Game 3 vs. Fairleigh Dickinson, 11/30/20, 7 PM on Flosports

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
Cards

Re: Game 3 vs. Fairleigh Dickinson, 11/30/20, 7 PM on Flospo

Post by Cards »

HofstraMathew wrote:Cards. I believe the dec 9-19th gap is for finals week.
I think you're right HM. Even though many schools play right through finals week, personally I think the kids need to be paying attention to thier studies.

Its really the second break in action (right before CAA play). I haven't checked previous years schedules, but I can't recall any recent season in which HU did not have a few games the week before "opening" day. I would think that the vast majority of coaches would want that chance to fine tune things. Of course, this is not a normal year, so in some cases it may be out of the coaches hands.
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

D2 not playing until sometime in Jan...A friend of mine's son plays for Molloy and he said they were supposed to play us and St. John's but all games were cancelled until January.
Hopefuly we can pick up one or two games locally.
HofstraMathew

Post by HofstraMathew »

Cards wrote:
HofstraMathew wrote:Cards. I believe the dec 9-19th gap is for finals week.
I think you're right HM. Even though many schools play right through finals week, personally I think the kids need to be paying attention to thier studies.

Its really the second break in action (right before CAA play). I haven't checked previous years schedules, but I can't recall any recent season in which HU did not have a few games the week before "opening" day. I would think that the vast majority of coaches would want that chance to fine tune things. Of course, this is not a normal year, so in some cases it may be out of the coaches hands.
Yea would be nice to get one more game on like the 27th or 28th. I guess the only thing I could think of is maybe they are figuring the players will be around family for Christmas and new years and don't want to then have them come back in between the holidays with a potential covid exposure.
Polito

Post by Polito »

Agree on adding a game or 2, esp after losing Monmouth - I hope they are trying, there are a lot of games that are popping up out of nowhere as other teams scramble to fill spots impacted by COVID - HU should be no different and should be actively trying to get more on the books. This team needs practice yet, but live game experience against real teams is even more important in my book.

I'm going to revert back to my concern with Kante when it comes to Green and others - he was AWFUL the first half of last year, hugely disappointing - and then at some point the light came on and he has become one of the best bigs in the league (if not the). This similar trajectory also happened with Taylor. Heck even Schutte has become truly serviceable. This staff has now proven their ability to bring guys along, and I'm going to allow for that to happen with Green (especially as a freshman) and the PG's. Even though in game my passion may overtake my senses for a bit :lol:

Eh, the shooting still is a concern until proven otherwise - heard the same thing before and HU has had some years where they actually never shot the ball well with the high % expected, and the final success suffered for it - they would mask by taking a million shots to get points, I'd rather not see that anymore. They are getting great looks, they simply need to knock em down at a respectable clip. And I'm not convinced until they show it consistently.

Re PG: FD, to speak to your question, I do not see Ray in this spot full time for a couple of reasons:
1) He is an adequate ball handler, but not superior - and the PG needs to be superior with the rock. Full court press seems to be hot right now across the country, and your primary ball guy needs to be expert with it.
2) This may have an impact on his actual scoring production. He has not had to think about running the O, ever, and that is a huge mental element that will distract him from doing what we need most, put the ball in the hoop.
3) He is not excellent at creating his own shot yet, nor creating awesome opps for his teammates, as he has not had to do that full-time before. If we're going to have someone learning on the job, I'd rather focus the attention on the actual PG's who have that in their DNA.

CAN he do it full time? Sure. Should he? Not in my opinion. I love the idea of him doing it in spurts, that lineup was powerful, there is no denying that. But it should be done strategically for certain situations or key game moments / swings.

