2021 CAA Men’s Basketball Tournament

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
Dooku25

Re: 2021 CAA Men’s Basketball Tournament

Post by Dooku25 »

Biggest question of the off-season, is Coach Mihalich returning?

Outside of the Richmond game, the team played below expectations this season.

The staff never figured out how to stop big runs by opponents all year and it happened again tonight. One thing about Joe, he pulled guys from the game right away or called timeout immediately if he didn't like what he was seeing out there. Coach F might be a fine assistant, but left a lot to be desired as HC unfortunately. The team was often flat this year also and tonight was frankly an embarrassing effort especially as a defending champ who missed out on playing in the big dance last year vs an 8 seed playing its third game in 3 days. Elon clearly wanted it more and it was painful to watch. Not a good look for this staff.

Right now I think we have so many question marks as a program. What's our HC situation? Are Ray and Coburn coming back? Are any of the younger guys going to be good players?

At the end of the day this was just another disappointing end to our season, a feeling we know all too much. It's unfortunate the program didn't get what they deserved last year and now it's back to the drawing board it seems. I just hope its not the start of another 19 year drought.
Wags

Post by Wags »

I don’t want to hear anymore about how “grueling” it is to win three in three days. Way too much is made of that each year.

Last year, Hofstra won the championship playing 3 in 3, basically without a bench.

Tonight, the team that played more regularly towed the end of the regular season, playing a third straight day, by far, had more energy and badly outworked the team playing for the second time in two days after a three-week layoff. The coach of the former said his team had great energy. The coach of the latter said his team was a half-step slow all night. Maybe it’s the team you are, not how many games you’re playing in how many days.
Last edited by Wags on Mon Mar 08, 2021 11:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hofstra

Post by Hofstra »

We were so lost out there tonight. Looking around, not hustling. It was brutal to watch that crap. Like Dooku said above, this season minus the Richmond game, was gross. This team underperformed in every facet.

I know this loss sucks, but this season sucked in general.
Wags

Post by Wags »

6 vs. 8 in the CAA finals - Drexel vs. Elon

That guarantees the ninth different champion in the past 11 years of the CAA tournament.
Wags

Post by Wags »

Might sound strange but I don't think either Drexel nor Elon would've gone to the finals as top-four seeds this year. I think they each had to use the snowballing hunger, confidence and momentum that underdogs capture in special ways this time of year to fuel their respective runs to the CAA finals.

In Elon's case, those qualities overcame Hofstra's desire to win not only for themselves, but for Desure, Eli, Connor and Joe after what happened last year. And maybe that put a little too much pressure on Hofstra whereas underdogs playing with the above qualities can play freer and looser this time of year.

If Elon beats Drexel, they'll go to the NCAA tourney with as many CAA regular-season wins as CAA tourney wins this year.
joeg1

Post by joeg1 »

Wags wrote:Might sound strange but I don't think either Drexel nor Elon would've gone to the finals as top-four seeds this year. I think they each had to use the snowballing hunger, confidence and momentum that underdogs capture in special ways this time of year to fuel their respective runs to the CAA finals.

In Elon's case, those qualities overcame Hofstra's desire to win not only for themselves, but for Desure, Eli, Connor and Joe after what happened last year. And maybe that put a little too much pressure on Hofstra whereas underdogs playing with the above qualities can play freer and looser this time of year.
I'm willing to write the end of this season off as "it is what it is." There were a lot of variables beyond their control, and they did the best they could, including the coach.

Frankly, what irks me is the lack of information about the well being of our head coach. Is Joe coming back? I want to be sympathetic, but I think the program owes its supporters a little more than it has provided. Do you think this cone of silence would fly at a big time program? Of course not.

Obviously there is something wrong. What about the future? Any successful organization has to have a contingency plan. I pray he is going to be ok, but the program is bigger than Joe Mihalich. What is going on?

