why is this team different and the same as other Hofstra tea

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
stuball888

why is this team different and the same as other Hofstra tea

Post by stuball888 »

As stated by HUSID 80 and myself earlier in the season this team reminds us of the 1999-2000 team. Both teams lost their superstars and is was left to senior leadership to guide their teams thru the transition. When Speedy left Hernandez Gittens Richardson and Springfield all seniors stepped up their games. This year its seniors Buie and Pemberton doing it. Now after watching the development of Issac Kante one name comes to mind. His footwork down low is great and has developed a great drop step. His inside game reminds me of the great Delaware player Mike Pegues. He is not there yet but if he continues to improve he should get there. Eli reminds me more and more of Norman Richardson.
Now how is this team different. They have become mentally tough. They are a great second half team and have become road warriors. Their road record speaks for itself and why we are all optimistic about our chances in the CAA tourney. The Matchup zone allows players to stay out of foul trouble and is finally looking like a cohesive unit. Kudos to JAM and his staff. This team is fun to watch.
EvanJ

Re: why is this team different and the same as other Hofstra

Post by EvanJ »

Our starters average 18.7, 16.7, 11.9, 11.4, and 10.6. https://www.ncaa.com/news/basketball-me ... s-national has a graphic about the last twenty champions. Only two of them, and none of the last ten, had a leader with at least 18, second player with at least 16, third and fourth players with at least 11, and fifth player with at least 10. North Carolina in 2009 and Duke in 2001 did that.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

EvanJ wrote:Our starters average 18.7, 16.7, 11.9, 11.4, and 10.6. https://www.ncaa.com/news/basketball-me ... s-national has a graphic about the last twenty champions. Only two of them, and none of the last ten, had a leader with at least 18, second player with at least 16, third and fourth players with at least 11, and fifth player with at least 10. North Carolina in 2009 and Duke in 2001 did that.
I think in the 1st instance we're looking to first get into the tourney(19 years) not obsessing about our chances in winning the Tournament not just yet. Will be happy to get there then take one game at a time, lol!!
Flying Dutchmen

Post by Flying Dutchmen »

stuball888 wrote:As stated by HUSID 80 and myself earlier in the season this team reminds us of the 1999-2000 team. Both teams lost their superstars and is was left to senior leadership to guide their teams thru the transition. When Speedy left Hernandez Gittens Richardson and Springfield all seniors stepped up their games. This year its seniors Buie and Pemberton doing it. Now after watching the development of Issac Kante one name comes to mind. His footwork down low is great and has developed a great drop step. His inside game reminds me of the great Delaware player Mike Pegues. He is not there yet but if he continues to improve he should get there. Eli reminds me more and more of Norman Richardson.
Now how is this team different. They have become mentally tough. They are a great second half team and have become road warriors. Their road record speaks for itself and why we are all optimistic about our chances in the CAA tourney. The Matchup zone allows players to stay out of foul trouble and is finally looking like a cohesive unit. Kudos to JAM and his staff. This team is fun to watch.
I'm glad you brought this up Stu. What separates us from the rest of the CAA is we have multiple go-to players, we haven't become over-reliant on Buie to be the guy every game. That was my big concern early in conference play, and it hasn't played out like that. Pemberton and Buie have been steady, but we have gotten big offensive output from Kante, Coburn and Ray have answered the bell when needed to be the big scorers as well.

I think we leaned on JWF to be the offense too much towards the end of last year, and Northeastern surpassed us. I think Charleston and Northeastern are having similar issues this year with Riller and Roland, Delaware and W&M to a certain extent as well.
Hof_Judge99

Post by Hof_Judge99 »

I don’t go back that far but this year we truly feel like favorites. Last year despite the streak and first place finish I think we all knew Northeastern had the best team. In 2016 it was almost a dead heat between us and UNCW. This year I expect us to be favored by 4+ points in every CAA tournament game. No pressure.
Polito

Post by Polito »

I would agree on the multiple go-to's, although HU under JM has had a lot of scoring options each year. But the point of over reliance is extremely valid. Prob one of the biggest culprits to this program wasting top POY talent w/nothing much to show for it. Perhaps not having that has forced the program as a whole, player and staff, to step up do more adjust perform and play as a unit.

Also we have to call out the markedly better D this year. Major impact, as we all have known and been screaming for.

That said, be cautious about comparing this team to Stormin Normans - that team had NCAAT chops from the year prior. This one does not. Winning the CAAT and going dancing will all be brand new for them to navigate. Hope they are up for the mental challenge. Win in the mind and they cut nets.