I think the 2 PG's will continue to develop and they need the opp to do that. They are not sitting 2 actual floor generals who were brought here for that exact reason, nor should they. Those 2 simply need to elevate and produce in the position. So far I see:
- Burgess showcasing an excellent handle, actually running the offense, and playing fantastic defense. He needs to develop his offense clearly, and I would like to see more aggressiveness and more urgency or swiftness in running plays. He showed a couple of brief flashes against FDU, but this is obviously still a work in progress.
- Cowart is aggressive and attacks on both sides of the ball. Love that. But he has yet to show me he's actually running plays. I'm sure it will come, but that's the biggest requirement for me.

So for now I think it's Burgess's job with Cowart pushing. And Ray adds a dynamic of showing how to handle things as a mature senior. And that competition and education will be great for them both.
Wags

Post by Wags »

stuball888 wrote:Our old friend David Duke is the Adelphi coach and Speedys brother Mike is on his staff
There's another David Duke who plays for Providence now. He said he hopes he can use that platform to make that name be well-known for good things rather than the way the racist David Duke is known. I'm sure our old Hofstra friend, now at Adelphi, must've felt the same.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Speaking about the PG situation last night on the Claxton and Cobian chronicles(no Curtin) Speedy spoke of how the lineup that produced the best results in the F.D. game was with Ray running the point and Silverio at the 2,Coburn 3, Cramer 4 with Kante at the 5. I was surprised and if you read between the lines it almost sounded like they would go back to it if the PG position isn't producing. They continued to praise the play of Silverio and talk about once again how he's the X factor. Speedy said they will continue to run out the PG's for now and whoever is playing better will get more minutes. When you read between the lines it becomes clear that they aren't happy with that position right now. Stay tuned!!
Pride97

Post by Pride97 »

Also, there was a question posed about the injury to Bethea. Bethea needed surgery for a dislocated finger and is expected back soon (doesn't sound like he is redshirting). Has anyone heard anything on Trueheart?
Polito

Post by Polito »

Thanks guys for the updates. I'm sure they are disappointed in the PG play, it's been very underwhelming so far, and this system is fully dependent upon top flight PG play. But those guys have to come along, can't have *2* point guards eating up scholly's that don't produce. They are both talented, they are here to play point, period. It's up to the staff and those 2 guys to get their play elevated in swift fashion. Again I'm all for Ray running point in spurts, I am just not for him taking it on FT. And I don't think he will, because they only way to develop those 2 is to get them out there in action.

I do think we'll see more of Ray at least temporarily though as they teach those 2 - I have faith in Speedy, let's see how things go...

Best wishes to Bethea for a speedy full recovery - curious to see how he handles seeing action - if he's got an offense ready to show, and the finger is 100%, he could earn some PT in a hurry. Masic's primary role is bench support as needed, so I haven't really spent much time evaluating, he's doing the team a solid right now playing more than he really should IMO - but I imagine Bethea will be on the floor instead as soon as he's ready. College ready size, strong, physical, attacks the basket, can handle the rock, drain from deep, engaged on D - let's see if he's ready to be all those things year 1. If not no biggie, he's a frosh, but if he is, he could add a really nice boost off the bench to the scoring that's desperately needed.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

It sounded like from Speedy that Bethea will be ready to play maybe even on Saturday not sure about that but a lot of us are anxious to see what he brings like Polito said he has a college ready body and I'm sure he will be playing better them Masic at least in the early going from what we've seen.
Flying Dutchmen

Post by Flying Dutchmen »

Polito wrote:Re PG: FD, to speak to your question, I do not see Ray in this spot full time for a couple of reasons:
1) He is an adequate ball handler, but not superior - and the PG needs to be superior with the rock. Full court press seems to be hot right now across the country, and your primary ball guy needs to be expert with it.
2) This may have an impact on his actual scoring production. He has not had to think about running the O, ever, and that is a huge mental element that will distract him from doing what we need most, put the ball in the hoop.
3) He is not excellent at creating his own shot yet, nor creating awesome opps for his teammates, as he has not had to do that full-time before. If we're going to have someone learning on the job, I'd rather focus the attention on the actual PG's who have that in their DNA.
Ray is the best ball-handler on the team, he's run the offense more than any player on the team, and he's maybe the only player on the team that can create his own shot.

