Game 13 @ Delaware, Sunday, 1/17/21, 1 PM

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
EvanJ

Re: Game 13 @ Delaware, Sunday, 1/17/21, 1 PM

Post by EvanJ »

Delaware shot field goals better and had 9 more rebounds, but they had 11 more turnovers, to to 9. Single-digit turnovers is good, but we only had 9 assists. Ray had 23 points, 3 assists, 1 block, and 4 steals. Burgess had 17 points, 6 rebounds, 5 assists, and 3 steals. He exceeded his previous career-high of 15 points, and was 1 short of his career-high in rebounds. Cramer had 9 points, led us with 8 rebounds, 2 blocks, and 2 steals. Coburn had 8 points from 3-12 shooting. He had 4 rebounds and no other positive contributions. Kante had 7 points, 4 rebounds, and 2 steals. He shot 3-10, which was his second worst field goal percentage for us. He shot 2-10 at Rutgers. His previous season-low in rebounds was 8, and it was his fewest since he had 4 in a win at Delaware on February 22, 2020. Trueheart shot 1-3 and free throws 2-2 for our only 4 bench points. Masic shot 0-1 in 6 minutes and did not return after injuring his left leg with 5:27 left in the first half. If he, Silverio, and Bethea can't play, we're short on guards. Schutte shot 0-3 and had 2 rebounds in 9 minutes. Trueheart had 16 of our 31 bench minutes. Ray played the whole game, Burgess played 36, Coburn played 33 and a majority of the time he didn't play was for 5:18 after his second foul, Kante played 31, and Cramer committed 4 fouls in 28 minutes. We had only 4 fouls in the second half, and Delaware had 13 of their 16 free throw attempts in the first half. We made 9 of 10 free throws. The only miss was by Burgess, who made 3 of 4. Cramer had a three-point play, and is up to 9/26 = .346, which is a big improvement over when he was 3/15 = .200. He's made 5 of his last 8. Gustys shot free throws .280 as a junior and .375 as a senior.

Ray expanded his scoring lead. He increased from 17.9 to 18.3, and Coburn fell from 15.6 to exactly 15. Kante fell from 13.2 to 12.7. Burgess increased his lead over Cramer for fourth to 1.1 per game. Burgess increased from 7.6 to 8.3, and Cramer increased from 7.1 to 7.2. Among other players regardless of how many games they played, Silverio stayed at 4.7, Green stayed at 2.8, Schutte and Masic fell from 2.2 to exactly 2, Trueheart increased from 0 to exactly 2, and Cowart is last with 1.3.

We were -8 with Coburn on the court. Burgess's statistics look good, but we were -3 with him on the court. Cramer led us and was tied for the game-high in +/-1 with Ebby Asamoah at +9. Looking at the Analytics tab, Efficiency, Game Score, and Net Points agree that Ray was our best player; Burgess was second; there was a big gap down to Cramer; Kante and Trueheart were about equal; and Coburn, Schutte, and Masic were the worst. Efficiency is always an integer because the formula is points + rebounds + assists + steals + blocks - missed shots - turnovers. Ray had 22, Burgess had 21, and Cramer had 16. Game Score and Net Points had a bigger gap between Burgess and Cramer.

It was the first time we had a player with at least 3 blocks and a player with at least 2 blocks since Coburn had 3 and Dan Dwyer had 2 on February 23, 2019. I went to that game, and JMU made a three at the buzzer to force overtime, where they won 104-99 to ruin Senior Day for JWF, Jacquil Taylor, Dwyer, and Kenny Wormley. Matt Lewis scored 40 including the three at the regulation buzzer and the winning three in overtime. We were ahead or tied for the last 17:03 of regulation. Today Ray had 1 block. We had 6 blocks, and we had at least 3 blocks in consecutive games for the first time this season. We did that four times last season. Trueheart's 3 blocks were his most since he did it twice as a freshman. He's third among active CAA players with 48. JMU's Zach Jacobs leads with 62, and Drexel's James Butler had 2 today to get to 57. Jacobs (18 starts) and Trueheart (22 starts) have had most of their career games as subs.

Replying to Wags about not having any hard road trips left, UNCW is 6-3 and +8.9 points per game, albeit it's +3.75 points per game against Division I teams with a 116-66 win hosting St. Andrew's. All of their starters average at least 11 points.
Wags

Post by Wags »

EvanJ wrote: Replying to Wags about not having any hard road trips left, UNCW is 6-3 and +8.9 points per game, albeit it's +3.75 points per game against Division I teams with a 116-66 win hosting St. Andrew's. All of their starters average at least 11 points.
Couldn't care less what UNCW did against St. Andrew's or that they're 6-3 against the likes of Troy, Campbell, Delaware St., etc.

They've yet to play a CAA game and were picked 9th in the conference. If Hofstra does what it's supposed to, that should not be a difficult trip.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

In the 11 consecutive games from our second through our twelfth, we used the same amount or fewer players than the previous game. Today ended the streak by playing the seven who played on Friday and Schutte.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

I haven't seen this game yet and I'm waiting patiently for Flo sports to show the replay. Am I correct that Kante didn't score in the second half?? I wonder what the problem was, him being doubled? It's funny now that we're short staffed in our backcourt some of us want to know where Silverio is including me. He's been in the fan DOGHOUSE FOR A WHILE but maybe he could help us beyond the ARC. I SAID maybe! So with our inept 3 PT. shooting here's a job for Evan. I wonder what teams in D-1 take the least number of 3 point shots maybe leading to a correlation of bad 3 point shooters = fewer attempts and how they teams fair in terms of WON/ LOSS?? Would our Team abandon the 3 point shot except obviously for Ray and Coburn and can we win taking higher percentage mid range shots. We shoot 28% from 3 and 43% from 2. Just getting frustrated at one and done offensive sets and more often then not no O rebounds. Burgess starting to become a real contributor and if he keeps this up he will give our pathetic offense a real well needed boost.
Polito

Post by Polito »

Wags, I hear ya, but the team I see right now will have to fight much harder than expected to beat every team in this conf.

