JWF

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
HofstraHockey

Re: JWF

Post by HofstraHockey »

dutchalum01 wrote:I know my wolves brought JWF in for a look - did the knicks?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm sure they got plenty of looks at him, even if they didn't.
dutchalum01

Post by dutchalum01 »

HofstraHockey wrote:
dutchalum01 wrote:I know my wolves brought JWF in for a look - did the knicks?

I'm sure they got plenty of looks at him, even if they didn't.
Valid point.

EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zhn5HEjgq2Y is titled "12 CAA Plays of Christmas - Hofstra JWF." It's his shot to beat Northeastern after Vasa Pusica shot too soon with the shot clock off.
Wags

Post by Wags »

EvanJ wrote:
dutchalum01 wrote: I know my wolves brought JWF in for a look - did the knicks?
Even if he could have helped the Knicks, if Utah didn't have any second round picks and the Knicks didn't want him, it's possible he wouldn't have been drafted. Most projections didn't have him being drafted. Furthermore, as of draft day, many second round picks from far away schools were more known by Knick fans than JWF was because we aren't popular.
The popularity or scale of the college program a draftee came from relative to other schools is irrelevant in a case like this. Jeremy Lin was an international sensation for a few weeks because of what he did as a Knick despite playing at Harvard and going undrafted.

If the Knicks traded up to draft JWF (the way they did with Brazdeikis), and he did for them off the bench what he's doing in the G League, the media would have run with the story of JWF being an exciting local product playing for his hometown team in NYC. Hofstra's reputation as a program wouldn't have mattered. It might've even enhanced the story because Knicks fans would love the underdog from a smaller local school having a positive impact on the Knicks even more than a better-known player from a larger program doing the same (and so far, the guy they got, from the far more well-known program -- Brazdekis -- hasn't done much).
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

Wags wrote: The popularity or scale of the college program a draftee came from relative to other schools is irrelevant in a case like this. Jeremy Lin was an international sensation for a few weeks because of what he did as a Knick despite playing at Harvard and going undrafted.

If the Knicks traded up to draft JWF (the way they did with Brazdeikis), and he did for them off the bench what he's doing in the G League, the media would have run with the story of JWF being an exciting local product playing for his hometown team in NYC. Hofstra's reputation as a program wouldn't have mattered. It might've even enhanced the story because Knicks fans would love the underdog from a smaller local school having a positive impact on the Knicks even more than a better-known player from a larger program doing the same (and so far, the guy they got, from the far more well-known program -- Brazdekis -- hasn't done much).
That's true, but we still don't know if the Knicks would have drafted him if they could have.
Wags

Post by Wags »

EvanJ wrote:
Wags wrote: The popularity or scale of the college program a draftee came from relative to other schools is irrelevant in a case like this. Jeremy Lin was an international sensation for a few weeks because of what he did as a Knick despite playing at Harvard and going undrafted.

That's true, but we still don't know if the Knicks would have drafted him if they could have.
Obviously, they wouldn't have, because if they traded up from 55 to 47 to get Iggy, they weren't going to trade up to 53 for JWF. The interest wasn't there. But, I think it should've been. That might prove to be a mistake on the Knicks' part in the future. So far, it's not like Iggy is doing anything other than warming the bench for the Knicks this season whereas JWF could've played here and there for them and would've been an exciting fan favorite off the bench who Knicks fans would've loved. And if he had done that, his playing time and impact would've increased.
budman

Post by budman »

He will be to TV tomorrow at 7 PM on espn 2.
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

Thanks for the head's up, Budman.
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

JWF with 4 of his team's 6 points in OT, including 2 huge free throws, to win the Winter Showcase Championship. The Stars win $100k. Sounds like JWF and Brantley may not get any of that, since they're 2-way players and not solely G-League players.
Cards

Post by Cards »

For anyone interested in watching JWF play tonight - simply go to NBA G league home website. Near the top of the page you will see virtually all the games being played and streamed that day. Looks like most of the games are streamed live. Tonight at 9 est JWF playing for Salt Lake City is being streamed.

BY the way, last night Justin had another great game - In 28 minutes, Justin had 21 pts, 4 brds and 5 assts. Just another day at the office!
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Anyone who has watched these games will see how quick the pace is a perfect scenario for Justin who seems to flourish in this setting. He looked incredible the few times I've seen him making unbelievable CIRCUS SHOTS and of course hitting the 3 with regularity.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZDfaWqCZiak is titled "Best of CAA 2019 - NBA Draft."
Polito

Post by Polito »

Happy and pulling for JWF...

That said, I just can't get into G-league stuff - literally zero interest - can barely stand to watch the NBA lol. But I do hope JWF gets a real shot there at some point. I'll be happy to watch the game of dunks and no D then 8-)
Flying Dutchmen

Post by Flying Dutchmen »

Polito wrote:Happy and pulling for JWF...

That said, I just can't get into G-league stuff - literally zero interest - can barely stand to watch the NBA lol. But I do hope JWF gets a real shot there at some point. I'll be happy to watch the game of dunks and no D then 8-)
Same, I have little interest in either the G-League or NBA, but JWF's player page has some nice highlight videos of his big games:

https://stats.gleague.nba.com/player/1629625/
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

Thanks for the link, Dutchmen. Great to see Justin hitting from the outside. Dishin' and swishin'. :)
Pride97

JWF

Post by Pride97 »

Nice interview with JWF. Looks like he’s more comfortable with the media these days

https://www.abc4.com/news/top-stories/s ... orts-live/

Wags

Post by Wags »

Thought this was pretty cool from a Stars fan and in response from Brantley:

https://twitter.com/jstuntbrantley/stat ... 0395121664
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

He was active in the NBA for the first time in his career, but he didn't play. A roster has 15 players, of whom 2 must be designated as inactive before each game. Those two players do not get listed in the box score. That's what happened to JWF earlier. Yesterday he was active, so he got his first box score appearance with a Did Not Play- Coach's Decision. Eric Walden tweeted that he was called up for a three game road trip to practice one-on-one to help Mike Conley rehab. Utah improved to 27-12 with a 127-112 win at Washington. Tomorrow night they're in Brooklyn, so you can go and see him on the bench even if he doesn't play.
Wags

Post by Wags »

EvanJ wrote:He was active in the NBA for the first time in his career, but he didn't play. A roster has 15 players, of whom 2 must be designated as inactive before each game. Those two players do not get listed in the box score. That's what happened to JWF earlier. Yesterday he was active, so he got his first box score appearance with a Did Not Play- Coach's Decision. Eric Walden tweeted that he was called up for a three game road trip to practice one-on-one to help Mike Conley rehab. Utah improved to 27-12 with a 127-112 win at Washington. Tomorrow night they're in Brooklyn, so you can go and see him on the bench even if he doesn't play.
There he is:
https://twitter.com/utahjazz/status/1216487183407673347
Wags

Post by Wags »