MBB Recruits 2019

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
stuball888

Re: MBB Recruits 2019

Post by stuball888 »

Greetings from Ireland On Vacation team will have to do what the team did after Speedy graduated Time for the upper classmen to step up
daHUPride

Post by daHUPride »

cactus wrote:
HUSID74 wrote:
dutchalum01 wrote:Look. Plain and simple, JWF = one of Hofstra’s GOAT. However, we did not win a championship with him. One guy cannot do it all, just as with the new team, one guy cannot do it all. Ray, Buie, Pem and Cobourn will all be better - Buie should have his best year yet, kid has improved year over year. Ray, same thing, Cobourn with a solid year under his belt will be improved. Add a capable center along with Kante and this team should for all practical purposes be as good if not better than last years team. If, JWF had one additional year, I would be more confident than any other Hofstra team that this upcoming team would be dancing. Our guard play should absolutely light up the CAA - even without #3.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Well said dutch, just about everyone on the floor will be better than last year; the returning starters. Kante will be more productive than Taylor, Ray cannot not be expected to score like Justin but I see him giving us 12-15 points, if Silverio plays he can give us 10 or so points and the backups will be better too. Last year we essentially had no back up PG, this year we have Burgess...Up front hopefully we can get 5-7 points from the three headed back up of Trueheart, Schutte, and Hughes. In the backcourt we will have Miranda, hopefully Silverio and as I already mentioned Burgess....we may even have Kramer...there is no official word as to whether he will be red-shirting yet.
I think they will play better as a team next year since everyone knows they have to step it up without JWF. But that's a big ask for Kante to be more productive right away than Taylor, who was the second best player on the team last year. He's not going to be the same kind of shot blocker either. He's basically got to be Cacok right out of the gate for that to happen.
Agree with Cactus - Taylor was a great CAA Bigman; a God-send to HU; a perfect fit - size, skill...Kante is a different player and has the potential to be a force for HU - but big shoes to fill. Adding a C to play with Kante - uh-fa!!! From your lips to Gods ears.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

I'm not so sure I'm drinking the cool aid you guys are making especially not knowing who will actually suit up for us this year. If you tell me Silverio is eligible and that Cramer will be playing then I'm much more optimistic. We will have a lot of depth with Silverio and Cramer gives us an aggressive rebounder and shot blocker based on what I read about him. He will also score but we have no legitimate backup for Kante and the 5 concerns me especially since Kante has played very little D-1 basketball. We have a good nucleus of a team coming back and we won't have one player scoring a third of the teams points. So yes maybe more balanced and distributing the ball better with less one on one play. A team like NE last year with a lot of role players. I'm excited though looking forward to how this team comes together and anxious to see the new players but still hoping for a back up to Kante.
garyg

Post by garyg »

Predictions:

a] Silverio will be eligible next season

b] Cramer and Miranda will redshirt next season IF Silverio is eligible

c] We will begin next season with 10 scholarship players

d] Team will average about the same PPG next season as they did this past season

Key player is Pemberton....if he shows up every game and plays up to his potential we will be strong contenders in the CAA

Biggest potential problems will be interior defense and rebounding...Taylor was a great defensive player inside who generally stayed out of foul trouble..keep in mind Kante is listed at only 6-7...also because of the zone defense JAM likes to play guys like Ray, Colburn, Pemberton and Silverio will get beat up inside
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

KANTE IS A BEAST along the lines of Brantly and Cacock. The staff obviously feels that he can be a huge factor inside backed up by Hughes, Truehart and Schutte in that order
The Shadow

Post by The Shadow »

According to Verbal Commits, Matija Radovic is transferring to D2 American International.
Captain

Post by Captain »

I am told by my insider friend that Hughes is the best shot blocker on the team. He may fill out in the next few years but for now may be too slight to spend much time under the hoop.
As for Schuette, my opinion is if the staff has given up on him, they would have encouraged him to go elsewhere.
He is a big dude like Sabety, unpolished like Sabety, possibly a foul machine like Sabety sometimes was. I think he will hustle and grab rebounds and defend the post. Give us 10 minutes a game this season and I will be happy.
The big kid who left HU a couple of years ago, was not basketball smart and wanted no part of mixing it up underneath...this is not Schuette.
Hofstra

Post by Hofstra »

The Shadow wrote:According to Verbal Commits, Matija Radovic is transferring to D2 American International.
Good. I wish him the best. He didnt seem ready for this level of ball.
dutchalum01

MBB Recruits 2019

Post by dutchalum01 »

