2021 Men's Lacrosse

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
Mikey77

Re: 2021 Men's Lacrosse

Post by Mikey77 »

Well that ends it. I cannot remember a Hofstra defense this porous and out-of-sync. What's going on there? It looks clueless.
Mikey77

Post by Mikey77 »

Seems like I'm the only one on this board. Shows you how much the program has fallen. This game was never really in doubt mid-way through the 2nd quarter. We lose to a UMass team missing two of its better players. No, Lufti or Ardsley today at all I think. Those guys were pretty good players last year. I have no idea what's going on with the defense which is perpetually awful against schools that take lax seriously. And, I have no idea whatsoever where this program is going at all - especially post-Ryan Tierney. If anybody has a clue, please fill me in.
HofstraPride1

Post by HofstraPride1 »

Mikey77 wrote:Seems like I'm the only one on this board. Shows you how much the program has fallen. This game was never really in doubt mid-way through the 2nd quarter. We lose to a UMass team missing two of its better players. No, Lufti or Ardsley today at all I think. Those guys were pretty good players last year. I have no idea what's going on with the defense which is perpetually awful against schools that take lax seriously. And, I have no idea whatsoever where this program is going at all - especially post-Ryan Tierney. If anybody has a clue, please fill me in.
Very frustrating to see defense revert back to its early season struggles. They need to improve big time if we want any hope of winning a CAA title.
Hofstra

Post by Hofstra »

Mikey77 wrote:Seems like I'm the only one on this board. Shows you how much the program has fallen. This game was never really in doubt mid-way through the 2nd quarter. We lose to a UMass team missing two of its better players. No, Lufti or Ardsley today at all I think. Those guys were pretty good players last year. I have no idea what's going on with the defense which is perpetually awful against schools that take lax seriously. And, I have no idea whatsoever where this program is going at all - especially post-Ryan Tierney. If anybody has a clue, please fill me in.
Mikey, I hear ya. I gave up on this team early on, again. There is no fire with the lax team. Hasnt been in years. Its always the same stuff, diff. season.
fiftiespride

Post by fiftiespride »

While hope springs eternal, patience doesn't. Like Mikey, while hopeful, I was sure we would lose even when we drew to within 5-4. Good teams are structurally sound. People are in the right position to deny outlet passes, challenge and slow transitions, deny penetration. Our defense is passive and does none of those things effectively. Seth is a top flight person and lacrosse is in the Tierney DNA but it is the same old stuff, just a different season. Better recruiting would help. Come on guys, get it together.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

With the shot clock the games has changed to a more offensive game. Coaches like John Danowski love this as it plays right into his coaching style. I see Seth as a more defensive coach like his uncle. Problem now is coaches have to adjust. I thought I saw this after the SBU game but this team does not seem to have the studs on defense or at long stick middie No one on the team reminds me of Brian Spallina or Nicky Polanco
Dutchflid

Post by Dutchflid »

stuball888 wrote:With the shot clock the games has changed to a more offensive game. Coaches like John Danowski love this as it plays right into his coaching style. I see Seth as a more defensive coach like his uncle. Problem now is coaches have to adjust. I thought I saw this after the SBU game but this team does not seem to have the studs on defense or at long stick middie No one on the team reminds me of Brian Spallina or Nicky Polanco
I think comparing ST to Danowski is comparing apples to oranges. While John Danowski is a great person and quality coach he could not recruit the kind of players to Hofstra as he can to Duke (Matt Danowski would be example one). I believe coach Tierney gets the most out of his players but he does not have the depth to compete at the elite level. When a starter goes down he is replaced with a good player but not with another HS AA, Hofstra just does not have that kind of depth. There is not a coach in college lacrosse that can get a kid to come to Hofstra when they are also being recruited by Ivy, Big10, ACC or even Patriot teams.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

He did recruit Doug Shanahan
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

I am not comparing the Dino at Duke but Dino at Hofstra
Dutchflid

Post by Dutchflid »

comparing Danowski to ST -
Danowski 21 years 60% win - 8 NCAA appearances 4-11 record
Tierney 13 years 57 % win - 4 NCAA appearances 0-4 record

While the numbers show that Danowski has slightly better numbers I do not believe he had nearly the competition for players that Tierney -

Their was no St John's for most of the Danowski era and no LIU, Stony Brook was the only local D1 competition while ST has to recruit against SJU, SBU and now LIU for local players as well as Big10 schools now being in an elite conference.

