MBB Recruits 2021

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
stuball888

Re: MBB Recruits 2021

Post by stuball888 »

He is what we call a scorer Not a shooter 40 percent overall and 33 percent beyond the arc
Pride97

Post by Pride97 »

Guess i was wrong maybe Speedy can do it by himself :lol:

Two recruits in under 24 hours. We were all hoping for some staff and got two players instead! Well done Speedy!
Polito

Post by Polito »

Holy smokes, back to back big time gets!! Hello points! This kid can ball, a prolific scorer at all levels - aggressive, quick, confident, fearless, attacks the basket, and finishes in contact - draws fouls, creates his own space / shots, steals, and will instantly be the best ball handler on the team - handle is fantastic - lead the ASUN in scoring a year ago, I'll take that all day, this is a huge pickup to compliment Ray

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DFeEL7FjS6I
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NKD_CWe2qMA

This stud isn't coming here to come off the bench, so not sure how this roster is going to shake out, but with Ray, Burgess, and Cooks, with Silverio and Carlos, I'm feeling fantastic at G - secure Kante to return and this club can cut nets with the right staff.

Which speaking of, 2 commits in the bag that fast and I have to be thinking the staff is in place... as frustrating as it's been timing-wise, I'm betting announcement comes soon. These kind of kids aren't coming to a ?, dare I say I'm excited and feeling like HU hoops is ready to elevate?!? Let's see who Speedy pulled in from the coaching ranks - if he can match the quality level of the recruits, I just may get so excited I may even start watching lax again :lol:
Cards

Post by Cards »

Polito wrote:Holy smokes, back to back big time gets!! Hello points! This kid can ball, a prolific scorer at all levels - aggressive, quick, confident, fearless, attacks the basket, and finishes in contact - draws fouls, creates his own space / shots, steals, and will instantly be the best ball handler on the team - handle is fantastic - lead the ASUN in scoring a year ago, I'll take that all day, this is a huge pickup to compliment Ray

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DFeEL7FjS6I
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NKD_CWe2qMA

This stud isn't coming here to come off the bench, so not sure how this roster is going to shake out, but with Ray, Burgess, and Cooks, with Silverio and Carlos, I'm feeling fantastic at G - secure Kante to return and this club can cut nets with the right staff.

Which speaking of, 2 commits in the bag that fast and I have to be thinking the staff is in place... as frustrating as it's been timing-wise, I'm betting announcement comes soon. These kind of kids aren't coming to a ?, dare I say I'm excited and feeling like HU hoops is ready to elevate?!? Let's see who Speedy pulled in from the coaching ranks - if he can match the quality level of the recruits, I just may get so excited I may even start watching lax again :lol:
Hey Polito - no doubt we landed a guy who clearly has "the dog". Plays like he will do anything to NOT lose. I love it!
Captain

Post by Captain »

This kid is really fast and can take some contact. The video reminds me of video I have seen of Jaquan Carlos.
We have some super dynamic guards suiting up for us in the fall. With Speedy at the helm it looks like in guards we trust on steroids! We have the bodies to play man defense and to press like crazy. I am psyched!
daHUPride

Post by daHUPride »

FINALLY

WOW that is a good one.

Nice Job Speedy
daHUPride

Post by daHUPride »

RollPride15 wrote:Big talent add. My only concern is that he isn't a truly proven shooter, something this roster still needs. But he can def play PF, feels like some kind of wing rotation of Cramer/Green/Dubar is pretty well set for the 3/4 spots, don't need to prioritize more depth there, especially when you consider how young they all are.

I keep saying this but give Cramer a couple minutes at the 5 in the right matchup and see what happens. His vertical will allow him to still bully guys and wreak havoc.

If Speedy's rotations are anywhere close to Joe's, we really just need 1 big and 1 redshirt type longterm prospect and I feel good.
Interesting - Speedy said more man to man D/ more pressing D - Cramer; Dunbar; Ray; Burress and Carlos - thrown out there causing havoc for a few minutes a game - fast athletic - sounds a bit like what Villanova does once in a while - undersized mismatches
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Yeah I think now that we see who's being recruited HERE this appears to be all part of the Speedy BLUEPRINT. In YOUR FACE DEFENSE, full court press maybe VCU or IONA style causing turnovers and fast breaking uptempo offense looking to capitalize off those turnovers. I really like that kind of basketball and to play man to man in your face D we're going to need to have bodies in case guys get into foul trouble and with all the guards we now have we should be able to implement this style of play. We do have quick guards with Burgess and the addition of Carlos and Cooks. I think as has been mentioned both Carlos and Cooks play a similar type game and put pressure on the D with their penetration. Excited to see this go to fruition!
Polito

Post by Polito »

yep tc, and after initial concerns, I am LOVING it all. I have been clamoring for more intensity, more swagger, more in your face dog for literally years - the entire JM era. We have great talent, and great kids, but I have felt they were missing the edge necessary to build a legacy, achieve relative dominance in a weak league, and go DANCING.

