Coaching search

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
HofstraPride1

Re: Coaching search

Post by HofstraPride1 »

Speedy said in WRHU interview after remarks that he would hire a former head coach to his staff. Would not b shocked at all if it ends up being Pecora. He also mentioned that his first NBA coach Larry Brown called him this week and he will be attending some practices.
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

I think Roy Williams would join the Hofstra staff before TP returned.

Sean Miller is available. :)
daHUPride

Post by daHUPride »

HofstraPride1 wrote:Speedy said in WRHU interview after remarks that he would hire a former head coach to his staff. Would not b shocked at all if it ends up being Pecora. He also mentioned that his first NBA coach Larry Brown called him this week and he will be attending some practices.
Speedy started off playing for Jay Wright, Larry Brown and Greg Popovich - three pretty decent coaches in Basketball History.
HofstraPride1

Post by HofstraPride1 »

Jojogunne wrote:I think Roy Williams would join the Hofstra staff before TP returned.

Sean Miller is available. :)
Pecora very close to Speedy though and owes his career to him so wouldn't rule it out.
joeg1

Post by joeg1 »

Pecora came back for Jay Wright's hof induction...not like a Yogi Berra deal going on.

Better commute for him.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

So do you think sHofstra will oay Pecora 250k to come back Dream on
Polito

Post by Polito »

HP1 that is some great info to hear, thanks for sharing! Again, I'm warming up to this, if he can put together a killer staff this could be a very lucky home run - and I say lucky because HU had no plan whatsoever and is beyond lucky that Speedy is even here to rely on.

The national attention and his incredible contacts is a tremendous boost, really hoping to see this pan out big time.

Love the former HC goal, I think it's a must - I'd take a guy like TP back in the assistant ranks all day long. He belongs in NY, and he's an HU guy all the way, and can recruit like a boss. Those two could be deadly together. But is he the guy that can reel in the post talent and coach them up? Mostly a guards guy - really need the bigs coach.

And who is going to coach DEFENSE?? I don't recall being overly impressed with TP in that area either. But maybe he could bring Kevin Marfo with him (talented QU forward that I'm pretty sure HU also recruited that led the nation in rebounding in '20 at 13+ per).

Would supposed candidate Jim Ferry be down to come onboard as an associate? That could be very big as well, real strong offensive mind.... but again of course, where's the D come from?

Some exciting potential here at least - let's see...
Jordan

Post by Jordan »

A lot of what I will say has already been said, but have just been having lots of thoughts/feelings since hearing the announcement. Ultimately, I am happy that they stayed within the program and didn't go with an outside hire. Mihalich has developed a cohesive squad and reputable program. There would have been no reason to mess with that (especially given the talent of the coaching staff that did help lead a CAA victory).

I really was shocked to hear that it wasn't Farrelly. I thought for being thrown into the head coaching job, he performed well. Was it an amazing season? No, but I would not expect much from most coaches in that situation. Plus, throwing in wins like Richmond and ending off 13-10 is not a bad way to start off. Farrelly seems to have a real mind for basketball too. He is always straightforward about it in the pre-game and post-game press conferences and is ultimately a standup guy. Kind, professional, and seemed to care about Hofstra deeply. Really do feel for him and wish the administration went about it in a better way (as aforementioned: giving him the interim job, conducting a "national search," and then giving it to the guy below him). But, I guess when these unexpected situations arise, there's no "right way" to go about it. Definitely will miss Farrelly and hope he lands somewhere well.

In terms of Speedy, after watching the press conference, I really am happy for him. He bleeds blue and yellow and seemed so grateful for the opportunity. As has said, the recruiting, fan attendance, guard development, and potential assistant coaches could be huge plusses. And as Wags had noted, he's been an assistant for a while now; I am sure he picked up some things along the way. Also, let's not discount Speedy like he doesn't know basketball. His resume as a player speaks for itself and six years as an assistant earns him credibility for sure.

I will also say that this was probably the only chance they would have had to hire Speedy as the head coach. If they went with Farrelly he could have been the head coach for ten years (assuming he did well). Would Speedy stick around for 16 years as an assistant? Probably not. Look, no one is owed a job as a head coach, of course, but just with any school, colleges love to keep around and boast about their icons. I think either way, Speedy or Farrelly, it would have been a slap in the face to someone.

