Expectations 2019-2020 Men's BB

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
HUSID74

Re: Expectations 2019-2020 Men's BB

Post by HUSID74 »

Jojogunne wrote:Any word on a blue-gold scrimmage before the season begins?
JoJo there is a reception for season ticket holders/donors this Sunday. Team will scrimmage with refs and breakfast will be served...get invited!
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

Got the invite, can't make it. Thanks, anyway.
budman

Post by budman »

What time does the scrimmage start?
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

https://www.cbssports.com/college-baske ... very-team/ says:

"120. Charleston: The best player in the Colonial plays for the Cougars. His name is Grant Riller, and he's a junior guard who should account for 32-34 points per game.

148. Delaware: The Blue Hens will peacock this season, bumping from fifth to second in the Colonial. Martin Ingelsby will have gone from 13 wins to 14 to 17 and, this season, 20 (at least).

159. Hofstra: The (narrow) preseason pick to win the Colonial, Hofstra still brings back a lot of firepower despite losing the best scorer in college basketball, Justin Wright-Foreman.

191. Northeastern: The reigning Colonial champs have critical redshirt senior Jordan Roland back and also employ maybe the most respected tactical mind/coach in the conference, Bill Coen.

213. Towson: Deep Tigers team, but Brian Fobbs will carry the majority of the load.

241. Drexel: The Dragons bring back more scholarship players than any other team in the Colonial.

252. James Madison: I'm lower on JMU than Colonial coaches, but the Dukes are fortunate to return four starters, led by preseason all-league shooting guard Matt Lewis.

296. William & Mary: Dane Fischer is the new coach, replacing Tony Shaver, whose firing was controversial after 16 solid years at a program that's never made the NCAAs. Player to know is Nathan Knight, who's a top-three guy in the Colonial.

297. UNC Wilmington: It's all about sophomore Kai Toews, whose 253 assists last season were a Colonial record and, in fact, was only second to Ja Morant in dimes (7.7).

329. Elon: The Phoenix get a rebirth under Mike Schrage, who got the gig out of working for Chris Hotlmann at Ohio State. Extremely young team, all the more so after the late departure of junior guard Nathan Priddy."

That's an average rank of 224.6, which is 10.9 worse than in KenPom.

They got the year wrong for Riller, and averaging 32 to 34 points is extremely hard. The last player to average at least 32 was Kevin Bradshaw, who averaged 37.6 for Alliant International in 1990-1991. Wikipedia says they dropped sports in 2007.
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

budman wrote:What time does the scrimmage start?
9-11 am sunday
daHUPride

Post by daHUPride »

HUSID74 wrote:
9-11 am sunday
What a good event HUBB put on this morningt.

I am glad I came today. I am glad I have kept my season tickets all these years. I hope the best is yet to come.

There was decent crowd today – and jokingly told some of my new season ticket recruits (of which I have 6 newbies that I brought in this year) – that there were more people here today then some of the real games 5-6-7 years ago. That is great for the program.

The university did a good job today.

The scrimmage was fun to watch. I was amazed at the athletism that these kid show. Being so much closer then where I normally sit – it was a surprise how big and quick these kids are.

Cramer – has nice size and moves very well…I really like what I saw in him
Burgess – the heir apparent to Buie made a few nice plays with the ball – and didn’t back down on D
Miranda – didn’t get solid feel of his game of what I saw – nothing bad…need to see him more
Hughes – moves well – does not look comfortable with the ball in the post – but certainly has a nice touch from the perimeter
Schutte – looks like he might be getting some miuntes this year – muscular and leaner then years past – hope he can give us some quality playing time
Kante – looks bigger then the listed 6’7” – nicknamed the “Beast” – I hope he is more of a beast then I saw today – he needs to be able to catch the ball from DB – as long as DB is our PG it is imperitive for all of our biggies be able roll to the hop
Truehart – in a soft cast; I hope HOPE that this is his year – I have always liked his game (knowing he needs to improve) – I just think he can help us so much if he reaches his potential
Silverio – nice addition to our crowded 2-3 position (along with EP, TC, JR) –
Ray – bigger then I thought – we all know what he brings to our team – I am still one of the ones that likes him coming off the bench
Buie/Pemeberton Pemberton/Buie – they are what we will be – great Hofstra Student/Athletes – hope they go out on top

Coach much more relaxed then in real games – nice to see a different side of him.

