Hofstra Arena/Mack 20-Year Anniversary

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
Wags

Hofstra Arena/Mack 20-Year Anniversary

Post by Wags »

One month from tonight, Thu 1/2/20, Hofstra will host William & Mary.

Hofstra Arena opened on 1/2/00.

Wondering if anyone has heard of anything being planned for that game to mark two decades since the arena first opened (or it might be quite possible that it's only me who cares about it lol).

One idea, if the budget would allow: wear throwbacks against W&M to the style of Hofstra uniforms the team wore when it played on 1/2/00. Could later auction those uniforms off for charity (even if only a small amount is raised, it's better than nothing for charity).
HofstraPride1

Re: Hofstra Arena/Mack 20-Year Anniversary

Post by HofstraPride1 »

I think is great idea to mark anniversary. Also scary it has been two decades!
Mikey77

Post by Mikey77 »

Clever idea. Which means forget about it.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Maybe bring back that HU team and introduce them to the crowd Many still live on the island
Wags

Post by Wags »

stuball888 wrote:Maybe bring back that HU team and introduce them to the crowd Many still live on the island
Yes, that too. Great idea. And one of them is easy, since he's on the bench!

It would be cool if they mark the anniversary somehow rather than it just being an ordinary game.
HofstraHockey

Post by HofstraHockey »

Although it has nothing to do with the anniversary, the team will be wearing 2000 throwback jerseys on Feb 8.
The Shadow

Post by The Shadow »

Good to know that the throwback uniforms will be worn again, but the best part of the game is the return of the Flying Dutchmen !!!!
Wags

Post by Wags »

HofstraHockey wrote:Although it has nothing to do with the anniversary, the team will be wearing 2000 throwback jerseys on Feb 8.
That's cool, but then why not on Jan. 2 instead? Unless, the jerseys won't be ready until Feb?
HofstraHockey

Post by HofstraHockey »

Wags wrote:
HofstraHockey wrote:Although it has nothing to do with the anniversary, the team will be wearing 2000 throwback jerseys on Feb 8.
That's cool, but then why not on Jan. 2 instead? Unless, the jerseys won't be ready until Feb?
It’s part of the “winter homecoming” https://gohofstra.com/news/2019/10/23/g ... oming.aspx
Hof_Judge99

Post by Hof_Judge99 »

This isn’t really related to this but I didn’t know where else to post it. Does anyone know why the Stony Brook game (whether it’s home or away) always seems to be during the week? Would be so much better on a Fri night or Sat at 4. Instead we get garbage games like NYIT and Rosemont on weekends? On a Tuesday this rivalry doesn’t feel the same as it would on a weekend.
Wags

Post by Wags »

Hof_Judge99 wrote:This isn’t really related to this but I didn’t know where else to post it. Does anyone know why the Stony Brook game (whether it’s home or away) always seems to be during the week? Would be so much better on a Fri night or Sat at 4. Instead we get garbage games like NYIT and Rosemont on weekends? On a Tuesday this rivalry doesn’t feel the same as it would on a weekend.
Probably does decrease the buzz a little during the week as opposed to the weekend, but I'm guessing it's due to trying to coordinate the two schedules. When both teams are trying to schedule bigger non-conference opponents prior to conference play in the AE and CAA, they have to take the dates when they can get them (like Stony Brook playing at Seton Hall on a Saturday this year, or Hofstra building its UCLA game around a three-game California trip). Then there's other travel involved, like Hofstra going to Florida for a couple of games this year, etc. So it's probably hard enough to sync up the two schedules to play each other annually before each team starts conference play let alone trying to pick an exact date when both are free on a weekend. Agree though, it would be more fun.
Hof_Judge99

Post by Hof_Judge99 »

Wags wrote:
Hof_Judge99 wrote:This isn’t really related to this but I didn’t know where else to post it. Does anyone know why the Stony Brook game (whether it’s home or away) always seems to be during the week? Would be so much better on a Fri night or Sat at 4. Instead we get garbage games like NYIT and Rosemont on weekends? On a Tuesday this rivalry doesn’t feel the same as it would on a weekend.
Probably does decrease the buzz a little during the week as opposed to the weekend, but I'm guessing it's due to trying to coordinate the two schedules. When both teams are trying to schedule bigger non-conference opponents prior to conference play in the AE and CAA, they have to take the dates when they can get them (like Stony Brook playing at Seton Hall on a Saturday this year, or Hofstra building its UCLA game around a three-game California trip). Then there's other travel involved, like Hofstra going to Florida for a couple of games this year, etc. So it's probably hard enough to sync up the two schedules to play each other annually before each team starts conference play let alone trying to pick an exact date when both are free on a weekend. Agree though, it would be more fun.

