MBB Game 29 at Delaware on 2/22/2020 at 4:00 P.M.

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
The Shadow

Re: MBB Game 29 at Delaware on 2/22/2020 at 4:00 P.M.

Post by The Shadow »

To Polito, So sorry for the loss in your family.
Hofstra

Post by Hofstra »

Polito, sorry to hear about your loss.

Great win today. Team is ROLLING
daHUPride

Post by daHUPride »

Wags wrote:
Polito wrote:Missed a lot the past few days w/a big loss in the fam, but had to come say what a big time road win against a quality team looking to make their own statement - the D we are seeing right now is not like any under JM since his arrival - this right here could be the difference maker we've been so desperate for - this team is peaking and streaking at the exact right time!

2 more to go, and it's time to GO GET THOSE NETS
Sorry, Polito. My condolences. Hope you and your family are coping okay.
Sorry to hear Polito - Peace.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Polito wrote:Missed a lot the past few days w/a big loss in the fam, but had to come say what a big time road win against a quality team looking to make their own statement - the D we are seeing right now is not like any under JM since his arrival - this right here could be the difference maker we've been so desperate for - this team is peaking and streaking at the exact right time!

Sorry to hear about your family loss Polito and thanks for taking the time to post and reference our D a big part of our success as has been noted over and over by Joe.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Hey Bud sorry for your loss condolences to you and your family
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

Polito, sorry to hear about your loss. Our thoughts are with you and your family.
Cards

Post by Cards »

Wags wrote:We know they have to cut the nets (I think they finally will this year), but for some of the questioning we've seen here (even earlier this year) about the program under Joe and whether he was the right one to lead them to the NCAAT, these facts are undeniable - you have to at least put yourself in the best position possible, and his teams have done that a lot recently:0 CAA titles over Hofstra's first 14 years in the CAA3 CAA titles (shared or outright) in the past 5 years, starting in Joe's third year at Hofstra.Granted, the CAA has become easier to get through, and that's a lot of it, but it's still a very competitive league. When you have 3 first-place finishes in 5 years, you're doing something right. This is also obviously the first time Hofstra has ever clinched back-to-back CAA titles of any kind in men's hoops. So, that's worth celebrating tonight, even before they likely clinch it outright next week.
Facts is facts! Gotta like the trend. Just keep pushing it to the next level.
Flying Dutchmen

Post by Flying Dutchmen »

Sorry to hear that Polito, condolences and best wishes to your family.
daHUPride

Post by daHUPride »

Cards wrote:
Wags wrote:We know they have to cut the nets (I think they finally will this year), but for some of the questioning we've seen here (even earlier this year) about the program under Joe and whether he was the right one to lead them to the NCAAT, these facts are undeniable - you have to at least put yourself in the best position possible, and his teams have done that a lot recently:0 CAA titles over Hofstra's first 14 years in the CAA3 CAA titles (shared or outright) in the past 5 years, starting in Joe's third year at Hofstra.Granted, the CAA has become easier to get through, and that's a lot of it, but it's still a very competitive league. When you have 3 first-place finishes in 5 years, you're doing something right. This is also obviously the first time Hofstra has ever clinched back-to-back CAA titles of any kind in men's hoops. So, that's worth celebrating tonight, even before they likely clinch it outright next week.
Kudos to JAM - for we are now; where we were before him - he is what we needed - he deserves a NCAA spot!!!

JAM grown on me - when he first came I thought he was an Oscar Madison type that just blasted the refs.

His time here -
he has shown conviction to his style of play and how he uses his roster;
there appears to be loyalty to and from his players (we don't have many players that transfer out,; had studs that followed him here) and coaches (stability in his staff, promotes from within);
recruits kids willing to work and improve - kids that haven't (to my knowledge) gotten into trouble;
listening to him/reading about him - hes a coaches coach; a players coach - who appreciates the game, his players and our school.

I hope this is his year!
Wags

Post by Wags »

daHUPride wrote:
Cards wrote:
Kudos to JAM - for we are now; where we were before him - he is what we needed - he deserves a NCAA spot!!!

