MBB Game 6 At Cal State Fulleron

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
Cards

Re: MBB Game 6 At Cal State Fulleron

Post by Cards »

Cards wrote: IMO, we need two things 1) DB to keep leading the team from tip-off to final buzzer and controlling the game flow/pace and 2) better production from the 5 spot - rebounding, defense, offense - basically all aspects of the game.
Team looks very unorganized with haphazard play during a 5-minute stretch. DB on the bench - put him back in coach!
Wags

Post by Wags »

Jalen Ray really growing up on this California trip.

Winding this one down. 77-55 with 2:15 left. One more W to go, at San Diego, Thanksgiving Eve, to close out a perfect CA trip.
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

15 rebounds and 12 points from the FIVE...sign me up...Best rebounding and defensive effort in memory!
Cards

Post by Cards »

Did what we needed to do, that is, win easily against a poor quality team.

Pet peeve of mine - you put in Conner and Karl G with a few possessions left and then you have them stand there and run out the 30 second clock for a turnover. Why bother even putting them in?? There not really getting playing time. Let them run the clock down to 6 or 7 seconds and then try and get a shot. I don't think the other team is going to get pissed that HU is trying to run up the score. Its like putting in a pinch hitter and telling him to strike out to try and quickly end the game. Not exactly instilling any confidence in those bench players who live and die trying to get a minute per game of "playing" time!
HofstraMathew

Post by HofstraMathew »

Cards wrote:Did what we needed to do, that is, win easily against a poor quality team.

Pet peeve of mine - you put in Conner and Karl G with a few possessions left and then you have them stand there and run out the 30 second clock for a turnover. Why bother even putting them in?? There not really getting playing time. Let them run the clock down to 6 or 7 seconds and then try and get a shot. I don't think the other team is going to get pissed that HU is trying to run up the score. Its like putting in a pinch hitter and telling him to strike out to try and quickly end the game. Not exactly instilling any confidence in those bench players who live and die trying to get a minute per game of "playing" time!
In general I hate the taking the shot clock violation at the end of the game. If the shot clock is off then yes you just run the clock out and take the W but otherwise you shoot the ball.
Cards

Post by Cards »

HUSID74 wrote:15 rebounds and 12 points from the FIVE...sign me up...Best rebounding and defensive effort in memory!
As I said the other day, I'm willing to give IK the OOC schedule to get his game together. That being said, 13 rebs (not 15) and 12 pts against poor competition is nothing to get excited about. TC and EP each had as many rebs (8) as IK. Its clear that he has to execute perfect boxouts for rebs, because its clear he does not get off the ground well. And how many time did IK do the matador "Olay" as guys drove to the hoop for easy baskets. Not a good sign.

We'll give him time, but my expectations are being lowered. Not so much because of the talent level I see, rather its the physical abilities I see. He's going to have to learn to play smart and efficiently use the abilities he has to be successful. I think we're all pulling for him to make it happen.

Anyway, a W is a W. On to SD.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

HofstraMathew wrote:
Cards wrote: Did what we needed to do, that is, win easily against a poor quality team.

In general I hate the taking the shot clock violation at the end of the game. If the shot clock is off then yes you just run the clock out and take the W but otherwise you shoot the ball.
I agree. The losing team doesn't have a right to complain if the winning team shoots with the shot clock on.

We won 79-57. The 136 combined points were the fewest in a Hofstra game since our loss at Northeastern 18 games ago. Last season's season-low for combined points was 130. We scored more than CSF in the low-scoring second half 31 to 29. Both teams didn't attempt many free throws and missed 1*. We shot 8-9, and CSF shot 11-12. It was a very quick game. Klementowicz entered at the end. I don't know why Miranda didn't play. Pemberton led all scorers with 19, Ray scored 18, Buie scored 14, Silverio scored 10, and Kante scored 10. Coburn scored 4, Trueheart scored 2, Schutte scored 2, and Burgess, Gibson Jr., and Klementowicz did not attempt any shots. Trueheart played a lot of the second half and stunk. He shot field goals 1-5, missed both threes including an airball, and I don't have a way of finding out yet but I think he had at least 2 turnovers. Nobody had a double-double. Pemberton, Kante, and Coburn led all players with 8 rebounds, which was 1 more than CSF's Tory San Antonio. Buie led all players with 5 assists, Ray had 3, and Pemberton had only 1. Silverio and Schutte continued to be our best bench players. San Antonio had 4 assists to lead his team in rebounds and assists. Wayne Arnold led CSF with 15 points, but he shot 5-15, including threes 2-10. CSF shot threes 4-23 (.174). We had an uncharacteristic 18 turnovers, and shot worse in the second half. Austen Awosika was CSF's other double-digit scorer with 13, and he led all players with 4 fouls. Brandon Kamga scored 8, but he shot 3-10 including three 0-6, and he tied with San Antonio for CSF's third most points.