I came away appreciating the fact these guys are kids – they work hard on the court – and hope they work as hard as students – but they are growing as players and people – and I think JAM has dome a great job at coaching them as player and a better job of getting them ready for the real world as people.
cactus
Site Admin

Post by cactus »

daHUPride wrote:
HUSID74 wrote:
9-11 am sunday
What a good event HUBB put on this morningt.

I am glad I came today. I am glad I have kept my season tickets all these years. I hope the best is yet to come.

There was decent crowd today – and jokingly told some of my new season ticket recruits (of which I have 6 newbies that I brought in this year) – that there were more people here today then some of the real games 5-6-7 years ago. That is great for the program.

The university did a good job today.

The scrimmage was fun to watch. I was amazed at the athletism that these kid show. Being so much closer then where I normally sit – it was a surprise how big and quick these kids are.

Cramer – has nice size and moves very well…I really like what I saw in him
Burgess – the heir apparent to Buie made a few nice plays with the ball – and didn’t back down on D
Miranda – didn’t get solid feel of his game of what I saw – nothing bad…need to see him more
Hughes – moves well – does not look comfortable with the ball in the post – but certainly has a nice touch from the perimeter
Schutte – looks like he might be getting some miuntes this year – muscular and leaner then years past – hope he can give us some quality playing time
Kante – looks bigger then the listed 6’7” – nicknamed the “Beast” – I hope he is more of a beast then I saw today – he needs to be able to catch the ball from DB – as long as DB is our PG it is imperitive for all of our biggies be able roll to the hop
Truehart – in a soft cast; I hope HOPE that this is his year – I have always liked his game (knowing he needs to improve) – I just think he can help us so much if he reaches his potential
Silverio – nice addition to our crowded 2-3 position (along with EP, TC, JR) –
Ray – bigger then I thought – we all know what he brings to our team – I am still one of the ones that likes him coming off the bench
Buie/Pemeberton Pemberton/Buie – they are what we will be – great Hofstra Student/Athletes – hope they go out on top

Coach much more relaxed then in real games – nice to see a different side of him.

I came away appreciating the fact these guys are kids – they work hard on the court – and hope they work as hard as students – but they are growing as players and people – and I think JAM has dome a great job at coaching them as player and a better job of getting them ready for the real world as people.
Thanks for the write-up, wish I could have made the event.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

I agree daHUPride a really nice event and the 1st time I've seen the new players. I took away a lot of impressions from these 3 10 minute scrimmages. I believe as I have said so in these posts that Schutte skill level has improved dramatically and plays with a lot of confidence. He's very vocal on the court and looked aggressive in some of the rebounds he grabbed. Also a high motor sprinting up and down the court. I don't know about the status of Cramer but he played a lot of minutes and had a tomahawk dunk as he drove the lane. Clearly he has a nice vertical leap. Burgess not only super quick but hounded the ball and hit a few 3's. A very impressive player for a freshman. Miranda as noted previously did play a lot of minutes and certainly didn't look too bad. I thought he handled the ball well and has a soft touch off the glass. Coburn was just on fire hitting numerous 3's all over the court. I thought the name Beast for Kante was very fitting very tough to stop near the basket and he showed a nice mid-range game. He also won every jump ball. Desure was Desure playing under control and setting up the offense. His shooting touch was off and he missed quite a few shots from beyond the arc. Jalen played well and hit at least 3 3's early on while he was out there. Eli also looking good but sustained an injury in the 3rd scrimmage I don't believe he came back in. I wasn't real impressed with Hughes who looked like a fish out of water trying to guard Kante in the post. He did hit a 3 in the last 10 minute period. As much as anyone who was on the floor I was really impressed with the poise and ball handling of Silverio. This kid is a scoring machine and if they were keeping track he hit NUMEROUS three's and had alot of points. It looked like he could also handle the point if need be. He really gets off the floor when he shoots and has good size. I know its only a scrimmage but this is a very impressive looking team that has a lot of upside.
Also I thought it was nice that Joe went around shaking hands and mingling with the fans and thanking everyone for coming as did the players. Rick Cole very visible and mingling as well. They served coffee and bagels/danish so if you wanted breakfast you didn't leave hungry. All and all a very rewarding event!!
Polito

Post by Polito »

Came here for exactly this after seeing the twitter post/pics, thanks for the recap! I think this is an awesome event and idea, really pleased that this came from this admin... looks like it was a great day, and I agree that looks like a nice showing, esp for a first time deal.