JAM grown on me - when he first came I thought he was an Oscar Madison type that just blasted the refs.

His time here -
he has shown conviction to his style of play and how he uses his roster;
there appears to be loyalty to and from his players (we don't have many players that transfer out,; had studs that followed him here) and coaches (stability in his staff, promotes from within);
recruits kids willing to work and improve - kids that haven't (to my knowledge) gotten into trouble;
listening to him/reading about him - hes a coaches coach; a players coach - who appreciates the game, his players and our school.

I hope this is his year!
Also, kudos to the rest of the staff. Speedy recruited JWF, who helped build the foundation for this year's team to possibly go the next step. And, Joe would be the first to say (and he has said it this year) that Farrelly, Curtin and Speedy have done a great job with scouting opposing teams (especially opposing teams' offenses and what they run) and with the defense overall, and particularly with the zone defense, which right now, is among the biggest reasons this year's team is in great position to finally cut the nets. Obviously, still a lot of work over the next 2 1/2 weeks to get there, but the staff working with the players (who deserve the most credit for executing the D) have stepped it up a lot this year. Everyone's on the same page, the zone moves together as a unit this year, and we see the results in all of the times they've won this year while holding teams in the 60s, even when they're still scoring in the 70s (like yesterday). Cobian has also done a good job, and even Prendergast and Malings have helped to keep the team physically strong and healthy all season (even with the attacking and many trips to the FT line). Good job all around, players and staff. Now, just have to finish the job 16 nights from tonight.
Polito

Post by Polito »

Thank you everyone for the kind words, it is much appreciated.

Felt I should chime in on the JM takes as I have been increasingly hard on this staff over the years. I fully agree JM & Co. have done a very very good job of getting this program back on the right/winning track, and not only putting HU in a position to compete for the top spot every year, but to keep the program there.

I have actually noted many of JM & Co. strengths over the years, from recruiting to integrity to bleeding HU to reviving this program from the dead.

As much as I have been extremely frustrated and disappointed in their inability to address glaring D issues literally holding this program back every yr until now, I am equally thrilled to see them correct it this year.

This may not be popular but I do not 'free' them of choking away conf POYs, #1 spots, etc. This program should have gone dancing at least once already, probably twice, if this staff had bothered to fix themselves sooner. HU has literally wasted talent and opportunity. And they own that.

But I love what I'm seeing right now (can't not!), and they deserve the same credit for this exciting finale to another quality year - to be in this position the yr after JWF leaves is remarkable, and whether they were picked first or not (likely just by default), no one can convince me they expected this.

I half-jokingly noted at the beginning of the year that it would be soooo JM/HU to have this yr be the won they get the job done lol - and they very well may!
Wags

Post by Wags »

Polito wrote:Thank you everyone for the kind words, it is much appreciated.

Felt I should chime in on the JM takes as I have been increasingly hard on this staff over the years. I fully agree JM & Co. have done a very very good job of getting this program back on the right/winning track, and not only putting HU in a position to compete for the top spot every year, but to keep the program there.

I have actually noted many of JM & Co. strengths over the years, from recruiting to integrity to bleeding HU to reviving this program from the dead.

As much as I have been extremely frustrated and disappointed in their inability to address glaring D issues literally holding this program back every yr until now, I am equally thrilled to see them correct it this year.

This may not be popular but I do not 'free' them of choking away conf POYs, #1 spots, etc. This program should have gone dancing at least once already, probably twice, if this staff had bothered to fix themselves sooner. HU has literally wasted talent and opportunity. And they own that.

But I love what I'm seeing right now (can't not!), and they deserve the same credit for this exciting finale to another quality year - to be in this position the yr after JWF leaves is remarkable, and whether they were picked first or not (likely just by default), no one can convince me they expected this.

