New Hofstra President, Dr. Susan Poser

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
hofstrahall

Re: New Hofstra President, Dr. Susan Poser

Post by hofstrahall »

EvanJ wrote:
Polito wrote: I would really like to see HU grow it's numbers, and I'm hoping UIC's much larger size has her in that mindset - it's become way too small IMO. About 8-10k undergrad, and another X for grad (10-15 total max) seems right sized to me. It's built for that, and those numbers can help so many things, including community/state/region support, alumni pool, marketing reach, merchandising, sponsorships, media / attention, and donation / tuition dollars.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hofstra_University says we have 6,701 undergraduates and 4,170 graduates, which is 61.64 percent undergraduate, and that's from 2018. The total of 10,871 is in the 10,000 to 15,000 range. Other schools have a higher percentage of their students who are undergraduates. Looking at the other private CAA schools, Drexel has a slightly higher 63.40 percent who are undergraduates, and that's from August 29. For Fall 2019, Northeastern had 67.03 percent as undergraduates. As of August 2019, Elon had 90.84 percent as undergraduates. St. John's has 77.96 percent as undergraduates, and Wikipedia doesn't have a source for that, so I don't know when the numbers are from.

I don't travel alone. I live in Merrick and couldn't have gone anywhere else. Other than Physical Geological Science in my first semester, I never had more than 40 students in a class. So many schools have lectures with hundreds of students, and Hofstra doesn't have many classrooms that could hold that many. I didn't care about if Hofstra was famous or would impress other people. A unique thing I took advantage of was that there was a date about 70 percent of the way through each semester, and until that date anyone could drop a class for any reason. Without saying what I did, I worked at Adelphi for seven years, and they had academic policies and other things that would have been much worse for me as a student.
According to Hofstra's Institution Research Common Data Set for 2019-2020

https://www.hofstra.edu/about/iraa/iraa-cds.html

As of fall 2019: total Hofstra Enrollment is 10,804
Total Undergraduate: 6,498 (60.1%)
Total Graduate: 4306 (39.9%)

For the freshman class of Fall 2019: 1,522 full time students enrolled.
Admissions cycle for Fall 2019: 24,385 applied, 16,728 accepted - 68.6% acceptance rate, 1, 522 enrolled.
Transfers: 1,491 applied, 916 accepted - 61.4% acceptance rate, 275 enrolled.
EvanJ

Re: New Hofstra President, Dr. Susan Poser

Post by EvanJ »

The freshman amounts mean that just over 1 in 11 accepted students attend.