Our Offense 13 Games In

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
HU87

Our Offense 13 Games In

Post by HU87 »

13 games in and I think it's time to accept that we may need to take a different approach to our offense to be successful with this roster...

Defense has been better, but we still need to score more efficiently if our aspirations this season is a CAA championship.

Like many on here have said, the 3 pt shooting is a MAJOR concern. Our most recent successful years, going back to 2015/2016, has been with a roster running this offense that has at least 3 players shooting 35% or higher from 3 with a relevant sample size. In our most successful of our successful years (20+ win seasons), it's been an offense with four players shooting over 35%, usually with one or two also above 40%.

2015/2016- Bernardi, Juanya, Ameen, Denton Koon
2018/2019- JWF (over 40%), Coburn (over 40%), Jalen Ray, Pemberton
2019/2020- Buie (over 40%), Jalen (40%), Coburn (39%), Eli (38%)

After 13 games this season, our top 4 3pt shooters:
Coburn- 35%
Ray- 34%
Burgess- 27%
David Green- 20%

Yes, this isn't rocket science or wildly surprising, but it does present the fact that we don't have the horses to run the race we've won in the past. While Ray and Coburn are probably due to start seeing a few more makes than misses, we just don't have the next level shooting we need.

I've seen some adjustments from Coach like running screens and actions within the paint/foul line extended area rather than out at the 3 pt line, but it isn't enough. We're still shooting 22 3's a game and making 27% of them.

Something needs to change in our approach to offense this season... Any ideas?
Pride97

Re: Our Offense 13 Games In

Post by Pride97 »

I really don't understand the offensive approach when they have a 10+ point lead. They go down court and take the first decent look they get - many times a 3. Whats the rush? Wyy don't we move the ball around and see what opens up? At the very least it stops the opponent from gaining momentum and bunching up quick points when they get hot - something we've seen a lot of.

Also, we used to run some sort of offensive weave at the top of the arc moving the ball back and forth across the court. Did they get away from that since we don't have strong ball handers anymore? Just thinking that maybe they could go back to some old sets that worked. It also feels like a ton of one on one. Delaware ran a play through Painter to Cook so many times for an easy jam. Can we not draw something up like that for Kante and Cramer?

We have different types of players now, but feels like they are trying to play the same offense as last year. There is no Buie or Eli on this team (unfortunately) - not even close. Jalen has strengths - started using a jumper off a screen which they seem to be going to to more. Burgess has been strong to the hoop too. How can they get Kante into more successful situations? Maybe make opponents respect Cramer and Cobrun (play to strengths) and they wont be able to double Kante.

and please tell Cramer to stop shooting 3s!!!!!
Polito

Post by Polito »

Ugh, struck two big chords there for me P97! I absolutely can NOT STAND when a guy runs down the floor on a fast break and stop to pop a 3 for no reason - it is infuriating, and especially so with this group that brick more than they sink. This makes ZERO sense and they need to be coached out of that. USE the possession properly - maximize your O with better plays and higher % shots.

This group still acts like they're a top 3 shooting team - even Farrelly in the weekly coaches report referenced HU not making shots because they're well contested - ah Mike, I love ya man, and I know you're not going to knock guys publicly nor should you, but no they're not, that's baloney lol. Very often these are wide open looks - their 3 % is awful and it's by their own doing, not some incredible D scheme - heck half the time Kante's doubled which means a guy is literally left alone! Not playing UVA or VCU out there, they just can't shoot right now / this season.

Stop rushing possessions - this is a coaching thing that can easily be corrected. RUN PLAYS and BURN CLOCK - stop the shootout wannabe stuff and let's play strategy to win. That was UD game 2 - it wasn't pretty, but it was a helluva lot better than game 1. Focus hard on mid range and attacking the hoop, no rushed shots, limit 3's, play d = have a great chance to win every game.

The other thing is Cramer - LOVE this kid, but I said before and it's echoed here: he HAS to STOP shooting 3's - it's a possession killer. I'm all for players developing and playing through mistakes, esp under class men - but now is not the time - work on it during the offseason, and come back year 2 ready to add that to your game.

Right now it's really hurting the team. And this team can't absorb that kind of stuff. It needs every trick in the book to win. And this can also be corrected easily through coaching. "Cramer son, this part of your game will come, but for right now, you are devastating in the paint - that is where you are unstoppable and help us win - DRIVE DRIVE DRIVE" - done. Simple. :D Kids length and wingspan is nearly un guardable at this level, USE it!!!
Wags

Post by Wags »

HU87 wrote:13 games in and I think it's time to accept that we may need to take a different approach to our offense to be successful with this roster...

Defense has been better, but we still need to score more efficiently if our aspirations this season is a CAA championship.

Like many on here have said, the 3 pt shooting is a MAJOR concern. Our most recent successful years, going back to 2015/2016, has been with a roster running this offense that has at least 3 players shooting 35% or higher from 3 with a relevant sample size. In our most successful of our successful years (20+ win seasons), it's been an offense with four players shooting over 35%, usually with one or two also above 40%.

2015/2016- Bernardi, Juanya, Ameen, Denton Koon
2018/2019- JWF (over 40%), Coburn (over 40%), Jalen Ray, Pemberton
2019/2020- Buie (over 40%), Jalen (40%), Coburn (39%), Eli (38%)

After 13 games this season, our top 4 3pt shooters:
Coburn- 35%
Ray- 34%
Burgess- 27%
David Green- 20%

Yes, this isn't rocket science or wildly surprising, but it does present the fact that we don't have the horses to run the race we've won in the past. While Ray and Coburn are probably due to start seeing a few more makes than misses, we just don't have the next level shooting we need.

I've seen some adjustments from Coach like running screens and actions within the paint/foul line extended area rather than out at the 3 pt line, but it isn't enough. We're still shooting 22 3's a game and making 27% of them.

