Game 20 at COC 1/18@ 4:00 PM

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
triplec2195

Re: Game 20 at COC 1/18@ 4:00 PM

Post by triplec2195 »

Eli can’t buy a basket hurting us in this game 0 points. Too much one and done our offense stagnant since the end of the second half. Down by 4 viburnum now cold in the second half.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Coburn cold that is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Cards

Post by Cards »

wtf - how come HU does not call time out with 8 seconds left?? We rush downcourt, unorganized, and then screw up?
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

Riller missed, and Sam Miller became the only player to reach 20 with an offensive rebound and shot by the basket. Ray thought he was fouled when Riller stole the ball. Other than Miller and Jaylen Richard, who shot 2-2, Charleston didn't shoot great, but they had 7 more field goal attempts and 6 more free throw attempts. The rebounding margin going in was +0.9 for us, -2.2 for them (last in the CAA), and they had more, 34 to 27. Buie led us with 19 and had a great ratio of 9 assists to 2 turnovers. Drexel's Camren Wynter had 7 assists, and Buie and Wynter are now tied for the CAA lead with 5.3. If everybody else remained the same, they would be tied for 47th in Division I. We made all 7 free throws. We had 2 steals in each half, with none by our starting guards. Silverio led us with 2 steals.
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

Cards wrote:wtf - how come HU does not call time out with 8 seconds left?? We rush downcourt, unorganized, and then screw up?
When was the last time we took a timeout, called a play and scored. We've been better off coming down the court, not allowing the defense to set up and breaking them down. See Eli vs Northeastern last week.

And by the way Ray was fouled by Riller, no call.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

HUSID74 wrote:
Cards wrote:wtf - how come HU does not call time out with 8 seconds left?? We rush downcourt, unorganized, and then screw up?
When was the last time we took a timeout, called a play and scored. We've been better off coming down the court, not allowing the defense to set up and breaking them down. See Eli vs Northeastern last week.

Riller also fouled Kante on the Eli air ball that the refs went crazy looking at the replay for God knows how long but after showing the replay ad-nauseum you could see Riller hitting Kante's arm on the shot and Isaac was complaining to the refs. However I don't think we're going to win many games when you only get 2 points from one of your best players, correct?? Anyone remember the N.C. State game last year when Eli only had 2 points. At least last year he was in foul trouble and only played 19 minutes. He played 36 minutes in this game. A good competitive game entertaining but you always want to win a game like this! Coburn starting to turn the season around for himself although he didn't score much in the second half.
Wags

Post by Wags »

Very winnable game, very tough loss. Extremely disappointing today, but this is fine in the big picture.

Starting with 5 of 7 on the road, going 5-2, including 4-1 on the road is a good position to be in.

And with what seemed to be their toughest CAA road trip, you just hope to get 2 out of 3 (which they did) and to be competitive in the one loss (which they were).

W&M finally showed a weakness, and in a big way, getting trounced at Drexel. So, HU doesn't even lose any ground there. W&M 6-1, CofC 6-2, HU 5-2. And now Drexel at 5-2, doing what many thought Delaware might do (but the Hens are 3-4).

HU closes with 7 of 11 at home now. Get 9 of those 11 and it's a 14-4 year in the CAA, and 23-8 overall heading into the CAA tourney. That's all you could've asked for after losing JWF, I think. That won't happen on its own, there's work to do. But after this start through the first 7 CAA games, that's achievable and realistic. With the hard part of the CAA schedule out of the way, just have to take advantage now of what's left.
Cards

Post by Cards »

HUSID74 wrote:

I know it worked against NU, but how many times can you go to the well and think the unconventional play is your best bet. If we had only 2 or 3 seconds left, maybe, but with 8-9 seconds left, I have to disagree. What does that say about our offense if we're not confident we can inbound the ball successfully and at least get off one half decent shot. It speaks volumes IMO.

I certainly agree there did seem to be plenty of home town calls by the refs. I also still believe that in too many games, HU abandons the move the ball approach for a one on one game - not good. CAA is wide open this year - I think more so than many previous years.
Polito

Post by Polito »

Any insight to whether EP was feeling ok?

All players have off night, even JWF had a clunker or two in his time, but certainly that’s a big low for Eli...obviously cost HU the game for the most part - feels like maybe something not right? Or CofC straight up locked him down the entire game?

TC came out on fire, loving his impact with good health - seems motivated to make a bigger factor m

Look, knew it was going to be a battle between two top group teams - Neither played great, both played hard, could’ve gone either way - not going to win every close one, HU like others is flawed

Conf is def wide open - BUT HU can’t have games where it’s top dog or two don’t perform - that’s a big part of how the chokes happen. Really want to confirm if Eli was 100%...
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

I'd give Eli a break. He won the NE game for us and has been strong the rest of the season. His teammates need to pick up the slack.

Four of our five starters played 34 min or more today. I know it was a close game, but we've got to start developing our bench. Glad to see Schutte in there for 4 minutes. What happened to Hughes, Miranda and Trueheart?
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Jojogunne wrote:I'd give Eli a break. He won the NE game for us and has been strong the rest of the season. His teammates need to pick up the slack.

