Claxton and Curtin Chronicles

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
EvanJ

Re: Claxton and Curtin Chronicles

Post by EvanJ »

Polito wrote: Orlando/Region POY, that's no small deal, FL has a ton of talent.
He went to Ocoee High School, which used to have Grant Riller. I wonder if Ocoee's coach was the same for Riller and Green. Riller got injured shortly after going to Charleston and took a redshirt season. He scored 13.1 as a redshirt freshman. If Green averages 13.1, we have a good chance at winning the CAA. It would be great if two of our three returning starters can average over 15, but teams don't need a star to be successful. When George Mason went to the Final Four in 2005-2006, all of their starters averaged from 11.0 to 13.7, and their bench averaged 8.9.
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

There's another video tonight for season ticket holders.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Jojogunne wrote:There's another video tonight for season ticket holders.
AND Andrew Cobian to join the discussion. I really don't know what his job is but I guess we will be finding out!
HofstraMathew

Post by HofstraMathew »

triplec2195 wrote:
AND Andrew Cobian to join the discussion. I really don't know what his job is but I guess we will be finding out!
I think he was a graduate assistant and has now taking over the role Colin curtin used to have. His title is director of player development.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

HofstraMathew wrote:
triplec2195 wrote:
I think he was a graduate assistant and has now taking over the role Colin curtin used to have. His title is director of player development.
So I never really knew what Cobian's responsibilities were and now after listening to the show last night I have a better feel for what he's doing. He actually played basketball for 4 years at Centenary College(Div. 3) in N.J. and is from Long Island. He certainly appeared knowledgeable and does a lot of the scouting of our opponents exchanging videos back and forth. He had a few comments about our first game against Monmouth and how they like to play a physical game which will get us ready for teams like Towson once CAA play starts. Stephen Gorchov again posed the question to both Curtin and Cobian as to who they thought would start (NO Claxton) and Curtin didn't answer the question said he knew of three players that were assured of starting. Cobian took the question more seriously and thought that Burgess would get the nod because he's being playing under the system for a year while Elmo has had to learn it with a reduced amount of practices. I kind of get the feel here that if this was a normal year we would see Elmo starting but with Covid and the shortened practice season Caleb has the upper hand. Cobian then took some time contemplating who the 5th starter would be and said he thinks it will be Cramer over Green. They both talked about the high level of energy that Cramer brings to the team and he also has practiced with this team for a year. Curtin said that Green has the ability to be the next GREAT player at Hofstra with his skill set but reminded us that he's only a freshman and has to grow. Other things to note here was a comment about Silverio and the level that he has played at during the practices. It's pretty clear that he is a big part of the plans for this years team. Curtin also mentioned that he feels with all the young talent that we have we could see 8-9 players seeing action for this team. That certainly will be a change from what we have been used to seeing. All and all a worthwhile half hour of basketball talk.
Polito

Post by Polito »

Great stuff tc, thank you for the recap!

I am really encouraged by the PG and 4 spots, HU has two starter level players in both - that is huge. I agree the best move is for HU to go with the experience first, and allow the newer guys to get their feet under them. This is going to be a really wild year, and the start of the season will likely see some craziness, so I think it's best to go with your most seasoned guys out of the gate.

Teams will be forced to use the season as their offseason, so I expect a lot of things we wouldn't normally see across the board. As Farrelly mentioned, and we've been saying for awhile, teams are going to be really different at the end of the yr than they are at the start.

I expect to see some upsets we would not normally see. And teams that have any level of veteran leadership will be the ones to take advantage. Then the teams that have younger talent will see a surge as that talent gets acclimated. I'm hopeful that HU takes this opp to come out of the gate and steal a few 'big W's' with their returning talent and the unsteadiness of other teams.

But we'll see, it's going to be a bit messy and sloppy across the country - this won't be pretty basketball initially but it should be one heckuva season!
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Expect to see about 30 turnovers for both Hofstra and Monmouth combined I expect a sloppy game as teams get to know their teammates and their tendencies
Polito

Post by Polito »

Definitely expect to see sloppy ball across ALL college basketball the next couple of weeks - I think we see some wild scores, crazy finishes, odd upsets, etc. Should be fun!

TO's yes, and probably some plays that don't run well, some off shots, you name it LOL - but hey, we have college hoops again! GO HU!