and Zion leave, but I would have rather Green gave us another year. TBH though, we saw this with Larry Brown at SMU. Once he took over, Bernardi was on the first flight back to Staten Island. Sometimes kids just dont fit the future, and he was a decent player for us, so I guess we benefited.

Hopefully with all the incoming kids, we can really prosper in the CAA. We NEED a big man though.
Wags

Post by Wags »

maske wrote:Dear basketball and HOFSTRA fans,
And that is that
STAY HEALTHY
Zoran Masic
We understand the decision, Zoran. Vukasin has to do what's best for him and his development. We'll continue to wish him the best in that regard and thank you for your continued support of Hofstra Basketball. Look forward to seeing you on this board as we go forward with the new era under Speedy. And feel free to use this space to talk about Vukasin and Maine as well. All the best to you and Vukasin!
HofstraMathew

Post by HofstraMathew »

Polito wrote:lol so where are all of you who SWORE we HAD to have Speedy or Mike for consistency :lol: going to be an entirely new team, staff and players - the exact same thing we would e had with a seasoned stud HC - now we have a first timer running a team with a zillion transfers
I definitely get what you are saying here with posters on the boards but I doubt continuity of players was a consideration at all in who to hire. At the end of the day its recruiting that does the most to win championships and from someone outside the program it looks like speedy has had his hand in recruiting the majority of our top players over the last few years. Now he can do that as the head coach. Plus after he was hired you had Larry Brown, Popovic and Jay Wright all release statements congratulating him; how many other candidates would have something similar? In my opinion no one can recruit to Hofstra better then someone who came here and then turned it into a long NBA career playing for top tier coaches and winning a championship. How could a recruit tell Speedy its not possible to do big things after going to Hofstra when they are staring right at someone that has done that?

Also the main players/recruits you wanted to keep were Ray, Cramer, Kante and Carlos. Speedy kept 3 of the 4 and the 4th isn't transferring but leaving college basketball.
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

HofstraMathew wrote:
Polito wrote:lol so where are all of you who SWORE we HAD to have Speedy or Mike for consistency :lol: going to be an entirely new team, staff and players - the exact same thing we would e had with a seasoned stud HC - now we have a first timer running a team with a zillion transfers
I definitely get what you are saying here with posters on the boards but I doubt continuity of players was a consideration at all in who to hire. At the end of the day its recruiting that does the most to win championships and from someone outside the program it looks like speedy has had his hand in recruiting the majority of our top players over the last few years. Now he can do that as the head coach. Plus after he was hired you had Larry Brown, Popovic and Jay Wright all release statements congratulating him; how many other candidates would have something similar? In my opinion no one can recruit to Hofstra better then someone who came here and then turned it into a long NBA career playing for top tier coaches and winning a championship. How could a recruit tell Speedy its not possible to do big things after going to Hofstra when they are staring right at someone that has done that?

Also the main players/recruits you wanted to keep were Ray, Cramer, Kante and Carlos. Speedy kept 3 of the 4 and the 4th isn't transferring but leaving college basketball.
Exactly.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

So if you had to play a basketball game today with just the players we have who would be your starting 5 and who would be coming off the bench first?? We only have one post player so that would have to be Simmons at the 5 really a PF, Cramer at the 4, Dubar 3, Ray 2(this is a no brainer obviously) and Cooks at the the 1. Who comes off the bench IDK??
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Burgess is your 6th man
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

Now that this roster is coming into focus it is critical that we land at least two big guys. Would like to see a transfer who could play right away and then a freshman whop could develop if that term is apprpriate in the game anymore.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Yeah it's BIG GUY focus time and how about the kid from South Carolina Perry at 6'9 really a PF and has at least 11 other offers. This is going to be a real challenge and lets see who they can get in here. Only if all else fails do I want a one and done kid here. Lets get a transfer who will be here at least 2 years preferably more.
Cards

Post by Cards »

Anyone know anything about DeAndre Wilkins transferring out of Wagner. He's a 6'11" 235 lb 4-star player. He is listed as a soph.

Kinda shocked that Wagner could even land a kid like this. He got almost no minutes at Wagner. Anyone know the scoop on him??