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
Wags

Post by Wags »

The key 19-3 Elon run, which turned Hofstra's biggest lead of the game (39-33) into a 52-42 Elon lead included 13 of Elon's 21 second-chance points in the game.

There was a media timeout at 39-39, but Hofstra itself didn't call timeout until after that 19-3 was over. After the first few second-chance points, especially after 8-0, Elon in second-chance points in the first half, you have to call timeout and set things straight in the huddle. You can't let that get to 13 second-chance points in that stretch and go down 10 before you call timeout. To me, that stretch was the game more than the 21-4 close after it was 55-54.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

There is so much finger pointing and playing the blame game going on and yes I thought the timeout was too little too late. I think even the players were looking for a timeout to be called thru that ugly stretch and were amazed it wasn't called. Mike ran out of cards to play and he himself was out of options I feel. We all had seen this script before whether it was JWF against the opposing team or like yesterday Jalen against all of Elon. If that was our best game plan we get what we deserved and that's in fact what we got a close game became a bad loss in a matter of minutes. Our dreams became shattered rather quickly and we all had to face reality. It doesn't matter so much the numerous reasons why we lost. We got outplayed they were the better team tonight and why not leave it there.

I don't like people calling the season a failure and maybe it was in the perspective of when you don't win the championship you haven't accomplished what your ultimate goal was. We replaced our two leading scorers(seniors) with a red shirt freshman who hadn't played basketball in three years and a sophomore PG who played very little in his freshman year. Kudos to Caleb for a very gritty game and making big plays during very big moments. I look at this year as successful in my own eyes and just to get to the semi-finals knowing the adversity and what we had to replace with an interim coach all speaks positive volumes. I personally thank the staff and the players for giving us an exciting year of basketball when we all had doubts whether it would even come to fruition. Thanks for all the personal sacrifice/hard work and after seeing Mike break up during the post presser really felt for him and what he went thru. I was very touched on how emotional he got. Yes a bitter pill to swallow but thanks for getting us there to experience the moment. I enjoyed the ride!!
Dooku25

Post by Dooku25 »

So the path to the big dance ended up being Delaware, Elon and Drexel. This was a golden opportunity squandered.

The 19-3 run and then 21-4 run to close the game were simply inexcusable. But as I previously stated, this happened all year with this staff so it shouldn't be surprising.

Against FDU they went almost 10 minutes without scoring, led to a 20 point swing. Against Stony Brook they almost squandered a 23 pt lead. SB closed the game on like a 20-2 run. Against St Bonnie's I think they opened the game down 30-7. The lack of urgency last night was also disheartening but that also occured early in the year. Against Iona, you could tell early which team wanted it more. Pitino exposed Farrelly's inexperience big time. They made no adjustments against Iona, who was the much hungrier team like Elon last night. All of these games could have been learning experiences for them, but unfortunately they got exposed again last night.

Coach F is a good coach, I think he knows the league well and is a hard worker. But if he wants to a be a real HC one day he should watch a guy like Tom Thibodeau and how he coaches his players every possession every game. How he uses his timeouts to change momentum and stop runs.

We had too many situations this year where the team looked like they were going through the motions and nothing was being done to change it. There were too many disappearing acts from guys like Tareq Coburn. As a coach it's your job to get the most out of your players. I think Coburn is an extremely talented player. Needed more consistency and aggression out of him. That's on the staff just as much as it's on the player.

Maybe losing your HC and 2 guys who are currently playing in the NBA G League was too much to overcome this season. But athletics is a results based business and the reality is the league wasn't very good this year and we underperformed big time. HU could have easily been champs again. You have to call it what it was. A blown opportunity.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Dooku don't use that word easily so easily because nothing is easy in this league I'm merely pointing out we should emphasize the positives here and just look at the glass being half full. That's all!
Polito

Post by Polito »

Didn't bother posting last night because it was disgusting to watch. Embarrassing "effort" to honor Joe. Didn't bother to finish watching either, killed it at about 3 and half minutes. Didn't watch the next game, won't watch tonight, and don't give a rip about the dance.

