Singular Team Names of Our Opponents in the CAA Era

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
EvanJ

Singular Team Names of Our Opponents in the CAA Era

Post by EvanJ »

This week we go to the Elon Phoenix and William & Mary Tribe. Those opponents and us are the only team names in the CAA that are singular. Since we joined the CAA, we played nonconference games against ten teams with singular names. How many can you name? It's more than ten games because we played some of these teams multiple times. I'll give small hints:

1. Four are in groups with names that do not end with the word "conference."

2. Two are public.

3. Two made the NCAA Tournament last year, and they are both private.

4. All of the teams are in the Eastern or Central time zone.

5. Three are teams that Hofstra has never beaten, and none are teams who have never beaten Hofstra.

6. If you start at Hofstra and cross a state border only into states with at least one of the teams, you could get to six of them.
HofstraHockey

Re: Singular Team Names of Our Opponents in the CAA Era

Post by HofstraHockey »

I assume this is all for men's basketball? I have a few, but definitely not all ten.

The Orange, the Red Storm, the Crimson, the Thundering Herd, the Wolfpack, and the Green Wave are the singular ones I can think of.

The Midshipmen and Minutemen are technically plurals, although they don't end in s, which I'm not sure if you were alluding to.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

How about the Big Red of Cornell and Big Green of Dartmouth
The Shadow

Post by The Shadow »

In November 2019, the MBB team played at the Bucknell Bison and the Women's soccer team was at the Stanford Cardinal in the NCAAT.
HofstraHockey

Post by HofstraHockey »

And softball played the Crimson Tide in 2005.
Mikey77

Post by Mikey77 »

Also played the Tulsa Golden Hurricane in softball a number of times.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

I was only counting Men's Basketball because I don't want to check every sport. Of the guesses, all are correct except for Harvard, Navy, Cornell, Stanford, Alabama, and Tulsa. Some of those were specified for other sports. I'm only counting while we're in the CAA, but we've never played some of those in Men's Basketball, and I'm surprised we never played Harvard. I'm counting Minutemen, and I'm counting any name that doesn't end with "s." There are two that weren't guessed, and both are farther from Hofstra than most of the others. We played each team out of conference once since we joined the CAA, with a big win over one of them and a big loss to the other. Both of them are schools you know well. Here are how many correct each person got:

HofstraHockey: 6 (Orange, Red Storm, Thundering Herd, Wolfpack, Green Wave, Minutemen)
stuball888: 1 (Big Green)
The Shadow: 1 (Bison)

The teams from D.C. northeast who we have never played in Men's Basketball are Harvard, Albany, Massachusetts-Lowell (a few years seasons into Division I), Merrimack (first season in Division I), Navy, Bryant, Delaware State, and Morgan State. That's eight, and if you count western Pennsylvania you can add Pittsburgh and Robert Morris.
HofstraHockey

Post by HofstraHockey »

Ah, I must have been thinking of women's bb for Harvard and Navy.
Mikey77

Post by Mikey77 »

Hofstra has also played the Notre Dame Fighting Irish a few times in Men's BB.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

That's one. When we got snubbed in 2005-2006, our only nonconference loss was at Notre Dame. I'll give the other because it's a trick question. We hosted Elon nonconference on November 23, 2009. I said we played these teams nonconference. I didn't say that we didn't play any of them in conference also.
Mikey77

Post by Mikey77 »

HU played ND in the NCAA's in the late 70's as well.