We Lost 2 Games That Didn't Happen

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
EvanJ

We Lost 2 Games That Didn't Happen

Post by EvanJ »

https://www.timesunion.com/sports/artic ... 171817.php says that Siena vacated their 35 wins from 2015-2016, 2016-2017, and 2017-2018. There were changes in how vacating was done. In the past, vacated games were changed to losses (or at least I thought they were). These 35 wins are changed to not existing, so their three season combined record went from 35-47 to 0-47. They beat us in 2015-2016 and 2017-2018. When wins are vacated, they are not given to the team who lost to the team who had to vacate. A bigger deal is that the whole team forfeited three seasons of individual statistics, which I had never heard of the NCAA doing. Brett Bisping lost 689 points and 531 rebounds, but isn't mad at the NCAA. Marquis Wright lost 622 points and 203 assists, and is mad at the NCAA. To make an analogy, it would like MLB proving when players used steroids, taking away all individual Yankee statistics from years that A-Rod used steroids, and taking away milestones like Rivera's saves record and Jeter having over 3,000 hits. Even among fans who hate the Yankees and A-Rod, I don't think they would want Rivera and Jeter to lose individual records and milestones because they had a teammate cheat. What also doesn't make sense is that we (and other teams who Siena beat on the court) keep our losses and individual statistics. JWF didn't score in the 2015-2016 loss and scored 25 points in the 2017-2018 loss in games that didn't happen. I was thinking about if we should ask the NCAA if we can remove our losses, but would the NCAA let us do that without giving up our individual statistics from those games?
triplec2195

Re: We Lost 2 Games That Didn't Happen

Post by triplec2195 »

So is Jimmy now in line to be hired by some school desperate to be a winner? He had a winning record at Loyola and a losing record at Siena that's even before the wins were vacated. He never reached anything above the CBI with Siena and won it in 2013-14. That sounds like a great resume a 77-92 in 5 years at Siena. I wonder what exactly the violations were the school was fined $5,000 seems like just a slap on the hand. Probably the NCAA would be keeping busy 24/7 if they had the manpower to investigate P5 schools and even mid-major schools like Gonzaga who has a disguised P5 program in a mid-major conference. I remember Tom Pecora going beserk when he found out that Brad Kelleher PG(Australia) who was to be starting along side Mike Moore was declared ineligible for some minor BS infractions while playing in his native country. I wonder if anyone will ever write a book condemning the NCAA( Tom r u listening)??
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Reminds me of another instance. The best football player who went to Hofstra but never played a down was Arlen Harris. He was a transfer from Virginia. Before he left there was an issue with a term paper he wrote. There was an accusation of that it was copied from another paper that was similar to his. He never got a chance to defend himself. He was told by his academic advisor at Virginia that he didnt have to defend himself since he was transferring out.So on the opening game of the season at Hofstra while in uniform ready to take the field Joe Gardi tapped him on the shoulder and told him that the NCAA ruled he was ineligible and his whole season was gone. He was never ruled guilty of the charge it just read that the issue was unresolved. They said since he was not cleared of the charge he could not play. When we asked for a trial, Virginia said no, since he was not registered at Virginia.Talk about BS. They ruined his career over an accusation.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

The NCAA has trouble keeping their eye on the ball(s) I think they use mid-major programs as scapegoats. It just seems like this autonomous entity that runs wild with no checks and balances. Politics on the highest levels of so called "amateur" sports.
Wags

Post by Wags »

The NCAA may take away wins and stats, but the games happened.

You can put an asterisk next to records and qualify them as being achieved illegally or unethically, etc. But they happened.

The NCAA may not count Louisville as 2013 NCAA champions, but we watched the games. We watched them win. If you want to put an asterisk next to their title and describe why it's there, fine. That part of history should be recorded in full detail if a team cheated. But to treat games like they never happened, like they never existed, when we all watched them, has always been a ridiculous notion.