Starting to wonder if Griffin will be even more important than Jaquan just to have a warm body that can actually shoot!

For now, HU definitely needs to focus on the mid range and attacking the basket. If they didn’t in this last game UD would have smoked them again. It helped big time, stick with it to have a chance.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

triplec2195 wrote: I haven't seen this game yet and I'm waiting patiently for Flo sports to show the replay. Am I correct that Kante didn't score in the second half?? I wonder what the problem was, him being doubled? It's funny now that we're short staffed in our backcourt some of us want to know where Silverio is including me. He's been in the fan DOGHOUSE FOR A WHILE but maybe he could help us beyond the ARC. I SAID maybe! So with our inept 3 PT. shooting here's a job for Evan. I wonder what teams in D-1 take the least number of 3 point shots maybe leading to a correlation of bad 3 point shooters = fewer attempts and how they teams fair in terms of WON/ LOSS?? Would our Team abandon the 3 point shot except obviously for Ray and Coburn and can we win taking higher percentage mid range shots. We shoot 28% from 3 and 43% from 2. Just getting frustrated at one and done offensive sets and more often then not no O rebounds. Burgess starting to become a real contributor and if he keeps this up he will give our pathetic offense a real well needed boost.
1. Kante shot 0-5 in the second half. He had 1 rebound in the first half and 3 in the second half.

2. I'm not going to enter each team's three-pointers attempted per game (with very unequal amounts of games it has to be done per game, not total), and three-point shooting percentage to calculate the correlation for over 300 teams. I did it for the CAA. Correlation ranges from -1 to 1, and if teams that shoot threes better attempt more per game, the correlation will be positive. The correlation was 0.470. The linear regression equation was threes attempted per game = 32.00*three-point shooting percentage + 11.33. As a simple example, shooting threes .350 would make 32*.35 + 11.33 = 22.53 threes attempted. For us, the regression equation predicts 20.25 threes attempted, and we average 22.08.

3. What I underlined is wrong. Our field goal percentage is .428. That's for twos and threes combined, not for twos. Two-pointers made and attempted are not listed on https://static.caasports.com/custompage ... M#team.ind so anyone has to manually take total makes and attempts and subtract threes. We shoot twos 242/465 = .520, which is up from .495 last season. Kante's percentage is down from .655 to .539. Cramer shoots twos .719. Ray shoots twos .504, and Coburn shoots twos .538. That's an increase from how our guards shot twos last season when Buie shot .502, Pemberton shot .483, Ray shot .407, and Coburn shot .433. Ray and Coburn are shooting twos about .100 better than last season. The Division I percentages are .508 for twos (so we're .012 better), .339 for threes (so we're .060 worse), and .444 for all (so we're .016 worse). Of the 31 conferences playing this season, the CAA ranks 24th shooting threes, 24th shooting field goals, and 7th shooting free throws. I didn't spend time calculating each conference's percentage shooting twos to get the CAA's rank. The NCAA has each team's rank in 32 statistics, but threes attempted per game isn't one of them.

http://stats.ncaa.org/rankings/ranking_ ... mary_id=-1 has Hofstra's ranks. I changed part of the URL from MBB to WBB and it gave our Women's ranks at http://stats.ncaa.org/rankings/ranking_ ... mary_id=-1

Dylan Painter's 19 rebounds against us on Friday are tied for the tenth most in Division I, and Kante's 17 against Rutgers are tied for the 32nd most. Another player with 19 in a game this season is Justin Gorham. In 2017-2018, I tweeted that he led Towson in rebounds per game as a sub, and he liked my tweet. He now plays for Houston. In 2018-2019 and 2019-2020, Towson didn't need his rebounding. Their top three rebounders in both of those seasons were Dennis Tunstall, Nakye Sanders, and Brian Fobbs, all of whom graduated. Now brothers Solomon and Victor Uyaelunmo are tied for the team lead with 5.5, which is low for a team leader. They're tied for twelfth in the CAA.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Evan thanks for taking the time to consider my question so do we focus on our MIDRANGE GAME which we already see Jalen doing obviously shooting the three when it presents itself??
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

I don't know anything other than numbers, and there's no way of getting two-pointers broken down by distance. I have no idea what it looks like to draw a play. There are things about basketball (and football) that almost anyone else here probably knows better than me. There are probably plenty of people who have read my tweets and/or message board posts who would be surprised if they knew what I don't know about sports. Until a couple of years ago I didn't know what caused a three second violation.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

EvanJ wrote:I don't know anything other than numbers, and there's no way of getting two-pointers broken down by distance. I have no idea what it looks like to draw a play. There are things about basketball (and football) that almost anyone else here probably knows better than me. There are probably plenty of people who have read my tweets and/or message board posts who would be surprised if they knew what I don't know about sports. Until a couple of years ago I didn't know what caused a three second violation.
Evan you need to make the numbers come alive and stick your neck out once in a while, Lol. So if your wrong it won't be a misdemeanor. You watch the games voice an opinion using the numbers. I bet there are plenty of D-1 teams out there that don't attempt a lot of three point shots. Why because they don't have a lot of players that are efficient 3 point shooters. Does this sound familiar? Kinda like HU so maybe and you see it happening already we're scoring from mid range and guys like Kante and Cramer can score points in the paint off put backs on O rebounds. Right now that's Cramer's forte and thank god he's such a tough player down there with elite leaping ability.