All I am trying to say is that Danowski was a good coach for 21 years and only became a great coach when he went to Durham.
Polito

Post by Polito »

Uh no. Though I appreciate what you are sharing, this is very skewed Dutchflid. Do me a favor, now go back and compare SOS between these two. HU was a top 15 big dog under JD, playing and BEATING other true big dogs. There is NO comparison between these two, to even suggest they are close is comical. C'mon, you know better :D

Danowski was a GREAT coach, which is why he was hired away by DUKE. ST isn't in the same universe, and has ZERO top tier programs chasing him for that reason. JD was not perfect, his knock was he couldn't get deep in the NCAAT - and that was fair, he had loads of talent, and simply failed too often on the big stage.

But at least that man GOT to the big stage. ST's program is a joke. And there is NO excuse for it. HU lax is irrelevant, an afterthought, and can't even win it's own conf anymore. It's pitiful. Been completely blown by. Not all ST's fault, def not, HU's admin should be ashamed and embarrassed how little they care. But the fact you are trying to say it's tough to out-recruit St Johns and LIU while JD was outdoing the true bigs is all I need to know about these 2 coaches.

You don't think HU can or should be expected to win talent over the Patriot league?? Stop it lol. We don't need anymore excuses than have already been doled out around here like halloween candy. Yes, of course, the game has changed, I definitely understand what you are saying - no denying that. Busting your chops a bit. But c'mon, this program is nowhere near what it should be even in a changed environment, and you know it.

As far as this year, I mean, what did anyone expect? It's as predictable as the sun. Cut ties and move on. Once again Joe Amplo's newest program is ahead of HU. HIRE THAT MAN - WHATEVER IT TAKES

But nah, that's too wild and crazy for Hofstra, let's just keep on keeping on. I won't hold my breathe that HU will have the nads or the vision to be bold and elevate our most important athletic programs. We'll just keep on playing the almost game, and be giddy about just being included in the sport :roll: :lol:
Hofstra

Post by Hofstra »

Nice win today. I am sure they will blow the next game though unfortunately. We cant have nice things
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

Enjoy the win!
HofstraPride1

Post by HofstraPride1 »

Dutchflid wrote:comparing Danowski to ST -
Danowski 21 years 60% win - 8 NCAA appearances 4-11 record
Tierney 13 years 57 % win - 4 NCAA appearances 0-4 record

While the numbers show that Danowski has slightly better numbers I do not believe he had nearly the competition for players that Tierney -

Their was no St John's for most of the Danowski era and no LIU, Stony Brook was the only local D1 competition while ST has to recruit against SJU, SBU and now LIU for local players as well as Big10 schools now being in an elite conference.

All I am trying to say is that Danowski was a good coach for 21 years and only became a great coach when he went to Durham.
Danowski also coached when there was only 12 teams that made NCAAs until his final four seasons and would have made a ton more NCAAs if field was 16. He also got snubbed in 1998 and 2002 and that 2002 team may have been his best.
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

Polito wrote:Uh no. Though I appreciate what you are sharing, this is very skewed Dutchflid. Do me a favor, now go back and compare SOS between these two. HU was a top 15 big dog under JD, playing and BEATING other true big dogs. There is NO comparison between these two, to even suggest they are close is comical. C'mon, you know better :D

Danowski was a GREAT coach, which is why he was hired away by DUKE. ST isn't in the same universe, and has ZERO top tier programs chasing him for that reason. JD was not perfect, his knock was he couldn't get deep in the NCAAT - and that was fair, he had loads of talent, and simply failed too often on the big stage.