Yep, I'm dramatic :P But you know what, I don't mind losing, but I can't stand losing because of half ass play and foolish game plans / in-game management. This was not even close to an appropriate effort for a nationally televised game, a defending champion, a team with an incredible story and what SHOULD have been highly emotionally driven approach to honor their hurting HC.

Looking lethargic, tired, lost, clueless, uninspired, and worst of all, DEFEATED all game is fully unacceptable. I think you can rest easy knowing no one is being poached away after that. I just hope Carlos and Griffin stay in the boat after what I saw. Glass half full my rear, the path was paved with gold for them - this conf was very easy to win this year, where was the benefit of playing the most? Of having championship experience? Just a pitiful job.

Blown opportunity is an understatement. I'm not even going to dive in any further because I don't want to say anything disrespectful to any specific players or the staff. Embarrassed and disgusted, I'll leave it at that.

One NCAAT qualification in 2 decades is pitiful. And of course HU got screwed out of even that. This program is brutal to root for sometimes, constantly choking and wasting away it's talent. Lord help us for the next 20 years. I hope I get to see this program actually play an NCAAT game in my friggin lifetime. I'll come off the ledge eventually, and of course will punish myself yet again watching this team next season because who the hell knows why, my loyalty and hope and prayer trumps the routine pain lolol. But for now, I'm shot.
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

Very disappointing end to a very difficult year for all involved...
I beleive Farrelly did a pretty good job given the hand he was dealt with Joe's illness, COVID, etc. Not an easy way to come in as a head coach. You can say all you want about lack of effeort/energy and that was the coaches fault...not so...
The energy has to come deep down from the players on the court...they need to play their hearts out at all time and it just did not happen...the personality of this team was very differnet than last year...there were NO leaders on this team...not Coburn, not Ray....in the end I saw Burgess trying to get this team going...several times in the Delaware game he pulled everyone together and tried but he's a sophomore.

As for the coaching situation plan on Farrelly being named HC soon this post season. It should be clear by now that Joe will not be coming back unfortunately and we need to make this decision as quickly as possible for the program's sake.

Lots of questions need to be answered on the off-season. Who will stay, use their extra year? Who will leave? Who will we add to the staff when Farrelly moves up? Will we add another new player or two?

I beleive this team should compete for a championship next year....IF Burgess can step up and fill the role of an on-court leader...it's that important.
Wags

Post by Wags »

triplec2195 wrote:There is so much finger pointing and playing the blame game going on and yes I thought the timeout was too little too late. I think even the players were looking for a timeout to be called thru that ugly stretch and were amazed it wasn't called. Mike ran out of cards to play and he himself was out of options I feel.
"Guys, we just talked about this at halftime, when we were up one and Elon led 8-0 in second-chance points. But we're STILL not cleaning that up! BOX OUT, show some heart and some effort, start wanting the ball more than Elon does, REBOUND like you mean it and stop giving up offensive boards or we're going home!!"

Play that card.
Last edited by Wags on Tue Mar 09, 2021 12:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wags

Post by Wags »

Polito wrote:Didn't bother posting last night because it was disgusting to watch. Embarrassing "effort" to honor Joe. Didn't bother to finish watching either, killed it at about 3 and half minutes. Didn't watch the next game, won't watch tonight, and don't give a rip about the dance.
Eli and the Santa Cruz Warriors are playing a G League playoff game at 7 pm tonight on ESPNU as an alternative.
fiftiespride

Post by fiftiespride »