Overall, I am excited going forward and can't wait to cheer him on back at the Mack.
cactus
Site Admin

Post by cactus »

Polito wrote:HP1 that is some great info to hear, thanks for sharing! Again, I'm warming up to this, if he can put together a killer staff this could be a very lucky home run - and I say lucky because HU had no plan whatsoever and is beyond lucky that Speedy is even here to rely on.

The national attention and his incredible contacts is a tremendous boost, really hoping to see this pan out big time.

Love the former HC goal, I think it's a must - I'd take a guy like TP back in the assistant ranks all day long. He belongs in NY, and he's an HU guy all the way, and can recruit like a boss. Those two could be deadly together. But is he the guy that can reel in the post talent and coach them up? Mostly a guards guy - really need the bigs coach.

And who is going to coach DEFENSE?? I don't recall being overly impressed with TP in that area either. But maybe he could bring Kevin Marfo with him (talented QU forward that I'm pretty sure HU also recruited that led the nation in rebounding in '20 at 13+ per).

Would supposed candidate Jim Ferry be down to come onboard as an associate? That could be very big as well, real strong offensive mind.... but again of course, where's the D come from?

Some exciting potential here at least - let's see...
Pecora's teams always played tough d, dove for loose balls, etc. His coaching of offense however only consisted of him yelling "move"

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
Captain

Post by Captain »

The news I heard was Speedy gets the job,and an experienced former head coach will be fis bench coach.
There is a nice safe landing in Mike Farrelly's future I was told. This is where JM's loyalty to his guys comes in. I am sure he holds MF in the highest regard.
If I am right, when you see where he lands and with whom, I think you will agree.
joeg1

Post by joeg1 »

Opening for an assistant at Nova. Maybe Farrelly will get it

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

I bet thats it If Mike lands at Villanova good for him
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

Pechora is making $350 k at Quinnipiac and did not leave Hofstra on great terms.

I would love to have him back but I highly doubt it’s happening.
Captain

Post by Captain »

The connection between Villanova and Niagara is definitely part of it but not Nova
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

Captain wrote:The connection between Villanova and Niagara is definitely part of it but not Nova
Fordham, under Kyle Neptune?
Captain

Post by Captain »

That’s what I heard.
Hofstra

Post by Hofstra »

HofstraPride1 wrote:Speedy said in WRHU interview after remarks that he would hire a former head coach to his staff. Would not b shocked at all if it ends up being Pecora. He also mentioned that his first NBA coach Larry Brown called him this week and he will be attending some practices.
Love Larry Brown. Would be nice to see him around the arena. When he got to SMU, he sent Bernardi out the doors. LOL. Brown is a mastermind coach. Hope he sticks around the program and holds to his word with the practices.
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

Here is the "press conference" we missed today. Most of the questions people asked have already been reported, including the phone call with Larry Brown. At the end, Speedy says that the first call he made after his introduction was to a recruit. Already on the job!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GLAxaZIwNRg
The Shadow

Post by The Shadow »

To Jojogunne, Thanks for posting the link to the press conference. I will admit I had a few questions about this hire. After listening to Coach Speedy speak, they are all answered. I am now all in 100%! Hell yes, bring back the late 1990's early 2000 Coach Wright style, up tempo and "You're going to feel us." Those teams were tough in all aspects of the game. After watching HU in 2020-21, I felt that toughness was missing in some games. I want a coach who feels about HU the same way we do. To have HOF coaches, both from college and the pros, as a resource is just great. I am sure Speedy will be a big success. I believe this will be the time to build on the foundations that Coach Joe has set. I say, Congratulations to Coach Speedy, and also to AD Cole,Jr.
Edit: There is a very good article about Coach Speedy on The Daly Dose of Hoops website.
Last edited by The Shadow on Fri Apr 09, 2021 10:27 am, edited 2 times in total.
HofstraPride1

Post by HofstraPride1 »

https://twitter.com/HofstraMBB/status/1 ... 96841?s=20

Speedy will be on WFAN just after the 11:40 a.m. update with Moose and Maggie