Coaching search

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
RollPride15

Re: Coaching search

Post by RollPride15 »

Winthrop's Pat Kelsey is going to CofC...really legit hire for CofC and hopefully something that can bolster the conference (though not at the cost of our success)!
Polito

Post by Polito »

That's a great hire, and exactly how HU should be thinking. A proven HC with coaching experience at both major and mid major programs, tons of success on small budget, with NCAAT pedigree HU only dreams about running a program that's probably better and more well known than the entire CAA at the moment.

And half of you are freaking out like we have to retain the current staff. No vision, and small goals. NCAAT folks. THAT is what matters. More of the same is not needed here. ELEVATE. If that is with the current group, fine, I don't care who it is, but I am VERY skeptical they will achieve that based on history.
Who are they going to bring in that will sign better talent than Cramer, Kante, and Carlos? AND keep everyone here while the rest of the league struggles with defections? The CAA is not a good league, I don't care who the coach is, it's going to be very hard to recruit.

I also don't understand this being some kind of golden opportunity, I would expect Farrelly to get a 3 year deal. Barring the new transfer rule/injuries changing things considerably, they'll be in the mix, if not the favorite in the CAA, those 3 years. They were the favorite this year because of their talent despite losing 2 guys who played in the G league this year. Pair Farrelly and Speedy with another defensive mind as assistant with these kids and they already have the potential to dominate the CAA.

Yeesh, cactus we are brethren always, but this post goes against everything I believe in. Filled with fear, and a bar set at being in contention. Sorry, I just can't get down with this thinking. This is a HUGE opportunity, change always is, and fearing change is the worst way to handle it. It's inevitable, find the window of opportunity! This is a chance for HU to take the NEXT step, not the same exact ones it's taken for the last several years.

HU is not dominating this conf. That was the hope and dream for YEARS. Hasn't happened, and will not happen under the current regime. This is a good staff, a good program, but it is not a dominant one. And this group has proven they will not be - they will be in the mix, and might actually win it once a decade. It took 8 years to get to the dance with this group. With some of, if not THE best recruiting in the league. I'm sorry but that's not good enough.

And you want more of the same? I want more of the winning absolutely, but I want finishing. HU's HC salary is the top of the conf - sorry but you gotta produce champs for that. Being top 3 every year is not, should not be, and cannot be satisfactory guys. C'mon, let's level up a bit here in our mentality.

You don't think any other coach or staff can succeed and recruit at HU at a top level? So HU should just lock itself up for the next umpteen years because it will never get better?? That mindset makes my skin crawl cactus lol. There are PLENTY of coaches and staffs who can do just well and even better, but we have to have some vision. Some commitment, some expectations, all this fear mongering is not helpful at all.

I pray the HU admin doesn't think this way, or we are sunk. Now is there a chance HU and Cole screw this up? YEP. THAT is the biggest concern I have - not the change, that's a huge opportunity, it's HU's ability to manage the change the right way. And make the big boy moves. This is a monster moment for Cole.

I love our guys, I do, Mike Speedy Colin, these are great guys and they are good at what they do. But please don't act like HU can never do better - that's just ridiculous. They can do worse, and they can do better. Which it will be, well that's the million dollar question right now.

I'm just as nervous as you are, but for a very different reason - this program can succeed at an even higher level with the right approach and leadership. Super market, super recruiting footbed, super rep for pro guards, super rep for being a program that leads quality men, etc. And I DO agree with you on one key thing: the CAA is a joke, this conf stinks, and is very easy to win. THAT is exactly my point. HU has failed on that front too often. THAT'S the opportunity - it's time to break that door down. Not happening with the same group IMO.

If HU retains them, I will support 100%. But if you think they're going to all of a sudden start cutting nets every other year, you are in for a letdown. We've already seen what they will do. It's good. But it's not great. Call me crazy, but I want more because this program is finally primed for more. We owe this current staff for that, no question. But very seldom can the same group that got you to that point be the group that leads you past it.
fiftiespride

Post by fiftiespride »

AMEN!
Polito

Post by Polito »

Quick follow up:

1) cactus, wanted to be sure to say nothing but love to ya man! Hope the passion wasn't too harsh, my apologies if so, I can let it get too heavy at times lol, so just a humble shout out to ya! :)

2) Stu, we do not need any mid major assistants - this program is very worthy of a current HC, or the top assistant at a major program. If HU grabs from a Vermont, it better be to take their HC. This program is PLENTY good enough for that - we need to raise our standards here. This isn't the HU of the 90's. This program has some pedigree, is in a killer location, has excellent facilities at this level, and oddly enough pays quite well for a mid major. This hire is the biggest in HU athletics as this is the flagship sport (with mens lax 2nd) - we need to treat it that way.