Like Polito, I am so disappointed and disgusted that I am reluctant to share for fear of offending people I like, respect and care about. Our coaches have consistently recruited well and put us in a position to be relevant and with high expectations. They have attracted solid citizens who stay with us and are loyal to the program and motivate them to play hard. The coaches and players they have attracted, invariably represent Hofstra well. But that was a sorry and embarrassing product we put on the floor last night on national tv. I agree largely with Dooku and Polito's comments and feel we underachieved and regressed as the season progressed. Richmond certainly was our best game and I thought we had a lot of solid play against Monmouth and the Bonnies as well. Coming from 30-7 down to being up 66-62 with about 4 left took some doing and showed what we were capable of. I have often felt in recent years that we have under achieved, relying on the individual brilliance and one on one skills of 1 or 2 exceptional players. I have envied teams that develop and use their bench and coordinate well as a team offensively and defensively. This is not easy to achieve so it is not pervasive at the mid major level since those who are able to aachieve it tend to move on to bigger programs. Northeastern is our best example but both of tonights finalists are playing nice cohesive, team ball much of the time.
I know there are privacy laws as well as peoples feelings to respect but you do wonder where to draw the line. It has been 7 months with Joe now. What happened to Masic? There were no updates on Bethea. It does seem the U could be a bit more forthcoming to its supporters.
Mike is a hard worker, straight shooter and good guy and it is hard not to be touched by his post game interview but Polito is right; we don't have to worry about him being poached after that exhibition.
I am grateful that our coaches have put us in a position to be hopeful and to have high expectations year after year. I just wish they could deliver on them more.
HU87

Post by HU87 »

fiftiespride wrote: I am grateful that our coaches have put us in a position to be hopeful and to have high expectations year after year. I just wish they could deliver on them more.
Guys, we won the CAA last year and punched our ticket to the NCAA tournament...
joeg1

Post by joeg1 »

HUSID80 wrote:Very disappointing end to a very difficult year for all involved...
I beleive Farrelly did a pretty good job given the hand he was dealt with Joe's illness, COVID, etc. Not an easy way to come in as a head coach. You can say all you want about lack of effeort/energy and that was the coaches fault...not so...
The energy has to come deep down from the players on the court...they need to play their hearts out at all time and it just did not happen...the personality of this team was very differnet than last year...there were NO leaders on this team...not Coburn, not Ray....in the end I saw Burgess trying to get this team going...several times in the Delaware game he pulled everyone together and tried but he's a sophomore.

As for the coaching situation plan on Farrelly being named HC soon this post season. It should be clear by now that Joe will not be coming back unfortunately and we need to make this decision as quickly as possible for the program's sake.

Lots of questions need to be answered on the off-season. Who will stay, use their extra year? Who will leave? Who will we add to the staff when Farrelly moves up? Will we add another new player or two?

I beleive this team should compete for a championship next year....IF Burgess can step up and fill the role of an on-court leader...it's that important.
I wouldn't be so quick to annoint Farrelly. I'd prefer a more seasoned hc

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
Pride97

Post by Pride97 »

Do we know anything more about Joe or is this speculation based on the little information that we have received? I admit it is frustrating that we haven't heard anything about his status. I'm all for his privacy, but would be great to know if he will be coming back or not. I think we all pray for his health and would like him back if at all possible.

If not, while i agree a more seasoned coach would be helpful, with the way players transfer these days, i think we would have to expect many to leave and be looking at a 4 year rebuild. With next years team of Kante, Cramer, Burgess and J. Carlos, i think we could have a good core. This is assuming the seniors don't come back - if they do its even better. I think if they hire outside the seniors are done and many, if not all, of the core i mentioned leave as well. I really like this staff and players and don't want that to happen. They have been more competitive the past few years than they have been in a while and i would like that to continue. Maybe the answer is bringing in a vet assistant to help out.
maske

Post by maske »

Vukasin did not play because of corona. He came out of isolation the day before the tournament. THANK GOD IT'S GOOD
Wags

Post by Wags »

maske wrote:Vukasin did not play because of corona. He came out of isolation the day before the tournament. THANK GOD IT'S GOOD
Glad he's okay, maske!