JWF

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
Cards

Re: JWF

Post by Cards »

So even though he is not playing and is not even designated as "active" for these nba games, is he now reaping the financial benefits of the two way contract? Are these last few games counting as some of the 40 or so games that he is allowed to be with the parent club, and is he being paid accordingly?
dutchalum01

Post by dutchalum01 »

Correct. As long as he’s up with the big boys, he’s being paid accordingly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

Cards wrote: So even though he is not playing and is not even designated as "active" for these nba games, is he now reaping the financial benefits of the two way contract? Are these last few games counting as some of the 40 or so games that he is allowed to be with the parent club, and is he being paid accordingly?
It's 45 days, not games. The last two games were the first times in his career he was active. When he was with Utah at the beginning, you would have to check Utah's roster to find that out. Now at least he's been in the box score. Miye Oni makes $898,310, and I think it was posted that JWF makes a little under a tenth of that. Therefore the difference between Oni and JWF is almost $820,000, which is $10,000 per NBA game (I don't know how many games the G League plays). I'm not saying this is how he gets paid, but if taking him on a three game road trip adds almost $30,000 and his salary without that is almost $90,000, the trip increases his salary by a third. He was inactive for at least two games early, so this trip makes it least five, and if the increase for being on the NBA roster is almost $10,000 per game he could be up to about $130,000 for the season even if he is sent down after the road trip and not called up for the rest of the season.

Edit: I assumed that as a rookie drafted in the Second Round, Oni would be making the NBA minimum, but ESPN says Utah's lowest salary is $578,573 by Rayjon Tucker, who played for Arkansas-Little Rock in the Sun Belt.
Wags

Post by Wags »

Big shot to put SLC up in the final seconds of regulation on Friday: https://twitter.com/nbagleague/status/1 ... 2603777024

Game went to OT after that but he also hit a game-winning floater that broke a 110-110 tie with :10.6 left.

Finished with 30 pts on 10/19 fg (5/11 from 3).
Brantley also had 25 on 11/19 and 9 boards.
HU87

Post by HU87 »

Absolutely loving following this CAA duo situation.

They both have great instagram/IG stories... highly recommend for some behind the scenes look at g-league life.
HU76

Post by HU76 »

He may have made another $50,000 attending pre season camp as a draft pick.
Wags

Post by Wags »

Great pic! JWF catches up with Norm Richardson: https://twitter.com/JayWright_3/status/ ... 6659977216
Wags

Post by Wags »

Cacok made all but one of his 16 FGA and grabbed 11 boards in a G-League game tonight:

https://twitter.com/SouthBayLakers/stat ... 2272604162

He's averaging 18.4 ppg and 12.1 rpg for the South Bay Lakers. He's on a two-way contract with them and the NBA Lakers.

JWF averaging 17.1 ppg, 2.6 apg and 2.6 rpg

Brantley averaging 19.6 ppg, 7.5 rpg, 3.5 apg

So that's three from JWF's CAA era making some significant G-League noise on two-way deals. Would be nice if they could all get real shots on the big stage.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Wags wrote:Cacok made all but one of his 16 FGA and grabbed 11 boards in a G-League game tonight:

https://twitter.com/SouthBayLakers/stat ... 2272604162

He's averaging 18.4 ppg and 12.1 rpg for the South Bay Lakers. He's on a two-way contract with them and the NBA Lakers.

JWF averaging 17.1 ppg, 2.6 apg and 2.6 rpg

Brantley averaging 19.6 ppg, 7.5 rpg, 3.5 apg

So that's three from JWF's CAA era making some significant G-League noise on two-way deals. Would be nice if they could all get real shots on the big stage.
It's pathetic that he can't even log a minute on this team we all know he can score on this level. Brantley gets minutes hear and there. I wonder if any team would trade for him trying to get an exciting player that can score. A team obviously in need of a scorer and willing to give him a shot?
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