Something needs to change in our approach to offense this season... Any ideas?
Yes - feed Kante down low because he's usually pretty efficient. So get him a few more touches and more shots per game. Instead of 12, get him 16 or 17. And when he's not scoring or drawing a foul, encourage him to do more of this to open things up for the struggling perimeter shooters - this is a great assist from him, which shouldn't have happened only once today: https://twitter.com/HofstraMBB/status/1 ... 2563244032

It helped that Towson completely forgot about Burgess as he curled along the baseline and out to the wing, but Kante also drew a lot of attention to keep Burgess as open as he was, so that Towson had no chance to recover and get out to him in time. They have one of the best bigs in the league - USE him, feature him at times, even to help free others up (like a good WR that commands attention to free up other WRs to catch passes), rather than simply making him a complementary piece to others that are featured, but who'll jack up (and miss) too many 3s.

The other thing is - encourage Coburn to attack and get to the line double-digit times per game. He's so much more effective and helps the entire offense so much more when he's taking more free throws than 3s instead of settling for 2/8 from 3 while going 2/2 at the line (like today).

And, like Burgess did on that 3, move people... move the ball, but move without the ball often and make opposing defenses work, in general. Don't be stagnant, watching Ray or whoever while making it easy for the defense. Make them expend more energy because you're moving and moving the ball - that'll help you out defensively, too, because they'll be more tired when they have the ball, the more you make them work on defense.
The Shadow

Post by The Shadow »

Hey Wags, How are you recuperating? We all hope you are doing better. I really miss your Hofstra articles on NY Sports Day and hope you can get back to writing very soon.
Wags

Post by Wags »

The Shadow wrote:Hey Wags, How are you recuperating? We all hope you are doing better. I really miss your Hofstra articles on NY Sports Day and hope you can get back to writing very soon.
Thanks for asking, Shadow! Appreciate it. I still have the bandages on (follow-up appointment with the surgeon on Wed), but feeling good for the most part and getting around okay now. But, funny you should ask - I am actually going to be back at The Mack covering Sunday's game, so I'll post a new article on that one.
Wags

Post by Wags »

Polito wrote:Ugh, struck two big chords there for me P97! I absolutely can NOT STAND when a guy runs down the floor on a fast break and stop to pop a 3 for no reason - it is infuriating, and especially so with this group that brick more than they sink. This makes ZERO sense and they need to be coached out of that. USE the possession properly - maximize your O with better plays and higher % shots.
The Steph Curry effect. Too many guys think they're Curry without putting in the large amount of work and repetition that Curry did to be able to do that. Happens with many teams at every level today. But where is the coaching to reel that in and to do what you're saying above? Way too many green lights, especially in that type of situation. But like I said, it's part of the game today, not just an HU thing. However, that doesn't mean it should be accepted. I'm with you - if it's effective, okay green light. If not, coaching!
The Shadow

Post by The Shadow »

Wags, Great news that you are feeling better. I am looking forward to your coverage later today.
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

The Shadow wrote:Wags, Great news that you are feeling better. I am looking forward to your coverage later today.
Wags didn't know you were sidelined. What happened? Sounds like you are on the road to recovery...that's great!
Wags

Post by Wags »

HUSID74 wrote:
The Shadow wrote:Wags, Great news that you are feeling better. I am looking forward to your coverage later today.
Wags didn't know you were sidelined. What happened? Sounds like you are on the road to recovery...that's great!
Landed in the hospital with gallstone pancreatitis for a week, 12/18 - 12/25 and had my gall bladder removed on 1/11. Didn't know some gallstones could cause so much trouble. If they get into the bile duct (as in my case), they can basically shut down my entire digestive system. Couldn't eat or drink (was solely on IV) for the first three days in the hospital. But wow, do those pain meds work fast, especially through IV! LOL - just want to get these bandages off and be fully back to normal. Almost there already. If HU's defense can shut down opposing offenses the rest of the season the way those gallstones shut down my digestive system, they'll win another CAA tourney title.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Jon glad to see you are on the road to recovery. Just rest up and feel better. Hopefully when all of this pandemic is over we can all get together and have some laughs over a nice cold brew.
Wags

Post by Wags »

stuball888 wrote:Jon glad to see you are on the road to recovery. Just rest up and feel better. Hopefully when all of this pandemic is over we can all get together and have some laughs over a nice cold brew.
Thanks, Stu! Sure, that would be great! In these crazy times, I vaguely recall things called bars and restaurants where we might be able do that. :)
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

Wags good to hear you are on the mend...perhaps you can put some of those gallstones in Towson's Gatorade bottles this afternoon!
Wags

Post by Wags »

HUSID74 wrote:Wags good to hear you are on the mend...perhaps you can put some of those gallstones in Towson's Gatorade bottles this afternoon!
LOL! They're all gone (thankfully), so I don't have anymore to give. It's all on Hofstra today. :)

Coburn did all the scoring early.

Score was Coburn 10, Towson 9. Now, 12-11, HU at the first MTO (14:37).
Polito

Post by Polito »

Ditto on all the well wishes!

Crazy times indeed... even Rutgers has faltered, just snapped a 5 game losing streak today :shock: - can't say I saw that coming - legit top big 10 team right there... gives me hope there's still a huge chance for HU to get things right in time for when it matters most!

And let's hope we all will get to gather to celebrate a repeat and an actual NCAAT!
Wags

Post by Wags »

Polito wrote:Ditto on all the well wishes!
Thanks, Polito! Appreciate it.
The Shadow

Post by The Shadow »

Wags, I was very glad to see your new HUBB article on NY Sports Day. Keep up the great work and I hope you continue to feel better. Are you planning to continue following the HU basketball team for the rest of 2021?