3) Neptune is intriguing and checks a lot of boxes, could be a very exciting hire - he's young but not inexperienced, the top guy at one of the true class champion programs, has tremendous ncaat experience, is a local BK guy, has been with JM and HU in the past, has learned from one of the best in the biz and has his trust, is a recruiter, a respected guy in the game, brings diversity, and carries no drama. Don't know him personally, so obviously his ability to carry himself as the 'CEO' really matters and has to be determined, but if Jay and JM approved, then I would trust that sign-off completely.

The only thing he doesn't check really is HC experience. That gives me a little pause, but isn't necessarily a deal-breaker, as mentioned with the right people signing off on him - would really love a guy who's proven it, but this could be his chance to do so.

4) anyone have any info?? Crickets out there, while smoke at other programs, and others that have already hired - it's nutty that CofC has been able to land a TOP guy to replace Grant in shorter time - HU drives me crazy sometimes, they always seem to be behind - let's go Cole, this isn't a surprise, JM has been out of commission literally ALL season, you should've had a list ready to go and just shoot right down it. An AD should ALWAYS have a running pipeline for all sports staff, even when things are great - this is part of the job. HU feels like they are just now getting this going. Hopefully that's just my misconception, but it would be nice to hear some movement on things. No clue if anyone has even been interviewed yet and what stage we are in the process...

Not looking for them to rush, but I am hopeful they've at least been well prepared for this and it's just a matter of the interview process taking time.
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

Polito, you know you will not hear ANYTHING out of HU...it's like the vatican when then decide on a Pope...You need to wait until you see the smoke rising from the MACK!
Seriously, I'm the powers that be are doing their diligence, have not heard of any search firms being hired this time Thank-God!
Mikey77

Post by Mikey77 »

If we didn't hear a word about the new president (which looks to me to be a solid choice) until it was done, I doubt we'll hear anything about the new men's basketball coach. And, when we do there will days of laudatory self-congratulation. Stand back and stand by. Wait, that sound's familiar? Who said that?
dutchalum01

Coaching search

Post by dutchalum01 »

Polito wrote:Can't even begin to express how disheartened I am to see the fearful posts being made here - where is the excitement for an opportunity to take this program to the next level??

I'm not saying I want the staff blown up, but good grief can we at least explore better options? What in the world are you all trying to hold on to?

Some of you actually want this 'national search' to be a dog and pony show of BS just to hire Farrelly?? What the heck is going on here? Can we toughen up a bit and raise our standards please - can we actually make moves to start WINNING championships and go dancing?? Sheez guys, have you gotten that soft and weak that you are now comfortable sitting at home watching other mid majors every friggin March??

Can we please stop using Welsh as an excuse to never make a bold move ever again in the history of Hofstra? I mean c'mon guys it's been a DECADE, let it go. So now we can't ever take a calculated chance again to elevate? How the hell are we ever going to improve? And by the way, never heard a peep from all those 'high risk' kids at Iona. I did however see them in the NCAAT.

Certainly taking a risk with Pitino is something most programs would not have done, for good reason - but can we at least think a little outside the box? At least that school has a pair and puts it's money where it's mouth is because they actually will do what it takes to win. They didn't miss a beat because they didn't allow themselves to, didn't accept good enough, didn't think well shoot we had our run, nope they went out and made a business decision. And low and behold it worked. Crazy how that happens.

This staff, even WITH Joe, has shown little ability to win the league. You're impressed with 1 NCAAT and a couple of NITs (one of which should've been a dance) and zero wins in any of them? And a whole lot of choking along the way? Holy cow... Meanwhile the Ionas, Vermonts, Winthrops, and countless others are blowing on by. For them NOT making it is shock. For us it's friggin miracle. I thought we all wanted better, pretty disappointing.

Hey I love Cramer and Carlos and all the great players they have recruited. I don't want to lose them or that great recruiting. But guys, where are the berths? When is it going to pay off on a reasonable basis? And no, 20 years is not reasonable, it's ridiculous. Does no good having the talent to then finish 3rd or 4th all the time, not interested.

You guys only want 'stability' (of what, being home every march?) and going the cheap and easy route?? GGAAGGHH - this makes my skin crawl.

If this 'national search' turns out to be a fake act, I'm done. That doesn't mean we can't name Farrelly the guy, I've already said I can handle giving him a chance... BUT he better be the BEST true option after having exhausted ALL others. Not just because HU has no vision or commitment. I'll support Farrelly, IF --> IF <-- he is truly the best choice among all of the amazing options that are out there. And there are a LOT.
Well said and agree 100%. The last time we were in the tournament I was a student at Hofstra. If you told me we could blow this program up to be in the tournament in 3 years from now, sign me up, it’s already been 20.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sctvman

Post by Sctvman »

Polito

Post by Polito »

And mission impossible continues for Fordham... I think Neptune would've been MUCH better off at a program like HU. This is a brutal gig. Many a good coach has gone there for their career to die. They keep pretending they belong in the A10, but we all know they really don't. Been since '92 for their last dance - that's insane in a multi-bid league. There's a reason for it, and I don't think it's because every coach since then have all arrived qualified and then magically sucked.