Speedy is speaking my language, just needs to execute it.

Two other things:

In no way shape or form do I want Cramer at the 5. Seems like we go through this every year around here, lol, crazy ideas about moving guys w/out the proper skill set to that position. That will completely negate Cramers biggest strength, his athleticism to collapse and destroy a defense. I don't want that stud with his back to the basket, I want him attacking it from every angle on the floor.

Re Dubar, he is not a PF. He is a WF. There is a difference. He can certainly play the 4 in spats, but he is more of a guard-ish forward than a power forward, and this is very evident in his game. He is a bigger taller Coburn (yeehaw!). He won't shoot the 3 as well yet, but he is a more experienced 3 shooter than Cramer. Having him / Green at the 3, Cramer at the 4, and Kante at the 5 with HU's guard group is a deadly group.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

One thing we should mention here about Cooks even though he wasn't dishing assists which could have been more of a reflection on who was around him he was second on the team in rebounding. At 5'9" that speaks volumes getting 5.1 rebounds a game and an incredible 2.3 steals a game good for top 15 in the country. With Cooks playing next to Ray both proven scorers this will get our wings open looks it totally changes our offense and the way teams will have to defend us. I can't wait to see this evolve on the floor.
Polito

Post by Polito »

We don't need assists, we need buckets. And that's what this buck will bring. 8-) Plays like he's 6'4. Get him on the floor and score score score!
Mikey77

Post by Mikey77 »

What's the story with Trueheart? Is he coming back? Always thought he had more to contribute and sometimes 5th year guys really take off. Buie is probably the best evidence of that.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Mikey77 wrote:What's the story with Trueheart? Is he coming back? Always thought he had more to contribute and sometimes 5th year guys really take off. Buie is probably the best evidence of that.
Stafford did redshirt his true freshman year so that would be six!
HofstraMathew

Post by HofstraMathew »

https://twitter.com/1amalejandro/status ... 27142?s=21

Looks like a transfer from st Bonny.
Cards

Post by Cards »

HofstraMathew wrote:https://twitter.com/1amalejandro/status ... 27142?s=21

Looks like a transfer from st Bonny.
WOW = never expected we'd be getting another PG (with multiple years left to play). 6"3" 200 lbs - looks like a strong kid.

Played about 14 mpg with the bonnies. Shot better from three (34%) than from two (28%) - interesting. He's from Queens, so he's coming home.

WIthout any other surprises, HU has only only one scholarship left - has to be for a backup big.

I don't think any of the new transfers are coming here expecting to get less playing time then they had at previous schools. Maybe Speedy's style will be to play a large rotation from the roster and just run, run, run and play Wichita State Shocker type defense. That would be lots of fun to watch!
HofstraMathew

Post by HofstraMathew »

I think we have 2 scholarships left as ray doesn’t count towards the 13. And that is assuming kante is staying.
RollPride15

Post by RollPride15 »

Hard to see where the time comes from but I guess we'll see. Lot of guards, can easily imagine more of a 3-guard rotation where our "small forward" is 6'3.
daHUPride

Post by daHUPride »

RollPride15 wrote:Hard to see where the time comes from but I guess we'll see. Lot of guards, can easily imagine more of a 3-guard rotation where our "small forward" is 6'3.
Again assuming Kante is staying -
If I am Kante, Cramer and/or Green - I ain't going anywhere - talk about playing time to be had

that said - it is interesting what Speedy is selling these recruits - it must be based on guys playing with confidence and developing a full court style of play and the offensive freedom to make their own plays - I think most guards would LOVE that
fiftiespride

Post by fiftiespride »

I wasn't familiar with Cooks or Dunbar but the more homework I have done the more excited I have become. I will be surprised if both don't start, see significant minutes and shine for us. However another guard that can't shoot is a puzzler. It would seem we will already need to redshirt 1 or 2, although one never knows what is going on behind the scenes. Any one hearing anything about a 5 or our last staff addition?
HU87

Post by HU87 »

Yeah I wonder if this one signals that we have more guards transferring out than we might be aware of?