Captain wrote:I am told by my insider friend that Hughes is the best shot blocker on the team. He may fill out in the next few years but for now may be too slight to spend much time under the hoop.
As for Schuette, my opinion is if the staff has given up on him, they would have encouraged him to go elsewhere.
He is a big dude like Sabety, unpolished like Sabety, possibly a foul machine like Sabety sometimes was. I think he will hustle and grab rebounds and defend the post. Give us 10 minutes a game this season and I will be happy.
The big kid who left HU a couple of years ago, was not basketball smart and wanted no part of mixing it up underneath...this is not Schuette.
I would happily take 10 per game from Schuette, 5 minutes from Hughes and the rest from Kante, especially if he fits the bill. I’d like to merge the two - Hughes and Shuette will be referenced as “Huette” from me moving forward. Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
garyg

Post by garyg »

Captain wrote:I am told by my insider friend that Hughes is the best shot blocker on the team. He may fill out in the next few years but for now may be too slight to spend much time under the hoop.
Somebody posted about 6 weeks ago that Hughes was up to about 225, still light for someone 6-9 or 6-10 but heading in the right direction...I can see Schuette or Hughes filling the Dan Dwyer role next season
Cards

Post by Cards »

My biggest question is how mobile is HH? I'm not worried about his mobility playing 5 minutes in the paint, I'm wondering if he is mobile enough to play 5-10 minutes of defense at the 4 spot? Meaning, can he get to the corner to play D and still be able to get back to rebound and defend close to the block? We have all heard about his ability to knock down 3s (albeit in practice only), but if he is agile enough to give us a few minutes playing with Kante on the floor, it might be very difficult for other teams to match up against us. Anyone know anything about how he moves??
garyg

Post by garyg »

We offered a Caleb Burgess team mate at Moravian Prep...6-10 Javarzia Belton
cactus
Site Admin

Post by cactus »

garyg wrote:We offered a Caleb Burgess team mate at Moravian Prep...6-10 Javarzia Belton
Looks like a hell of an athlete. He's class of 2020 though.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
RIP_HOFUSA

Post by RIP_HOFUSA »

It's move in day for the basketball teams and I got to talk to JR. He believes in himself and thinks he will be the breakout player, and he's been working hard to make himself stronger. That should help a lot if he wants to create more of inside game He has high hopes for the team and really believes in HH. Thinks he will be good for them this year. Also believes that the team will be more balanced overall with the departure of JWF. Spirits seem pretty high so we'll see how it goes down. I still have high hopes EP will bring it all together this year and have that true breakout year of dominance that he's definitely capable of. Also, JT is on the summer housing roster.....
garyg

Post by garyg »

RIP_HOFUSA wrote:It's move in day for the basketball teams and I got to talk to JR. He believes in himself and thinks he will be the breakout player, and he's been working hard to make himself stronger. That should help a lot if he wants to create more of inside game He has high hopes for the team and really believes in HH. Thinks he will be good for them this year. Also believes that the team will be more balanced overall with the departure of JWF. Spirits seem pretty high so we'll see how it goes down. I still have high hopes EP will bring it all together this year and have that true breakout year of dominance that he's definitely capable of. Also, JT is on the summer housing roster.....

Thanks for the info RIP....everything seems very positive
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

Here's a potential one and done big, John Carlos Reyes from Boston College; 6-10 averaged 1.9 ppg 1.0 rpg last season, just entered the transfer portal.

Also we offered 2020 big man Javarzia Belton, 6-10 240...looks like a college senior; he's already huge!
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

HUSID74 wrote:Here's a potential one and done big, John Carlos Reyes from Boston College; 6-10 averaged 1.9 ppg 1.0 rpg last season, just entered the transfer portal.

Also we offered 2020 big man Javarzia Belton, 6-10 240...looks like a college senior; he's already huge!
Looking at his stats on BC's website he certainly is a better player then his numbers show and has had some big games relatively speaking against major schools. He also got to start some games. So HUSID is this just wishful thinking or is there potentially more to this??
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

Nothing more than a potential fill-in for next year although I believe we are done recruiting for 2019.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

I think the jury is out on what we have moving forward until we know who's playing and who's not. One way or the other we will be competitive and this will not be a re-building year for us.
Cards

Post by Cards »

triplec2195 wrote:I think the jury is out on what we have moving forward until we know who's playing and who's not. One way or the other we will be competitive and this will not be a re-building year for us.
Agree 100%. Questions still remain, but the one question as to whether or not HU will be competitive can be answered. We will be competitive and in the upper half of the CAA (from my lips to Gods ears).