MBB Recruits 2021

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
HofstraMathew

Re: MBB Recruits 2021

Post by HofstraMathew »

Polito wrote:Hm, I really don't know the exact details around this yet myself, but to my knowledge HU is continuing to recruit, as they should - I don't think decisions will be made until we are deeper into the season and see how things play out - I think a lot will depend on how the year goes if either would decide to return. And will likely be the case for many players in their position.

This is happening in college football, as the season is nearing it's final stretch, players are now opting out if they are no longer playing for anything meaningful so they can get prepped for the next step / level and go pro.
Yea I definitely get what you are saying. Was just getting excited about a potential talented roster where we would essentially not lose any starters. But yes of course everything is still up in the air. Who knows maybe the NCAA will even allow extra scholarships to help balance this out.
Polito

Post by Polito »

Oh for sure, if they return that would be incredible, all starters loaded with seasoned upper class men... the NCAA sucks, so poorly run and fully corrupt, we'll see what happens!
Cards

Post by Cards »

Large defection of players from Ivy league. I guess they want to play ;)

Latest verbal commit transfer list shows about 20 Ivy guys recently entered the transfer portal.
Polito

Post by Polito »

Yep, as they should - and hoping HU is ALL over that... some nice players in that league - they are already after Danilo Djuricic, imagine a few others may be of interest.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Cards wrote:Large defection of players from Ivy league. I guess they want to play ;)

Latest verbal commit transfer list shows about 20 Ivy guys recently entered the transfer portal.
Based on the circumstances which I believe are unprecedented in terms of the entire Ivy League shutting down these kids should be eligible to play right away, no!! How insane a situation would that be and their scholarship(s) should be gratis!!
Polito

Post by Polito »

Agreed - not sure how they are handling it... unfortunately the NCAA is more corrupt than the mob, and MUCH more poorly run! :D
cactus
Site Admin

Post by cactus »

According to verbal commits they are immediately eligible. They are not on a sports scholarship in the Ivy League.
Hofstra

Post by Hofstra »

Hoping Shawn Fulcher and Nick Folk get some heavy looks from us. Both are real ballers.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Hofstra wrote:Hoping Shawn Fulcher and Nick Folk get some heavy looks from us. Both are real ballers.
Manhattan and St Peters both offered. What do you know? Are we in fact looking to get another PG next year??
Polito

Post by Polito »

Great question, really curious to the staffs plans on that... Wags (or anyone else with press passes) any chance you can grab some insight from Farrelly the next chance you get to ask some questions?
budman

Post by budman »

Students who are seniors this year will not count for the scholarship limit next year.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

budman wrote:Students who are seniors this year will not count for the scholarship limit next year.
Budman I had posted an article here addressing that is that what you're using as a resource for this information or have you read something else? Just curious because I got the feeling that this was not in fact law just yet maybe because the entire NCAA body powers that be hadn't voted on it?
Hofstra

Post by Hofstra »

triplec2195 wrote:
Hofstra wrote:Hoping Shawn Fulcher and Nick Folk get some heavy looks from us. Both are real ballers.
Manhattan and St Peters both offered. What do you know? Are we in fact looking to get another PG next year??
I dont know much in regards to that. I went to see them play last year vs. RJ Davis (unc, McDonalds All american), and they are great players.
budman

Post by budman »

triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

This has so many ramifications its crazy. This not only applies to Coburn and Ray but what about Trueheart who was a redshirt freshman and who hasn't stepped out on the court yet. Someone posted here that Ray and Coburn would come back next year to take advantage of getting free tuition but is this conjecture or do we know this first hand. It would behoove them if they continue to pursue graduate studies. Then for our guards here looking for playing time Masic, Bethea, Silverio and Carlos & Barrouk coming in this would limit their playing time for sure. If these kids transferred would they be eligible somewhere else right away? Well I don't think that's part of this almost open ended rule. It's a whole new world out there created by this Covid rule change.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Carlos and Barruck can always redshirt their freshmen year
HofstraMathew

Post by HofstraMathew »

I couldn't see a player transferring or decommitting just due to not getting enough playing time in their freshman or sophomore year. You have to feel Caleb would still have a shot to get minutes even with Carlos. So the only one based on playing time alone I could see transferring out would be Silverio but he has already transferred once and maybe just wants to work on finishing his degree instead of changing locations again.

And stuball I doubt Carlos (who is the best recruit we got in years) is going to come in and redshirt.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Didnt Jenkins redshirt his freshman year No need fir him to rush let get acclamated his freshman year and have a full four years of running the team
Polito

Post by Polito »

Yeah I'm not too worried about that stuff specifically for HU - I think this staff recruits the right kind of guys (for the most part), and sells with integrity so every player understands clearly you are going to earn it first. And they have the history to point to of doing just that. Most of HU's guards who become stars barely play year 1. Works out just fine, and I think these next 2 coming in are with that.

And I would GLADLY take a 5th year from Ray and Coburn, that would be a tremendous boost - starting 3 Srs and a Jr would be huge!
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

We're all talking about the potential for extra scholarships. Not sure with this Pandemic and its impact on school finances the University will be in a position to fund those IMO.