I would like to join the season ticket ranks at some point, have thought about the last couple of years... I just honestly can't make enough games for it to be worth it I don't think - maybe I'm incorrect, I don't know

As far as the players, I've made note of Burgess from his recruitment, kid is going to be an all-conf guard - excited for his impact

The post is all Kante, period - I expect pretty much zero from the rest, as I have said. Only value is pure bodies that can maybe give combined 10 minutes a game to spell Kante, but the entire big game rests on one guy. HU is clearly a guard dominated club, so I'm hoping that's enough - any team with a post presence could go off on this major weakness... biggest chink in the HU armor for this year, we'll see.

I trust DB tremendously - Eli needs to man up and bring it his Sr yr - if I'm him, I'm thinking I want to make up for my fade out last season and carry this club to the top. Hope he can do so, and balance himself by not trying 'too' hard.

Silverio can be a difference maker IMO, depending on how well he transitions - has the ability to be an all conf player and be the X factor - we'll see

Coburn needs to be let loose and play aggressive - killer when he attacks, wasted when he doesn't - staff better not turn this kid soft, FREE COBURN

Ray, I'm with you, he's a helluva 6th man - have big expectations for him this yr, kid's a baller - may need him to start, sometimes, not sure - but he's a winner and a huge part of this teams chances this year

Miranda will be fine in his role as a backup (that's his role), and very excited for Cramer, believe he's another impact player when it's his time - I'm assuming he RS, but if he plays could be a huge factor...

Right now to me season rests on *starters:
*DB
*Eli
*Silverio
*Coburn
*Kante
and Ray (interchangeable starter / 6 man)

Burgess, Trueheart, Hughes, Schutte, Miranda all off the bench

Super small lineup, light in the post, but a host of killer all-conf level guards, that's the deal this yr - they better be 1) Fast, 2) Athletic 3) High Scoring 4) Serviceable on D - health is always vital for everyone and every team in every sport so won't list it. :)
Cards

Post by Cards »

daHUPride wrote:The scrimmage was fun to watch. I was amazed at the athletism that these kid show. Being so much closer then where I normally sit – it was a surprise how big and quick these kids are.Cramer – has nice size and moves very well…I really like what I saw in himBurgess – the heir apparent to Buie made a few nice plays with the ball – and didn’t back down on DMiranda – didn’t get solid feel of his game of what I saw – nothing bad…need to see him moreHughes – moves well – does not look comfortable with the ball in the post – but certainly has a nice touch from the perimeterSchutte – looks like he might be getting some miuntes this year – muscular and leaner then years past – hope he can give us some quality playing timeKante – looks bigger then the listed 6’7” – nicknamed the “Beast” – I hope he is more of a beast then I saw today – he needs to be able to catch the ball from DB – as long as DB is our PG it is imperitive for all of our biggies be able roll to the hop Truehart – in a soft cast; I hope HOPE that this is his year – I have always liked his game (knowing he needs to improve) – I just think he can help us so much if he reaches his potentialSilverio – nice addition to our crowded 2-3 position (along with EP, TC, JR) –Ray – bigger then I thought – we all know what he brings to our team – I am still one of the ones that likes him coming off the benchBuie/Pemeberton Pemberton/Buie – they are what we will be – great Hofstra Student/Athletes – hope they go out on top
I'll add some things I took away from this peek into this years team.

Coburn - extremely athletic off the boards, driving to the hoop, and knocking down lots of 3s. I see him as a key offensive weapon this season.
Burgess - If I didn't know, I would have guessed he was a soph. Did not play like a true freshman. Pass first mindset, good handle, decent shooter.
Silverio - put on a 3 pt shooting show. If this is his typical game, the guy will be the 6th man of the year and be "instant offense" coming off the bench.
Schutte - I am more comfortable with him coming in to spell Kante. I don't expect any offense, but if he can play solid D for 6-8 minutes per game - that would be OK.
Kante - I have no worries on offense, he will score (as demonstrated in the first 10 minutes of the scrimmage). Looked pretty adept on D - we shall see.
Ray, Buie, Eli - we know what we have.
Miranda - the talent is there, looks like he just needs experience and time to learn what coaches want him to do. Good size and weight for guard.
Cramer - didn't get very involved in the offense, but had one thundering dunk coming straight down the lane - was the game highlight shot.

Agree with duHUPRIDE - very good and fun event to attend!

