2020 CAA Men's Basketball Tournament Seed Scenarios

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
hualum

Re: 2020 CAA Men's Basketball Tournament Seed Scenarios

Post by hualum »

...and lets not forget that once again...unless we play Northeastern the building will be loaded with W&M, Towson and possibly UDee fans.
I was hoping to go, but due to family commitments I now can't. HU NEEDS to get a bus of students there. Heck- lets start a GOFUNDME to pay the way for them. I'm 1/2 kidding.
Wags

Post by Wags »

hualum wrote:...and lets not forget that once again...unless we play Northeastern the building will be loaded with W&M, Towson and possibly UDee fans.
I was hoping to go, but due to family commitments I now can't. HU NEEDS to get a bus of students there. Heck- lets start a GOFUNDME to pay the way for them. I'm 1/2 kidding.
Towson fans didn't even show up in Baltimore, so I wouldn't worry about them too much. Delaware will have more, but not that many. W&M will show up in good numbers and they're loud in the tourney.

But let's also not forget that Hofstra leads the nation with 10 road wins, so... bring it on regardless of the environment!
Hofstra

Post by Hofstra »

hualum wrote:...and lets not forget that once again...unless we play Northeastern the building will be loaded with W&M, Towson and possibly UDee fans.
No excuse for the building to be loaded with opposing fans. We are the 1 seed, less than 5 hours away.. March Madness, no excuses for those fans packing the building not to be ours.
daHUPride

Post by daHUPride »

Delaware has a nice lineup - I think they are and will be our toughest opponent today and in the tourny - NE always scares me, this year less but a well coached team/plays good extended defense.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

daHUPride wrote:Delaware has a nice lineup - I think they are and will be our toughest opponent today and in the tourny - NE always scares me, this year less but a well coached team/plays good extended defense.
Its no secret but we need to contain Darling and Mutts. We need to be on Darling every time he touches the ball he's a very smooth almost automatic if he gets good looks. Mutts will need to be contained by our guards and maybe Trueheart but he can't go off for 30 points like he did in at Hempstead.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

If Towson wins hosting Elon and Northeastern wins at Drexel, all six byes will be clinched by about 4:00 P.M. The top three have clinched byes, and the bottom two can't get byes. If those results happen, Elon and Drexel can't get more than 8 wins. Charleston has 9, and Towson has 9 and would get a tenth with those results. Elon could tie Northeastern at 8-10, but head-to-head was split, and record against the top team(s) would give Northeastern the tiebreaker. W&M at JMU is at 4:00 P.M. at the same time as us, and Charleston is at UNCW at 7:00 P.M.
Hofstra wrote:
No excuse for the building to be loaded with opposing fans. We are the 1 seed, less than 5 hours away.. March Madness, no excuses for those fans packing the building not to be ours.
It's a fact that W&M has the best combination of quality, average attendance, and distance to D.C. W&M gets 43.7 percent higher attendance than us. According to Google Maps, Kaplan Arena is 2:37 away from the Entertainment and Sports Arena (hereafter ESA), and the Mack is 4:27 away. The only teams that don't rank really low in any of those three categories are W&M, Delaware, and us. Ranking the three teams on a 3-2-1 scale, W&M gets 2 for standings position, 3 for leading in attendance, and 2 for the middle in distance to D.C. to lead with 7 points. We get 3 for standings position, 2 for the middle in attendance, and 1 for the farthest from D.C. for 6 points. Delaware gets 1 for standings position, 1 for the worst attendance, and 3 for the closest to D.C. for 5 points. Standings position can change, and if Delaware passes W&M, we remain first, and attendance order remains the same, the point system I made up would give each team 6 points. W&M will finish with the best attendance of the three. Our average attendance is 2,723. Delaware's is 2,480, they list capacity as 5,000, and getting 5,000 today would raise them to 2,674. Considering that our two remaining home games include the possibility of clinching the 1 seed on Thursday or next Saturday and Senior Day, our attendance should increase.

If you are disappointed in how many fans we will have there, imagine owning the Tampa Bay Rays.
Wags

Post by Wags »

Remember that big first-place showdown between Charleston and Hofstra on national TV not that long ago?