Anyhoo, can't knock em for continuing the ol college try - who knows, perhaps Neptune may have the right touch, but we'll see.

Meanwhile, in Hempstead, a potentially great candidate gone... and nothing but a whole lotta mystery happening.
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

Polito wrote:And mission impossible continues for Fordham... I think Neptune would've been MUCH better off at a program like HU. This is a brutal gig. Many a good coach has gone there for their career to die. They keep pretending they belong in the A10, but we all know they really don't. Been since '92 for their last dance - that's insane in a multi-bid league. There's a reason for it, and I don't think it's because every coach since then have all arrived qualified and then magically sucked.

Anyhoo, can't knock em for continuing the ol college try - who knows, perhaps Neptune may have the right touch, but we'll see.

Meanwhile, in Hempstead, a potentially great candidate gone... and nothing but a whole lotta mystery happening.
Neptune is commiting career suicide by going to Fordham...you heard it here first unless they finally wake up over there and go back to the Patriot Leauge.
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

dutchalum01 wrote:
Polito wrote:Can't even begin to express how disheartened I am to see the fearful posts being made here - where is the excitement for an opportunity to take this program to the next level??

I'm not saying I want the staff blown up, but good grief can we at least explore better options? What in the world are you all trying to hold on to?

Some of you actually want this 'national search' to be a dog and pony show of BS just to hire Farrelly?? What the heck is going on here? Can we toughen up a bit and raise our standards please - can we actually make moves to start WINNING championships and go dancing?? Sheez guys, have you gotten that soft and weak that you are now comfortable sitting at home watching other mid majors every friggin March??

Can we please stop using Welsh as an excuse to never make a bold move ever again in the history of Hofstra? I mean c'mon guys it's been a DECADE, let it go. So now we can't ever take a calculated chance again to elevate? How the hell are we ever going to improve? And by the way, never heard a peep from all those 'high risk' kids at Iona. I did however see them in the NCAAT.

Certainly taking a risk with Pitino is something most programs would not have done, for good reason - but can we at least think a little outside the box? At least that school has a pair and puts it's money where it's mouth is because they actually will do what it takes to win. They didn't miss a beat because they didn't allow themselves to, didn't accept good enough, didn't think well shoot we had our run, nope they went out and made a business decision. And low and behold it worked. Crazy how that happens.

This staff, even WITH Joe, has shown little ability to win the league. You're impressed with 1 NCAAT and a couple of NITs (one of which should've been a dance) and zero wins in any of them? And a whole lot of choking along the way? Holy cow... Meanwhile the Ionas, Vermonts, Winthrops, and countless others are blowing on by. For them NOT making it is shock. For us it's friggin miracle. I thought we all wanted better, pretty disappointing.

Hey I love Cramer and Carlos and all the great players they have recruited. I don't want to lose them or that great recruiting. But guys, where are the berths? When is it going to pay off on a reasonable basis? And no, 20 years is not reasonable, it's ridiculous. Does no good having the talent to then finish 3rd or 4th all the time, not interested.

You guys only want 'stability' (of what, being home every march?) and going the cheap and easy route?? GGAAGGHH - this makes my skin crawl.

If this 'national search' turns out to be a fake act, I'm done. That doesn't mean we can't name Farrelly the guy, I've already said I can handle giving him a chance... BUT he better be the BEST true option after having exhausted ALL others. Not just because HU has no vision or commitment. I'll support Farrelly, IF --> IF <-- he is truly the best choice among all of the amazing options that are out there. And there are a LOT.
Well said and agree 100%. The last time we were in the tournament I was a student at Hofstra. If you told me we could blow this program up to be in the tournament in 3 years from now, sign me up, it’s already been 20.

Or you can blow it up and wait another 20 years to get respectable again.
dutchalum01

Post by dutchalum01 »

HUSID80 wrote:
dutchalum01 wrote:

Or you can blow it up and wait another 20 years to get respectable again.
I don’t buy that for a minute. You invest in the right coaches now, you’ll be rewarded sooner than later. We thankfully have an AD that I think gets it, we also have a new President coming in from a couple programs that invest in athletics. Rutgers is a good example - in under 5 years they’ve completely revamped that program with a new AD and a new coach. I don’t want to play it safe when we have an opportunity to land a qualified coach. If that means Grasso with Farrelly and Speedy, I’d love that situation, is it likely, probably not. We need to seize this opportunity and not settle if something clearly better than status quo presents itself. I’m tired of screaming at my TV from over here in Minnesota every year we miss out. Image

stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Let me throw another name out there Ritchie McKay Head coach at Liberty who was associate head coach under Tony Bennett at Virginia for 6 years He is 55 and i think the wright fit if we can pry him away from liberty
Polito

Post by Polito »

Exactly 01, thank you. This notion that the only outcome from change is a 20 year drought really needs to stop - c'mon, that's silly. Countless programs have proven that when you make the right hire you actually succeed faster than waiting around hoping that you'll get there by staying stagnant.

