MBB: Game 23 vs Elon on 1/30/20 at 7:00P.M.

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
EvanJ

Re: MBB: Game 23 vs Elon on 1/30/20 at 7:00P.M.

Post by EvanJ »

Wags wrote:
EvanJ wrote:Kante made all 6 free throws and has shot 15-17 (.882) in his last three games to raise his percentage from 34-59 (.576) to 49-76 (.645). .645 is an okay free throw percentage for a guy who shoots near the basket. Our percentage of .774 is 16th of 353 teams.

https://gohofstra.com/news/2020/1/30/me ... ctory.aspx is Hofstra's recap titled "MBB: Pemberton And Buie Lead Hofstra To Convincing Victory." It says:

"The win was the Pride's eighth road victory of the season, tying Hofstra with San Diego State, Stephen F. Austin, Vermont, and William & Mary for the most in the nation."
Actually, I would say that for a big who does his work in the paint, and who is going to get fouled, you want him to shoot a higher FT% than 64.5% to take full advantage of the times he's going to get fouled down low. If you're a perimeter player and you're shooting that kind of FT%, you can make up for that by hitting some 3s. But for a guy like Kante, who lives in the paint, you need him to take advantage of the times he gets to the line (even though it's obviously common for perimeter players to shoot better at the line than bigs). So, on that, going 15/17 after starting 34/59 is yet another very encouraging thing added to the list about the slow but steady growth he's been showing in his game.
I know. I was comparing Kante to what is expected from a big. I wasn't saying that his free throw percentage isn't important. Taylor shot free throws great for a big. Gustys shot horribly. When Jenkins was a senior in 2010-2011, our bigs were Imes, Washington, and Nwaukoni, and Imes and Nwaukoni shot free throws worse than Kante. For their careers, Imes shot .672, Nwaukoni shot .650, Washington shot .639, Kone shot .543, and Gustys shot .382. Weighting them equally gives an average of .577, and weighting the four other Gustys equally gives .626, so Kante is above that. Going farther back, Urbutis shot .717. Among transfers we had for two seasons, Uter shot .489, Townes shot .541, Szabo shot .524, and Dane Johnson shot .559. Jordan Allen shot .456 in two seasons before transferring, and Kanacevic shot .648 in one season before transferring. Taylor shot .717, and as an exact value he was slightly worse than Urbutis. I'm excluding bigs who shot many threes like Kieza and Koon, along with Lester who I saw listed as a guard and as a forward. I'm not checking to see if I missed any bigs, but I gave a significant sample. 9 of 13 shot worse than Kante, 7 of 13 shot worse than .600, and only 2 shot over .700.
Wags

Post by Wags »

EvanJ wrote:
Wags wrote:
EvanJ wrote:Kante made all 6 free throws and has shot 15-17 (.882) in his last three games to raise his percentage from 34-59 (.576) to 49-76 (.645). .645 is an okay free throw percentage for a guy who shoots near the basket. Our percentage of .774 is 16th of 353 teams.

https://gohofstra.com/news/2020/1/30/me ... ctory.aspx is Hofstra's recap titled "MBB: Pemberton And Buie Lead Hofstra To Convincing Victory." It says:

"The win was the Pride's eighth road victory of the season, tying Hofstra with San Diego State, Stephen F. Austin, Vermont, and William & Mary for the most in the nation."
Actually, I would say that for a big who does his work in the paint, and who is going to get fouled, you want him to shoot a higher FT% than 64.5% to take full advantage of the times he's going to get fouled down low. If you're a perimeter player and you're shooting that kind of FT%, you can make up for that by hitting some 3s. But for a guy like Kante, who lives in the paint, you need him to take advantage of the times he gets to the line (even though it's obviously common for perimeter players to shoot better at the line than bigs). So, on that, going 15/17 after starting 34/59 is yet another very encouraging thing added to the list about the slow but steady growth he's been showing in his game.
I know. I was comparing Kante to what is expected from a big. I wasn't saying that his free throw percentage isn't important. Taylor shot free throws great for a big. Gustys shot horribly. When Jenkins was a senior in 2010-2011, our bigs were Imes, Washington, and Nwaukoni, and Imes and Nwaukoni shot free throws worse than Kante. For their careers, Imes shot .672, Nwaukoni shot .650, Washington shot .639, Kone shot .543, and Gustys shot .382. Weighting them equally gives an average of .577, and weighting the four other Gustys equally gives .626, so Kante is above that. Going farther back, Urbutis shot .717. Among transfers we had for two seasons, Uter shot .489, Townes shot .541, Szabo shot .524, and Dane Johnson shot .559. Jordan Allen shot .456 in two seasons before transferring, and Kanacevic shot .648 in one season before transferring. Taylor shot .717, and as an exact value he was slightly worse than Urbutis. I'm excluding bigs who shot many threes like Kieza and Koon, along with Lester who I saw listed as a guard and as a forward. I'm not checking to see if I missed any bigs, but I gave a significant sample. 9 of 13 shot worse than Kante, 7 of 13 shot worse than .600, and only 2 shot over .700.
Yeh, I know. I meant I would just like to see him get over 70% because that means he'll be maintaining his recent turnaround at the line. That recent 15/17 clip is a vast improvement. If he continues to trend that way, it could be huge if the ball ends up in his hands in some late-game situations in one or two CAAT games.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

We tied our own record for the best threes made differential by a CAA team against Elon since Elon joined the CAA. Including CAA Tournaments, this was Elon's 106th CAA game, and it was their worst threes differential since their third CAA game, which was our 79-61 win at Elon on January 10, 2015. We made 15 threes and allowed 5 last week and made 14 threes and allowed 4 in that game.