Week and a half to go...….
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

triplec2195 wrote:Eli also looking good but sustained an injury in the 3rd scrimmage I don't believe he came back in.
:shock:
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

Do we know if anyone is going to redshirt this year?
garyg

Post by garyg »

Prediction....Cramer and Miranda
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Jojogunne wrote:Do we know if anyone is going to redshirt this year?
I had posed that question to HUSID and he was of the belief that maybe Cramer since he probably wouldn't get a lot of playing time. However Cramer played a lot of minutes with a brace on his leg but looked very much in game shape and had a thunderous dunk. Also as was previously mentioned Stafford was walking around with a cast but said he would be ready soon? There has also been talk that Miranda is having some language issues but others might elaborate on that. Impressive scrimmage nonetheless.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

garyg wrote:Prediction....Cramer and Miranda
Gary nothing personal but you have been going with that narrative a long time and you may well be spot on. It comes down to I think after seeing everyone play how many ways you can divide the pie of playing minutes. If Trueheart should get hurt would you want Cramer available who clearly is a leaper and rebounder who can block shots. I'm sure he'll score in the paint as well. Miranda also deserves minutes IMO since he looks like he has some game as well but we have a plethora of guards and knowing how Joe doesn't like to use a lot of players a red shirt might make sense for Miranda. We'll find out soon enough.
HofstraMathew

Post by HofstraMathew »

This was definitely a great event put on by Hofstra. To add to what dahupride said about these guys being kids is that Coach had each player emphasize what their major was. and they introduced themselves by their academic year not year of eligibility. He also pointed out that Buie should be proud that he is a graduate student; he is going to end up with a Masters in Education.

As far as basketball goes was impressed with all the new guys:
Cramer seemed game ready although he did seem a bit slow on transition and I think once or twice seemed like his knee might have been bothering him. I would still guess (just my guess) he redshirts but I am sure he could provided meaningful minutes if the team decides to go that route.
Silverio looked great. After the scrimmages he was working on some shots; mostly 3's and was just hitting them all.
Wasn't sure what to expect from Miranda but he definitely has the skills to contribute to this team. With the backlog of players we have it might not be this year but he will definitely have a role on this team in the future.

As far as Pemberton's injury; he did attempt to go back in but was quickly subed out for Connor. He had ice on his knee when the players thanked us for coming at the end but he didn't seem to be walking with a limp.
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

Glad to hear from and see many of you at the event....great turnout and GREAT show by the team. Spent most of my time with Ken Rood and Pat Kammerer as I value their opinions of the players...Pat was very impressed with Kante...strong athletic moves and jumps well, as mentioned won all taps. He also showed a nice touch from about 8-10 feet.
Most impressive of the guards and wings were Coburn, a beast and great shooter, Ray, he will start, Silverio, he'll be the sixth man replacing Ray, he's big strong and can shoot, even played the point for a bit. Burgess....gave Buie a real tough time on D, he will be a strong PG for us in the future.

Agree with most that Schutte has come a long way...he held his own against Kante in all the scrimmages...Hughes was a limited factor but he also was playing with a few stitches over his eye after getting whacked a couple of days earlier.
Pemba looked real strong shooting and going to the hoop...heard his injury was not serious, bruised his knee after banging someone.
Miranda is tall athletic and had some nice stretches, Cramer can play and at 6-6, 6-7 could be a real compliment to Kante inside but the speculation is that he will sit this year.
All in all fun morning and good turnout considering the AWFUL weather!
garyg

Post by garyg »

Great to hear all the positive feedback from Sunday's event...program seems to really be taking off...talented roster for upcoming season[s]...two early verbals from talented recruits along with another scholarship to use as needed...anticipation of some nice crowds at the arena this season...NCAA Tournament appearance this season would be "icing on the cake "...

Key to this season is to remain relatively healthy [like last season] and for Kante to stay out of foul trouble
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

We scrimmage Penn today in Philly...hopefully the team puts on a show like it did for us on Sunday!
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

USA Today's CAA preview was written by Kevin Tresolini of the Delaware News Journal. I wonder if that is why Delaware was picked second. They picked:

1. Hofstra
2. Delaware
3. Northeastern
4. Charleston
5. James Madison
6. Drexel
7. Towson
8. William & Mary
9. UNC Wilmington
10. Elon
Last edited by EvanJ on Fri Nov 01, 2019 1:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.