One Time Transfer Rule

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
Flying Dutchmen

One Time Transfer Rule

Post by Flying Dutchmen »

https://www.si.com/college/2020/02/18/n ... nge-waiver

What does everybody think about this potential rule change? I think it's bad news for the CAA honestly, the major conferences will prey on our upperclassmen.
stuball888

Re: One Time Transfer Rule

Post by stuball888 »

Simple if they come after our best players dont grant them a release
HofstraMathew

Post by HofstraMathew »

I mean you already have the graduate transfer rule which allows immediate eligibility and they seem to be pretty lax in the past couple years in issuing waivers (such as the one Silverio received) for family reasons. If a player wants to transfer they will; Hofstra has done a fairly good job in not having transfers out.
Hofstra

Post by Hofstra »

Flying Dutchmen wrote:https://www.si.com/college/2020/02/18/n ... nge-waiver

What does everybody think about this potential rule change? I think it's bad news for the CAA honestly, the major conferences will prey on our upperclassmen.
Agree. A lot of players might 'chip chase. Wont bode well for mid majors in general.

Stu, to not grant them release isn't doing right by the student athlete. Would paint the school in the wrong light. Might even deter people from coming here to play.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Hofstra wrote:

Agree. A lot of players might 'chip chase. Wont bode well for mid majors in general.

Stu, to not grant them release isn't doing right by the student athlete. Would paint the school in the wrong light. Might even deter people from coming here to play.
Honestly right off the top of my head I believe quite the opposite could be true. We already have Coburn from Bonaventure, Kante from Georgia and Silverio from Rhode Island. Yes two of the three had to sit but I feel we're more in a position to get transfers then to lose them. Without having any kind of data in front of me and knowing that IMO a lot of these kids transfer when they realize they're not going to get the playing time they want mid majors have everything to gain and nothing to lose. I absolutely love it and this will be I believe a home run in most situations for mid majors who r more in a position to give these kids the playing time they're looking for. Obviously there r other reasons kids want to transfer but I think lack of playing time would be maybe the biggest reason.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

My other thought re this is that the transfer portal is already inundated with kids who are transferring knowing full well that most of them will have to sit out a year if this happens we will have a major deluge of basketball players and kids in other sports transferring with no deterrent in place. Is there likelihood that this could pass because its been on the table before and the thinking was college should be academics first and athletics taking a back seat. They don't want kids leap frogging from one school to the next because of sports.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Didnt StJoes refuse to release a player from his scholly a few years back
Hofstra

Post by Hofstra »

triplec2195 wrote:
Hofstra wrote:

Honestly right off the top of my head I believe quite the opposite could be true. We already have Coburn from Bonaventure, Kante from Georgia and Silverio from Rhode Island. Yes two of the three had to sit but I feel we're more in a position to get transfers then to lose them. Without having any kind of data in front of me and knowing that IMO a lot of these kids transfer when they realize they're not going to get the playing time they want mid majors have everything to gain and nothing to lose. I absolutely love it and this will be I believe a home run in most situations for mid majors who r more in a position to give these kids the playing time they're looking for. Obviously there r other reasons kids want to transfer but I think lack of playing time would be maybe the biggest reason.
https://www.espn.com/mens-college-baske ... 20-2020-21
You bring up Kante and Coburn which are true, but look at the names on the second half of this page, halfway down. The players listed are top notch players, for the most part at big name schools, not many mid majors on that list of players waiting a year.
cactus
Site Admin

Post by cactus »

Could go both ways - you more easily and more frequently lose the diamonds in the rough that you've developed and know the program, but guys like Horton etc. were already transferring out. But you can more easily nab higher rated recruits that weren't getting playing time elsewhere, but they'll take time to assimilate. Almost certainly the volume of movement will significantly increase.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

stuball888 wrote:Didnt StJoes refuse to release a player from his scholly a few years back
This would be the exception not the rule Stu!
Flying Dutchmen

The fact the major conferences are backing the one time transfer rule means they believe they will benefit from the change, it's not some altruistic pursuit. We've been lucky that our best players have remained loyal to our program. Drexel, for example, has not had that same luck.

