CAA Sports/Flo Sports Partnership

Discussions about the rest of the college sports world
Wags

CAA Sports/Flo Sports Partnership

Post by Wags »

Although it sounds like this won't affect the vast majority of CAA Sports telecasts, this new partnership has been met with some criticism (from what I'm seeing) from some CAA fans from a variety of CAA schools.

It also sounds like somewhat of a desperate move on the CAA's part, as if the conference is losing money and is trying to bring in new revenue in however it can. I don't see this as being a success as I don't see too many CAA Sports fans willing to pay $12.50 per month for the content being offered. But we'll see what happens.

Here's what CAA Sports is saying on it:

https://twitter.com/CAASports/status/11 ... 4231023618

"Excited to announce a four-year, seven-figure annual partnership with @flosports that will put more than 300 #CAASports games on the FloSports network beginning in the 2019-20 season."

"Subscriptions will be accessible toward the end of July and will be $12.50 per month. No annual subscription required."

"We are still going to have plenty of content on http://CAA.tv each year so make sure you keep it!"
Wags

Re: CAA Sports/Flo Sports Partnership

Post by Wags »

Here's more on this:
https://awfulannouncing.com/ncaa/caa-pr ... ports.html

This part sounds pretty good:

“This is going to be a cutting-edge deal,” CAA Commissioner Joe D’Antonio said. “To be honest, for a conference our size, this will be a significant revenue source for all of our schools.”

This, however, sounds iffy:

"...as for the CAA, they managed to find a partner who was willing to pay them a (seven-figure) rights fee, which will bring some more revenue to their schools. But this does come with extra costs and hurdles for some fans, and some certainly won’t be thrilled about many of their school’s games heading to FloSports."
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

On CSNBBS they say that $12.50 per month isn't totally accurate. That is the price is you pay for a year. The one month cost is $29.99. Therefore you could pay four months for Men's Basketball for $119.96, but then you might as well pay $150 for three times the length. Since Hofstra doesn't play Football, I think the percent of Hofstra fans interested mostly in Men's Basketball would be higher than for teams that made the FCS Playoffs and were in the bottom half of the Men's Basketball NET like JMU, Delaware, and Elon.

I pay for ESPN Plus, which includes a lot, and had four of Hofstra's six Men's Basketball out of conference away games. I'm not planning on paying for FloSports. Hofstra hasn't had a CAA regular season game on TV in the last two seasons, and CBS Sports Network will have a few in 2019-2020. It won't attract new fans to help attendance if you can't tell somebody to try watching on TV or online for free because you have to pay. What could help attendance is if people who go to some but not all home games decide that rather than paying FloSports, they will buy season tickets. If the TV and streaming schedule is announced at Media Day a couple of weeks before the Men's Basketball season, season tickets will have been on sale way before then, but I would think Hofstra would keep selling season tickets for available seats. We'll see if Football season tells much about how many Men's Basketball games will be streamed for free. Somebody who broadcasts at a school not in the CAA said that they charged for video one season, hardly anybody paid, and they went back to streaming for free.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

I read on CSNBBS that CBS Sports Network will show eight CAA games, so that's 8.9 percent of the 90 games, and some teams will be on once or not at all. Teams will be able to sell ads and make money from FloSports, although if not many people pay FloSports teams may not make much from it.