I half-jokingly noted at the beginning of the year that it would be soooo JM/HU to have this yr be the won they get the job done lol - and they very well may!
I think this is fair. The conference tourney is a crap shoot, but when you're the 1 seed twice (like they were in 2016 and last year), and you do what you should both times and get to the finals both times, you should probably win the tourney at least one of those two times. Last year, NU was just the better team. They were so close in 2016 and probably should've won that game in regulation instead of losing it in OT. This year, they'll be the 1 seed again. Compared to where the program was in the CAA, having never won a regular-season title in the first 14 years in the league, to now doing that 3 times in the past 5 years, is a great accomplishment on its own, even if they fail to reach the NCAAT tourney again this year. But, if they go 0-for-3 as the 1 seed, it'll be short of getting the job done. It's sometimes cruel that three great seasons in five years each boil down to three days in March each time, but we all know that's how this works. Not to add any extra pressure, but because of 2016 and 2019, they have to get it done this year. I think they will though.
daHUPride

Post by daHUPride »

Wags wrote:
Polito wrote:Thank you everyone for the kind words, it is much appreciated.

I think this is fair. The conference tourney is a crap shoot, but when you're the 1 seed twice (like they were in 2016 and last year), and you do what you should both times and get to the finals both times, you should probably win the tourney at least one of those two times. Last year, NU was just the better team. They were so close in 2016 and probably should've won that game in regulation instead of losing it in OT. This year, they'll be the 1 seed again. Compared to where the program was in the CAA, having never won a regular-season title in the first 14 years in the league, to now doing that 3 times in the past 5 years, is a great accomplishment on its own, even if they fail to reach the NCAAT tourney again this year. But, if they go 0-for-3 as the 1 seed, it'll be short of getting the job done. It's sometimes cruel that three great seasons in five years each boil down to three days in March each time, but we all know that's how this works. Not to add any extra pressure, but because of 2016 and 2019, they have to get it done this year. I think they will though.
Also agree with what Polito mentions above.
We certainly have had talented teams under JAM before/we have been seeded in the top before and have come out of the CAA tourney with zip. He doesn't get a pass there. The tourney is hard/it takes 3 good games against increasingly tougher opponents over 3 days...but no excuses-our opponents are playing the same 3 day schedule.
I have hope every year - and I have hope THIS is the year!
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

Overall pretty much in agreement with all said but to use the word "choke" is a bit too extreme for my taste.

In 2016 if Juanya Green had any kind of game we win that one going away, and missing those late free throws at the end was just mind boggling. As for last year Northeastern was and Wags pointed out the better team.

I too am feeling very optimistic about this year especially after what we did to Delaware at their place this past Saturday.

I have said all along that when this team gets a lead in the second half it is money in the bank, we will not lose it with or composure, ball handling and with the leadership of Desure.

This team feels to me like the team that danced AFTER Speedy graduated...that team, led by Norman Richardson danced and almost upset UCLA....
Wags

Post by Wags »

HUSID74 wrote:Overall pretty much in agreement with all said but to use the word "choke" is a bit too extreme for my taste.

In 2016 if Juanya Green had any kind of game we win that one going away, and missing those late free throws at the end was just mind boggling. As for last year Northeastern was and Wags pointed out the better team.

I too am feeling very optimistic about this year especially after what we did to Delaware at their place this past Saturday.

I have said all along that when this team gets a lead in the second half it is money in the bank, we will not lose it with or composure, ball handling and with the leadership of Desure.

This team feels to me like the team that danced AFTER Speedy graduated...that team, led by Norman Richardson danced and almost upset UCLA....
Only this year, they DID upset UCLA, so who knows if they dance? :D
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

I don't want to comment too much in this thread that will be better served when we start the thread for the CAA tourney and after we officially win the CAA championship by ourselves. As everyone has stated and I'll paraphrase; we are a battle tested team with senior players that have played together for quite a while now. Throw Kante into the mix and the way he is playing. Buie is over the top amazing just such an effortless scorer that is exemplary in every aspect of his game. Last year we looked around to see where Justin was and gave him the ball while the other 4 players on the court watched. Now we're more balanced and while Buie plays a lot of one on one with offensive sets built to complement his game everyone on this team is involved and capable of scoring. We're peaking at the right time and as long as Eli keeps playing with the resolve that he has been playing with we are a team that's destined to win this thing finally. Lets win the remaining games at home and take no prisoners in winning the CAA tourney.