I don't have a strong moral opinion on the matter, it will probably benefit some players, it may even benefit our program, I just don't see how the CAA's top talent will not get cherry-picked by the power conferences.
dan10

Post by dan10 »

It will go both ways but it will make the CAA weaker overall as typically the best players in the conference are upperclassmen. Our top tier guys will get picked off. So the Nathan Knights likely don't stay at W&M. Same with Riller. The way to deter this is to make sure there are academic impacts to the schools. Transfers seemingly don't affect APR ratings, same with 1 and done players. If the NCAA wanted to truly implement 1 free transfer then they need to implement that if a player doesn't graduate while being awarded a scholarship, and this means all types of players, it has to have an effect on a school's APR and they have to be willing to punish scholarships and NCAA tournaments to the big boys as well. Without that I imagine it will be a net loss for the mids and low majors and a gain for the majors. It would truly make tiers within basketball division 1 where mids and low majors would merely be a minor league training ground for the power conferences. The smaller guys would pick up the scraps from majors who are not getting playing time.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Let me say that all this could be much ado about nothing since this proposal could be dead in the water based on prior positions taken by the NCAA apparently placing an emphasis on academics over sports. This remains to be seen but now it's not uncommon for grad students to leave to go to bigger schools and not have to sit out. Where this rule change would behoove mid majors is the more common kid who transfers after his freshman or sophomore year more likely then not to get more playing time E.G. Bernardi,Kante, Coburn etc. etc. These are not the blue chip prospects mentioned in the transfer portal these are by and large 2&3 star recruits maybe kids that are high mid major prospects. These are the kids that mid major schools would now get with more frequency.

BTW the comment by Dan10 re Nathan Knight I don't agree with and we have discussed this in many prior posts when all these kids jumped ship. Knight stuck to his guns and stayed the course he apparently has strong convictions about the school which is a fine institution. Maybe he just felt an overwhelming loyalty or both but he had his choice and he made it. You have to give him some credit for staying.
dan10

Post by dan10 »

triplec2195 wrote: BTW the comment by Dan10 re Nathan Knight I don't agree with and we have discussed this in many prior posts when all these kids jumped ship. Knight stuck to his guns and stayed the course he apparently has strong convictions about the school which is a fine institution. Maybe he just felt an overwhelming loyalty or both but he had his choice and he made it. You have to give him some credit for staying.
An an outsider I do not frequent your boards often, so I cannot comment on what has been discussed prior. As far as Knight all the rumblings i heard (some from W&M folks themselves) were he didnt have enough credits to graduate so it was an academic reason to why he didnt or couldnt transfer. It was not necessarily his desire to stay but he didn't have a lot of choice in the matter.
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

We are very fortunate that kids do not leave Hofstra. Joe and his staff have done a great job attracting and RETAINING talent...I can't think of ANYONE of any importance who has left us during his seven years here...
Flying Dutchmen

Plus if Knight had the opportunity to leave after his Sophomore season without having to sit out a year, it would have changed his decision making process. Honestly, maybe even JWF too. He tested the waters his senior year, if a top 15 program had a starting guard opportunity for him, at the very least he would have had to consider it.

My concern lies with the comment Dan made about further defining tiers of college basketball. I agree with that sentiment, it almost leads to a point where the top 60 programs should just break away from the rest of the NCAA; in football and basketball, that's clearly what they want to do. Also, as a Hofstra fan I think it would made the sport less interesting if our best players will pick up and leave for greener pastures. Not saying they can't now, but the redshirt year is a deterrent from making that decision unless you really want to make a change.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

dan10 wrote:
triplec2195 wrote: BTW the comment by Dan10 re Nathan Knight I don't agree with and we have discussed this in many prior posts when all these kids jumped ship. Knight stuck to his guns and stayed the course he apparently has strong convictions about the school which is a fine institution. Maybe he just felt an overwhelming loyalty or both but he had his choice and he made it. You have to give him some credit for staying.
An an outsider I do not frequent your boards often, so I cannot comment on what has been discussed prior. As far as Knight all the rumblings i heard (some from W&M folks themselves) were he didnt have enough credits to graduate so it was an academic reason to why he didnt or couldnt transfer. It was not necessarily his desire to stay but he didn't have a lot of choice in the matter.
Thanks for the inside info. Dan as we're not always privy to this kind of info.
Polito

Post by Polito »

Bad for CAA, good for HU.

And this has been shown to be the case for the last couple of years. Under JM, HU has flourished w/better transfers in and zero studs out. The CAA has been devastated by this. I.E. good for HU.

So I'm quite fine with this, at least while this coaching staff is here - they have proven their ability to deftly navigate such w/masterful skill, and retain talent better than any program in this conf, period.