St Johns

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
stuball888

St Johns

Post by stuball888 »

Looked at their schedule They have an open slot for an opponent on Nov 25th Can we fill that void?
Dooku25

Re: St Johns

Post by Dooku25 »

I've asked Mihalich a few times over the years about St John's. They refuse to play us...

Beating them 5 times in the early 2000s still bothers them I guess.
dutchalum01

Post by dutchalum01 »

I want to play them so bad. What a bunch of p#€£¥%.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Polito

Post by Polito »

Total weak sauce

But this new staff is going to have that program playing much better very soon. Would still love to play them, even more so the better they get
jaspegs

Post by jaspegs »

OOC was brought up in the Zoom with season ticket holders tonight... Was made pretty clear that St. Johns has no interesting in playing us...Speedy said we’d play them anytime, anyplace, anywhere. Said the only way they’d play us is in the NCAA tourney. Pretty disappointing but no surprise.
CTDutch

Post by CTDutch »

"Zoom for season ticket holders"? How was this communicated? I knew nothing about this.
HofstraMathew

Post by HofstraMathew »

CTDutch wrote:"Zoom for season ticket holders"? How was this communicated? I knew nothing about this.
It was emailed from Mike Neely and called the Claxton and Curtin Chronicles. I had glanced over it myself and didn't realize what it was until after the reactions on this board.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Lets have a new name for the Red Storm I suggest the Yellow Tinkle
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

jaspegs wrote:OOC was brought up in the Zoom with season ticket holders tonight... Was made pretty clear that St. Johns has no interesting in playing us...Speedy said we’d play them anytime, anyplace, anywhere. Said the only way they’d play us is in the NCAA tourney. Pretty disappointing but no surprise.
Yeah these were good comments from Speedy it conjured up visions of us beating them in the Holiday festival at MSG. We ACTUALLY beat them three times straight from 2003-2006. Those were the days for sure.
Polito

Post by Polito »

Yep, owned 'em. And owned NYC hoops. Building that again.

I get it, it's really a no-win for SJU, but it's sucky for them to play like that. Bigs play mids every year, it's part of the OOC deal - NYC hoops needs it's regional teams to play well and play each other to create some juice again for NYC basketball. Man up and play ball. Doesn't have to be every year, but to refuse to play any year because you lost last time is ridiculous.

SO glad to see it's not HU and that our staff has a pair - way to go Speedy & Co., love that comment, any time any place - THAT'S a winners mindset!
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

St John’s is playing Stony Brook, game just announced.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

ProudofPride wrote:St John’s is playing Stony Brook, game just announced.
Unbelievable then why won't they play us?? The stigma attached to losing again to us??
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

I believe it will be Dec3rd St Johns had the game vs Texas Tech cancelled and SBU had a game against Sacred Heart cancelled we had Dec3rd open but StJohns took the path of least resistance
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

But of course a real shocker!!
Wags

Post by Wags »

I think we need the facts here - did Stony Brook approach SJU and beat HU to it? If so, bad on HU (though, this seems unlikely to be the case).

If not (which is far more likely), then as others stated above, really weak for SJU to yet again duck HU as in the past, especially when others in the CAA routinely schedule higher profile intrastate or local area programs every year. This season, these these took place or were at least scheduled before Covid canceled them, including one with HU, of course!

Charleston at North Carolina
Drexel at Penn State
Drexel at Pittsburgh
Hofstra at Rutgers
William & Mary at NC State
Towson at Maryland
Elon at Duke
Elon at North Carolina
William & Mary at Virginia

That's nine different times this season alone that a program as big or much bigger than SJU didn't duck a local CAA opponent. C'mon, St. John's.
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

Didn't the coaches say St. John's doesn't want to play us? I thought I heard that on the CCC video or somewhere else.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Yes Jojo but all we are doing is calling out StJohns for ducking us Other bigger programs have no trouble playing good mid majors
Polito

Post by Polito »

I would think that after the coaching change at SJU that door would open, similar to Iona. Really unfortunate.