MBB Recruits 2019

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
Polito

Re: MBB Recruits 2019

Post by Polito »

Might be worth a look, but I have a LOT of trust in this staffs recruiting, esp the transfer market - their biggest strength, they've earned it. If they look at him and want him, then I'll believe it's for a reason. If not, same deal.

Mikey77, I know what you are saying, but a related point on that: I don't agree with every meaning of that statement. HU is a strong mid major D1 program in NY in one of the tougher mid conferences. No, they shouldn't 'turn their noses up', but there is a level of talent and standard that is required to play here. Projects are just as detrimental to a mid program as is ignoring or missing under-recruited potential.

It's a fine line. This isn't Central CT and the NEC. This isn't the HU of 1990. HU in fact does have the need and ability to be selective to a certain point, and should be if they expect to have dancing a reality. No interest in just taking a guy because HU isn't a P5 and should take whoever they can - that is not true, and thankfully that is not how this staff operates. Their recruiting is VERY strategic and specific. There is a plan, method, and process. Not perfect, but they've got my trust in that dept.

Also, I think we all need to remember that not every player is brought on to eventually be on the court on a regular basis - there are guys that are simply practice guys, or guys to help boost GPA, etc.

Schutte IMO, as you all already know, will never see meaningful minutes here - if he does, HU has not done the recruiting job properly. Yes, he is and can be a minor backup, but he really shouldn't even be needed for that. I would much prefer to see JT and Kante man the middle next year. That would make Schutte the backups backup, and frankly, that's about what it should be. No knock on the young man, but that's the role for some. And if JT doesn't come back, then I would hope and bet that HU will bring in another - this would be very telling.

Hughes, we'll see. Jury out - possible potential, but I have high skepticism that he will be a CAA level guy. Not knocking him either, that is IMO not really his role, BUT hey we'll see - he'll have his chance.

Matija to me prob has more of a shot (though still small) to provide meaningful backup minutes - and it will prob just be that for him. But I think they mis managed him - should've RS last year, and just grabbed a few this year and so on. Without that, he was thrown in well before he was ready, and I think that slowed down his growth. He still looks raw to me in the few minutes he's played. But I would say he does have at least some potential to fill a quality backup role at the 3/4. Again we'll see.

HU should not be in a position to rely on any of those 3 - should be a nice surprise scenario, not a dependency. I fully expect this staff to bring in very high quality players to fill the 2 deep, including this next class outside of those guys. The others have their deeper bench/practice/emergency roles.
garyg

Post by garyg »

PG prospect Caleb Burgess supposedly had his official visit with St. Bonaventure on March 9th...he had an official visit with us prior to that...this guy is just what we need and would love to see him as our PG of the future...anyone hear any recruiting news ??
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

Hear that he is the guy we want and he is real close.
HofstraMathew

Post by HofstraMathew »

HUSID74 wrote:Hear that he is the guy we want and he is real close.
Close to picking us or just close to making a decision in general?
Polito

Post by Polito »

Take ALL DAY. Love this kids game. Aggressive, high motor, ballsy, 6'3, shoots, drives, passes, DEFENDS, has some dog, fearless, shows up in big games. Let me think...YES please.

Commit and he's the 2020 HU starting PG.
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

HofstraMathew wrote:
HUSID74 wrote:Hear that he is the guy we want and he is real close.
Close to picking us or just close to making a decision in general?
To us.
daHUPride

Post by daHUPride »

An old HU recruit has come available on the transfer wire - PG Jaylen Franklin UMass.
Don't know much about him other then he was on our radar - he choose UMass - and hes transfer.
Cards

Post by Cards »

daHUPride wrote:An old HU recruit has come available on the transfer wire - PG Jaylen Franklin UMass.
Don't know much about him other then he was on our radar - he choose UMass - and hes transfer.
From the UMass team roster - player bios

2016-17 - Freshman: Served as a manager for the men's basketball program before moving into a walk-on role following the season.
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

Not in the Cards! Two good pg prospects, we need to sign one...would not object to two actually...nice to have some competition for once.
garyg

Post by garyg »

Wonder if they will hold on to a scholly in hopes that NCAA will grant Taylor another year ??

Will probably take a while for NCAA to reach decision
HofstraMathew

Post by HofstraMathew »

garyg wrote:Wonder if they will hold on to a scholly in hopes that NCAA will grant Taylor another year ??

Will probably take a while for NCAA to reach decision
I was sort of thinking that too and maybe if they don't grant Taylor the extra year does anyone think they would reward Conner with a scholarship for his senior year?
joeg1

Post by joeg1 »

JT is 24...we assume he wants to play another yr of college ball?
dutchiedoright

Post by dutchiedoright »

I'm in my 50's........I'd play tomorrow !!!
garyg

Post by garyg »

Recent success by St. Bonaventure [and if they win their conference championship] will probably have a major impact as to what school Caleb Burgess selects...we had our chance
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

I hear he was not thrilled with St. Bona and he was not at the A 10 Champs.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

R we going to seal the deal on this kid??
Polito

Post by Polito »

Prediction: he is not going to St Bon. Thankfully they did not win the A10, SLU did. And NO post-season, not even NIT. I also don't think they are looking hard at him, I think they have other top targets. Zero buzz on him up there. SBU is one of those programs that thinks it is a bit bigger than it is, and tries to recruit that way (no knock there, just an observation).

Contrast to HU where he is target numero uno for the PG spot.

He will be the near guarenteed starter post-Buie - major PT, still a good program, HU has proven success with guards in school and pros - I think HU grabs a big steal here.
Polito

Post by Polito »

P.S. Butler and UCF have reached out to Burgess... no offer yet, but def need to get him locked down asap!
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

A lot of talk re Caleb Burgess but maybe we're getting beat to the punch here according to verbal commits he has been visited at home by the coach of St. Bonaventure. That doesn't sound good boys??
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

I hear it is virtually done, that the kid wants to wait until signing day in April...that being said you never know.

He will be a key to our future, we need a bigger, more physical team if we are going to go anywhere in the post-season and a 6-3 PG is a good start.