Well, the Cougars are now in 5th-place and on a 4-game losing trip after a three-game road swing which had them losing to HU by 13, NU by 14 and UNCW by 13 (68-55, tonight). They are now 9-7 and just a game ahead of NU (8-8), with the Huskies holding a head-to-head tiebreaker. If they don't stop their freefall in the final week coming up, they could finish 6th. That could be dangerous for HU if NU were to finish 5th and win a 4/5 game and face HU in the semis. I think we might want to hope that CofC hangs on to that 5th spot next week.
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

Right now I'm feeling that all the teams in the League need to worry about facing us.
Last edited by HUSID74 on Sun Feb 23, 2020 11:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Polito

Post by Polito »

HU can most definitely afford to get buses of students / university people down there on their own, and damn sure better.

Said before CofC fans have noted concerns w/ Riller and their team since about mid way through... and it's showing.

But hey the conf tourney brings out another level so you never know. They and UD, NU, and the napoleons will all be formidable - but so will the #1 team :P . And some of those others are going to knock each other out clearing some of the path.

Buie came back for a reason. It's time to eat, and nets are on the menu.
Wags

Post by Wags »

Current Standings:

(1) Hofstra 13-3
(2) W&M 12-5
(3) Delaware 10-6
(4) Towson 10-6
(5) Charleston 9-7
(6) Northeastern 8-8
-------------------------
(7) Elon 7-10
(8) Drexel 6-10
(9) UNCW 4-12
(10) JMU 2-14

Remaining schedule - I added a (W) next to who I think will win...

Thu 2/27:
Delaware (W) at Charleston - on CBS Sports Network, at 6 pm ET
Drexel @ UNCW (W)
Towson @ Hofstra (W)
James Madison @ Northeastern (W)

Sat 2/29:
Drexel @ Charleston (W)
Elon @ William & Mary (W)
James Madison @ Hofstra (W)
Delaware (W) @ UNCW

Sun 3/1:
Towson @ Northeastern (W) - on CBS Sports Network, at 4 pm ET

Based on that, I see pretty much chalk (except for a minor 9 over 8 in the first round) - I thought NU could pull off an upset or two from the 6 seed, but I think they might climb up to the 4 seed. Almost went Delaware over W&M in the semis and then HU over Delaware in the finals, but W&M usually brings a good crowd and makes a decent tourney run when they're one of the top teams in the conference. They also swept Delaware this year. I think they're just slightly better.

Predicted Final Standings:

(1) Hofstra 15-3
(2) W&M 13-5
(3) Delaware 12-6
(4) Northeastern 10-8 (4-0 vs. Charleston & Towson)
(5) Charleston 10-8 (2-2 vs. Northeastern & Towson)
(6) Towson 10-8 (0-4 vs. Northeastern & Charleston)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
(7) Elon 7-11
(8) Drexel 6-12
(9) UNCW 5-13
(10) JMU 2-16

CAAT first-round:
(7) Elon over (10) James Madison
(9) UNCW over (8) Drexel

CAAT quarterfinals:
(1) Hofstra over (9) UNCW
(4) Northeastern over (5) Charleston
(3) Delaware over (6) Towson
(2) William & Mary over (7) Elon / (10) James Madison

CAAT semifinals:
(1) Hofstra over (4) Northeastern
(2) William & Mary over (3) Delaware

CAAT finals:
(1) Hofstra over (2) William & Mary

Don't care how HU does it if they can, but the above would be a good way to do it - ousting a former CAAT nemesis (UNCW), beating the defending champs who of course beat HU in the finals last year (NU), and beating the second-best team in the league this year (W&M).

How do others see it based on the current standings and remaining schedule?
Wags

Post by Wags »

Here are this weekend's tiebreaker scenarios:

https://caasports.com/news/2020/2/28/me ... arios.aspx

Tomorrow's game is now huge after last night. Need to take care of business and wrap up the 1 seed. A loss plus a W&M home win over Elon would mean the 2 seed.
Wags

Post by Wags »

Tiebreakers for Towson at Northeastern tomorrow:

Delaware is locked into the 5 seed (lose a 2-way tie with Charleston and a 3-way tie with Charleston & Towson).

If Towson wins:
Towson is the 3 seed
Charleston is the 4 seed

If Towson loses:
Charleston is the 3 seed
Towson is the 4 seed

First Round:
(7) Elon vs. (10) JMU
(8) Drexel vs. (9) UNCW

Quarterfinals:
(1) Hofstra vs. Drexel/UNCW
(2) William & Mary vs. Elon/JMU
(3) Charleston/Towson vs. (6) Northeastern
(4) Charleston/Towson vs. (5) Delaware
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

If we want to avoid Towson, we want them to win tomorrow to be the 3, in which case Northeastern and Towson would play twice in a row.