MBB Recruits 2020

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
cactus
Site Admin

Re: MBB Recruits 2020

Post by cactus »

HofstraMathew wrote:
cactus wrote:
HUSID74 wrote:Looks like we're going after a few bigs; we offered 6-9 shot blocker Ibrahima Jarjou, who's 225 pounds...many mid majors have offered including Iona.

We also offered Xavier Valley, a 6-7 180 pounder who has some interesting offers including VCU.
Sounds like they might have a potential transfer out since almost all their offers for the last spot to date have been to point guard types.
Wouldn't PG be our biggest need if no one transfers out? Maybe you could say a 3 but I think Coburn will slide down to that spot and Trueheart/Cramer will play the 4.

5- Kante, Schutte, and Hughes (or you could put Hughes at the 4)0
4 - Trueheart, Cramer, and Green
3-2 - Coburn, Ray, Silverio, Miranda, and Bethea
1- Burgess

So even if you assume limited to no playing time for Hughes and Miranda I would still say PG is the biggest need.
Yes that is why offers out today to bigs were curious when they almost all were to point guards previously

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
HofstraMathew

Post by HofstraMathew »

cactus wrote:
HofstraMathew wrote:
cactus wrote:Sounds like they might have a potential transfer out since almost all their offers for the last spot to date have been to point guard types.
Wouldn't PG be our biggest need if no one transfers out? Maybe you could say a 3 but I think Coburn will slide down to that spot and Trueheart/Cramer will play the 4.

5- Kante, Schutte, and Hughes (or you could put Hughes at the 4)0
4 - Trueheart, Cramer, and Green
3-2 - Coburn, Ray, Silverio, Miranda, and Bethea
1- Burgess

So even if you assume limited to no playing time for Hughes and Miranda I would still say PG is the biggest need.
Yes that is why offers out today to bigs were curious when they almost all were to point guards previously

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
Sorry misread your post. Yes definitely agree with you then. Unless they just have confidence in Burgess and are going for best available player.
Cards

Post by Cards »

As a potential backup to IK (and KS) until they graduate (two more years), I'd be happy with Jarjou. I know its only a short video, but given he would have time to further develop, he looks good to me. Good size at 6'9" 220, built like he is 21-22 years old and spending time in the weight room, moves real well and appears very athletic for 6'9". Looks like one of those guys that just has a nose for the ball (something that is impossible to teach). Give this guy a year or two to learn the system and hone some more offensive skills - I think he could really be a good pickup. In the video he looks more like a guy coming out of a JUCO than a guy you could have for 4 years --Am I missing something???

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rif1ORoC6O4
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

Cards wrote:As a potential backup to IK (and KS) until they graduate (two more years), I'd be happy with Jarjou. I know its only a short video, but given he would have time to further develop, he looks good to me. Good size at 6'9" 220, built like he is 21-22 years old and spending time in the weight room, moves real well and appears very athletic for 6'9". Looks like one of those guys that just has a nose for the ball (something that is impossible to teach). Give this guy a year or two to learn the system and hone some more offensive skills - I think he could really be a good pickup. In the video he looks more like a guy coming out of a JUCO than a guy you could have for 4 years --Am I missing something???

Sign him up! Would be nice to have a rim protector...something we don't currently have!
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

HUSID74 wrote:
Cards wrote:As a potential backup to IK (and KS) until they graduate (two more years), I'd be happy with Jarjou. I know its only a short video, but given he would have time to further develop, he looks good to me. Good size at 6'9" 220, built like he is 21-22 years old and spending time in the weight room, moves real well and appears very athletic for 6'9". Looks like one of those guys that just has a nose for the ball (something that is impossible to teach). Give this guy a year or two to learn the system and hone some more offensive skills - I think he could really be a good pickup. In the video he looks more like a guy coming out of a JUCO than a guy you could have for 4 years --Am I missing something???

Sign him up! Would be nice to have a rim protector...something we don't currently have!
Big players are harder to get especially guys that can actually play so yes would be nice to have an enforcer type of post player but please tell me we are going to land another PG, PLEASE!!
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

It will be dicey to add another PG...what does that say to Burgess...I think the staff will be looking but won't bring in someone unless he is clearly better and or has some more experience.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

HUSID74 wrote:It will be dicey to add another PG...what does that say to Burgess...I think the staff will be looking but won't bring in someone unless he is clearly better and or has some more experience.
They have recruited PG's for next year and I think it says that we know you're not going to play 40 minutes or they need to have a backup if he gets hurt or is in foul trouble. Do you see this in a different viewpoint that someone else will play the point. We kinda saw some ball handling weaknesses on the part of Ray when he got his pocket picked a few times against the COC. It's possible they think that Omar can play the position. We're losing a lot at that position when Buie graduates so this is a very important position come next year.
Flying Dutchmen

Post by Flying Dutchmen »

We desperately need a PG for next season. I like Burgess, he can definitely play some minutes here, but he can't shoot, and that will never fly in our 4 Out system. You can't go into next season with Burgess as a projected starter. It seems like a long shot to land Hutchins, so I would favor going the Graduate route, and see if Burgess can develop his shot over the next season or two.
Cards

Post by Cards »

I would vote for more PG help as the primary concern. CB is a good long term addition to the team, but he has not garnered that much playing time/experience this year and will not get much more the rest of the season. Even if he plays more next season, he will not log minutes like DB, so we will need more PG minutes from someone. I would go either for the stud like Hutchins or the JUCO with experience. I don't think a typical freshman PG will be able to help that much next season (to the extent that I think we'll need help).