Complacency is really dangerous. And by the way, 'respectable' is not the goal. Unless you love 'almost' 'so close' and saying 'maybe next year' every season. It is just a step along the path to being great. I think we are losing sight of that - we need to stop saying it could be worse like below average programs do, and start shooting to excel like what NCAAT programs do. This program is PRIMED for the next step. But we have to make moves, it's not going to just come by accident or being afraid to drive forward.

The fear is palpable around here. Guys, this isn't the HU from 30 years ago. Acting like a deer in headlights and staying frozen is not going to help. A great coach once guided me past a sticking point by saying 'you've got a firm grip on an empty sack'. Wise words.

We actually have some winning pedigree now and a foundation to BUILD BIGGER, we can and should shoot high.
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

Pls see below.
Last edited by HUSID80 on Tue Mar 30, 2021 8:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

Ok Polito and Dutchalum the notion of not hiring Farrelly has NOTHING to do with compacency. IMO Farrelly, Speedy and an enhanced staff is the WAY TO GO in my opinion.

This program has been built from the ground up over the past seven years and is poised to have a great run.

Why would you want to change that at this point?

None of you can tell me that there is some superstar coach waiting in the wings.

NOBODY knows who has applied/been recruited for this position except for Farrelly and Speedy....can anybody?
HofstraPride1

Post by HofstraPride1 »

HUSID80 wrote:Ok Polito and Dutchalum the notion of not hiring Farrelly has NOTHING to do with compacency. IMO Farrelly, Speedy and an enhanced staff is the WAY TO GO in my opinion.

This program has been built from the ground up over the past seven years and is poised to have a great run.

Why would you want to change that at this point?

None of you can tell me that there is some superstar coach waiting in the wings.

NOBODY knows who has applied/been recruited for this position except for Farrelly and Speedy....can anybody?
I couldn't agree more. Absent Jay Wright's clone no coach is worth blowing up our roster.
cactus
Site Admin

Post by cactus »

Polito wrote:Quick follow up:
1) cactus, wanted to be sure to say nothing but love to ya man! Hope the passion wasn't too harsh, my apologies if so, I can let it get too heavy at times lol, so just a humble shout out to ya! :)
I'm sure you know my position that Hofstra could use a lot more passionate fans like you. However, I just don't agree with you at all here. And it's not coming from a position of fear, it's coming from the success of this staff with recruiting, developing, and keeping talent in a mediocre mid-major conference. Aiming higher is great, but this is still the CAA. Under Joe Mike and Speedy they've had the best continuous flow of talent over a period of time that Hofstra has ever seen. Multiple conference POYs and 3 guys that just played in the G league. It is very doubtful that someone coming in can start over and recruit significantly better than what we've seen from this staff.

Certainly you can argue that they eschew defense when recruiting and don't coach defense well, which is why they don't win and go to NCAA tournaments to the level that their talent dictates, and that is a very fair criticism of this staff.

But they've already built a team that's the most talented in the CAA right now, and proven they can keep talent when entering a new phase of defections of top players to higher conferences due to the new transfer rules. So even if a new staff does recruit higher level talent, they'd have to keep those guys from going to higher conferences who can now leave without sitting out.

Farrelly should get a 3 year deal to prove himself worthy of running the program. The talent is here, he has no excuses. The program is in very good shape, and Joe is still here for support. Give him a defensive specialist as an assistant to fix what hasn't worked. No tournaments in 3 years and then you blow it up. Heck, maybe you have to blow it up because Farrelly himself takes a higher level job. There will be plenty of hot coaches and assistants available in 2 years, 3 years, 4 years, 5 years, whatever, and probably more than what's available now.
RollPride15

Post by RollPride15 »

My concern is that Farrelly is not Joe...just because Farrelly was on Joe's staff doesn't mean he can continue Joe's success. However, I do trust the hiring committee to make the right decision and not be clouded by their ties to the current staff. If Farrelly ends up being the guy, I will assume that is because he truly was the best candidate.
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

Not sure if you all heard it but Fordham's President McShane introduced Neptune as "Our New FOOTBALL Coach" at the Rams presser....can't make this stuff up!