MBB Game 28 at Drexel on 2/20/2020 at 7:00 P.M.

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
Hofstra

Re: MBB Game 28 at Drexel on 2/20/2020 at 7:00 P.M.

Post by Hofstra »

Awesome win. Love beating Drexel
Hofstra

Post by Hofstra »

HUSID74 wrote:Where is everyone? Good gut check win against a team with a great home record. We hold serve against the rest of the CAA. Kante awesome with 20 points and I think 8-8 from the line. Desure as usual controlling the game with 26 and Eli with 19, most in the second half.

Our vaunted bench with no points.
Well said. I am worried that in a 3 day tournament for us we wear down due to the lack of bench support.
Wags

Post by Wags »

Hofstra wrote:
HUSID74 wrote:Where is everyone? Good gut check win against a team with a great home record. We hold serve against the rest of the CAA. Kante awesome with 20 points and I think 8-8 from the line. Desure as usual controlling the game with 26 and Eli with 19, most in the second half.

Our vaunted bench with no points.
Well said. I am worried that in a 3 day tournament for us we wear down due to the lack of bench support.
It's possible it could cost them, but this is who they are. There may be a key stretch here or there over the three days when Schutte and/or Trueheart make a significant contribution for a few minutes in a game or two, but that's it. That IS the bench. Silverio might be a part of that too, but doubtful. He hasn't done much, hasn't really appeared much in over a month. I think too much is made of this though. If they don't get it done, it'll likely be far more about lack of execution than fatigue. Regardless, they're built the way they're built and that's not changing now. They are basically their five starters and not much else. It's not ideal, but it can be done. Delaware did it that way when they won the CAAT in 2014, with essentially their five starters winning the title and their bench not playing or contributing much more than what Hofstra's bench is contributing this year. The best way Hofstra can deal with that next month is to do what a 1 seed (if they finish the job and hang on to that seed) should do, and beat the 8 or 9 easily in the first game, and rest some starters over the final 8-10 minutes, to save them for the next two days. Beyond that, don't expect anyone other than the five starters to do the vast majority of what needs to be done in D.C. to cut the nets.
dan10

Post by dan10 »

Most of our fans monitor csnbbs but post on a slack channel as well as twitter. In any case, fun game, quite the battle. We couldn't get any stops when we needed them. Both teams were hot shooting teams last night, as expected you guys got to the rim all day and to the FT line. Bummed we didnt force you to take more 3's. Enjoy the top seed, hopefully Drexel can avoid you guys completely as you are just a bad matchup for us. I thought we played one of our better games and still came up short.

As far as the quelled rivalry, I agree. Hofstra doesnt have anyone that is really worth hating like you have had in the past. Different personalities under Joe than your previous admins. Doesn't help that Drexel has been noncompetitive for nearly a decade too. Has killed the rivalry as well as our own fans attendance to make those games more fun. Was still a battle and probably enjoyable game for your fans who traveled down
Cards

Post by Cards »

Just weighing in here - agree with all that has been said - solid games for DB, IK, and EP.

A couple of observations:
Last five minutes DB forgot he had team mates on the court. I know we want the ball in his hands, but he was forcing shots and monopolizing the ball. We still need to move the ball a bit while keeping it in reliable hands. On several possessions, DB had the ball for 25-29 seconds, was the only guy to touch the rock, and forced a shot.

IKs offensive game has really taken off. With his back to the basket and shooting high percentage shots, he is really tough to stop. Then add his much improved free throw shooting and he has become quite an offensive force. His D and rebounding have improved also, but not at the same pace as his O. Interestingly, I think that for the next few years, the 5 spot will be a key component of our offense. I think IK will be putting up 15+ per game for the next few years. When was the last time that HU had someone in the 5 that was relied upon for that type of offensive production?

TC looks like he is trying to add more driving and aggressively taking it to the hoop into his game. I am all for it, as next year we will need that from him. For now though, its till looks to be a work in progress. Same can be said for JR. He's much further along in that regard, but he's not yet up to the EP of DB level.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

dan10 predicted us to win 84-60, so we covered the spread but not his expectations.
Hof_Judge99 wrote: W&M has two cupcakes left so they’ll probably be 13-5 and hold the tiebreaker (since they swept Delaware) meaning we’d have to win 2 of the last 3 to get the #1 seed. Very doable but if we drop Saturday’s game they’ll be some pressure to hold serve at home both Thursday and Saturday. I’m assuming the spread for Saturday will be right around PK, huge game, and a good test to see exactly where we are.
If we lose at Delaware and W&M wins at JMU, the 1 seed will be decided on the final Saturday. If that happens, beating Towson will be sufficient to clinch over Delaware, but not to clinch over W&M, who has off Thursday. W&M ends hosting Elon, and W&M will get the 1 seed if they win both and we lose at Delaware and split or lose both at home. W&M swept Delaware, so they would win a two-way tie over Delaware if they win two, we lose three, and Delaware wins three, and would win a three-way tie with Delaware and us.
Cards wrote: I think IK will be putting up 15+ per game for the next few years. When was the last time that HU had someone in the 5 that was relied upon for that type of offensive production?
Gustys' highest average was 13.5 as a sophomore. The only 5 to average at least 15 for us in the CAA was Adeleke's 16.1 in 2002-2003, when we went 8-21.
Cards

Post by Cards »

Thanks Evan - almost 20 years, Wow
dan10

Post by dan10 »

EvanJ wrote:dan10 predicted us to win 84-60, so we covered the spread but not his expectations.
We scored and shot better than I expected. You guys are just a tough matchup for our team this season. I am glad we stayed close the entire way. Wish we could have won, obviously