Four of our five starters played 34 min or more today. I know it was a close game, but we've got to start developing our bench. Glad to see Schutte in there for 4 minutes. What happened to Hughes, Miranda and Trueheart?
You really can't get down on Eli because he's such a two way player but the problem is that when he has a bad game he really has a bad game. If he just had a very mediocre game we win this game but there's no sense dwelling on it because Coburn appears to be now firing on all cylinders and that's huge for the team. It certainly appears that we all know and more importantly the coach knows what we can expect from the bench. We will get some minutes from Schutte enough to give Kante a breather but he's foul prone and Burgess while he will give us D he's not going to score much. I don't see either Miranda or Trueheart seeing too much time unless Coburn and Silverio aren't playing well. Stafford is a three point shooting disaster. Silverio is our ace in the hole if he can come in and take good shots and hit three's he will be invaluable. His D appears to have improved quite a bit and he's going to be important down the stretch and next year getting more minutes.
Pride97

Post by Pride97 »

I wouldn't blame Eli for a bad game - it happens. His shot was way off and he tried for force a few drives to the hoop and took shots a very bad angles. He clearly didn't have it yesterday. My question is why not give him a break and let him watch the game for a few minutes. 36 minutes is a lot for someone having his worst game of the season. I understand wanting to have him in at the end but maybe give him a solid 5 minutes on the bench in the 2nd half to try to get his head straight. Silverio and Burgess were giving us some good minutes and we didn't have anyone in big foul trouble (unless you count Ray) so i think we would have been fine having Eli off the floor for a bit.

Also I'm sure I'm in the minority, but i still think there is a role for Truheart on this team. If we can keep him from wasting 3 pt attempts, he has been able to give us some size on the defesive end when Coburn is out.

Also great to see Kante getting more comfortable. You can tell Buie now has confidence getting him the ball - obviously the finish to the NE game helped that. If Buie can dump off to IK down low and maybe start kicking out to open shooters on the perimeter, he is going to be very tough to handle since they have to respect his shot.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

Kante shoots twos .643. Among CAA players who rarely or never shoot threes, the only player with at 100 attempts who shoots twos better is Delaware's Collin Goss at .673. Kante shoots twos much better than Charleston's Osinachi Smart, Towson's Nakye Sanders, JMU's Dwight Wilson, and Drexel's James Butler.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

EvanJ wrote:Kante shoots twos .643. Among CAA players who rarely or never shoot threes, the only player with at 100 attempts who shoots twos better is Delaware's Collin Goss at .673. Kante shoots twos much better than Charleston's Osinachi Smart, Towson's Nakye Sanders, JMU's Dwight Wilson, and Drexel's James Butler.
Evan are you implying that he should get the ball more? Post players like Kante and Rokas are going to shoot for a high percentage obviously they're getting easier shots E.G. dunks and bank shots off the glass close in. Comparing him to these other guys I wonder how often they'll take a 10-12 foot shot. Kante will show his mid range game sometimes but he's hitting on much closer shots to the basket most of the time.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

I know Kante takes easier shots. I can't tell the average shot distance for the other players I named, but my guess is that players who rarely or never shoot threes will shoot most of their twos from near the hoop. Goss (13/111 = 11.7%), Sanders (5/109 = 4.6%), Smart (no threes attempted), Wilson (no threes attempted), and Butler (3/195 = 1.5%) have all had under an eighth of their field goal attempts be threes, with the last four at under 5 percent. I'm not including Knight, who could make a lot of shots by the basket but has 23.7% of his attempts be threes. I'm not including UNCW's Shykeim Phillips, who has 7.5% of his attempts be threes but is a guard with a much lower rebounding rate than the rest of the guys I named.

Kante, Schutte, and Hughes have 19.6 percent of our minutes and 14.0 percent of our field goal attempts. In effective field goal percentage, where made threes count as 1.5 in the numerator and the denominator is 1 for all shots, we're at .508 as a team, the three guys I named are at .613, and Kante is at .646. ESPN requires a player to have played in 75 percent of his team's games and attempt at least 5 field goals per game to qualify for the field goal percentage leaders. Kante is 25th, and that's out of players on 353 teams. Taylor had a higher percentage than the NCAA leader last season, but the NCAA requires 5 makes per game, which excluded Taylor and excludes Kante this season. ESPN no longer has statistics for past seasons, so I can't find out where Taylor ranked on ESPN's standard of 5 attempts per game, which Taylor met.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

I know I'm going off a bit into a conversation that was not the original intent of Evans post but with all of the discontent with Kante he's putting up very similar numbers to Rok in his senior year with Kante only a sophomore. Rok also played plenty in his freshman year but Kante didn't play hardly at all. With Rok playing 31 games in his senior year he avergaed 29.7 minutes shot a F.G% OF .641, FT% of .375, had 12 rebounds a game and 11 blocks averaged 10.5 points. Kante after 20 games averaging 27.6 minutes his FG% .646, FT% .576, 7.3 REBOUNDS, 10.1 points a game. Rok played a few more minutes every game and had a clear advantage in rebounding but was far worse from the FT line. He had 11 blocks in 31 games Kante has 5 in 20. Kante appears to be playing better every game so his numbers will probably only go up!!