* The CAA has statistics going back to 2005-2006, which is 463 games. Today is the first game in that span in which both teams missed no more than 1 free throw.

Edit: https://gohofstra.com/sports/mens-baske ... score/9178 is the box score. Buie became the ninth player and second CAA player this season to have at least 5 assists, at least 4 steals, and at least 5 turnovers. He was the first Hofstra player to do that since Green on March 8, 2015 in a CAA Semifinal double overtime loss on William & Mary's Daniel Dixon's three.

Edit: https://gohofstra.com/news/2019/11/24/m ... ctory.aspx is Hofstra's recap titled "MBB: Hofstra Wins Third Straight With Commanding Victory." We had 19 more rebounds, 44 to 25. It was our best rebounding margin against a Division I team since a 96-58 win hosting Stony Brook on December 13, 2016, when rebounds were 57 to 27. Gustys (18) and Ty Greer (12) combined for more rebounds than Stony Brook.
Wags

Post by Wags »

Cards wrote:Did what we needed to do, that is, win easily against a poor quality team.

Agree, and there are plenty of instances with other teams when they put in guys who rarely play and they go all out and try to score even with big leads in the final moments. You often see that if they do score, the regulars lose their minds on the bench for them. It really brings the team together. I mean, I get it, sportsmanship, not running up the score, etc. But, as was noted by others above, when it's guys who rarely play, the other team knows it and shouldn't get mad. And if you can't stop guys that never play, it's on you. One way to solve it would be to put them in earlier. There was no reason for Ray to be in there hitting a transition jumper to extend the lead to 22 with a little over two minutes left. He should've already been on the bench, with the end of the bench already in by then. Small thing in the grand picture, but I'm with you on this.
Flying Dutchmen

Post by Flying Dutchmen »

At home I don't mind, but I think on the road, especially in a non-con game, it's a real tacky move to have your walk-ons bombing away when the game is no longer in doubt. You put them in the game to signify to the other team that you're calling off the dogs.

Regarding the game, I thought it was a good effort. We were sloppy in the second half, but we were working through new personnel combinations. The game was never really in doubt anyway.

After the UCLA game, Mihalich said he needed to get more out of players 6 to 9, it seemed like he was specifically implying Silverio, but obviously also Schutte, Trueheart, and Burgess. I thought Silverio and Schutte had nice performances tonight. I thought they both played well within the offense, and I didn't notice any major defensive lapses. Silverio looks legit, he's a good shooter. I don't think we're going to hesitate to use him major minutes as the season goes on, as the primary backup to Ray, Pemba, and Coburn. Trueheart struggled, and it's mainly on the defensive side, although he didn't have a good shooting night either. I don't know why he struggles to get it, but the defense doesn't move correctly when he's in the game, and we give up open shots. I think Burgess is being groomed to be the PG next year, I hope he gets more time as the season goes on, but we haven't seen too much yet.

Our starting lineup is coming together. I thought Ray would emerge as our go-to scorer this year because he's dynamic and cold-blooded. He made it look so easy against NYIT, and has carried that swagger into our West Coast trip, I thought he was awesome again tonight. Buie is finally turning into the floor general. We struggle against man to man, that's when Buie needs to take over and find those pick and roll opportunities to keep the offense moving. I like that he only had one 3 point attempt, he's a decent shooter, but he's always been a better slasher, which our offense needs. Pemba was steady tonight, and Coburn played fine, more impactful defensively, but we had ample offense tonight.

I thought Kante was good in the first half, didn't have much impact in the second. We did rebound well tonight, I'm just hoping as Kante's conditioning improves, we can get more from him on the boards. Otherwise I do like his offensive game and I think he's been playing better on this trip like everyone else. 4 offensive boards is a big improvement.