All that being said, and as others have mentioned, maybe OS has the skills to answer the bell. JR can help out a little, but I don't think he is the answer. I've seen some indications that Zion has some PG history, so maybe he's a guy that JAM will be looking towards.

I think next year may be a season where we don't have a truly guard dominated offense/team. I could see TC moving to the 3 and then having ST, Cramer and Green split up the 4. That would leave JR, OS, CB + PG? with the bulk of the 1 and 2 playing time. JM and other pickups get the rest.
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

No way with Silverio, Ray is the secondary ball handler now but he is not a PG.

We don't know what Burgess is because he has not played much, only in some defensive situations, much like Buie was used as a freshman if you recall. Who would have known he turn out to be the player he is for us this year.
Cards

Post by Cards »

HUSID74 wrote:No way with Silverio, Ray is the secondary ball handler now but he is not a PG.

We don't know what Burgess is because he has not played much, only in some defensive situations, much like Buie was used as a freshman if you recall. Who would have known he turn out to be the player he is for us this year.
You may be right about CB HUSID, he may turn out to be a great PG for us. But given the uncertainty I think we need a near-term insurance policy.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Caleb Burgess plays the point no question about that super quick and can create turnovers and to make statements like he can't shoot is just pre-mature. We have seen him shoot and initially he hasn't looked good but I would bet that he's a much better shooter then we realize. I wonder what he scored in his senior year in H.S. Maybe he doesn't shoot the 3 but he will get points going to the rack and also picking up fouls. He does have a mid-range game but we really do need an insurance policy for a multitude of reasons. At times everybody will bring up the ball but we have seen both Coburn and Ray turn the ball over when they get pressed. I feel pretty confident that we get another PG WITHOUT KNOWING what Zion brings to the table.

I do like the comment that we will not be so much of a guard driven team next year. We will have guys that can block shots in the paint like Cramer and I'm anxious to see him play he looks like he will be an exciting player with highlight dunks. He hasn't had that brace on his leg for quite a while and looks very mobile.
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

We will always be guard oriented. It's how you roll with Joe and mid major basketball.
daHUPride

Post by daHUPride »

HUSID74 wrote:We will always be guard oriented. It's how you roll with Joe and mid major basketball.
Its that simple - its Joes style/system - its how we recruit - and unless 2 or 3 bigs fall to us it aint going change -
Polito

Post by Polito »

HU can, will, and should add another PG behind Burgess. That's D1 sports, push to be the best, everything earned.

Also, I'm still very high on CB. And would like to state here that he can absolutely score. He just needs to develop - literally just like Buie who don't forget did very little his first yr, looked lost and couldn't find the basket to save his life. CB is a dog w/real talent on both sides of the ball, can hit from deep and drive to the basket. He's got the ability to flourish, just needs time. I think next yr he gets his D1 feet under him, and we're going to see a stud in 2 yrs, just like DB.

And having some fire under his butt w/another waiting in the wings will only help push the growth. And if a different truth shows, then HU will have smartly protected themselves at the position.

Make the dance, and I would bet the Hutchins chances go way up.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Polito well stated You dont judge a recruit until his junior and senior year. Schutte while not a starting center has turned into a useful bench player and he should be more polished next year. Look at Kantes development
budman

Post by budman »

I heard from a good source we are no longer recruiting Hutchins .
Polito

Post by Polito »

Ah, ok. Interesting.

We'll see what happens on the PG front - some here have noted, others seem to be trying to plug squares into circles, but IMO there's not a single other player on this roster that can play the position effectively/properly other than CB. So they are going to need another next year either way.
HofstraMathew

Post by HofstraMathew »

budman wrote:I heard from a good source we are no longer recruiting Hutchins .
Speedy posted on Instagram today he was in Bradenton Fl. Is your source accurate we aren’t recruiting him anymore?
cactus
Site Admin

Post by cactus »

Hofstra gets their experienced point (although he is class of 2020)

h/t Dooku

https://twitter.com/AdamFinkelstein/sta ... 42720?s=19
Hofstra has landed a commitment from Hoosac (NY) guard Vukasin Masic, who played with the Serbian u18 national team this summer.

Big lead guard who can play on & off the ball. Very experienced with mature floor game. Should be able to step right in for the Pride.