But at least that man GOT to the big stage. ST's program is a joke. And there is NO excuse for it. HU lax is irrelevant, an afterthought, and can't even win it's own conf anymore. It's pitiful. Been completely blown by. Not all ST's fault, def not, HU's admin should be ashamed and embarrassed how little they care. But the fact you are trying to say it's tough to out-recruit St Johns and LIU while JD was outdoing the true bigs is all I need to know about these 2 coaches.

You don't think HU can or should be expected to win talent over the Patriot league?? Stop it lol. We don't need anymore excuses than have already been doled out around here like halloween candy. Yes, of course, the game has changed, I definitely understand what you are saying - no denying that. Busting your chops a bit. But c'mon, this program is nowhere near what it should be even in a changed environment, and you know it.

As far as this year, I mean, what did anyone expect? It's as predictable as the sun. Cut ties and move on. Once again Joe Amplo's newest program is ahead of HU. HIRE THAT MAN - WHATEVER IT TAKES

But nah, that's too wild and crazy for Hofstra, let's just keep on keeping on. I won't hold my breathe that HU will have the nads or the vision to be bold and elevate our most important athletic programs. We'll just keep on playing the almost game, and be giddy about just being included in the sport :roll: :lol:
Polito you know I LOVE YOU BUT HOW CAN YOU CALL A TOP 20 PROGRAM IRRELEVANT?????

The sport has changed so much since Danowski, shot clock, many more top tier teams etc.

Let's play this season out and see where wew land.

I for one really enjoy watch this team play and Ryan Tierney is unbeleievable! That ESPN top ten shot the other day was AWESOME! And got us on national tv!
Dutchflid

Post by Dutchflid »

The Dutch Lax Serenity Prayer:

Polito, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change (league, Location, tuition, coaching)

the courage to change the things I can (not much on the Flying Dutchman Fans Forum)

and the wisdom to know the difference.!!!!

I understand and appreciate your points, but their is no miracle worker out there. ( Jeff Tambroni was a great coach last year and this year not so much) In my heart I believe that all things being equal, if Hofstra was in the Big10 and ST was the head coach Hofstra would be a perennial top 10 / NCAA playoff team.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Guys correct me if I am wrong Last time Hofstra was in the NCAA tournament was 2011 as an at large we were 11-3 that season Lost to Delaware twice one was the CAA championship game then lost in first round to Hopkins 12-5 This is now going on 10 years Did Dino have a 10 year period between NCAA appearances
HofstraPride1

Post by HofstraPride1 »

stuball888 wrote:Guys correct me if I am wrong Last time Hofstra was in the NCAA tournament was 2011 as an at large we were 11-3 that season Lost to Delaware twice one was the CAA championship game then lost in first round to Hopkins 12-5 This is now going on 10 years Did Dino have a 10 year period between NCAA appearances
You are correct although we were 13-2 not 11-3 in regular season with both losses to Delaware. Dino never had that long a drought. He made NCAAs in his eighty season as coach (1993) and then made it six times after that in 1996, 1997, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2003 and 2006 and he got snubbed of bids in 1998 and 2002. Also was 12 team tourney through 2002 and would have probably made it a few more times if field was 16 his entire career at Hofstra. Granted was less schools who fully invested in sport back then, but there is no comparison in coaching resumes.
fiftiespride

Post by fiftiespride »

The 2002 snub was perhaps the most egregious injustice for any school in any sport. I looked at the brackets and was disappointed we hadn't received 1 of the 4 seeds; when I couldn't find us in the field, I simply could not believe it. We had beaten teams like Duke, UNC and Notre Dame by 5 to 10 goals and were playing our best lacrosse at the end. We may well have been the best team in the country; it was really outrageous.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

That was Paul Raos last year with us. He didnt use his last year of eligibility as he went into the NYPD. We beat Duke 14-6 and UNC 12-7. that UNC game was one of the best games I have ever been to. I agree it was Dinos best team ever.