Nassau Coliseum

Everything else
ProudofPride

Nassau Coliseum

Post by ProudofPride »

The first sporting event to be held at the renovated Nassau Coliseum will be Kentucky men's basketball. In 2017 there will be a double header featuring national and local teams. Hopefully this will be a good thing for Hofstra.
http://www.newsday.com/long-island/nass ... 1.10082719
http://zagsblog.com/articles/kentucky-t ... m-in-2016/
ProudofPride

Re: Nassau Coliseum

Post by ProudofPride »

This needs to happen. Makes perfect sense.
Adam Zagoria ‏@AdamZagoria
Hofstra is a possible opponent for Kentucky in December 2016 at the Nassau Coliseum, per @ESPNAndyKatz .
https://twitter.com/AdamZagoria/status/ ... 9622155264
HofstraPride1

Post by HofstraPride1 »

That would be incredible, esp. since game will be on national TV. We may get blown out but would still be great exposure for school.
HofstraHockey

Post by HofstraHockey »

This project is really going to be completed in 18 months?
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

HH I question that too. We are talking about Nassau County and the Town of Hempstead. They make Washington look efficient.
HofstraHockey

Post by HofstraHockey »

That being said, college hockey across the street! Woo hoo. One thing the Islanders always did was that if you could sell X number of tickets to a certain game, you got to play on the Coliseum ice after their game for your men's league (I never got to, but countless friends did). I wonder if we could make that happen for this college hockey double-header....
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

HofstraPride1 wrote:That would be incredible, esp. since game will be on national TV. We may get blown out but would still be great exposure for school.
"Kentucky Routs Hofstra, 107-49." Yeah, that will be great exposure.
HofstraPride1

Post by HofstraPride1 »

They would have nothing to lose at all and being on national television would make whatever the result is worth it.
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

This can only be good for Hofstra and college sports on LI...We need to make sure that we are the host school and are involved with any college basketball events held there. I remember many years ago when we played St. John's at the Coliseum and they were the HOME TEAM because they were hosting NCAA Tournament games there....Can't HAPPEN! Only good news on that was that we BEAT THEM! Maybe they should open with Hofstra vs. St John's...
Wags

Post by Wags »

HUSID80 wrote: Maybe they should open with Hofstra vs. St John's
They could, but they want to sell as many tickets as possible.

Sad to admit, but more fringe fans from this area would flock there to see to Kentucky rout Hofstra than see St. John's and Hofstra (which I too, would rather see as the the first game at the new Coliseum).
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

Play a doubleheader HU vs SJU Kentucky vs Jay Wright and Villanova
HofstraHockey

Post by HofstraHockey »

So here's a shock- it's already in litigation. http://www.newsday.com/long-island/nass ... 1.10140045
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Dont be surprised if it takes ten years to get this project done.
HofstraPride1

Post by HofstraPride1 »

I sure hope not Stu!
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

wanted to do some renovations on my gym. It is in year 8 now with all the delays.
HofstraHockey

Post by HofstraHockey »

ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

The Nets are bringing a new D-League team to the Coliseum starting next year.
http://nypost.com/2015/11/05/nets-getti ... -coliseum/
HofstraHockey

Post by HofstraHockey »

HUSID80 wrote:This can only be good for Hofstra and college sports on LI...We need to make sure that we are the host school and are involved with any college basketball events held there. I remember many years ago when we played St. John's at the Coliseum and they were the HOME TEAM because they were hosting NCAA Tournament games there....Can't HAPPEN! Only good news on that was that we BEAT THEM! Maybe they should open with Hofstra vs. St John's...
I don't know who will be the "home" team for this game, but I know that Kentucky gets the majority of the cash. Wouldn't be surprised if it's a Hofstra home game so that Kentucky can get another one at home on their schedule.
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

The Coliseum is a contender to host the MAAC championship. I think it would be a well located neutral site for them, and it could be a good thing for Nassau County. http://www.nycbuckets.com/2015/12/maac- ... -coliseum/

Skimming through some of their boards, they don't want it there. And they still can't figure out why Hofstra isn't in the MAAC. They don't realize how much of a downgrade it would be for us in virtually every other sport but basketball, and we'd lose a lot of our current full-time assistant coaches. Plus, the basketball teams would be forced to play in even more "high school gyms" than they already are. No thank you.
HofstraPride1

Post by HofstraPride1 »

It would be great if Hofstra could get CAA to hold tourney at Coliseum.