In a perfect world, Burgess is the starting PG, but he's shooting 10%. 2 points in 46 minutes. What are we talking about? I don't mean that to bury Caleb either, I think his shot, and offensive confidence has improved from last year when he looked very tentative, but we can't have a guy playing 25+ minutes who will literally not score a point. The coaching staff knows that. He brings defensive intensity so he's not a complete liability on the court, but instead of giving him the starting job, I rather see him develop his offensive game in bench minutes. CAA teams will make us pay if we don't have offensive production from 5 players on the court.

While I have been impressed with Silverio so far, Cowart needs more games under his belt to see what his role on the team will be. Maybe Cowart and Ray are the answer in the backcourt. So far I think he's looked like a guy who can at least give us minutes while not being a liability, which we're going to need with this strange schedule and the back to backs.

Back to Ray, he has played PG for us, it's not like he's just been a spot-shooter the past three seasons. The coaching staff has given him time in games to run the offense over the years. I personally like Ray with the ball, it makes him more dynamic, he gets to the hoop more often. He's not a selfish shooter with the ball, he had 9 assists on Monday. I was kind of surprised Ray wasn't the assumed starting PG coming into the season. Ultimately, a title is just a title, the offense was going to run through Jalen one way or another, but I think the ball should be in his hands as much as possible.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

I have to say FD that I agree with Polito here Ray can play the point but he's not a PG. His ball handling skills are not Burgess or Cowart and unfortunately neither of our PG's have proven they can score the ball. I get the motivation of having him play the point. It was similar when we had Justin play the point and if people remember he had a few bad turnovers against N.C. State in the NIT game that led to easy baskets. I distinctly remember Ray getting his pocket picked bringing the ball up at the Mack. If Ray became our starting PG I'd imagine that teams would press him in the backcourt knowing he's not a PG and this is not his best position. I do believe it could mess with his head playing the point on a regular basis. This probably could have been something the team experimented with if we had some scrimmage games but now we have to keep running out Burgess and Cowart and hope we get scoring out of the position. If Cramer continues to grow and becomes a consistent scorer then there WILL be less importance placed on getting scoring from the point IMO. I do however believe that Ray will continue to play the point but not a lot of minutes there.
Polito

Post by Polito »

Some good counter points FD, I can agree on a few. I agree good to have him with the ball as much as possible, the O is going to run through him, and no way they can leave the pitiful scoring out of the 1 thus far - Burgess slightly improved but a long way from where he needs to be - I expect much more from Cowart, and certainly agree he needs more burn to see what is really there. I'm all for that. He should (read: is supposed to) be that guy once he settles in.

Not with you so much on ball handling or shot creation. He can attack the basket no doubt, but I want the ball in Burgess's hands for example over his in a full court press, every time. I also haven't seen Ray create enough just yet either - he might, kid is talented and experienced, but he hasn't really needed to much at HU - def not to the extent he would need to in that role.

Don't think HU has had Ray run point very much at all, not sure I even recall those times, pretty sure they were sporadic / few and far between - obviously Buie has owned that spot. But what I will say to aid your point is that he did in fact run point more in HS in Hampton VA. So he has before and can - I just personally don't think it's the right play for him now.

His assists are a bit deceiving - they did not come from setting up and creating the O - the majority came from the exact same situation, he brought the ball up to the top of the key and passed to a perimeter guy who pulled a quick trigger and made the basket. Granted that's not uncommon of course, but it's not like he was masterfully running sets and wheeling and dealing - he was simply passing the ball and guys actually made their shots unlike RU game - I'll take that over not of course, and def not complaining lol, but it wasn't a holy cow this kid is an incredible PG 9 assists IMO.

But hey you might be right, let's see how the staff handles it. They may go your way - and I'm all about the repeat, so whatever gets HU there I'm in!! :D