Yeah I figured it was tough to schedule but considering the schools are only 35 or so miles apart I’d think they could find a weekend spot. Such a shame since it’s a good little rivalry and it’s just not the same on a Tuesday.
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

I've heard rumblings that the Stonys don't even want to play this game...
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

HUSID74 wrote:I've heard rumblings that the Stonys don't even want to play this game...
Why do they feel they can't beat us?? Just think that we had to play them away two years in a row, that sucks!!
Hof_Judge99

Post by Hof_Judge99 »

HUSID74 wrote:I've heard rumblings that the Stonys don't even want to play this game...

Such a shame quality locals don’t seem to play us anymore. Iona, St Johns, even Fordham. I’d really like to see how we’d fair against St. John’s.
HofstraPride1

Post by HofstraPride1 »

I heard that too, but luckily Hofstra and Stony Brook are contractually obligated to play each other in all sports for next few years so decision is out of coachs' hands. Hopefully this will help- fuel a healthy local rivalry.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

Hof_Judge99 wrote:
HUSID74 wrote: I've heard rumblings that the Stonys don't even want to play this game...
Such a shame quality locals don’t seem to play us anymore. Iona, St Johns, even Fordham. I’d really like to see how we’d fair against St. John’s.
The P5, Big East, AAC, A10, Mountain West, and West Coast are the multiple-bid conferences in ESPN's Bracketology. They have a combined 122 Division I teams. Without going northeast to Connecticut or southwest to multiple teams in Philadelphia, the NYC area has only 4 of them in St. John's, Fordham, Seton Hall, and Rutgers. The area has way more than 4/122nds of the country's population. The MAAC was horrible last season and is off to a horrible start. The Ivy League was good last season and is off to a good start, but beating Ivy League teams doesn't sound impressive no matter how good they are (obviously it's different in Men's Lacrosse, Women's Lacrosse, and Wrestling).

People talk about getting a 2-for-1 to go to a top conference team twice and host once. Would schools accept a 2-for-1 tournament? For example, could Villanova, one of the A10 teams*, and Temple be convinced to play a round-robin group of four in Philadelphia two-thirds of the time and preferably at Hofstra but acceptable at Nassau Coliseum one-third of the time? The Philadelphia teams play each other every season, so it would add one out of conference game per season against us and one bus trip every three seasons.

* I said one of the A10 teams because St. Joseph's and La Salle probably would not want to play each other before A10 play. I'm guessing the A10 has them play twice every season like conferences do for rivals when they have too many teams to play double round-robin, and they play twice this season.
Polito

Post by Polito »

P5’s play at mid majors every friggin yr - EVERY YR - in the CAA no less :roll: - HUs long running schedule excuses are straight up tired and complete BS. Yet every yr they trot out the same old loser story line as if people aren’t intelligent enough to clearly see it’s happening just fine at other programs across the country. Just not at HU.

I’m pretty convinced HU is either scared, completely clueless to the value/need, or trying but no one knows how to actually get it done. Or a combo of such lol.
Cards

Post by Cards »

Cmon guys, have we all forgotten - "It's only the CAA schedule that matters" Good grief - pathetic!
The Shadow

Post by The Shadow »

To HUSID74, Why would Stony Brook not want to play HU in men's basketball? The 2020 HU baseball schedule was just released, and for the first time in quite a few seasons SBU is on the schedule. I thought these were all part of a Long Island rivalry set up by Green Turtle. By the way, Purdue is on the baseball schedule and there is a very good pitcher on their roster named Bo Hofstra!