MBB Recruits 2019

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
garyg

Re: MBB Recruits 2019

Post by garyg »

IMO as I stated before Cramer will be redshrted as will Miranda if Silverio is eligible...
RIP_HOFUSA

Post by RIP_HOFUSA »

FWIW during check-in day for the athletes this summer, one of the RA's asked a group of members if someone would be redshirting. I was busy doing work but I do recall them conversing amongst each other and coming to the conclusion that they were not aware of anyone who would be. Obviously the decision is not really in their hands but just something I observed.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

RIP_HOFUSA wrote:FWIW during check-in day for the athletes this summer, one of the RA's asked a group of members if someone would be redshirting. I was busy doing work but I do recall them conversing amongst each other and coming to the conclusion that they were not aware of anyone who would be. Obviously the decision is not really in their hands but just something I observed.
I'm hoping this is true RIP unless they have someone is physically unable to play I would like to see everyone playing to see what we have. Silverio and maybe Cramer would have to sit out but that would be out of their control.
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

It's time we close down the 2019 recruiting thread and open at 2020 one...don't you guys agree>
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

triplec2195 wrote:
RIP_HOFUSA wrote:FWIW during check-in day for the athletes this summer, one of the RA's asked a group of members if someone would be redshirting. I was busy doing work but I do recall them conversing amongst each other and coming to the conclusion that they were not aware of anyone who would be. Obviously the decision is not really in their hands but just something I observed.
I'm hoping this is true RIP unless they have someone who is physically unable to play I would like to see everyone playing to see what we have. Silverio and maybe Cramer would have to sit out but that would be out of their control.
daHUPride

Post by daHUPride »

HUSID74 wrote:It's time we close down the 2019 recruiting thread and open at 2020 one...don't you guys agree>
'

Agree
Polito

Post by Polito »

My (final) thoughts:

Love Kante and Burgess, very excited about Silverio and Cramer, all big time adds IMO (whenever all the redshirt stuff is decided).

But I think it is a mistake to not bring in a proper backup to Kante - and it can be done, that's called recruiting, teams do it every year, and this staff themselves have done it well on paper twice with Walker and Sabety. My thoughts on Hughes and Schutte are known, won't beat a dead horse. Silly to me that we will put that much pressure on one guy, God forbid anything happens - but kind of par for the course with JM - he's only gonna play 6-7 anyway, so I just hope they only ever need a handful of serviceable minutes from those other two (one of which is better suited as a 4 by the way).

Miranda has some talent, but I really don't expect him to be a starter. He is a support player IMO, and in that role he can provide what is needed. Think it will take some time for him to grow into D1 in the CAA, the competition I saw in his film was horrible. He's in for a bit of an acclimation period. Not a complaint, like him as a backup, every team needs that, just making an observation as some seem to think he's as a projected starter here - I see it playing out differently.

Burgess on the other hand would not surprise me one bit to see minutes this year. That's a newbie that's game ready. Body to follow.

Radovic I kind of called, felt it was a huge mistake to not redshirt him year 1 - really think that messed him up - transfer is for the best now for both sides. Will be interesting to see how Trueheart uses this added opportunity...

Honestly I don't 'want' to close the discussion on this class, feel strongly they need better help in the post, but because I agree they prob aren't doing anything else guess we have to.

But hey all in all, another really strong exciting talented group coming in that can make a big impact, AND really appreciate that they did it relatively early for once!
garyg

Post by garyg »

Any word on Silverio's status for next season ???
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

NCAA has not made its decision is what I hear.
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

ProudofPride wrote:Looks like Carl Gibson is joining the team as a preferred walk-on.

https://twitter.com/TheHoopGroup/status ... 0922710017
https://njhoops.rivals.com/news/gibson-makes-plans
Clue me in what does this mean preferred walk-on??
dutchalum01

Post by dutchalum01 »

triplec2195 wrote:
ProudofPride wrote:Looks like Carl Gibson is joining the team as a preferred walk-on.

guaranteed roster spot - no scholarship.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

dutchalum01 wrote:
triplec2195 wrote:

So that I'm understanding this correctly am I to assume that Carl will be given a scholarship in 2020? I thought we had one scholarship left e.g. 12 schollies used and one remaining. Is that last scholarship being saved for a possible last minute signing(BIG). If we have a scholarship left why aren't we giving it to Carl?? I understood the difference between a preferred walk on and and just a walk on is that the preferred is recruited by the school and the walk on recruits himself. The preferred would have been given a scholarship except there r no scholarships left to be given so he signs on as a preferred with the agreement that he will be given a scholarship the following year. Is this correct???
dutchalum01

Post by dutchalum01 »

triplec2195 wrote:
dutchalum01 wrote:
triplec2195 wrote: Clue me in what does this mean preferred walk-on??

So that I'm understanding this correctly am I to assume that Carl will be given a scholarship in 2020? I thought we had one scholarship left e.g. 12 schollies used and one remaining. Is that last scholarship being saved for a possible last minute signing(BIG). If we have a scholarship left why aren't we giving it to Carl?? I understood the difference between a preferred walk on and and just a walk on is that the preferred is recruited by the school and the walk on recruits himself. The preferred would have been given a scholarship except there r no scholarships left to be given so he signs on as a preferred with the agreement that he will be given a scholarship the following year. Is this correct???
a preferred is not guaranteed a scholarship, he will have to earn one.

triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

OK so he could conceivably just turn into a walk on. Is anyone privy to any inside info. on this kid. There is video on the internet on him just wondering if anybody has anything beyond this.
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

Nope never heard of him...a preferred walk on has no status re: scholarship...they may have brought him on because they need another body for practice, etc. This may indicate one or two red shirts are in the offing.
dutchalum01

Post by dutchalum01 »

He fills the bucket but has an unorthodox shot. No clue as to how he’ll do against Division 1 talent. Could simply be a body or he could potentially surprise some based off his high school stats.

cactus
Site Admin

Post by cactus »

Miranda is still listed as #3 on the roster on gohofstra.com...

https://gohofstra.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=6288
The Shadow

Post by The Shadow »

Omar Silverio is eligible for 2019-20 as per GoHofstra website. This now really changes the rotation, finally some good luck for HU.
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

The Shadow wrote:Omar Silverio is eligible for 2019-20 as per GoHofstra website. This now really changes the rotation, finally some good luck for HU.
That's great news! He is clearly a great scorer but his defense is suspect so he'll fit right in! Now we have multiple weapons at the two, three spots, even at four if we go small. My sense is that they will now redshirt Cramer.