Brantley has played in three NBA games, and he has 2:39 with 1 rebound as his only non-zero statistic in the NBA in the last two months. Brantley is above JWF in most categories in the G-League. I'm not saying JWF doesn't deserve to play in the NBA, but you can't say Brantley's negligible NBA time to JWF's none is unfair considering their G-League statistics. Of 309 players with at least 15 G-League games, Cacok ranks second in rebounds per game and sixth in field goal percentage. The most by a player is 34, so 15 isn't a high standard.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

EvanJ wrote:Brantley has played in three NBA games, and he has 2:39 with 1 rebound as his only non-zero statistic in the NBA in the last two months. Brantley is above JWF in most categories in the G-League. I'm not saying JWF doesn't deserve to play in the NBA, but you can't say Brantley's negligible NBA time to JWF's none is unfair considering their G-League statistics. Of 309 players with at least 15 G-League games, Cacok ranks second in rebounds per game and sixth in field goal percentage. The most by a player is 34, so 15 isn't a high standard.
Not complaining about Brantley getting minutes he's a good player but disappointed so far Justin not getting on the floor to show what he can do in the NBA.
Wags

Post by Wags »

EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

Utah held on to beat Portland with help by "blocking" a shot after it hit the backboard with goaltending incorrectly not called, and it's not reviewable.
Wags

Post by Wags »

triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Good post Wags thanks. Hopefully Justin will get in a NBA game soon.
Wags

Post by Wags »

cactus
Site Admin

Post by cactus »

Justin got one and a half mins on the floor with the big club last night in a Spurs win that was rarely in doubt.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

That's great news. San Antonio is 3.5 games behind the last playoff spot, and during the last playoffs without San Antonio, JWF was a fetus. The AP article which nba.com and ESPN used said "Mike Conley (rest) did not play." None of those sites or the Salt Lake Tribune mentioned JWF. I'm disappointed. I want Newsday (and all newspapers for their teams) to mention every debut by a Yankee, Giant, Knick, or Islander (and the area teams I don't root for) even if it was late in a blowout. On that note, even if Newsday would have mentioned it (I doubt it), it was in a late game our time. It would be a great three days if we go win-JWF's NBA debut-win, and maybe Mihalich will mention it, although Newsday uses the AP for away games so there won't be quotes tomorrow. https://gohofstra.com/sports/mens-basketball/archives doesn't have an article about his debut.

Claxton made his NBA debut on October 30, 2001, which was over a year after he graduated. That means that in over 18 years between then and yesterday, Jenkins was our only player to make his NBA debut unless there's somebody I don't know about.
cactus
Site Admin

Post by cactus »

EvanJ wrote:That's great news. San Antonio is 3.5 games behind the last playoff spot, and during the last playoffs without San Antonio, JWF was a fetus. The AP article which nba.com and ESPN used said "Mike Conley (rest) did not play." None of those sites or the Salt Lake Tribune mentioned JWF. I'm disappointed. I want Newsday (and all newspapers for their teams) to mention every debut by a Yankee, Giant, Knick, or Islander (and the area teams I don't root for) even if it was late in a blowout. On that note, even if Newsday would have mentioned it (I doubt it), it was in a late game our time. It would be a great three days if we go win-JWF's NBA debut-win, and maybe Mihalich will mention it, although Newsday uses the AP for away games so there won't be quotes tomorrow. https://gohofstra.com/sports/mens-basketball/archives doesn't have an article about his debut.

Claxton made his NBA debut on October 30, 2001, which was over a year after he graduated. That means that in over 18 years between then and yesterday, Jenkins was our only player to make his NBA debut unless there's somebody I don't know about.
Norman Richardson had a cup of coffee in 2002.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

JWF didn't shoot, and hopefully he doesn't do what Richardson did which was to not score for his first team. Richardson debuted on February 3, 2002, so it was over 18 years with just Jenkins debuting. https://www.basketball-reference.com/fr ... ge=hofstra says Richardson is the only player we had play in the NBA without being drafted. Before Claxton, Thieben and Laurel were our only two. That means Nisenson, who had our career points record for 43 years, didn't make the NBA.