We needed to take care of business tonight. Fullerton had a lot of turnover on their roster, and we needed to make a statement that there wasn't any hangover from the big win on Thursday. We shut the door on them before the first under 16. That's how you do it.
Wags

Post by Wags »

Flying Dutchmen wrote:At home I don't mind, but I think on the road, especially in a non-con game, it's a real tacky move to have your walk-ons bombing away when the game is no longer in doubt. You put them in the game to signify to the other team that you're calling off the dogs.
I see that side, too. But it's not the pros with guys at the end of the bench getting paid. The guys at the end of the bench in college likely aren't going pro and work hard in practice. They deserve to put up some shots in the rare moments they can actually get into a game. Big picture though, if worrying about whether those guys are trying to score or simply running out the clock at the ends of blowout wins is a recurring "issue," it's going to be a great season!
hualum

Post by hualum »

RE the walk-ons shooting...
my son played in HS. End of bench kid. Rarely got in. He got in one game and was LIGHTS OUT from 3 (we were up big) to the point it was embarrassing. - - coach came up to me after the game and said "Man! 15 points!!" I said "yeah, but chucking 3's up 25 with 2min left" - he said "I told him you work just as hard as anyone else in practice, this is your chance- play your game and show me what you can do"

I think other teams coaches get it.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Cards wrote:
HUSID74 wrote:15 rebounds and 12 points from the FIVE...sign me up...Best rebounding and defensive effort in memory!
As I said the other day, I'm willing to give IK the OOC schedule to get his game together. That being said, 13 rebs (not 15) and 12 pts against poor competition is nothing to get excited about. TC and EP each had as many rebs (8) as IK. Its clear that he has to execute perfect boxouts for rebs, because its clear he does not get off the ground well. And how many time did IK do the matador "Olay" as guys drove to the hoop for easy baskets. Not a good sign.

We'll give him time, but my expectations are being lowered. Not so much because of the talent level I see, rather its the physical abilities I see. He's going to have to learn to play smart and efficiently use the abilities he has to be successful. I think we're all pulling for him to make it happen.

Anyway, a W is a W. On to SD.
I saw this game pretty much in its entirety and I was happy to view what became evident was going to be an easy win whether HU is playing at a higher level or whether Cal State is just that bad or both. A couple of things that bothered me though was Kante doing his best impression of ROK and just watching guys going in for easy scores. Good point Cards I like the Olay phrase but clearly if he would have fouled out I don't think we would have had to worry. He was playing with 3 fouls but should have offered up some resistance. IMO offense will not be our problem at the 5 but clearly it will be D. This was frustrating and the times that Trueheart came in the game for whatever reason he was basically in his lackadaisical mode missing easy layups and just making poor shot selections. If we leave our starters in this game and I'm not suggesting we should have we win by 30 or more. Coburn didn't have a good shooting night but contributes so much on Defense that you forget about his off shooting nights.
Polito

Post by Polito »

Not much not to like, fun to watch! Biggest thing to me is not having a letdown game after a historic W - they brought the heat, very good sign to me.

I see MUCH better movement on and off the ball, and the guards are attacking - this improvement has made a huge impact. Also agree that the D was pretty good, by HU standards, and that provides a great boost.

The starters look fantastic, really gelling and playing well. There is a significant difference, as expected, when the bench guys are in - obviously talent is different, but they just don't understand how to move. Lot of standing around, and a big dip in defensive presence - is what it is, I don't expect them to be the same, just some things to work on.

Love that the staff is actually playing their bench... feels like a first - maybe finally figuring out it takes a team to cut nets, and the bench needs real PT.

I don't mind bench guys playing their best even at the very end, unless it's a 50pt blowout - hope they get the green light in other situations. Silverio has talent for sure, has shown a few eye opening flashes (looks smooth as butter creating his own jumpers and knocking em down) - would love for him to be consistent, and more active off the ball and on D - stud potential

Kante... jury still out, but seeing some signs of life. Clearly has a lot of work to do. But if he can make some incremental improvements each game, he may be what's needed in time for conf play. Schutte again giving what he can, so that is helping.

ST, good gracious. I'll leave it at that. Great game for the guard core, these guys are very good when they play smart and together. Can be special.

Love how serious they all seem to be taking these games, the road trip, and the season - the focus is showing. Finish this one out on Wednesday night for all 3, and come back east with some big time momentum!