Omar Silverio

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
HUSID74

Omar Silverio

Post by HUSID74 »

Does anyone have any word on Silverio? He was not on the bench Saturday vs. Northeastern and no one has said a word.

Very strange!
Hof_Judge99

Re: Omar Silverio

Post by Hof_Judge99 »

HUSID74 wrote:Does anyone have any word on Silverio? He was not on the bench Saturday vs. Northeastern and no one has said a word.

Very strange!

I wish nothing but the best for Omar and his family but as far as the team goes the longer he’s away the better we are. He’s a chucker and not a good one at that. No offense to the guy but it would be a big help for us if he didn’t come back.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Not knowing what his situation is becomes problematic drawing any conclusions but if he's having family issues we're certainly empathetic to this. Some times I feel that once a label is put on someone here that label is hard to remove specifically the knocks on Kante early in the season. When you look at Omar's stats he's playing 12.4 minutes a game shooting FG'S at 32% and three's at 32%. His FT % is 75%. His 3 point % is very similar to Eli's. If you were to extrapolate his numbers for 40 minutes he would be scoring over 12 points a game. He has scored in double figures at least 4 times and has come close in other games playing limited minutes. While he has shot his share of air balls he's not alone in this category. Maybe I just like what I believe his game could be he certainly has made contributions to this team and if he continues to play I believe he will keep on contributing.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

He shoots threes similar to Pemberton, but he's made one-third of his twos. His field goal percentage is .322, and the worst field goal percentage from the 55 CAA players with at least 100 attempts is .338 by Elon's Hunter Woods, who at least averages 6.3 rebounds. I'm not saying he won't improve, but we don't want a player shooting that poorly to be a starter or even a bench player averaging 23.1 minutes like Ray last season. I'm not saying I want Silverio to be unavailable. Given how little we use our bench and hoping that Silverio will improve with experience, I want him to play a little, but not a lot. In our last eight games, Klementowicz played 1 minute and Miranda and Gibson Jr. haven't played, so we're only using two guards off the bench. I don't see how two guys who are bench players now can start next season to replace Buie and Pemberton without a big decline.
HofstraMathew

Post by HofstraMathew »

I hope he is back soon and whatever has been keeping him away is settled in the best manner possible for him.

On a basketball note when we were invited to the scrimmage pre-season I ended up watching him taking some shots with one of the coaches after the scrimmage and he was basically hitting every shot he took. Yes practice is different from the game but who knows if whatever is going on outside of basketball has been affecting him. If it is that or just general nerves hopefully everything is worked out in the off season because I think he has a real role on this team next year if not later in this season.
Cards

Post by Cards »

I'm willing to give him time to develop and work things out. Recall, like IK, OS did not come to HU with a lot of D1 playing time. Look at the turnaround that IK has made from early OOC to midseason CAA schedule. And note that IK has been getting lots of minutes to bring about the turn around. I think OS should be given time, because I think we all believe he is talented.
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

Ok, so where is he? Anyone have any insights? Has he been practicing? Is he sick? Did he leave the team?

Last time there was an illness in his family...this time crickets!
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

HofstraMathew wrote:I hope he is back soon and whatever has been keeping him away is settled in the best manner possible for him.

On a basketball note when we were invited to the scrimmage pre-season I ended up watching him taking some shots with one of the coaches after the scrimmage and he was basically hitting every shot he took. Yes practice is different from the game but who knows if whatever is going on outside of basketball has been affecting him. If it is that or just general nerves hopefully everything is worked out in the off season because I think he has a real role on this team next year if not later in this season.
Thanks to everyone here who has made objective positive comments re this kid and what we see and have seen practice or otherwise. We have gotten a little crazy here and we aren't even losing. Recruited and given a scholarship by URI this couldn't have been just a coincidence and recruited by us and getting high praise from Joe time and time again and giving him minutes. We know his pedigree from H.S. This kid is going to make his mark here IMO stop comparing him to someone who is getting twice the minutes and is 3 inches taller then him! For some reason I remember a kid called Justin Wright-Foreman who didn't play much as a freshman and even into his sophomore year wasn't starting initially and we all know how that ended. I'm not saying Silverio is Foreman but give the kid a chance before you banish him to the DOGHOUSE!!

So yeah getting back to the point in question WHAT HAPPENED TO HIM?? This all could be a moot issue?
Flying Dutchmen

Post by Flying Dutchmen »

No mention of Silverio in the coaches report today, I'll ask Thursday in the lounge.
Polito

Post by Polito »

Ditto on the well wishes...

I too believe in his potential and fully willing to give him more time here - if a guard can right their ship anywhere, it is definitely here under JM's system. Let's see how it plays out. Really hasn't had enough PT yet to say yay or nay IMO, but his raw ability is there - just needs to mature things.

If he's not on a better track midway through next year, then it's prob a wrap. But we'll see.

Hope health, family, etc. are all on the up.
HofstraMathew

Post by HofstraMathew »

Was asked in the lounge pre game and the answer was Omar was sick last Thursday through Saturday.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Was with the team but didn't get into the game yesterday!
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

With a double-digit lead and a game fewer than 48 hours later, he should have played. Not that he's close to the CAA leaders in any categories, but if he doesn't play tomorrow, he will fall below 75 percent of our games that players need to qualify, and our starters and Schutte would be our only six players who qualify. In all eighteen of our complete seasons in the CAA, we have had at least seven players qualify.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

I believe he had 6 points against COC when we played them earlier. He looked very normal in practice I thought yesterday. It seems like they were looking for some D when they put in Burgess who only played 4 minutes.